Start by marking “In the Driver's Seat: Interstate Trucking -- A Journey” as Want to Read:
In the Driver's Seat: Interstate Trucking -- A Journey

In the Driver's Seat: Interstate Trucking -- A Journey

People asked me, "What's interstate trucking like? What's it really like out there on the road?" My short answer was always the same. "You have to like being alone." In The Driver's Seat -- memoir, travelogue, portrait of an industry -- is the long answer. One month after his 45th birthday, Marc Mayfield became a long-haul truck driver, something he'd always wanted to do. ...more
Published June 1st 2011 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about In the Driver's Seat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Driver's Seat

Shannon
Sep 21, 2011 Shannon is currently reading it
Shelves: first-reads
You have to like being alone, tired very very tired, and able to deal with idiots. Dispatch, shippers, receivers, 4 wheelers. I can't wait to read this book! See how realistic it actually is. 13 years on the road, so I'll know.

FYI~ Most truck drivers (myself included) can't stand the term "trucker". We're drivers. You can't "truck" anything but you can "drive".

This was not a Giveaway win but the author sent it to me for review.
Carol E.
Aug 23, 2014 Carol E. rated it it was ok
This is a self-published memoir. Mayfield had admired 18-wheelers ever since he was a kid, but he didn't take up trucking as a career until he was 45. He instantly loved it and stuck with it for many years. He loved the solitude and the opportunity to see sights all around the U.S. and Canada, and he was good at the job.

I found the inside look at trucking to be pretty interesting. One hears of the lack of sleep, the poor condition trucks may or may not be in, the hazards of the job... so it was
Kristen Byers
Feb 29, 2012 Kristen Byers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookrooster
Marc gives an incredible first-person account of life on the road driving an 18-wheeler. From earning his CDL to his first accident to leasing his own truck to marital struggles as a result of him never being home, Marc's tale is honest and provides readers with insight into the work of semi-truck drivers.

The book is written almost as a stream of consciousness, with various memories strung together related to a particular theme, but the majority of the story occurs in chronological order, from t
Kim (Wistfulskimmies Book Reviews)
I received a complimentary copy of this book in order to review it. I wasn't sure what to expect from a 'trucking memoir'. What I got was a fascinating insight into life on the road. From the beginning of his career to the end, we are teated to a candid view of the authors life. Written part as anecdote and part diary, it was funny, moving and very informative. We learn it can be lonely, humbling, difficult but above all life changing being a Trucker.

I recommend this, as it is a good read. Never
Axle Black
Mar 20, 2013 Axle Black rated it it was amazing
I've read books written by professors of the linguistic arts who don't write as well as Mayfield.
He can carry on with his story and insert bits of relevant information along the way smoothly and seamlessly. He can tell of situations that would raise the ire of a saint and yet keep his cool. He can take happenings that actually invite embellishment and make them stand out on their own. As a veteran trucker myself, I can testify that Mark has seen a lot of territory and has a gift for telling abou
Ruth Donald
Nov 20, 2011 Ruth Donald rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone curious about the man in the truck.
Recommended to Ruth by: Marc Mayfield
I truly enjoyed this book. Having worked in the trucking industry, albeit not as a driver, this book brought back memories of the trucking scene in the late 80's, early 90's for me. It's very well written, with well drawn characters and interesting anecdotes woven together to paint a vivid picture of 10 years of a driver's life.

It's not an easy life, but it can be addictive, and like Marc says, "You have to like being alone". I wish I had enough years left to try it myself!
E
Oct 03, 2011 E rated it it was amazing
Marc Mayfield's book, In the Driver's Seat, provides a wonderful opportunity to follow his 10 year career as a long distance truck driver. Through hard work and perserverance, he was able to do something he had always wanted to do and his story is memorable. Marc Mayfield learned a great deal about the profession as well as learning about himself.
This is a beautifully written book and I highly recommend it.
I received this book at no charge in exchange for a review.
Michael Parton
Dec 03, 2012 Michael Parton rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Michael by: No one just picked up in store
I thought this book was great! It tells everything from when he started out in trucking to the end. If I had to recommend a book to someone this would have to be the one. One of the best books I have read in a long time.
Michael Koogler
Dec 12, 2012 Michael Koogler rated it really liked it
Definite must-read for anyone in the transportation industry and anyone that wants to know what trucker's really have to deal with on a day-to-day basis.
Alexander
Alexander rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2016
geraldmarcotte
geraldmarcotte rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2015
Teresa
Teresa rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2011
Randolph Rosarion
Randolph Rosarion rated it liked it
May 03, 2014
Mark Ayling
Mark Ayling rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2014
Bandit
Bandit rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2012
David Tatum
David Tatum rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2016
Ruth
Ruth rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2011
Jerry
Jerry rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2014
Stefan
Stefan rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2015
Tommy Mcguire
Tommy Mcguire rated it really liked it
May 31, 2014
Dan
Dan rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2012
Jeffrey Bokma
Jeffrey Bokma rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2015
Stuart
Stuart rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2011
J.F. Ridgley
J.F. Ridgley rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2013
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2015
Jennifer rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2012
Pat Monahan
Pat Monahan rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2012
Todd Dills
Sep 23, 2011 Todd Dills rated it really liked it
A very good book, this. Really hits the long-haul-trucking nail on the head.
Colin Mackenzie
Colin Mackenzie rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2013
Interested in just about everything, I'm particularly drawn to electric guitars, science, history, the natural world, Bretz floods, art, books, firearms, and architecture. The universe is one fascinating place.

I read for writing rather than story, which over the years has steered me toward nonfiction and away from fiction. But not always. If a writer's words are brought together with care, I'll st
More about Marc Mayfield...