Start by marking “187 Reasons Mexicanos Can't Cross the Border: Undocuments, 1971-2007” as Want to Read:
187 Reasons Mexicanos Can't Cross the Border: Undocuments, 1971-2007

187 Reasons Mexicanos Can't Cross the Border: Undocuments, 1971-2007

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A hybrid collection of texts written and performed on the road, from Mexico City to San Francisco, from Central America to central California, illustrated throughout with photos and artwork. Rants, manifestos, newspaper cutups, street theater, anti-lectures, love poems, and riffs tell the story of what it’s like to live outlaw and brown in the United States.

Juan Felipe Her
Published November 1st 2007 by City Lights Publishers

To ask other readers questions about 187 Reasons Mexicanos Can't Cross the Border, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 187 Reasons Mexicanos Can't Cross the Border

City Lights
City Lights Author Juan Felipe Herrera Receives PEN West Poetry Award!

For his collection of verse spanning over three decades, 187 Reasons Mexicanos Can't Cross the Border, Juan Felipe Herrera has been awarded this year's PEN West award for outstanding poetry. City Lights congratulates the "wildly inventive" (New York Times) Juan Felipe!

Read the praise for 187 Reasonsin the New York Times Book Review!
"Herrera is . . . a sometimes hermetic, wildly inventive, always unpredictable poet, whose work
Ben Trentelman
Despite the fact that the Mexican population is growing greater in the U.S. every day, many people choose to remain ignorant of the history of our neighbors and friends from South of the border. After reading Herrera’s new book I felt like I had gained a great deal of insight about the experience of living in the U.S. as a Mexican. I also realized that I knew much less about Mexican culture than I would like to admit.
Herrera compiled over thirty years of “undocumets” consisting of poetry, journ
Rafael Reynoso
A hybrid collection of texts written and performed on the road, from Mexico City to San Francisco, from Central America to central California, illustrated throughout with photos and artwork. Rants, manifestos, newspaper cutups, street theater, anti-lectures, love poems, and riffs tell the story of what it's like to live outlaw and brown in the United States.

Amy
unBELIEVABLE! The best thing I've come across in maybe 10 years, since I discovered Jo Carol Pierce. Better than Springsteen. It's not music, but it moves like music.
Rachel
I saw the author read the title piece in Arcata somewhere around 1995 (that's the year on my photocopied copy). Wonderful!
Galindo
I have a new favorite poet and his name is Juan Felipe Herrera.
Carlos Cumpian
Herrera is a giant and just won't let Xicanos be invisible.
George
This is Juan Felipe Herrera at his best.
PEN Center USA
2009 PEN Center USA Poetry Award Winner
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Connie
Connie marked it as to-read
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Rosemary Rodriguez
Rosemary Rodriguez marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Cort
Cort marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Kvance
Kvance marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Zoey
Zoey marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Fabiola
Fabiola marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Katrina Ruiz
Katrina Ruiz marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Thing Two
Thing Two marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Alexander
Alexander marked it as to-read
Mona
Mona marked it as to-read
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Briana
Briana marked it as to-read
Naila
Naila marked it as to-read
Ronnie
Ronnie marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
  • Collected Poems, 1948-1984
  • Slow Lightning
  • A Million Nightingales
  • Flower Children
Juan Felipe Herrera is the only son of Lucha Quintana and Felipe Emilio Herrera; the three were campesinos living from crop to crop on the roads of the San Joaquín Valley, Southern California and the Salinas Valley. Herrera's experiences as the child of migrant farmers have strongly shaped his work, such as the children's book Calling the Doves, which won the Ezra Jack Keats award in 1997. He is a ...more
More about Juan Felipe Herrera...
Calling the Doves/El canto de las palomas The Upside Down Boy/El nino de cabeza Portraits of Hispanic American Heroes Half of the World in Light: New and Selected Poems Cinnamon Girl: Letters Found Inside a Cereal Box