Start by marking “187 Reasons Mexicanos Can't Cross the Border: Undocuments, 1971-2007” as Want to Read:
187 Reasons Mexicanos Can't Cross the Border: Undocuments, 1971-2007

187 Reasons Mexicanos Can't Cross the Border: Undocuments, 1971-2007

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A hybrid collection of texts written and performed on the road, from Mexico City to San Francisco, from Central America to central California, illustrated throughout with photos and artwork. Rants, manifestos, newspaper cutups, street theater, anti-lectures, love poems, and riffs tell the story of what it’s like to live outlaw and brown in the United States.

Juan Felipe Her
Published November 1st 2007 by City Lights Publishers

To ask other readers questions about 187 Reasons Mexicanos Can't Cross the Border, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 187 Reasons Mexicanos Can't Cross the Border

City Lights
City Lights Author Juan Felipe Herrera Receives PEN West Poetry Award!

For his collection of verse spanning over three decades, 187 Reasons Mexicanos Can't Cross the Border, Juan Felipe Herrera has been awarded this year's PEN West award for outstanding poetry. City Lights congratulates the "wildly inventive" (New York Times) Juan Felipe!

Read the praise for 187 Reasonsin the New York Times Book Review!
"Herrera is . . . a sometimes hermetic, wildly inventive, always unpredictable poet, whose work
Ben Trentelman
Despite the fact that the Mexican population is growing greater in the U.S. every day, many people choose to remain ignorant of the history of our neighbors and friends from South of the border. After reading Herrera’s new book I felt like I had gained a great deal of insight about the experience of living in the U.S. as a Mexican. I also realized that I knew much less about Mexican culture than I would like to admit.
Herrera compiled over thirty years of “undocumets” consisting of poetry, journ
Rafael Reynoso
A hybrid collection of texts written and performed on the road, from Mexico City to San Francisco, from Central America to central California, illustrated throughout with photos and artwork. Rants, manifestos, newspaper cutups, street theater, anti-lectures, love poems, and riffs tell the story of what it's like to live outlaw and brown in the United States.

Amy
unBELIEVABLE! The best thing I've come across in maybe 10 years, since I discovered Jo Carol Pierce. Better than Springsteen. It's not music, but it moves like music.
Rachel
I saw the author read the title piece in Arcata somewhere around 1995 (that's the year on my photocopied copy). Wonderful!
Galindo
I have a new favorite poet and his name is Juan Felipe Herrera.
Carlos Cumpian
Herrera is a giant and just won't let Xicanos be invisible.
George
This is Juan Felipe Herrera at his best.
PEN Center USA
2009 PEN Center USA Poetry Award Winner
Laura Mena
Laura Mena marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Jonathan Navas
Jonathan Navas marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Beatriz
Beatriz marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Natalie Sue
Natalie Sue marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
John
John added it
Mar 06, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2013
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2013
Aida Manduley
Aida Manduley marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2013
Elisabeth Raskopf
Elisabeth Raskopf marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2013
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
May 09, 2013
Maure Briggs-Carrington
Maure Briggs-Carrington marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Poetry and Politics 1 6 Aug 28, 2008 05:34PM
Juan Felipe Herrera is the only son of Lucha Quintana and Felipe Emilio Herrera; the three were campesinos living from crop to crop on the roads of the San Joaquín Valley, Southern California and the Salinas Valley. Herrera's experiences as the child of migrant farmers have strongly shaped his work, such as the children's book Calling the Doves, which won the Ezra Jack Keats award in 1997. He is a ...more
More about Juan Felipe Herrera...
Calling the Doves/El canto de las palomas The Upside Down Boy/El nino de cabeza Cinnamon Girl: Letters Found Inside a Cereal Box Crashboomlove: A Novel in Verse Downtown Boy