Start by marking “My Thomas” as Want to Read:
My Thomas

My Thomas

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Thomas Jefferson wrote that all men are equal and all have a right to liberty, yet he kept in bondage numerous slaves, including his own wife's half brothers and half sisters. He was an aristocrat who early in his life came to champion the cause of the common man; he never much cared for public service, but he gave to it more than half his life. There were so many contradi ...more
Published December 11th 1992 by Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about My Thomas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Thomas

Luthien
Some of the founding fathers’ wives—sometimes called the “founding mothers”—were inspirational, even heroic. (See: Abigail Adams, Dolley Madison.) Some were pitiable and even tragic. (See: Patrick Henry’s first wife, Sarah.)

Martha Jefferson would probably fall into the latter category. Unfortunately, she left very little impression on the historical record. That’s just the way the cookie crumbles, particularly when your husband is Thomas Jefferson.

That’s not to say her life didn’t matter, or th
Peggy
My Thomas is author Grimes' own love letter to Thomas Jefferson, a man of strong convictions, principles and contradictions. Using the device of his wife Martha's private Journal, rescued by one of the Jefferson's slaves, Ms. Grimes puts a more human face on this eminent statesman in this First Reads giveaway I won.

Little is known about the actual Martha Jefferson because of her husband's penchant for destroying personal papers to preserve his privacy, but I'm not convinced that the Martha imag
Serena Gulledge
The story of Thomas and Martha Jefferson, while not as popular- or as controversial- as his relationship with Sally Hemings, gets its due with this book as told through Martha's point of view. She views Jefferson as only a wife can, so I found his portrayal in this book as a tad over-romanticized. I still enjoyed the book, and I'd recommend it to history fans.
Anna Marini
I highly recommend My Thomas. It is a terrific, well written historic novel; it contains little known historical information about Thomas and Martha Jefferson. Ms. Grimes command of the written word is beautiful and reminiscent of a modern-version Jane Austen style. Thomas and Martha Jefferson's love story is not to be missed. You won't be able to put it down!
Delicious Strawberry
I definitely enjoyed this novel. I'm not sure whether to call this an biography or historical fiction. Given what a private man Thomas was and how little we know of Martha Wayles Skelton Jefferson (we don't even have a single painting of her) this book might be better termed as historical fiction, although it stars an actual historical figure.

Nonetheless, this is a good book and one that I enjoyed a lot. I think that Ms. Grimes did a nice job, giving how scant information about Mrs. Jefferson is
Shirley
This was a long and arduous book to read but in the end I truly did like it and it was a huge insight into the lives of Thomas Jefferson and his wife and the times in which they lived. Anyone who likes to read history brought to life would enjoy this book.
F.
I received this book from the goodreads-first-reads free giveaway. The format of the book was interesting but as I continued reading, it became a bit dull and boring. I think it would have been better to have some historical content or documentation surrounding the entries or to split into chapters. It is written in a 'diary' fashion and you get an idea of Martha attempting to describe Thomas in a positive light and also describe her emotions towards him but it becomes monotone.
Diana
Martha Wayles Skelton is a 22 year old widow when Thomas Jefferson comes in to her life. She had no intention of remarrying but fell deeply in love with her Thomas.

I was fascinated with many aspects of this story. The research was extraordinary. I particularly enjoyed the details of the clothing worn during this time period.

Thomas Jefferson was portrayed not only as a brilliant mind who loved his books, almost as much as his wife, but also as a kind man with a heart who cared and fought for the
Gail Bartels
I enjoyed this book and will read some others by this author. I found the lives very interesting and was able to relate to the history of the time.
Caroline Johnson
Won this book from Goodreads. Fans of Historical Novels will love this. Very detailed writings from Martha Jefferson's diaries.
Mary Robinson
I liked this imagining of the life and thoughts of Thomas Jefferson’s wife, Martha, whose story is told in the form of a diary. It was especially interesting to see how her thoughts about slavery evolved as she ages from a pampered Southern belle to a mature woman who finally sees the slave she grew up with, and who is really her best friend, as a full human being. It is frustrating not to know how much of this story can be supported by historical documentation. But it is interesting to read if ...more
Louanne
After taking a course on Thomas Jefferson, this book is an entertaining read that fits in very well to what I know to be true about this extremely complicated man.
Devon
I really didn't expect to like this book, but I really did.
Cook Memorial Public Library
Powerful love story as well as fascinating portrait of famous men of the era. Diary format from Martha, Thomas Jefferson’s young wife.

Recommended by staffer Connie.

Check our catalog: http://encore.cooklib.org/iii/encore/... thomas grimes
Graceann
Nov 27, 2007 Graceann rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Good Novels
I quite enjoyed this novel at the time I read it - it is an imagination of the marriage between Thomas and Martha Jefferson. You can only surmise, given that all their letters to one another were destroyed, but this was written in an interesting and plausible way.
Gennie Lancaster
Good book. It helped me to see Thomas and Martha Jefferson and their relationship in a different light. A little slow in some places but overall it was an enjoyable read.
Janet
Oct 06, 2011 Janet added it
Shelves: failed-attempts
There is nothing inherently wrong with this book. I just couldn't get into it--even after 100 pages. Just moved too slowly for me, but others may (and probably do) disagree.
MJ
was somewhat interesting, but just not in the mood for and too many other
books to fit in....made it about half way through
Noelle Leader
Noelle Leader marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Meehlticket
Meehlticket marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Jack Holt
Jack Holt marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Pat Bartron
Pat Bartron marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Christina
Christina is currently reading it
Jun 03, 2015
/../../
/../../ marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Emrie
Emrie marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Cory
Cory marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
  • Lost & Found in Egypt: A Most Unlikely Journey Through the Shifting Sands of Love and Loss
  • Daughter of the God-King (Regency, #2)
  • The Altarpiece
  • Esther's Song
  • Santa Fe Mi Casa
  • Naturally Bug-Free
  • From Martin to Despallier: The Story of a French Colonial Family
  • Trust in Time (Shaw Brothers Series, Vol. 2)
  • Prophetic Untimeliness: A Challenge to the Idol of Relevance
  • Strictly G.I.: The WWII Letters of Cpl.Wanda M. Renn
  • Mind of an Outlaw: Selected Essays
  • Path of a Patriot: The Die is Now Cast
  • Eat Drink Vote: An Illustrated Guide to Food Politics
  • Kennedy and Reagan: Why Their Legacies Endure
  • Charity
  • Opportunity, Montana: Big Copper, Bad Water, and the Burial of an American Landscape
  • Where Were You? America Remembers the JFK Assassination
  • The Price of Thirst: Global Water Inequality and the Coming Chaos
Roberta Grimes is a business attorney who had two experiences of light in childhood. She majored in religion at Smith College, and she spent decades studying afterlife evidence, quantum physics, and consciousness theories in order to understand the fundamentally spiritual nature of reality. She uses fiction to explore human nature and the ways in which spirituality affects our lives.
More about Roberta Grimes...
The Fun of Dying: Find Out What Really Happens Next The Fun of Staying in Touch: How Our Loved Ones Contact Us and How We Can Contact Them Rich and Famous Letter From Wonder Letter from Money