Start by marking “Living Cheaply with Style: Live Better and Spend Less” as Want to Read:
Living Cheaply with Style: Live Better and Spend Less

Living Cheaply with Style: Live Better and Spend Less

This fun and practical guide offers a huge variety of tips on living for less "with grace, humor, [and] imagination." The author covers a wide range of topics including food, housing, transportation, clothes, and entertainment.
Published June 5th 2000 by Ronin Publishing (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Living Cheaply with Style, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living Cheaply with Style

Holly McIntyre
Jul 10, 2012 Holly McIntyre rated it really liked it
This is a great book! It has everything one needs to think about when striving to live frugally all wrapped up in one well-written and pleasingly designed package.

However, the 1992 edition which I read is somewhat quaintly antiquated -- no discussion of the internet, or freecycle, or craigslist. Nevertheless, the principles remain sound -- we just don't have to depend on bulletin boards in laundromats anymore.

This is a great place for the aspiring frugilista to begin or an excellent summary for
Captainblaubeere
Wenn ich das Buch schon früher gehabt hätte, hätte ich mir einiges an Ärger erspart. Im wahrsten Sinne des Wortes. Es ist wie die Zusammenfassung aller Weisheiten, die Großmutter und Großvater schon immer ihren Enkerln mit auf den Weg geben wollten. Eine erfrischende Anleitung, um besser, glücklicher und gesünder zu leben - mit vielen Tipps und Tricks leichter und vorallem nachhaltiger durch den Alltag zu kommen.

Von wie kauft man ein, hält die Küche sauber und was muss man beim Autokauf beachten
Carla JFCL
Jul 24, 2009 Carla JFCL rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book way back in the early 70s, when I was a "starving (college) student." It was full of great advice for getting by in life on almost nothing .... which was what I needed to do at that time. I still have my battered paperback copy, complete with the taped-together spine and my notes and underlining. Reading it now is a real trip back in time .... a great reminder of my "hippie days." Of course, most of the information is quite dated, but some of the basic concepts still apply ...more
Mark
Aug 24, 2011 Mark rated it really liked it
Shelves: economics
Now that some fell beast slouches proudly again toward Wall Street, this book could come in mighty handily. For those who like (and deserve to be) living the good life but are turning down at the pocket.Sure prices have jumped in the years intervening its publication, inflation and all, but the advice with in is as good as gold. Now I just need to hook myself up with a new copy! Highly recommended.
Jim
May 07, 2009 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My family and friends
Shelves: reference
I was a bagboy at the prestious Lunds Food Mart in Edina in my senior year of HS. There was this box of books and this one caught my fancy. After reading about how hard it would be to 'Live Poor with Style' I thought continuing school would be a lot easier. :o)
Eric William
Eric William rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Jasmin Kocaer
Jasmin Kocaer rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2012
Amber
Mar 26, 2009 Amber rated it it was ok
This has a few interesting ideas about saving money, but it's mostly stuff you already know.
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2008
Gremlin
Gremlin rated it it was ok
Feb 05, 2013
Rick
Rick rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2013
Charles
Charles rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2012
David
David rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2013
KA Mitchell
KA Mitchell rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Leslie
Leslie rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2015
Phyllis
Phyllis rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2009
TJ
TJ rated it it was ok
Oct 06, 2010
Dan Goodman
Dan Goodman rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2012
Ruth Brown
Ruth Brown rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2012
Kevin Bayuk
Kevin Bayuk rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2015
Jack
Jack rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016
Kristen Edwards
Kristen Edwards rated it did not like it
Dec 07, 2013
Zalo
Zalo rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2016
Gene
Gene rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2010
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it liked it
May 27, 2012
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2007
Ric Johnson
Ric Johnson rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2009
Templehurst
Templehurst rated it it was ok
Nov 11, 2009
Christina Aguilar
Jun 01, 2015 Christina Aguilar rated it it was amazing
a great book that shows you how to live. my favorite is the gypsy van :)
Jayme