Start by marking “Cooking Light Cook's Essential Recipe Collection: Soup: 57 essential recipes to eat smart, be fit, live well” as Want to Read:

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Ah, the comforting allure of soup, as brought to you by the creative experts at the Cooking Light Test Kitchens. With 56 easy-to-follow soup recipes, this new cookbook is as beautiful as it is practical; a handy reference for delicious recipes that are nutritious as well as satisfying. Sure to be well-thumbed, its smaller size and hardcover design lend themselves to freque ...more
Published March 1st 2006 by Oxmoor House

To ask other readers questions about Cooking Light Cook's Essential Recipe Collection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cooking Light Cook's Essential Recipe Collection

Anthony Clair
My wife and I have long trusted Cooking Light's delectable recipes, most of which are simple to prepare. We are also big fans of the slow cooker (no, really: http://bit.ly/syxDV5). It's great to have a volume of 57 slow cooker recipes constructed with the same delicious simplicity that Cooking Light brings to its regular recipes.

Here's a breakdown of contents:

* Essential Slow Cooker
* Meats
* Poultry
* Vegetarian
* Soups & Stews
* Sides & Desserts

From an Maple-Hazelnut Oatmeal (wake up
Rukshana
So I am sooooo excited about my new slow cooker and am still trying to figure out the coolest ways to use it.

This book had a chapter of vegetarian recipes that looked pretty good, but most of the book was dominated by meat recipes. (I guess meat tastes really good when you slow cook it but I wouldn't know!)

I made the veggie red bean stew which was pretty awesome and yummy. Also made the oatmeal - steel cut oatmeal you cook overnight and have warm to greet you in the morning! Definitely going t
Michele
I love this book. I barrowed it years ago and made the bean barrito, the barely and cabbage, the caramel cake, the chocolate caramel cake and the shiitake mushroom meatloaf. I think this is the book I made my first potato soup from too. YUM to say the least. I love how good the other recipes in this book look too..So we'll be making the turkey sub sandwiches, the turkey and cherries, and the others I mentioned before again. Get out that cooker for the summer and have fun with this book. We did.
Tapley
French Beans and Sausage - Love this, will make each winter at least once
Thai Style Pork Stew - quite tasty, would like to make again
Cheesy Spinach Artichoke Dip - tasty, but a bit on the sweet side. Don't know that I'd make this again

Also good, but have in other cookbooks:
Company Pot Roast
Beef Daube Provencal

Still want to try:
Pork Chops & Gravy
Caribbean Seafood Pot
Beef Burgundy
I thought this book was perfect. Exactly what I'm looking for in a weeknight cookbook. My only issue with it is that there are only 57 recipes! I just found out there's another; I'm going to have to get it. If you use your slow cooker a lot, this is a really great book. The recipes are pretty easy, healthy, and appeal to a broad range of tastes (though nothing is too exotic).
Tamara
The first selection for the Cookbook Club at the Westerville Library!

I tried the Roasted Squash Soup. May have gotten some of the measurements wrong, but it turned out ok. Could have run it through the food processor a couple more times to make it smoother.

Not my favorite, but good!
Katharine
Soup is my staple during the fall/winter and there are some really good recipes in here. I even made huge batches and canned them for future use.
Katy
There are some great everyday recipes in here. What I love most is the caloric info with each recipe!
Tina
The recipes are simple to follow and include calorie counts. Soup can be enjoyed any time of year.
K
Everything I have made out of this book has been EXCELLENT. Timeless.
Sally
Yup - another BYU Bookstore bargain!
Lana
Lots of good recipes.
Meg
Rec by Melissa Nierode Miller
BooksandBaking
BooksandBaking marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Miriam
Miriam marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Askia Mohammed
Askia Mohammed marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Diane J Vinch
Diane J Vinch marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Vernita Cecil
Vernita Cecil marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Marianthi
Marianthi marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Kendra
Kendra marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
S
S added it
Jun 10, 2015
Geoffrey Staysniak
Geoffrey Staysniak marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Vegetable Love
  • Slow Cooker Revolution
  • The Big Book of Casseroles: 250 Recipes for Serious Comfort Food
  • The Best Light Recipe
  • Moosewood Restaurant Celebrates: Festive Meals for Holidays and Special Occasions
  • The Whole Foods Market Cookbook: A Guide to Natural Foods with 350 Recipes
  • The Food52 Cookbook: 140 Winning Recipes from Exceptional Home Cooks
  • Madhur Jaffrey's World-of-the-East Vegetarian Cooking
  • Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Entertaining
  • One Big Table: A Portrait of American Cooking: 600 recipes from the nation's best home cooks, farmers, pit-masters and chefs
  • The Cornbread Gospels
  • The New Mayo Clinic Cookbook: Eating Well for Better Health
  • Vegetables Every Day: The Definitive Guide to Buying and Cooking Today's Produce, with Over 350 Recipes
  • The Book Club Cookbook
  • The New Vegetarian Epicure: Menus--With 325 All-New Recipes--For Family and Friends
  • Eat Well, Eat Happy
  • The Vegetarian Family Cookbook
  • Cook 1.0: A Fresh Approach to the Vegetarian Kitchen
Cooking Light is an American food and lifestyle magazine founded in 1987. Each month, the magazine includes approximately 100 original recipes as well as editorial content covering food trends, fitness tips, and other culinary and health-related news.
More about Cooking Light Magazine...
The Complete Cooking Light Cookbook The Best of Cooking Light: Over 500 of Our All-Time Greatest Recipes Cooking Light Fresh Food Fast Weeknight Meals: Over 280 Incredible Supper Solutions Cooking Light Fresh Food Fast: 280 Incredibly Flavorful 5-Ingredient 15-Minute Recipes The Best of Cooking Light Everyday Favorites: Over 500 of Our All-Time Greatest Recipes