Start by marking “Room for a Little One: A Christmas Tale” as Want to Read:
Room for a Little One: A Christmas Tale

Room for a Little One: A Christmas Tale

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  1,238 ratings  ·  67 reviews
That cold winter's night,
beneath the star's light...

...a Little One came for the world.
Published October 3rd 2006 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published September 2nd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Room for a Little One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Room for a Little One

How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgThe Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson
Favorite Christmas Books
67th out of 708 books — 960 voters
How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreBear Stays Up for Christmas by Karma WilsonThe Snowman by Raymond Briggs
Favorite Christmas Picture Books
18th out of 250 books — 101 voters

More lists with this book...

Aine
May 10, 2012 Aine added it
Room for a Little One is an endearing Christmas tale by Martin Waddell. The tale of the original Nativity Story is the muse of this story. It tells the story of how all the animals are welcomed into the stable to see the birth of a little one.

Martin Waddell creates an exciting atmosphere and uses great descriptions to add to the magic of the story. I think it is a truly engaging story and would be put to great use in a early years or keystage one class when introducing the nativity play. The way
Ruth Sophia

Average Tale

This "Christmas Tale" is very simple & focuses on the animals in the stable on the night of Jesus' birth. Not that children would know, but the stable would have been overrun with animals during the census, where this story indicates only 5 animals with plenty of room to spare. There is nothing remarkable in the telling of the story - I think the book is popular not for the words it contains, but the pictures.

The pictures are certainly the highlight of the book. The detail and f
Emily
Beautiful little book that caught my eye. Picked up for infant nephew, and it's sweet and gorgeously illustrated.
Molly
The story is so very sweet. Children of all ages can understand the idea of making room for someone smaller than yourself, it's a concept that is learned very early on in life. The pictures are just as beautiful as the story. My 6 month old son can't keep his pudgy little hands off of the pages of this book (while he does try to eat most books, this is different--he wants to touch the pictures). This is a great Christmas book to share with little ones and hopefully they'll want to keep reading i ...more
Loraine
This is a gorgeously illustrated board book that tells the story of Jesus' birth in a simplicity that little ones can understand. My grandson and I attended storytime at Barnes & Noble today, and I was utterly thrilled that along with her Rudolph focus the storyteller also read this sweet little Nativity book. As soon as storytime was done, my 2 1/2 year old grandson and I went to find it. We came home and went to our manger scene and we found what animals we had that were in the story. His ...more
Sarah Adamson
A different nativity story. This one is told with the animals being the central focus. A kind ox invites stray and cold animals into the stable, finally the tired donkey is invited in, bringing Mary and Joseph with him.
The focus does come to Baby Jesus in the end but the tale is really to encourage children that all should be welcomed, despite possibly being enemies (cat and mouse).
A bit cute but with nice illustrations and simple words for early readers with repetition which will help young c
Den
This is a slightly different take on the nativity story. It is set in the stable and introduces you to an oxen, then a dog, and a cat and a mouse and it is all about friendship and sharing what you have. These animals are usually enemies but this time they snuggle next to each other and then Mary and Joseph enter with their tired donkey and in that warm stable Jesus is born.
A lovely retelling of the story with beautiful illustrations which just cry out to be touched.
Lynne
Each animal coming to the stable looking for a safe, warm place to sleep is welcomed by an animal who is usually a danger or a foe. Each is welcomed and encouraged to join the others. As they each join in by welcoming the next visitor. Eventually the welcome a young couple about to experience the birth of their first child. And they find the welcome there that the others did. Lovely story of the true spirit of the season!
Rosa Cline
This book isn't rated a certain "level" but I would put it level 2 book. It's one that a beginning reader could read with help and then after reading a few times with help would be proud of him-herself for being able to read alone.

Very beautifully illustrated and written way of telling the birth of Jesus on a level that children could understand. Starts with a barn with an ox, and old dog comes by needing warmth and rest the ox invites him in saying "there is always room for a little one" then a
Jen
This is one that we read at Christmas. It's a sweet little story of Jesus' birth, from the view of the animals in the stable.
Wei-fen
Great illustration! A wonderful story of the birth of Jesus seen through the eyes of an ox and other animals.
Addie
Dec 14, 2014 Addie marked it as to-read
To read but why would you mark it 2 If it was the birth of baby Jesus our king and savior
Beth
This will be the family Christmas book this year
Mindi
Love the artwork in this one!
Tina
Precious story to read with your little ones. Makes me tear up every time.
Magila
3.5

The artwork is just stunning throughout this book. The story was a little simple to me. I was hoping for a little more substance. Since kids love animals, this will surely be treasured regardless of if it misses the mark a little.

I wouldn't recommend it too strongly though, given the plethora of other worthy picture books out there.
Papalodge
Nov 12, 2007 Papalodge rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who misses 'toyland'.
Need a peaceful escape, relief from 21st century cellphone stress or calm down the children during the holidays (horror days for parents)? The peaceful illustrations by Jason Cockcroft, with the resting, napping, snoozing animals is a soothing take a break read, perchance to dream. Enjoy the quiet time, you deserve it.
Tonya
Wonderful book about Jesus and His birth. Very unique because it not only focuses on what happened but at the end, stresses the why. 'He came to save the world'. The illustrations set the tone of the book, making it a calm and serene telling for your little one. This will become our Christmas Eve book tradition. Thank you!
KidsNonFiction Teton County Library
Kay's rating: 5 stars
J Pic Waddell M

A heartfelt book on caring, an old oxen shares the stable on a cold winter night with various animals. When a tired and cold donkey appear with Mary and Joseph, they all shared in the job of the birth of Jesus. A lovely book with a warm fell and a touch of magic.
Nancy
Dec 05, 2012 Nancy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Read this book to young children at Christmas time.
I bought this book to read to young children at our churches Nativity Event. It has a sweet message of sharing the manger with the little animals who come to the door, looking for a warm place to stay. And of course the animals all welcomed Joseph and Mary, and the Christ child at the end.
This was the Nativity story from the stable animals' viewpoint. It was in the 3 year old room at church, so very appropriately placed. I like Martin Waddell's children's books, and the art was nice. Not too preachy.
Jen
Beautiful telling of the story of Jesus' birth from the viewpoint of the animals. I read this tonight, on Christmas Eve 2011, and I believe this is going to become a tradition for us. The illustrations add to the absolute charm of the story. Wonderful story!
Lisa
A sweet story about an Ox in a barn, who continuously lets other animals join him so they can get out of the cold. The final visitors are Mary, Joseph, and the donkey. And hen the baby Jesus is born, they make room for one more :).
Jim
a beautiful retelling of Christ's birth from the point of view of those he shared the stable with.
most of the art is gallery worthy (the close up of Old Dog that looks like a cross between yoda and a schnauzer is the exception)
Linda
A beautifully illustrated Children's picture book. Lovely to share with young children.
Jess
i love both the story - the nativity story from an animal's perspective, coupled with the beautifully, perfectly done illustrations. this has been read almost every night at our house for the past few weeks - a quick, sweet read!
Kate Hastings
Nov 11, 2007 Kate Hastings rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Pre-K toddlers nativity
Shelves: christmas-books
This book will give you goosebumps. Weary and cold animals make room for their natural enemies on a winter night. A donkey brings Mary and Joseph there... and Jesus is born in the stable where there is room for everyone.
Meg McGregor
This is simply what Christmas should be all about!

The tree, presents, garland, etc. are nice but we always need to remember that Christmas is the birth of the Child who came down to Earth to save us all!
Marilyn
THe text is ok. The illustrations are beautiful. Jason Cockcroft uses speckling throughout his work and it makes everything look magical--esp. appropriate for Jesus' birth. Really stunning.
  • Mortimer's Christmas Manger
  • Who is Coming to Our House?
  • Humphrey's First Christmas
  • A Wish to Be a Christmas Tree
  • Santa's Favorite Story
  • The Little Drummer Boy
  • Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!
  • Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree
  • Why Christmas Trees Aren't Perfect
  • The Twelve Days of Christmas
  • Song of the Stars: A Christmas Story

Also writes under the pen name Catherine Sefton

Martin Waddell is the author of more than one hundred books for young readers.
More about Martin Waddell...
Owl Babies Can't You Sleep, Little Bear? Farmer Duck The Super Hungry Dinosaur Let's Go Home, Little Bear