Start by marking “L'opinione pubblica” as Want to Read:
L'opinione pubblica

L'opinione pubblica

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  438 ratings  ·  33 reviews
2012 Reprint of 1922 Edition. "Public Opinion" is a critical assessment of functional democratic government, especially the irrational, and often self-serving, social perceptions that influence individual behavior, and prevent optimal societal cohesion. The descriptions of the cognitive limitations people face in comprehending their socio-political and cultural environment ...more
Published July 2000 by Donzelli (first published 1922)

To ask other readers questions about L'opinione pubblica, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about L'opinione pubblica

I read this book after reading Brian's review here

Where this book is really quite interesting is in the fact that it is a kind of modernisation of Plato’s Republic. I’m not just saying that because it starts by quoting the allegory of the cave, but because all of the central ideas of the book seem to me to be essentially Platonic. For example, democracy is presented as a really good idea ‘in theory’, but one that is incapable of working in practice. This
This book is unfairly maligned because Chomsky holds it out as an example of elite liberal ideology (and it is a fair example in that regard), but Lippmann has a point about "public opinion". He wasn't the first or last to point out that the spontaneous majorities on various subjects are not necessarily rational or advantageous, and that they usually *aren't* when the public bases opinions off of sketchy information (and that this is a common phenomenon). Further, his argument that news and the ...more
Ben Peters
Whatever else one may think of this classic, it is written to take one's breath away. The images of Lippmann's prose alone--e.g. the Platonic, iconic "pictures in the mind," itself an almost mandatory talking point for those who pass through liberal arts education in America--guarantee that this book will repay reading and rereading. As for those who dismiss or belittle Lippmann as an elitist ready to cede political power to the expertise of the few, I am not convinced. Yes, he wrote in favor of ...more
I really liked this book. Although it was written more than 80 years ago I think that it addresses a very current issue.

This book begins with a discussion of social psychology. It explains how people see through different paradigms.

Then he builds from this a political theory. He denies "democracy" and discusses the federalist government, but I found that these designations are not as understandable in the modern vernacular. You have to pay close attention to system in which he is defining thes
In times like these, when we sleep with screens feeding us images of war, it is important to go back to this classic.

Emotions run high when photographs, pictures and videos rule our understanding of foreign affairs.

It is equally important to realize how little information we actually have access to.

Not so much has changed since the age of television:public emotions get mobilized together with armed forces, and, as we develop an aggressive tunnel-vision the enemy starts condensing into a targe
Jonathan Norton
The ur-text for so much anti-media, anti-corporate and anti-politics sentiment in the 20th century, this is the sharply written testament of a liberal insider brooding with disenchantment at the state of the world in 1922, fresh from the fall-out of the Wilson administration and its final failure to get America to embrace the League Of Nations and a lasting engagement in world affairs. Chomsky's greatest hits are here, including "manufactured consent" getting its first appearance. I expect you c ...more
Karl H.
Our first-hand experience is but a drop in the frothing, complex ocean of the world. And yet, all of us have ideas and opinions about things out there that we have never encountered directly. Where do those come from? And, in the aggregate, do our opinions really reflect reality? Can they be used as the basis for government? Public Opinion is an insightful exploration of these questions, and the effects their answers have on how we govern ourselves.

Walter Lippmann does a fantastic job explaining
Eric Gulliver
Yet another quote from the text that outlines its general thesis:

“Strategically placed, and compelled often to choose even at the best between the equally cogent through conflicting ideals of safety for the institution, and candor to his public, the official finds himself deciding more and more consciously what facts, in what setting, in what guise he shall permit the public to know. –
That the manufacture of consent is capable of great refinements no one, I think, denies. The process by which
shen dong
Winding and unnecessarily long

S few good concepts indeed. But the author gave too many examples in a long winding way to demonstrate them. Now seventy years later, it's hard for readers to relate to these examples in social science. The society has changed too much.
It was interesting, to say the least. I find Lippmann, along with Bernays, to be elitist with a manipulative personality. Dangerous ideas are presented which are still in use today by the current Gadianton Robbers.
I would give this book a five star rating for importance, but difficulties with readability drag it a good deal lower. Written over eighty years ago, Lippmann's style and (then) contemporary references present a significant challenge for the non-historian. At the same time, several of the author's primary points are ripe with significance. We stereotype because we must--there is simply too much information to process. Public opinion can then be manipulated through the use of skillfully honed ste ...more
Fantastic read! In terms of literary style Lippmann stands with the best. In terms of political philosophy, his insights offer an usual mix of pragmatism and incisive profundity. While he is very much an 'establishment figure', he nevertheless maintains a significant independence of mind. Though in all likelihood it is this very independence that garnered him the high degree of influence and respect across US foreign policy elites that he ultimately enjoyed.

Well worth the read for anyone intere
So overwrought with examples and anecdotes very little concrete information bleeds through. Man, what a blowhard.
Don't let the benign title fool you. This is one of the most explosive books ever written. Walter Lippmann lays out his philosophy of "manufacturing consent" through the mass media.

He makes the argument that most people are too busy being wages slaves and/or too stupid to make intelligent decisions regarding matters affecting their own lives.

Regardless of whether one agrees with his ideas or not, they are being used against us everyday. Anyone interested in how the dominant order uses propagand
John-paul Pagano
With Daniel Boorstin's The Image, this book -- which you should read first -- forms a diptych that bestirs a Matrix-style awakening, in which you'll look at the world you've inhabited all these years in a new, knowing light. Ideally, people would read these books before exercising their right to vote.

Lippmann, a founder of The New Republic, is an elegant writer, though his tempo can plod, and much of his allusive material is dated to the Progressive Era. Still, bushwhack your way through this bo
May 26, 2015 Kate marked it as to-buy  ·  review of another edition
From 5 books editor interview
So much . . . penetration.

Very fascinating post World War 1 breakdown of public opinion, what this means, how it works, etc. I found it applying to everything from how elections happen (and how silly most media accounts of elections can be), to how judge panels rate a speech round. A little stuffy in the language and all, but altogether a great interesting read.
The venerable dean of Progressive American liberal journalism speaks. Some of the material is a bit dated but there is a trove of useful insights on the role of the media in modern society. While the net has changed it all, some of Lippman's criticisms and concerns still ring true.
Although I was not persuaded by all of Lippmann's arguments, he does make some interesting points. Admittedly, part of what I found interesting was how the book offered some insight into the time period in which it was written, in the aftermath of the Great War.
Versi klasik dari gaya analisis kritis Noam Chomsky. Lippmann punya ketajaman yang kritis terhadap gaya pemerintah Amerika Serikat membentuk opini publik, manipulasi media, dan propaganda. Karya klasik, padat, dan kaya untuk kajian komunikasi politik.
Such a difficult read. I was translating the English from something I didn't understand to something I could understand in addition to reading it. And even then, I don't think I fully understood the whole book.
The material is somewhat dated and when it comes to his dispute with Dewey, I side with the Pragmatist. On the other hand the problem of spin, initiated by the powerful is still a persistent problem.

An old racist tells us how propaganda is necessary to control the unruly masses. For some reason, I feel like I should have enjoyed this more than I did.
Chris Drinkut
Jan 07, 2011 Chris Drinkut is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
awesome this has been an interesting read. I would like to follow this up with Matthew Arnold's Culture and Anarchy as a comparison.
Feb 17, 2010 lita marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
aku lagi butuh banget buku ini. ada yang punya ga ya...
Oct 13, 2009 Tayyib is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
believe nothing you diguest from the media,
محمد الهاشمي
A must for media and social studies academics
  • Propaganda
  • Propaganda: The Formation of Men's Attitudes
  • Necessary Illusions: Thought Control in Democratic Societies
  • Democracy Incorporated: Managed Democracy and the Specter of Inverted Totalitarianism
  • The Limits of State Action
  • The Sane Society
  • Digital Disconnect: How Capitalism is Turning the Internet Against Democracy
  • The Language of the Body
  • Presidential Power and the Modern Presidents: The Politics of Leadership from Roosevelt to Reagan
  • Nations and Nationalism
  • The Nature and Origins of Mass Opinion
  • Covering Islam: How the Media and the Experts Determine How We See the Rest of the World
  • Four Screenplays: Studies in the American Screenplay
  • The Young Girl's Handbook of Good Manners for Use in Educational Establishments
  • Social Origins of Dictatorship and Democracy: Lord and Peasant in the Making of the Modern World
  • The Politics and The Constitution of Athens
  • Who Killed the Constitution?: The Assault on American Law and the Unmaking of a Nation
  • Dollarocracy: How the Money and Media Election Complex is Destroying America
Walter Lippmann was an American intellectual, writer, reporter, and political commentator who gained notoriety for being among the first to introduce the concept of Cold War. Lippmann was twice awarded (1958 and 1962) a Pulitzer Prize for his syndicated newspaper column, "Today and Tomorrow."
More about Walter Lippmann...

“The systems of stereotypes may be the core of our personal tradition, the defenses of our position in society. They are an ordered more or less consistent picture of the world, to which our habits, our tastes, our capacities, our comforts and our hopes have adjusted themselves. They may not be a complete picture of the world, but they are a picture of a possible world to which we are adapted. In that world, people and things have their well-known places, and do certain expected things. We feel at home there. We fit in. We are members.

It is not merely a short cut. It is all these things and something more. It is the guarantee of our self-respect; it is the projection upon the world of our own sense or our own value, our own position, and our own rights. [...] They are the fortress of our traditions, and behind its defenses we can continue to feel ourselves safe in the position we occupy.”
“For the most part we do not first see, and then define, we define first and then see. In the great blooming, buzzing confusion of the outer world we pick out what our culture has already defined for us, and we tend to perceive that which we have picked out in the form stereotyped for us by our culture.” 8 likes