Start by marking “Circle of Three” as Want to Read:
Circle of Three

Circle of Three

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,435 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
Patricia Gaffney's sensational national bestseller, The Saving Graces, won the hearts of readers everywhere and propelled her into the first ranks of contemporary women writers. Now this gifted author illuminates the silken bonds of family through the interconnected lives of three generations of women in a small town in rural Virginia.

"Can grief last for a person's whole l
Audio, Abridged, 0 pages
Published May 28th 2001 by Brilliance Audio (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Circle of Three, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Circle of Three

Mary
May 22, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
After the sudden death of her husband, Carrie struggles with feelings of immense grief and guilt. She silently wonders: "Can grief last for a person's whole life?" For her, these feelings are twofold: Although she mourns the loss of her husband, she also mourns the death of their love - an emotional erosion that occurred long before her husband's heart gave out. Struggling to go on, to support her vivacious, loving fifteen-year-old daughter, Ruth, Carrie must shake off the sorrow and depression ...more
Kitty Tomlinson
Family of women deal with relationships and each other. Dana is the matriarch, unhappily married to silent, George. Carrie, Dana's daughter is dealing with the recent death of her husband, while trying to help her daughte, Ruth deal with the loss of her father. Then Carrie's old flame returns to town.
Sheila
May 29, 2009 Sheila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“I loved this book. It brought a family together and explored the lives of 3 women. 3 totally different people but the same as they found out that they were alike as mother, mother, and daughter. It resembled so much like my family that I am keeping Circle of Three in my permanent collection.”
Barbara
Jun 12, 2012 Barbara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The main story was fine. There was just too much time spent on blah blah blah that didn't move the story along. The women characters didn't grab me especially Dana. It seemed like all their stories could have been filled out more. I listened to the audio book. That might have been part of the problem. The voices and accents of the women didn't thrill me. Dana was crotchety. Carrie was soft and southern. Ruth was more like New York and seemed to begin every sentence with "God". Really tiresome. I ...more
Cristel
Jul 15, 2008 Cristel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story reminded me of Hope Floats. The movie is actually even mentioned in the book. Still, I enjoyed it, and thought the characters' personalities and thoughts were explained very completely. I liked The Saving Graces a little better than Circle of Three, but both were a good way to spend a day on a lounge chair.
Wendy
Sep 15, 2012 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Circle of Three was a grandmother, mother and daughter. The story is of the angst between the mothers and daughters. Interestingly, the grandmother was turning 70 and wasn't happy about it at all. As I turn 70 in a few months, I must say I disagree with her. If you could see my stash of wool and fabrics, you would know that I have enough to keep me knitting and quilting for many more years to come. I enjoyed the book.
Judith
Feb 28, 2009 Judith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the interaction between the three women - gradmother, mother and daughter. Each chapter is written from the perspective of one of the three and as the story unfolds one can understand each woman, and how she sees, and deals with problems.
Sariah
Jan 16, 2015 Sariah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carrie Van Allen est une veuve de 40 ans qui décide de retourner vivre, avec sa fille Ruth, dans la ville où elle a grandit. Elle rencontre des difficultés à surmonter la perte de son mari. Elle s'est enfoncée dans un miasme de douleur et de culpabilité vis à vis de l'accident qui a causé la mort de son époux. Incapable de se sortir de sa dépression, elle risque de se retrouver dans les difficultés financières.
Des regrets, des doutes, de la culpabilité. Un histoire intergénérationnelle qui trouv
Judie Parks
This was a hard read. Not the topic, just the manner in which it was written.
Drunkenness Books
Une grand-mère, une mère et une fille. Autrement dit : trois femmes, trois générations, trois histoires mais autant de points communs et de non-dits qui vont se cristalliser lorsque Stephen, le mari de Carrie, le père de Ruth ou encore le beau-fils de Dana, décède d’une crise cardiaque. Il faut alors apprendre à se reconstruire, à avancer, peu importe les moyens. Mais l’adolescence, la culpabilité, le retour d’un ancien amour ou même la peur de vieillir vont surtout apporter leur lot de doutes e ...more
Auriette
May 11, 2011 Auriette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bittersweet year in the lives of three women dealing with death, love, and each other.

Best-selling author Patricia Gaffney weaves a story of three generations coming to terms with each other in 'Circle of Three'. Newly widowed Carrie is coming to terms with her grief ? or lack thereof ? and trying to find the next phase of her life. 15-year-old daughter Ruth finds fault with almost everything her mother does, as she deals with her father's death, her first job, and her budding sexuality. Carri
Anna
Jul 16, 2011 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written in 2000 this book has stood the test of time better than Ruby Tuesday Moon. It explores the relationship between Carrie, her mother and her daughter, alternating between the different viewpoints. Carrie had felt controlled by her mother and instead of marrying her childhood sweetheart, Jess, she goes to University, travels, marries Stephen and has a daughter Ruth. They eventually move back to her hometown as Stephen gets a job at the same University Carrie’s father works at, but three ye ...more
Erin
Jun 02, 2012 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I tend to enjoy stories told from the first person point of view, but this is the first time I've read a story that was told from the first person POV through three different characters.

Gaffney did a good job of keeping the characters' voices different -- Ruth, the youngest, expressed the typical teenage thoughts, doubts, and sensitivities; and Carrie (the mother) and Dana (the grandmother) share the same motherly concerns for their respective daughters, but express them in completely different
Gerry
Feb 26, 2016 Gerry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding portrait of three generations of women in the aftermath of the “middle” woman’s becoming a widow. Gaffney captured the thoughts and feelings of mothers and daughters toward one another with great insight. Suggested this one to Erin as a book she’d enjoy too – because I want to share it with my daughter and get a reaction. I loved it!
Melissa Kim
Apr 28, 2016 Melissa Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. It showed three different perspectives of life situations. The storied played out very well, as they didn't linger but also didn't get rushed. I actually liked all the characters. I will probably re-read this one again as I get older to see how I related to the grandmother.
Mary
Apr 29, 2013 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: relationship
I struggled between 3 and 4 stars, ultimately settling on 3 stars. I liked the characters and their relationship with each other - primarily mother, daughter and grandmother. I enjoyed the style of writing -- the alternating viewpoints of each of the three primary characters. When it was the grandmother's chapter, for instance, you felt like you were inside her head. The one thing that I didn't like was the length of the chapters -- I thought many of them were too long, which made reading someti ...more
Mady
Oct 20, 2012 Mady rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, 2012
This is a typical book on the (American) mother-daughter relationship theme, with the added extra complexity of another generation.

Dana is the mother who wants her daughter to make better choices than her. Carrie is the daughter who tried to avoid all her life becoming like her bossy mother, and is also the mother who easily gives up to her daughter. Ruth is the daughter who's trying to understand who she is and what she wants.

Oh, and there are men playing around, but they are either absent or p
Victoria
May 17, 2012 Victoria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lit-fic, family
In this case, the third time is the charm! This is the third book of Gaffney’s that I have read, and definitely the strongest of the three! Gaffney presents three generations of a family and each woman relays a portion of the story through their own point of view. The teenage daughter, in particular, has a strong perspective (particularly since there is not much language to differentiate between the mother and grandmother - without the chapter headings, their sections would definitely blur into ...more
Christine
It was only ok. I had a hard time to work my way through this book, unlike her other one, the Saving Graces. A nice little story with a predictable ending; unremarkable in every way.
Jan
Jan 11, 2015 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Being a mother of sons it was interesting to see the "other side". Kind of made me even happier to have raised boys. A pleasant and enjoyable read.
Phyllis
Jan 23, 2016 Phyllis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first book by this author. She is a really great writer. It took a few chapters to get into it for me, but really great writing.
Tanya Winslow
May 04, 2015 Tanya Winslow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was about a grandmother, mother, daughter . The relationships mothers have with their daughters, how a mothers love wants her daughter to make better choices . Grandmother wants mother to make better choices , in return mother doesn't want to be a bossy mother like grandmother was . and teenage daughter is trying to just figure out who she is. An easy read and i really liked it , nothing over the top, but a good book over all.
Jennifer White
Story about mother daughter relationships and husband and wife dynamics interlaced with a backstory regarding Noah's arc.
Claudia Irene
Jan 26, 2014 Claudia Irene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-book
This book is AMAZING!
This was my favorite book of 2013.
This book tell a story about how you coping with the lost of your love one in a beautiful realistic manner. And how you will need each other to get through it!
Highly recommended!
Barbara Kinnecom
Jun 24, 2014 Barbara Kinnecom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy read, enjoyed it. Not thought provoking but still couldn't put it down. Like a good butter pecan ice cream cone
Joan Horkey
Not very exciting. Nothing really happens until about page 320.
Uranie - Alivreouvert.net
Une belle histoire, bien menée, avec des personnages attachants... Mais ca manque d'originalité. Donc une bonne lecture mais sans plus.
Hilary
Jul 17, 2011 Hilary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, to, oxfam, it, goes
A 'three generations of women' book, just barely Granny barely gets a look-in. The mother is an interesting and pleasant enough character to spend time with; the daughter is, well, a teenager, and rather tedious. This book threw up a query, too. At one point the teenager gets a tattoo and, meaning to get an ankh, manages to get the Venus symbol instead, and is then horrified because everyone thinks she's a lesbian. Now, the Venus symbol on its own doesn't say 'lesbian' to me, it says 'female' Tw ...more
Kondaveeti Donga
  • Summer of the Red Wolf
  • A Rose for Virtue
  • Random Hearts
  • Homework: A Novel
Patricia Gaffney was born in Tampa, Florida, and grew up in Bethesda, Maryland, a suburb of Washington, D.C. She earned a bachelor’s degree in English and philosophy from Marymount College in Tarrytown, New York, and also studied literature at Royal Holloway College of the University of London, at George Washington University, and at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

After college, G
More about Patricia Gaffney...