Start by marking “Balance of Power (Jim Dillon, #1)” as Want to Read:
Balance of Power (Jim Dillon, #1)

Balance of Power (Jim Dillon #1)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  286 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Tom Clancy meets David Baldacci in this electrifying debut -- a blockbuster tale of terrorism, naval action, legal intrigue, and a historic showdown on Capitol Hill.Balance of Power opens with a bang when pirates hijack the world's fastest merchant ship in a ruthless plan to spark an international incident. Instead, the attack provokes a Constitutional crisis -- and splits ...more
Published May 5th 1998 by William Morrow (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Balance of Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Balance of Power

The Inner Circle by Brad MeltzerFirst Family by David BaldacciDeception Point by Dan BrownAbsolute Power by David BaldacciSpin Doctor by M.C. Lewis
Presidential Fiction
19th out of 19 books — 16 voters
Transfer of Power by Vince FlynnDeception Point by Dan BrownThe Hunt for Red October by Tom ClancyProtect and Defend by Vince FlynnExtreme Measures by Vince Flynn
Political Thrillers
226th out of 261 books — 348 voters

More lists with this book...

Tim
At the end of this novel, author Huston thanks his editor....hmmmm. I believe his editor could have used a much sharper pencil with a giant eraser to condense this story and make it better. There is too much redundancy around battle conflicts and not enough between the legislative and executive branches. 4 of 10 stars
Patty Cole
too much military jargon
Michael
This book is a great summer read. When the President fails to respond to an act of international terrorism, the Congress uses an obscure clause in the Constitution to act on its own. A political crisis ensues as the United States Navy is caught between conflicting orders.

This book took me right back to the flight deck of the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower. Much of the story's action takes place on a fictional aircraft carrier, and I found, as I read, I was transported back to my own stint on CVN-69.
Peg
Aug 18, 2014 Peg rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Military political
This is the first book I've read by Huston. It was a good book with a little of a military flavor and it was also political. A little longer than I hoped. And toward the end one thing that happened was pretty unbelievable. Don't want to say what it was because I don't want to give anything away.
Abhishek Ender
This book is a brilliant mix of legal/action/politcal intrigue and its an excellent thriller. The monologues may be abit aaron sorkin-ish and very umm conservative, but at the base level the logic seems correct. The book is well written and the pace is fast.
Michael Taylor
A superb book which used the Constitution as a way to drive the narrative of the book. I have used this with high school students in my government class as a way to see how the Constitution is used in real world situations. Feedback from high school seniors was overwhelmingly positive. Many of them told me that it was the only book that they had read in high school that they had wanted to finish. I used the sequel, THE PRICE OF POWER, as an extra credit assignment. It is a good continuation of t ...more
Tim
This was a good book and I liked the novel approach to the battle between congress and the President; it was an interesting twist on the War Powers Act and an interesting idea that the whole congress could wrap their arms around a bill and that there would be cross party agreement, something we don't see much of in Congress these days. I found myself liking some of the characters, especially the Admiral. Be sure to read "Price of Power", the sequel to this book, to find out what happens to the m ...more
Joe Newell
Nice book. Interesting premise.
Tanya
James Huston's Balance of Power is partisan politics on steroids - what happens when the Democratic President and Republican Speaker of the House draw a line in the sand and refuse to compromise. It made for an interesting plot, even though I found the intransigence irritating. Huston is eager to show his familiarity with Naval terms; I don't think I've ever read a book with so many acronyms! The ending lost momentum, and the hinted conflict between two Naval Battle groups never came, but it was ...more
Karen Christy
Fast-paced, good characters, a very contemporary plot, even though written before 9/11. Loved it!
Cherie
What can the United States do when a pacifist president refuses to go after terrorists who have taken and destroyed American property and killed American citizens? In this thriller, the Congress of the United States goes head to head with the President and the entire executive branch. I thought this was a very interesting scenario. This book delivered a great plot, interesting characters, lots of action, all without foul language; something most political thrillers don't do.
Cullen
The writing is juvenile and the way in which the corridors of power in Washington are portrayed is naive to the point of satire.

"You know very well what has brought me to the House, Mr. Speaker." The President spoke slowly and deliberately. Every eye in the House was on him. "You directed an intentional violation of the United States Constitution and I'm here to stop you."

That is when I had to stop reading.
Don
Interesting premise, but the plot ranged from tedious to cheesy. Jim Dillon is a poor shadow of Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan, even though Jim is in the thick of the action and has several exciting events. The ending pretty much exemplified the term anti-climactic, which was unfortunate. Good read if you're traveling, but that's about it.
Ninalyn831
Felt this book was trying to make a political statement, but in the end there was no clear conclusion. I'm assuming the author, being military, sided with attacking the terrorists, but I'm not sure he was completely fair to the presidents arguments against attacking. Also, it was an interesting premise, but I felt it got dragged down by the amount of "military speak". Us commoners can't understand much of it.
Clyn
Started out as an interesting story--a combination of Grisham and Clancy--but ended up not being much of a combination of intertwined subplots and intricacy that you would expect from those two authors. The law and military aspects remained fairly separate and I was left in the end a little let down. It was intriguing, but could have been a much more captivating story if told by a better story-teller.
Jim McCulloch
It was an interesting and thoughtful story. Odd in that I never warmed to or even liked the primary protagonist . . . or his lawyer friends in Washington. The Admiral was outstanding and I particularly enjoyed his dialog with the protagonist. I also enjoyed the military action although there wasn't enough of it. The constitutional law issue was quite fascinating and thought provoking.
Joshua James

This is only the second book of Huston's I've read. It may just be me but I have a certain love for aviation and law like the author and that may be why I like these books so much. The way he ties in actual historical events with challenging themes, both operationally and legally keeps me turning pages.
Trina
I liked the law aspect of this book, part of me just wishes that there was a bit more shoot-em-up type thing going on. But it's okay that it wasn't there. This is the first book that I have read by this author so it will be interesting to read more of his work. Definitely looking forward to that.
Joel Ungar
I'm sorry. There are a bunch of 5 star reviews on this book on Amazon and I just don't get it. Let's see - 3 best friends from law school are now the chief aide to the Speaker of the House, a counsel to the President and the top clerk to the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. That's just preposterous.
Tressa
I love a good action/thriller book. A bit of swearing but a nice plot that moves along (although at times a bit too fast as I want a bit more detail). I liked the plot and thought it was a fun read.
Dave Wooldridge
If you enjoy the military action of Tom Clancy, the political drama of TV's The West Wing, and the legal thrills of John Grisham, then you'll love this page-turning story. Fascinating premise!
Nick Kjeldgaard
Pretty decent book taking a new look at the potential of how the constitution can be used in a war situation. Written by an ex-Navy fighter pilot who graduated from TOPGUN.
Chuck
A first novel dealing with the Congress usurping the right of a
pacifist President to direct military action against terrorists.
Alisha
I really liked this. Pretty technical, though. People unfamiliar with the military might find it difficult to follow.
Charles
I wasn't sure I would like this style of book but it turned out to be an excellent read. I will be reading more
Leslie Godwin
Was well-written, but couldn't get past first few chapters because very dated. Will try his more recent books, though.
Richard
Great book. All wimpy presidents of the US should read this book and take heed, even if it is fiction.
Dj
An entertaining thriller... this F-14 pilot knows what he is talking about. I've gone running with him!
Frank Cavanaugh
6/10 1-27-14 A little too far fetched for me. Good characters, decent action and plot development.
Ernie
Enjoyed this book and the angles that were taken. Huston is becoming a favorite writer of mine now.
  • Warrior Class (Patrick McLanahan, #9)
  • 24 Declassified: Collateral Damage
  • 24 Declassified: Cat's Claw
  • Vortex
  • The Enemy (Victor the Assassin #2)
  • Hunt the Scorpion (SEAL Team Six, #2)
  • Sea Strike (Amanda Garrett, #2)
  • Gideon's War (Gideon Davis, #1)
  • U.S.S. Seawolf (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #4)
  • Undersea Prison (Stratton, #4)
  • The Handy Religion Answer Book
  • The Art of the Steal: How to Protect Yourself and Your Business from Fraud, America's #1 Crime
  • Evidence for Christianity
In addition to being the author of Falcon Seven, Marine One, Secret Justice, Shadows of Power, Fallout, Flash Point, The Price of Power and Balance of Power, I am a partner in the international law firm of Morrison & Foerster, and head of the Trial Practice Group, and a former Navy Flight Officer in F-14s.

I grew up in West Lafayette, Indiana, and attended the University of South Carolina on a
More about James W. Huston...
Marine One Secret Justice Falcon Seven The Price of Power The Shadows of Power