Start by marking “May B.” as Want to Read:
May B.

May B.

3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  4,514 Ratings  ·  796 Reviews
I've known it since last night:
It's been too long to expect them to return.
Something's happened.

"If May is a brave, stubborn fighter, the short, free-verse lines are one-two punches in this Laura Ingalls Wilder-inspired ode to the human spirit," raved Kirkus Reviews in a starred review.

May is helping out on a neighbor's Kansas prairie homestead—just until Christmas, says
Published January 10th 2012 by Schwartz & Wade (first published January 1st 2012)

Heather Taake
Apr 06, 2017 Heather Taake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick read (it's lyrical!) about a young girl left on her own in very difficult circumstances. I liked the parallels between May's struggle to survive and her struggle to read.
Suzy
Oct 20, 2016 Suzy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Suzy by: Ivory Teegarden
My niece, Malory, and my great-niece, Ivory (age 10) are in a mother-daughter book club. What a great way to instill at a young age a love of books as well as critical thinking about what you're reading. I check in occasionally to see what they're reading and May B. was their most recent pick. It's a story about a 12-year-old pioneer girl who is "farmed out" one August to help a neighboring newlywed couple. One less mouth to feed and a little income for May's family and her father promises it's ...more
Nafiza
Jun 26, 2011 Nafiza rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love stories in verse therefore I wasn't much surprised when I ended up enjoying May B. a whole lot more than I had expected to. There's this cleanliness about the poetry that makes it easy to read. The thing with writing a story in verse is that you have to be very careful about the details you put and the ones you leave out. Because of the structure, you cannot, as you would in prose form novels, describe things to the minute detail. I felt that May B. very successfully portrayed Mavis and t ...more
Liza Nahas
Jan 26, 2015 Liza Nahas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My daughter & I were mesmerized by this book. It is really meant to be read aloud. And, my daughter learned about dyslexia in a most subtle way. We loved the brave patience of May! If you like "mighty girl" books, this is for you!
Sherrie Petersen
May B is an unlikely hero: a 12-year-old girl with a learning disability, fending for herself during a harsh prairie winter. In the wrong hands, the story could tend toward melodrama. Or it could just plain be boring. Fortunately, this story is neither.

May's story unfolds in verse. The style works well in this book, emphasizing the stark prairie and the simplicity of of May's every day existence. Author Caroline Starr Rose manages to weave in plenty of historical details, adding another rich lay
Sps
Review for work:

Oh boy, a verse historical fiction novel, always the most popular item in any library! Kidding aside, it’s hard for me to see this book going out too much, unless it’s for the reluctant reader who has to write a report on a historical fiction book over 200 pages long. Because the verse leaves so much white space, the text density here is more like a Frog and Toad book, yet it comes to a cool 225 pages in the ARC.

This book had too many themes swirling in the mix: gender disparity
Ivory
Oct 10, 2016 Ivory rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author, Caroline Rose Starr, was named Publishers Weekly Flying Start Author for this book, May B. She lives in New Mexico with her husband and two sons. She spent her childhood in the deserts of Saudi Arabia and New Mexico. Caroline even wrote poetry as a child. The whole book is written in poetry.

This story is about a girl named is Mavis Elizabeth Betterly, or May B. May is twelve years old. She lives with her Ma, Pa, and brother in a soddy in the Kansas Prairie. To help her family get mo
Karen
Historical fiction in verse is hard to carry off and ultimately I compare everything to Out of the Dust which is most unfair on my part. I think Rose's job was even more difficult because so much of her book deals with one character alone - but what a strong character May is. May's fight for survival alone on the prairie is fascinating enough, but the flashbacks into her learning difficulties when she was at school make the character even more relatable and intriguing. I think Rose definitely wi ...more
Elasia
Feb 25, 2016 Elasia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a good book despite what people have told me about it. May B. really went through a struggle and she made it out. In my opinion May is a storng willed character. Half the things she did I don't think I could ever do. Growing up on the prairie definitely made her a lot more knowledgeable about survival than if she lived in the city. This is a good book if you are looking for a quick read and like a little bit of adventure.
Lynda
Mar 01, 2011 Lynda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won't give a synopsis because others have done that already. What I will say is that this is one amazing book. Seriously. The language is so sparse, yet the visuals are so great. The emotion palatable. The character fully developed. I very much enjoyed MAY B. Will recommend highly to others—including reluctant readers.
nicole
Nov 21, 2011 nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Little House fans young and old, adventure lovers, history lovers
I'm always a bit skeptical of verse novels. You'd think that my appreciation for books by Sharon Creech would have me convinced by now, but I always pick them up with the same wary question in my mind: "Ooookay, is this actually any good or is this a gimmick?" I think a lot of us approach poetry with, if not fear, then a sense of drudgery. It is going to be too drippy? Will it be too dense? Lured by Christopher Silas Neal's beautiful cover illustration and type and interested to read a non-Laura ...more
Tami
May B. is the story of twelve-year-old May Betterly. May lives with her parents and older brother, Hiram, in a sparsely populated area of Kansas in the late nineteenth century. (Readers of Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House books will recognize the setting, as it is very similar to those described in those books of the prairies in Minnesota and Wisconsin.)

The book is written in free verse, which makes it a much faster read than any of Wilder's books. In Part One May has discovered she is to liv
Renae
I picked this up from NetGalley.com because I love verse novels and historical fiction. I've done graduate work with nontraditional text structures in childrens' and YA literature, so I gravitated right to it.

May B. is charming and a fast read. Rose's inspiration in the works of Laura Ingalls Wilder is clear. I couldn't help but feel that this was Wilder's The Long Winter with a more contemporary focus.

May B. is a twelve-year-old girl (although I had a hard time seeing her that young in my mind)
Bidisha
Also posted on Dreamcatcher's Lair

Verse is the most beautiful form of writing EVER. Seriously. Prose can be made beautiful but anything that verse touches is instantly beautified. It's easy to go wrong with verse, but if you get it right, the result is nothing short of dazzling.

Caroline Starr Rose's May B. is one such beautiful novel. The verse is stylistic, yet simplistic and makes for a read that is oh-so-compelling, it begs to be completed quickly. And that's easy, because it is fast paced an
Maria
Aug 15, 2011 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
May B. by Caroline Starr Rose is an absolutely lovely novel written in verse. I had never read a novel in verse before, but this was done so well, reading it was pure pleasure. The story flowed effortlessly, the scenes described in detail such that I felt the cold of the blizzard.

May B. is a strong young girl to whom all young readers can relate. She is mad at her parents for sending her away to help another family, but she loves and misses them anyway. She has trouble reading, so she keeps work
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
This is the first novel in verse I've read.

May B is a girl who's parents left her to work for Mr.and Mrs. Oblinger for a few months. She is abandoned when Mrs. Oblinger runs away from her husband who goes right after her. She is left alone on the farm for five months and her food supplies eventually run out.

In the beginning she questions everything. She is very insecure about herself because she has a learning disability and people think she is stupid and not worth the trouble. When she has no
Heather Anastasiu
Mar 03, 2011 Heather Anastasiu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: apocalypsies
This book is so beautiful. It’s the kind of book I would have loved when I was a tween (is that the term now? I’m so old, lol)—it’s got an intensity and seriousness to it, but it’s still so accessible. I’ve never read a novel in verse before and wasn’t sure how I’d feel about it. I wondered if it would slow down my reading. Instead though, I think it made it swifter, while at the same time, some of the line breaks would add punch to thoughts, descriptions, or emotions.

This story is intense, un-
Amber
Sep 16, 2014 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks-library
May B. is sent by her father to work for her neighbors house to get it situated for the newlyweds and would return for her by Christmas. When the wife runs away from the Kansas prairie for home and the husband follows, May is abandoned to fend for herself in the lonely woods and harsh winter. Can she survive until Christmas? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was a pretty good read. If you like historical stories with Laura Ingalls Wilder influence, definitely check this book out for yoursel
Kate
Jan 19, 2012 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this quick historical novel-in-verse. It was reminiscent of the Little House books as well as Hattie Big Sky, though a quicker read. In the classroom, pitch it not only as historical fiction but also a great survival story.
Abby
Oct 07, 2014 Abby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was written weird, I guess like a poem, or prose? It was actually kinda interesting....I read this in like 2 hours. I mean it was just kind of a different sort of book.
Kim Bahr
Aug 16, 2015 Kim Bahr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick verse fiction that gives insight into life on the Kansas frontier
Tirzah
Apr 05, 2017 Tirzah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rather than participate in the Goodreads Reading Challenge this year, I decided to set my own reading goals. One of them is to read a book written in verse. I have never read this kind of book before and wanted to try something out of the ordinary. So I spotted May B. and decided on that one as I enjoy the historical time period in which the story is set.

While reading May B., I drew a comparison between books written in verse and wordless books. Both are simple and yet profound. Sometimes few w
Caleigh
Apr 12, 2017 Caleigh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Genre: Poetry/Novel in Verse, Historical Fiction, Realistic Fiction

May B. is a young girl living on the open plains in the mid-west with her mother, father, and brother. Her family needs money so they decide to send her to work for another family 15 miles away. After a series of events, May B. finds herself alone and having to take care of herself in the middle of nowhere. Eventually after months alone, she sets off in the middle of winter to go home to her family. This book is a novel in verse
Meesha
this was a very nice book and i like how it tells her experience
Christie Burke
Well written novel in verse. Historical fiction, set in pioneer-era Kansas.
Wendy
This somewhat intriguing book is one that invites more discussion and thought than it might first appear. It's a verse novel, which hardly anyone likes, but I don't think this one will get quite as much of the now-cliche complaints that "there's no reason for this to be in verse" and "just a regular story chopped up funny". The verse novel effect results here in a story that takes place entirely in the narrator's head, which turns out to be pretty effective.

I found the first third pretty cliched
Rebecca Reid
In the middle grade historical novel in poetry May B. by Caroline Rose (to be published January 2012 by Swartz and Wade), young Mavis Betterley, called May, has been sent away from home for the first time, assigned to be a helper for one of her rural Kansas farm neighbors for six months. Despite her personal challenges to reading, May is heart-broken at leaving school, and she longs for Christmas to come soon so she can rejoin her family on their farm. Then the unthinkable happens: May is left a ...more
Terri
Aug 18, 2013 Terri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Mavis Elizabeth Betterly. May Betts. May B." Whatever you call her, this is a girl worth knowing. May, the only daughter of a Kansas prairie-homesteading family, struggles with reading. Not just struggles... she fights and wrestles with the words and letters that seem to move on the page and seldom look the same way twice. Despite her reading problem she is intelligent, loves to learn, and dreams of becoming a teacher one day. But a failed wheat crop means the family is hard-pressed financially ...more
Peep (Pop! Pop!)
What an interesting story! I have to say that I am not a fan of reading in verse. I freely admit that I do not get it? Is there a special way I should be reading them? I was a little ways from the beginning when I decided to put it aside for another book. After I was done with the other book, I came back to this one and I am sooo glad I did! I even feel bad that I put it hold for even a little bit. I couldn't even remember why I had a problem with reading in verse in the first place. Really, it' ...more
Deb Tyo
Put this next book on your reading radar! Not being released until January 2012, May B. by Caroline Starr Rose is an engaging historical novel in verse that will leave you wanting to reread your favorite Laura Ingalls Wilder book!

Mavis Elizabeth Betterly...May Betts...May B is sent to help out on a neighbor's homestead. She begrudgingly leaves her ma and pa and brother Hiram to go to Mr. Oblinger's soddy to be a companion for his new wife who is a novice to the hardships of Frontier life. "It's
Dent Book Challen...: May B. by Carolina Starr Rose 1 4 Apr 15, 2015 12:40PM
  • Summer of the Gypsy Moths
  • Sophia's War: A Tale of the Revolution
  • Twelve Kinds of Ice
  • Fourmile
  • Duke (Dogs of World War II)
4019810
Caroline Starr Rose is the author of MAY B. (2012), OVER IN THE WETLANDS (2015), and BLUE BIRDS (2015).
More about Caroline Starr Rose...

“So many things
I know about myself
I've learned from others.
Without someone else to listen,
to judge,
to tell me what to do,
and choose
who I am,
do I get to decide for myself?”
8 likes
“Some days I sit in the rocker,
the quilt about me though it's hot outside.
I shun the sunlight,
groan to think of the water I must fetch,
the steps I'll have to take,
the work that's needed