Start by marking “Windwalker: Starlight & Shadows, Book III” as Want to Read:
Windwalker: Starlight & Shadows, Book III

Windwalker: Starlight & Shadows, Book III (Starlight & Shadows #3)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,977 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Crossing the wide realms of the Faerûn in search of adventure, the dark elf princess Liriel Baenre and her companion Fyodor find themselves in the barbarian’s homeland of Rashemen. In a land ruled by witches, Liriel must disguise herself lest she spark the people’s hatred of dark elves.

Yet from the deep tunnels of the Underdark, eyes glittering with malice are watching her
Published August 23rd 2011 by Wizards of the Coast (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Windwalker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Windwalker

Dara
Mar 22, 2009 Dara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
More masterwork story writing from this author. I am still praying for another book to the series.
Travis
May 16, 2010 Travis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Ugur
Windwalker is the third and last book of Starlight & Shadows series, which was written by Elaine Cunningham in 2003.

It’s easy to read whole series, but I could not like it. I like Fyodor of Rashemen and Liriel Baenre characters, but there is no depth for them. It is just like reading a story and what is happening in this story. There are not enough dialogs.

The plot is not well defined in the story, our characters are working to achieve something but could not feel their motivations. Also cou
Tony
Dec 17, 2014 Tony rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars, The dark elf Liriel struggles to get out from under the hold of the evil spider-goddess Lolth, while traveling with Fyodor to Rashemen, a land of witches and berserkers.

This book may have been better appreciated if I had more extensive knowledge of the Forgotten Realms universe and Cunningham's other work. Many of the characters including the Seven Sisters had poor development. The Seven Sisters are supposed to be supremely powerful, but I did not get that impression throughout the no
els reid
Feb 23, 2011 els reid rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book comes only second in my most-disappointed list. The end to this trilogy was sloppy, badly written and made little sense. Characters behaved very out-of-character for no apparent reason and I got the distinct feeling a deadline had either passed or was looming for this to be the end to this otherwise good series.
Katrin
Aug 05, 2015 Katrin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome read. Anyone who knows my passion for fantasy also knows my weakness for drows. Ever since I read my first book about Drizzt, I believe in 2004 or so, I have been in love with the dark elves. Sadly I could not cope with the latest turn in Salvatore's books and I "broke up" with Drizzt, which still is a very sore spot for me. After about 25 books with him as a main character, I feel the loss. Yes, there are many other books were drow play a role, but in this series a drow woman has a huma ...more
David
Richard Poffenberger
Jesse
Dec 31, 2012 Jesse rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: forgotten-realms
I finally got around to finishing this series. I took a 4 year break inbetween the 2nd and 3rd book, so the plot seemed a bit jarbled and characters seemed to be just tossed in for flavor. Often enough, the books in Forgotten Realms need to have a bunch of loose ends tied up at the end of a series, and this was seemed to be no different.

The heros, Liriel and Fyodor, make their way back to Rashemen. This takes half the book, as they get into lots of misadventures and must fight through their old
Darren Jacobs
Oh boy!
Elaine can write such poetic and beautiful stories, with believable characters to boot...
Sadly this was not one of them
It was rushed, badly edited, forced, and in the end, frustrating.
I remember reading one page - about half way through - and I wondered why the rest of it lacked the solidity of that one moment.
Personally, i would say it is not worth the time reading the series.
It's a shame, because she can be great as a writer.
Kelly Logan
Jul 27, 2015 Kelly Logan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once more Cunningham has created a masterpiece. It took me a while to be caught up in the story but eventually it took hold. The ending is not one I expected. It left me with a deep sense of sorrow instead of the expected happy ending, which never came. Still there was some satisfaction in how it ended. Cunningham left a small thread of hope that the young drow might eventually find peace with her place and a home, even with a pack of wolves (you'll have to read the book to understand). Still, t ...more
Ευθυμία Δεσποτάκη
Χειρότερο ακόμη κι από τους Δαιμονικούς Ιστούς. Χαρακτήρες εισάγονται ακόμη και πενήντα σελίδες πριν το τέλος. Η πλοκή είναι τραβηγμένη από τα μαλλιά, περιγραφές κοινωνιών και επιδιόρθωσης ενδυμάτων δύνονται την ώρα της μάχης και άλλα φαιδρά. Το τέλος αναμενόμενο, βολικά αφήνει χώρο για άπειρα σίκουελ.
Lana
Jul 29, 2015 Lana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a breathtaking adventure full of magic and thrills ending in a magnificent crescendo!! the women are the heroines in this book and they act the part so brilliantly, had to love this series. Liriel and the sister elves she joins up with are lovely!!
Zachary White
Mar 11, 2015 Zachary White rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This was, unfortunately, the worst in Cunningham's trilogy. Although the beginning was good and held promise, the ending felt rushed and without purpose.
Hitbybus
Jul 29, 2013 Hitbybus rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Much like the last 2 books, this book was good but not great. I was disappointed by the ending on a couple of different levels. I don't want to say too much because I'll spoil it, but I really felt the ending was a let down. I'm also not sure I really cared about the antagonist for this book and didn't really understand some of the inter-character relationships. Yeah, I pretty much didn't like this book as much as the last 2.
Twig
Nov 19, 2014 Twig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ein passender Abschluss für die Reihe, mit einigen Wendungen die durch aus vorhersehbar waren.
Alles in allem hat die Reihe mit gut gefallen. Anfangs hätte ich noch eine etwas andere Story erwatet aber ich muss sagen das sie mich so auch überzeugen konnte.
Für alle Fans von Abenteuerromanen, mit nicht zu viel Tiefgang, ist es auf alle fälle eine Empfehlung.
Tiana
Aug 14, 2011 Tiana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm very sad to reach the end of this wonderful series, for more reasons than just because it had ended. I will not state what happened, just that I found it very heartbreaking. I can't say that I didn't see it coming, because I did... but Cunningham still pulled it off fantastically magical. I will not forget this series.
Brandy
Jul 23, 2011 Brandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this last book in the series, although, I will admit, I was a little disappointed with the ending, although the ending certainly worked well and made sense, and even set up the opening for another series (that very well may exsist, I haven't looked into it yet). All in all, a good book and series.
Kyleigh
Sep 28, 2011 Kyleigh rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty basic. It was simply an adventure story. There wasn’t growth or difficult decisions for the characters to make really; it was just a story of something that happened. It was relatively exciting, but it just didn’t have that spark that makes a really great book.
Zack
Sep 29, 2013 Zack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A critical turning point in the history of the forgotten realms, disguised as a quest of rediscovery. The impact of Liriel's journey will have effects spanning the entire land (hopefully in the form of plenty of books).
Ruth Phillips
i don't want to give any spoilers.. all i can say is i did not like the ending. too many questions. too much unanswered. and.. i just did not like the way it ended. it felt rushed.
Kofi
May 01, 2012 Kofi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
one of the few fantasy novels that doesn't go for the happy ever after ending. a refreshing break from the conventional norm. a hero and heroine with faults and a believable outcome.
Fox
Mar 29, 2008 Fox rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This title is inaccurate. Windwalker is the third book of the series. The trilogy is one that I have read and reread and still enjoy.
Marita
Apr 26, 2008 Marita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya-c
Harder to get to than the rest. I did not feel like this one was as thought provoking or deep as the others. Sad ending...:(
Rosalie
Stephanie
Sep 20, 2011 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
tears were shed. why o why!
Andrew Anderson
Oct 25, 2013 Andrew Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great ending to the trilogy
Maritza
Sep 14, 2007 Maritza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yes
I just like the book
Gregg
Jan 05, 2013 Gregg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent.
Bryan Johns
Bryan Johns rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2016
  • Silverfall: Stories of the Seven Sisters (Forgotten Realms)
  • Storm of the Dead (Lady Penitent #2)
  • Rising Tide (The Threat from the Sea #1)
  • Farthest Reach (Forgotten Realms: The Last Mythal, #2)
  • Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad (Forgotten Realms: Avatar, #5)
  • Sands of the Soul (Forgotten Realms: Sembia, #6)
  • The Gossamer Plain (Forgotten Realms: The Empyrean Odyssey, #1)
  • Shadowrealm (Forgotten Realms: The Twilight War, #3)
  • Lady of Poison (Forgotten Realms: The Priests, #1)
  • Prince of Lies (Forgotten Realms: Avatar, #4)

Elaine Cunningham is an American fantasy author, best known for her contributions to shared-world settings such as the Forgotten Realms, Star Wars, EverQuest, and Pathfinder Tales.
More about Elaine Cunningham...

Starlight & Shadows (3 books)
  • Daughter of the Drow (Starlight & Shadows #1)
  • Tangled Webs (Starlight & Shadows #2)

“More things in this world have been accomplished in this world by persistence than by wisdom.” 3 likes
“If you use a wolf to hunt a wolf, keep two arrows near to hand.” 3 likes