Start by marking “Animal Shelter Portraits” as Want to Read:
Animal Shelter Portraits

Animal Shelter Portraits

4.54 of 5 stars 4.54  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Every week thousands of abandoned dogs and cats are picked up from city streets and put into shelters, where they wait for people to adopt them. Those lucky enough to find ahome leave the kennels within a couple of days; those who do not are euthanized. In AnimalShelter Portraits, photographer Mark Ross turns an unflinching eye on the unfortunate animals stranded at kill s ...more
Published March 27th 2012 by Mark Batty Publisher (first published November 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Animal Shelter Portraits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Animal Shelter Portraits

This book paints a realistic portrait of what actually happens at shelters. For someone who isn't involved in animal rescue or welfare, they should definitely pick this book up and find out what they don't know.
If you've been looking for something to make you cry instantly, this is the book for you. Either that, or to make you adopt an animal instantly.
Angela Hunt
I'm a photographer at an animal shelter, and I take the opposite approach from Mr. Ross--I want the animals to appear happy and healthy, so families will see them as desirable and adopt them .

Still, Mark Ross's technique--showing the animals in their pain, isolation, and illness--has its place. If these images, many of them painful, are what it takes to move people to action, then I can't fault it.

Powerful images, and I'm still trying to figure out how he processes them to get that particular
A stunningly poignant book of what shelter life is really like for these poor discarded animals. As always, each of Mark's pictures tells a story of betrayal, neglect, sadness, and yet, hope. Mark's pictures have helped to save countless shelter animals in NYC and shelters elsewhere....His work is amazingly deep and I am proud to call him a friend.
Kalium marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Alicia marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Robin marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2012
Shari marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2012
Amy Palmer
Amy Palmer marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2012
Kristin marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2012
Betty marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2011