4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Brighton's Pulp Press continue their run of fast paced, action packed novellas with this whipcrack of a western. The Guns Of Retribution by Icy Sedgwick is the story of Gray O'Donnell, a bounty hunter who works alongside a fresh faced kid and an Apache. Whilst attempting to capture a killer on a moving train, O Donell meets up with Jasper Roberts -a blast from the past tha...more
Paperback
Published September 1st 2011 by Pulp Press

Paul Brazill

Whilst attempting to capture a killer on a moving train, O Donell meets up with Jasper Roberts -a blast from the past that is positively seismic - and is forced to head back in his home town, Retribution. But a prodigal son he certainly isn't.

The...more
A Reader's Heaven
From the outset I will say that I am not a fan of Westerns and usually get bored with them very quickly. However, I have read both of Icy Sedgwick's previous eBooks and really enjoy her style and stories. So, with that in mind, I attacked this book with a kind of nervous excitement - would it be "just another Western" or would it be another Icy ripper-read? The answer is definitely the latter.

I won't actually give a description of the story but to say that I found the protagonist (and narrator)...more
Helen
In Icy Sedgwick’s new book The Guns of Retribution, she asks us to saddle up and take a trip out to the Old West into the heat and dust of Arizona, where she introduces us to Grey O’Donnell, a bounty hunter and his two sidekicks Billy Cole and Mahko the Apache.

It is Grey who tells us his story and starts us off on this journey by him and his two companions chasing their prey, Blackjack Bud Hudson, who is on a train. Things don’t quite go to plan, and Grey comes face to face with an old acquainta...more
Richard Bon
Icy Sedgwick’s blunt, smooth style introduces Grey O’Donnell in this fun and yet suspenseful Western, providing a payoff to the reader at every turn.

Grey carries the story from start to finish: a crafty veteran of a bounty hunter good at keeping his guard up against manipulation, but not so good at keeping his guard up physically. He won me over right away and I rooted for him throughout, so it was easy to feel his pain when people pummeled him again and again, and easy to respect him when he ke...more
Heath Lowrance
Icy Sedgwick is late of London, now back in Newcastle (not Liverpool, as previously noted). She's been writing critically-acclaimed steampunk for a while now, but in her latest novel from the always-fearless Pulp Press, she treads new ground. And she comes up aces.
THE GUNS OF RETRIBUTION is a strong Western full of action, honor, betrayal, and fast guns. Our hero, Gray O'Donnell, is a bounty hunter with a strong sense of justice, on the trail of a criminal named Blackjack Bud Hudson. But his que...more
S.B.
You can run but you can’t hide.

Grey O’Donnell, a bounty hunter with a shady past is on the trail of the elusive outlaw Blackjack Bud Hudson. Grey, with his partners Billy and Mahko, is hot on Blackjack’s trail. With a plan in place they wait for the daily train to rumble past with its mail cargo and money transfer for the bank in Retribution. As the train travels by they make their move. Only Grey and Billy make it on board as Mahko guards the horses. But more than Blackjack is on this train and...more
Paul Phillips

Kevin J Mackey
The Guns of Retribution

You can't go home ‒ isn't that what they say? Yet, Gray O'Donnell has to. All the family he has left is threatened. He and Jasper Roberts, a sadistic crook who's now Sheriff of Retribution, have history. It's time that history got put to rest.

By the time the book is over there are many who have been put to rest, but some, long thought dead, alive.

The story rattles along, carrying the reader with it. This was a very enjoyable read. I wouldn't be unhappy to read another tale...more
Shirley Golden
This Western novella is an easily digestible page-turner. Icy Sedgwick creates a believable setting and Grey O'Donnell is likeable and sympathetic, as are his partners, Billy and Mahko. They are faced with a suitably evil antagonist and the plot builds nicely to the climax. At times the 'voice' of Grey didn't always feel authentic but for me, this was a relatively minor issue in an otherwise engaging read. I'll be keeping an eye out for other titles from this author!
Carrie Clevenger
I loved this story so much. Grey is an endearing, strong, yet vulnerable character that goes through the full spectrum of emotions in this Western. The details are well-researched and Icy has a way of setting the reader firmly at the scene as if it's unfolding before them. For such a small cost, you can't afford to let this sort of unusual reading experience pass you by.
Randy
Randy marked it as to-read
May 31, 2013
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2013
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2013
Jodi Cleghorn
Jodi Cleghorn marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2012
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2011
Rhonda Birchfield
Rhonda Birchfield marked it as to-read
Sheila
Sheila marked it as to-read
Sharen
Sharen marked it as to-read
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Sara Rhiannon
Sara Rhiannon marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2012
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Michelle Nugent
Michelle Nugent marked it as to-read
Leanna
Leanna marked it as to-read
« previous 1 3 next »
Icy Sedgwick was born in the North East of England, and lives and works in Newcastle. She has been writing for over ten years, and has had several stories included in anthologies, including Short Stack and Bloody Parchment: The Root Cellar & Other Stories.

She spends her non-writing time working on a PhD in Film Studies, considering the use of set design in contemporary horror. Icy had her firs...more
More about Icy Sedgwick...
The Necromancer's Apprentice The First Tale Short Stack Checkmate & Other Stories Dead Man's Hand