Start by marking “A Taste for Murder (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Taste for Murder (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #1)

A Taste for Murder (Hemlock Falls Mysteries #1)

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  726 ratings  ·  58 reviews
A delightful new series featuring two sleuthing sisters who run the Hemlock Falls Inn. While Sarah takes care of business, her sister Meg runs the inn's kitchen. During the annual History Days festival, a mock witch stoning takes a grisly turn when a guest at the inn is substituted for the fake witch.
Mass Market Paperback, 240 pages
Published September 1st 1994 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about A Taste for Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Taste for Murder

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeCatering to Nobody by Diane Mott DavidsonA Dead Sister by Anna Celeste BurkeFudge Cupcake Murder by Joanne FlukeEvertaster by Adam Glendon Sidwell
Mysteries in Good Taste!
180th out of 317 books — 266 voters
Evertaster by Adam Glendon SidwellCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlChocolat by Joanne HarrisA Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis PetersGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
Taste
112th out of 114 books — 36 voters

More lists with this book...

Regan
Okay....an editor once told me having too many characters that interact with each other whose names start with the same letter or sound alike can get confusing for the reader. That was true for me in this one. It kinda dragged through the first 2/3 but the ending was worth the read.
Ann
This book was OK. Sarah Quilleran owns the Hemlock Falls Inn. She has the usual wacky staff members, a holy roller who puts Bible tracts in the rooms of the guests. Her sister Meg is the chef for the inn. She insists on doing things her own way even if it is forbidden by the board of health. She doesn't like a guest, he gets baking soda or ipecac in his food. It is the annual reinactment of a famous witch trial. Sarah gets one of the guests to play the part of the witch who is pressed by stones. ...more
Kari
A Taste for Murder was a random pick from my library. I have never read a book by this author or any other in this series. It looked like it would be an amusing cozy mystery, so I gave it a try. The basic premise is 2 sisters who leave their careers to open a bed and breakfast in Hemlock Falls. They get entangled in a murder investigation and Sarah, who everyone calls Quill, is determined to solve the crime.

I thought this one was just OK. I had a few issues with the story that will probably keep
Katie
A very light, fun read with a good mystery and a quaint setting. As the first book in this series, it got my attention enough to want to read more. It was a bit tough to keep all of the characters straight because there were so many. The "cast of characters" page in the front of the book helped a bit although it was cumbersome to keep flipping back and forth. A great cozy mystery to kick back and relax with in hand.
Diane
I read this book in a combination copy with A Dash of Death, and I will not be reading A Dash of Death. I was so glad to finally come to the end of A Taste for Murder - in fact, closed the book a few pages before the end - enough is enough! I found the story interesting, but the writing was tedious and seemed to go on forever. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for this book. But really . . . ONE recipe?!?!?!?!
Sari Lynn
I found this book disappointing. I'd expected to love it - I'm a fan of cozy mysteries, and used to live in the town in Central New York on which the fictional town of Hemlock Falls is based. The characters seemed a bit wooden, the dialogue was stilted, nothing about the writing style had any grace. All in all, I found it to be an unsatisfying read. Not recommended.
Lis Carey
Sarah "Quill" Quilliam is the owner/manager of the Inn at Hemlock Falls, in Hemlock Falls, New York. Her sister Meg is the chef. They're not natives of this little upstate New York town, but moved there from New York City, after Meg's husband died and Quill decided she needed a break from her art career. They're both enjoying their new life, and the Inn is just starting to be profitable--when they have a week out of their worst nightmares and disaster may be upon them.

It's the week of the town's
C.
I found the fifth volume of ‘Claudia Bishop’s’ food mystery series in a bargain bin and after a few years, procured the prequels to ”Death Dines Out”. There are four but in confusion, I first tried the fifth. I found it terrible but liked her angel series under her real name, Mary Stanton. I finally gave the first food novel a try. I was glad to orient myself into the cast of characters properly.

As a mystery adventure, I readily admit “A Taste For Murder” is superior. However I can’t bear the wr
Stephanie
This is the first in a series featuring the young-ish proprietress of a grand old inn in the New England town of Hemlock Falls. Her name is Sarah “Quill” Quilleran and she is joined by her sister Meg, a renowned gourmet chef who runs the kitchen of the Inn, John, the American Indian hotel manager and accountant and her boyfriend the sheriff. The book takes place during the town’s festival celebrating its witch-persecuting past and when people start dying, Quill starts interfering. Rather incompe ...more
Susan
A Taste for Murder by Claudia Bishop is the first book of the Hemlock Falls mystery series set in contemporary upstate New York. Sarah "Quill" Quilliam owns The Inn at Hemlock Falls, in the fictitious small town Hemlock Falls. Her sister Meg is a gourmet chef, moody and talented, proud of the inn's 4-star rating in gourmet magazine L'Aperitif. Quill depends upon manager John Raintree to keep the inn running smoothly and the accounts up to date.

A series of murders, together with John's disappeara
Renee
This is another book that was living in my study for years, unread. How did that happen?????

I ask because the book is set in the fictional town of Hemlock Falls, NY, just down the road a ways from Ithaca. In fact, many of the employees at the Hemlock Falls Inn come from the Cornell Hotel School. Leaving Ithaca, when I graduated from college, was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. See why I can't figure out how I missed this?

I'm glad to see that Claudia Bishop has done well since publ
Tammie Painter
Imagine chick-lit combined with mystery and that's A Taste for Murder. I'm not much of a mystery reader, but this was available as an audiobook through my library so I gave it a listen. Although I wouldn't list it as one of my favorite books I've read this year, it was entertaining and did keep me guessing. If you want a fun read (and to be made hungry by the food served in the book's inn), give this a try.
Patty Allen
I really liked this fun easy going mystery about 2 sisters who own Hemlock Falls Inn in New York. Meg is the chef, and Sarah (Quinn) runs the business side of the Inn. The book has plenty of mystery, sabotage, and murders to keep the book moving along. I enjoyed the book so much, I plan on reading the other books in the series.
Jenn
Jun 18, 2014 Jenn marked it as didn-t-finish  ·  review of another edition
Justine Eyre is a terrible narrator, and we didn't make it past the second chapter. Her voices were incredibly grating, and there weren't enough to go around.

The story itself seemed to have a decent lead-in, and I might go back to read it as an actual book, but the audiobook version was unlistenable.
Sharon
A cozy mystery. It was ok, but not good enough to inspire me to read any more in the series. It did have an interesting twist in that the main character, who is the amateur sleuth in the story, didn't actually solve the mystery! I kind of enjoyed that.
Linda C
Sarah and Meg Quilliam own the Inn at Hemlock Falls; Sarah manages and Meg cooks. In July at the time of the Hemlock History Days festival things begin to go wrong; a pair of widows have a series of complaints, a disgruntled competitor calls in the Dept of Health on Meg, someone calls booked guests and claims the Inn is closed, and then the suspicious deaths occur. Sarah does some amateur investigating with her close friend, the sheriff. There is a large cast of local characters who will obvious ...more
Jolie
I really wanted to like this book, as I have many other series with food themes, or B&B themes, etc., that I really enjoy, but I just didn't. For one thing, the lead character's nickname is Quill, which is too close to Qwill, from the Lilian Jackson Braun books. For another, half of the characters irritated me and half didn't inspire me to care one way or the other. The writing was good, but to have a book that features the restaurant in an inn and only have one recipe per book (I had a 2-st ...more
Barb
First book of series.

Hemlock Falls is a pretty little town in upstate New York. Sarah Quilliam, with her talent for business, runs the Inn at Hemlock Falls, while her sister, Meg, keeps the guests happy with her culinary abilities. But when it comes to murder, the Quilliam sisters have to rely on other skills--spotting clues, solving crimes, and catching culprits when a reenactment of the seventeenth-century witch trials turns all too real when a mock execution leads to a very dead victim.

Prett
Samantha
Yet another female author who can't seem to write a believable and/or likable female character. Strange. Tedious.
Staci
Feb 06, 2010 Staci rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Cozy Mystery Readers
Shelves: 2010-reads
Both of these books had great story lines that were fun to read. I loved trying to figure out who the killer was and I guessed it for both of them!! (Go me!) I really like the Quill Sisters because they each have their own personalities and they play off of each other very well. One runs the Inn and the other is the Gourmet Chef. There are a lot of characters (in my opinion too many to try to keep track of at times) that are very quirky and most of them add to the story, but there are some that ...more
Julie
Nov 20, 2014 Julie added it
listened
Karen
A cute tale about an inn owner, intrigue and murder.
Evelyn
A fun cozy mystery. Looking forward to reading more of Claudia Bishop's books
Gerry
I enjoyed this fun and interesting story of an inn in a small town in New York. The history celebration of a witch trial and execution is put on every year even though many of the town people are a bit squirmy over the details.

This particular year has many things going wrong around the Inn and the celebration. Murder occurs of course, and other fun and silly happenings as well.

I hope to read more of this series.

I listened to this as an audio book.
Mailis Viiand
Well the whodunnit nutso was quite obvious to detect from early on, but i think the series will grow on me. It delivers what it promises, good village mystery cozy, where most of the people are supposed to be quirky and funnily annoying, but kind of ended up being a tad too annoying for my taste. I love the setting, and the food descriptions brought on a case of munchies every time. Luckily or sadly the fridge was empty, so ill try to hold that thought.
Diana Gotsch
As cozy mysteries go, this was a good. Nice puzzle with the killer well hidden in plain view from the reader. Plenty of unique characters to entertain and serve as red herrings. It managed to avoid most of the plot lines that appear over and over again in mysteries. It is the first in the series and has characters and location that should allow for believable future ones. I will certainly try the second one at least.
Jo Barton
Good for a light read. Not over complicated. A great one for in between more serious reads. Will read more in this series.
Ellemiek
Cute book as far as the mystery goes not too surprising.
Denise
Kind of cliche but enjoyable.
Barb
I downloaded the audio version via overdrive to my phone so I could listen while knitting during my recent 2-week travels. Perfect for this! Silly but clever mystery! When done I downloaded #7 the next one available and I enjoyed it too! It's the kind of "read" that you can blank out on and still get along when your attention is drawn back .
  • One Bad Apple (Orchard, #1)
  • Steamed (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #1)
  • Candy Apple Dead (A Candy Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Deadly Nightshade (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #1)
  • A Catered Murder (A Mystery with Recipes, #1)
  • Some Like It Hot-Buttered (Double Feature Mystery #1)
  • Killer Mousse (A Della Cooks Mystery #1)
  • Pretty Poison (A Peggy Lee Garden Mystery, #1)
  • A Brisket, a Casket (A Deadly Deli Mystery, #1)
  • Crime Brûlée (A Carolyn Blue Culinary Mystery, #1)
  • Just Desserts (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #1)
  • Cookie Dough or Die (A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Canaries Don't Sing (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #1)
  • Cooking Up Murder (A Cooking Class Mystery, #1)
  • Sink Trap (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #1)
  • Dead Air (A Talk Radio Mystery #1)
  • A Deadly Row (A Mystery By The Numbers, #1)
  • First-Degree Fudge (A Fudge Shop Mystery #1)
Claudia Bishop is the nom de plume of mystery & fantasy author Mary Stanton.
More about Claudia Bishop...

Hemlock Falls Mysteries (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • A Dash of Death (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #2)
  • A Pinch of Poison (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #3)
  • Murder Well-Done (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #4)
  • Death Dines Out (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #5)
  • A Touch of the Grape (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #6)
  • A Steak in Murder (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #7)
  • Marinade for Murder (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #8)
  • Just Desserts (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #9)
  • Fried by Jury (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #10)
  • A Puree of Poison (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #11)
A Dash of Death (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #2) A Pinch of Poison (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #3) Death Dines Out (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #5) A Steak in Murder (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #7) Murder Well-Done (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #4)