Start by marking “City of the Falling Sky (The Seckry Sequence, #1)” as Want to Read:
City of the Falling Sky (The Seckry Sequence, #1)

City of the Falling Sky (Seckry Sequence #1)

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  886 Ratings  ·  113 Reviews
When Seckry Sevenstars is forced out of his village by the greedy Endrin Corporation and relocated to the daunting metropolis of Skyfall City, he harbours resentment for the company and vows to get them back one day for taking away his home, his school and his friends.

Published July 22nd 2011 by Joseph Evans

To ask other readers questions about City of the Falling Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City of the Falling Sky

Incarnate by Jodi MeadowsAcross the Universe by Beth RevisPure by Jennifer L. ArmentroutUnder the Never Sky by Veronica RossiA Million Suns by Beth Revis
Noble neon -- covers that glow
93rd out of 278 books — 424 voters
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingPure by Jennifer L. ArmentroutTiger's Curse by Colleen HouckSea Glass by Maria V. SnyderFallen by Lauren Kate
In Love With BLUE Covers!
21st out of 346 books — 85 voters

More lists with this book...

Martin
Apr 01, 2012 Martin rated it did not like it
While young adult books shouldn't be judged the same as adult, the storytelling here is entirely too simplistic. Friendships are formed too quickly, trust is given too easily, and situations are resolved too neatly.

Maybe you can't expect your reader to do too much thinking in a YA book, but there has to be evidence the author has thought through character motivations and why they behave as they do. Rather than being developed, characters appear to be assigned roles: good, bad, helpful, etc. with
D.M. Dutcher
Jun 26, 2012 D.M. Dutcher rated it liked it
If you can get over the blatant similarities between this and Harry Potter, and some inconsistency in world building and plot, it's pretty good. Better than it should be, honestly.

Seckry is a boy who is forced to relocate to Skyfall City with his mother. One day doing an odd job on the net, he meets a beautiful amnesiac girl, and then gets thrown into a wild plot concerning the megacorp Endrin, one that affects everyone around him and even brings to light his own history.

First off, good lord thi
Maria Violante
Nov 06, 2011 Maria Violante rated it it was amazing
I didn't stop reading until it was over. Not to eat, not to sleep ... due to the light weight of the kindle, I didn't even have to stop to pee. Let's all just be glad that I didn't have to work today, or I think I would have been fired while trying to sneak glances between ... you know ... what it is I do.

Although the writing is simplistic at times - it is, I believe, geared for YA audiences - it is engaging, descriptive, inventive, and clever. The main character, Sekry, is whole and utterly hum
Queeniejo
Aug 07, 2014 Queeniejo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nook-books
This book was absolutely thrilling! There was adventure, romance (not that I cared much for THAT), friendships and most of all, MYSTERY. There was so much mystery to the story that it be extremely hard to write a proper review without giving away Spoilers! If I did have a complaint, it would be the kissing. I mean, the kids were only 14 for heaven's sake! But since the rest of the book was great, I'll try not to dwell on that particular scene....er, SCENES.

- :SPOILERS:-
WARNING: This part of the
Tiffany
Jan 15, 2012 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Somehow I missed writing up a review on this one. When I was reading this I couldn't help but think that a teenage boy should like it (not at all that I am clear as to what teenage boys should like). The story was well told and there was enough action and curious occurrences to keep it moving.

Likes:
1 - Seckry - I could see him being a kid in school with the challenges. But then of course he goes and does something amazing and risky making him anything but the normal student.
2 - Interesting story
Oksana
Dec 16, 2012 Oksana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Boys are boys no matter what time they live in, what games they play or what music they listen to. The City of the Falling Sky by Joseph Evans is a story of an ordinary provincial boy with an extraordinary destiny.

The events are majorly set in an alternative universe in the futuristic city of Skyfall where Secraman Sevestars moves with his mother and sister. The author creates a very believable description of the city, technology and the social situation. You clearly feel what the life in Skyfal
Angeli Reid
Dec 03, 2012 Angeli Reid rated it really liked it
It is both a blessing and a curse to be compared to -THE- J.K. Rowling. Somehow, Joseph Evans is being fit into such big, amazing, magical shoes. Well, let me tell you now, you won't get disappointed. The City of the Falling Sky is such a refreshing read (especially if you're like me, that's been reading 'dark humor' material for the past couple of months). I've said this before, that Evans' novel is one of THE best post-Potter Depression pacifier you can find. But, its more than that. Its a who ...more
Alisha
Sep 25, 2013 Alisha rated it it was ok
I started to read this one night when my wifi was down, and it was storming out. For whatever reason, this book had been downloaded to my kindle. Honestly, my son may have been reading it. Anyways, for the review, I found it to be pretty silly. The Harry Potter weirdness just didn't work in this science fiction book, like it did in the fantasy genre. Also it felt like the plot was going in so many directions, some of them completely pointless. I still don't get the point of adding the video game ...more
Lorijo Metz
Apr 18, 2012 Lorijo Metz rated it it was amazing
After reading the first chapter of City of the Falling Sky by Joseph Evans, my stomach did that nervous little twitter thing it does whenever I know I'm going to read something good. City of the Falling Sky is Evans first published novel, I believe, and it's very good. Not perfect, but very good. While Joseph mentions on his website that he was influenced by Harry Potter, I found City of the Falling Sky to be unique. Seckry, the main character is likable... almost lovable. In fact, Evans does a ...more
Kevin Fuhrman
Dec 10, 2011 Kevin Fuhrman rated it really liked it
An enjoyable read that kept me page turning the entire time I was reading it, the desire to find out what happens next is very strong. It's difficult not to make comparisons to Harry Potter after finishing it and a few parts of the book feel like it was being forced to fit a mold for "young readers" and that makes other parts seem a little out of place by comparison.

The religious themes near the end were a little shocking to find in the "young adult" catagory, however to be fair that might just
kent
Nov 23, 2011 kent rated it really liked it
OK I'm 44 years old reading young adult sci-fi, sooo, after suspending all disbelief I enjoyed the book. The author uses a third person narrator to tell the story of Seckry Sevenstars in an alternate history of the near (2173) future earth. He uses lots of cutesy sounding names and fantastical chance and coincidence. From the point of view of continuing the saga of Seckry the book ties up so many loose ends it leaves very little to lead in to the next book.
So go ahead and read it, it won't hurt
Literary Mouse
Jan 22, 2016 Literary Mouse rated it liked it
Despite the title, this book contains no city comprised of a falling sky.

Nevertheless Evans has managed to creatively bring to life a world that is entirely unique (although the similarities to Harry Potter is rather obvious).

I found despite the complex world Evans wrote in such a way that the reader easily accepts the existence of animals, foods and cities which only pages before had never been heard of. He also manages to simply deliver a plot that quite easily could've become overly complicat
Lbousson
Jul 17, 2015 Lbousson rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
The book began with a prologue that began when the protagonist was quite young. Immediately in the first chapter I learn a lot has changed between then and now, and I don't know why. I'm not a fan of prologues, but this was the hook that grabbed me in and made me read further. It read a lot quicker than I thought it would... (perhaps because of this?)

As I read more, I realized that this story is aimed at pre/teenage boys and not usually my kind of reading, but I was hoping the plot would pull m
Paige Turner
Mar 10, 2015 Paige Turner rated it liked it
Read more of my reviews here: https://paigeturnerreads.wordpress.com/

Seckry Sevenstars is a young man who gets relocated to Skyfall City with his mother and sister, Leena. At first, Seckry is certain that he will not adjust to his new life, but gradually, to his surprise, he meets great friends and starts to enjoy his new home. Then, he receives an email that wants to send him on a quest to steal worms from Endrin Cooperation for an amazing sum of money; he accepts the mission. Then he finds a g
Rayleigh
Feb 18, 2016 Rayleigh rated it liked it
I am going to start off by saying that this is probably one of the most talented authors I have ever come in contact with. His grasp for storytelling left me breathless and his incredibly developed characters and plot leave me speechless. I don’t think I’ve read such a phenomenally written story as this by a current day author.

Seckry’s love for Eyia is based solely on respect, friendship, and Biblical love to a friend that develops into a much deeper friendship. There is no physical desire or co
Merry
Jan 05, 2014 Merry rated it it was amazing
Breathtakingly original. A revelation on almost every page. Exciting and engaging blend of the usual teenaged angst and everyday life with a mesmerising array of fantastic images and events from Joseph Evans' marvelously imagined and realised world. I can't wait to connect with Seckry and his friends again. READ THIS BOOK!

Update: Please note that I haven't read the Harry Potter books, so I obviously didn't (and can't) make comparisons as other readers have.
Heathery
Dec 12, 2015 Heathery rated it really liked it
Oh my goodness, the names of things/people/places in this book is SO much like Harry Potter. To be honest, it was kind of weird and felt out of place with a futuristic book.

Nevertheless, this was an enjoyable read, overall. There were a lot of mystery tendrils flowing off the plot, but they all weaved themselves together seamlessly at the end. I really admired the skill shown in foreshadowing in this book.

The plot itself is a bit of a doozy, and it's pretty crazy by the time you get to the end,
Sidney
This was different than what I was expecting, but I ended up liking it. I'm not a big fan of video games or sci-fi (except for shows), but I didn't mind it in this. I also liked how the romance part was a sweeter, cuter kind, more fit for their age rather than a big, extreme, adult-like romance. It's a pretty good book with good characters.
Zahra Khan
Sep 29, 2014 Zahra Khan rated it it was ok
I can't remember why I borrowed this book.

I started reading it and immediately it became clear that the writing was not that great. Also plot holes!

The writing and plot got a bit better towards the end. But still lots of awful bits especially about the romantic relationships in the story. And way too many side arcs.

In short, this book had potential. But it didn't get there.
M. Gallagher
May 31, 2015 M. Gallagher rated it really liked it
A terrific debut novel for young adults, but requires significant editing before it can become a genuine bestseller.

Let me just say first of all that I think Joseph Evans has great talent as a storyteller. His imagination and world-building skills are something to be admired, and you can’t help but get sucked into this saga. ‘City of the Falling Sky’, the first title in ‘The Seckry Sequence’ trilogy, is a sci-fi coming-of-age tale that hits the ground running.

Mainly set in the futuristic dystopi
Nichelle
Jun 30, 2012 Nichelle rated it it was ok
I like to read YA books that have a male character as a possible addition to my classroom. This book was... well it was just okay. It took me a while to get through it and I didn't feel the characters were really connectable. It felt like a bad Harry Potter rip off.
Mindy
Dec 24, 2011 Mindy rated it it was ok
The story had too many threads weaving together but none had enough depth to be truly satisfying. The same goes for the characters. There were a number of could-be-interesting characters, but none had enough depth to be truly satisfying.
Nanda Zacharias
Aug 21, 2012 Nanda Zacharias rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It kept me glued to it all the time. Even though I had to put it down. I can't wait for the second book in the series!
Tamara
Oct 17, 2014 Tamara rated it it was ok
Well, somebody has read Harry Potter...
Obscured Vixen
Aug 16, 2011 Obscured Vixen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, fantasy
This book was phenomenal! If The Uglies series and Harry Potter merged, you would come out with ‘The Seckry Sequence.’ City of the Falling Sky engaged me from the first page, and never let me go. The multiple story lines, mostly unseen in YA, was a wonderful surprise. You follow Seckry through starting at a new school, playing Friction, having his first big crush, while trying to find out the mysteries behind a corporation that seems to be incorporated in all aspects of the city.

Like a typical t
Stephanie
Feb 01, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-it, series
City of the Falling Sky was a non-stop adventure that I couldn't get enough of. This is the first novel I've read of Joseph Evans and trust me it won't be the last. When evil Endrin Corporations forces everyone out of Marne, Seckry must leave his friends, his school and his home to live in Skyfall City. Once in Skyfall Seckry is introduced to a whole new world, new friends and a new game called Friction. But just when things are looking up for him, he answers an ad for a job and everything he th ...more
Kate
Jan 24, 2012 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Short and Sweet:
Wandering around on Amazon one day, I came across City of the Falling Sky. Now, the summary seemed to give a little too much away in regards to the plot (I have edited it a bit for the review), but it still looked like something different. And boy was I right! Gaming... mystery... science fiction... it is all there. And in a nice, clean package.

City of the Falling Sky has multiple story lines. All interwoven together in an engrossing way. I must gives kudos to Evans for keeping a
Rachel "Rai29"
Oct 25, 2011 Rachel "Rai29" rated it liked it
When fourteen year old Seckry Sevenstars is forced out of his village by the greedy Endrin Corporation and relocated to the daunting metropolis of Skyfall City, he harbours resentment for the company and vows to get them back one day for taking away his home, his school and his friends. Fortunately, the marvels of the city do a good job in distracting Seckry from his anger and homesickness, and it isn’t long before he’s competing at Friction (the city’s most popular multiplayer video game), slur ...more
Kathryn
Oct 24, 2011 Kathryn rated it really liked it
A great YA book. It was well written and very engrossing. It's the first published novel from Evans and I will definitely read the next books. He did a good job of tying up all the loose ends and leaving the reader wanting more. It's also one of those few books I've read about that I keep thinking about long after I finish. I can't wait for the second book. I would love to see the book made into a movie.

Spoiler alert........................

There is one weird thing about the book that I have mix
J.C. Hart
Nov 18, 2011 J.C. Hart rated it really liked it
This book was actually a really good read. While I felt like it was written for an audience far younger than I (with the character names and style of writing reminding me strongly of the first Harry Potter book), I still felt myself drawn in. Evans has a really easy style of writing, so the story flowed nicely.

The characters are all fairly well drawn, and there is everything you would expect from a YA novel from the love interest, the best friend, the teacher/mentor, family members through to th
  • Cathedral of Dreams
  • Walker
  • Rex Rising (Elei's Chronicles, #1)
  • Psion Beta (Psion, #1)
  • The Glass Wall (Return of the Ancients, #1)
  • Prison Nation (Prison Nation, #1)
  • The Overtaking
  • Death Whispers (The Death Series, #1)
  • Excelsior
  • Winter's Awakening: The Metahumans Emerge (Winter's Saga, #1)
  • Verita (Verita, #1)
  • Vrin: Ten Mortal Gods
  • Darklandia
  • Cassidy Jones and Vulcan's Gift (Cassidy Jones Adventures, #2)
  • Worlds Burn Through (The Chronicles of Nowhere #1)
  • Riser (The Riser Saga, #1)
  • A Place Beyond The Map
  • The Eve Genome

Seckry Sequence (2 books)
  • The Trinity Awakening (Seckry Sequence, #2)