Start by marking “Beyond All Price” as Want to Read:
Beyond All Price

Beyond All Price (The Civil War in South Carolina's Low Country)

This is an award-winning historical novel. Nellie Chase was a fascinating and complex young woman, but she played only a small part in the machine that was the Union Army. History books have recorded only a few lines about her experiences as a Civil War nurse. She left no personal letters and no formal records, but those whose lives she touched remembered her as an angel o ...more
Published (first published January 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond All Price, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond All Price

Melinda Lang
Jan 25, 2012 Melinda Lang rated it it was ok
This novel read more like a history book and a very boring one at that. I skipped entire paragraphs just to get through and I finished it thinking I hadn't missed a thing. As much as I tried to like Nellie, I just didn't. She was hasty and emotional and childish through most of the book, always "holding back tears" or "biting her tongue." I didn't get her at all and as she was the heroine of the book, it was disconcerting to not be able to connect with her on any level. The rest of the character ...more
Jan 16, 2012 Sara rated it it was ok
I thought she made the nurse unbelievably stupid about men. I realize this was a women in a man's world but she kept on making things worse for herself with those that wanted her out of the picture. Maybe it was just the lackluster writing. I just read it to finish. Not that I was interested in any of the lives here.
Dana Sahm
Jul 28, 2011 Dana Sahm rated it really liked it
This was an extremely enjoyable story based on the life of Nellie Chase, a well known and much loved nurse for the Union Army during the Civil War. I highly recommend this book, especially those who enjoy well researched historical fiction.
Mar 10, 2013 Angela rated it it was amazing
Every week I randomly download a free book from Amazon just to have something on the side to pass free time. Most of the time the free books are either okay or poorly written (I'm not complaining because they are free, but just stating my general consensus). Therefore, I was quite surprised when I found this little gem. This book is an easy read and I was able to easily sympathize with the main character. The details in the book are very descriptive and the author highlights the book with many h ...more
Joyce Faulkner
Aug 04, 2012 Joyce Faulkner rated it it was amazing
Beyond All Price is a five-by-eight inch paperback book. The cover has a pleasant design portraying a gun battery at Fort Donelson, Tennessee. As Civil War fiction, this book presents a well-researched chronicle of Nellie Chase’s career as matron and nurse to the 100th Pennsylvania Veteran Volunteer Infantry Regiment.

Nellie Chase existed. The 100th Pennsylvania Regiment existed. This fictional account of Nellie’s efforts gives the reader an insight to the early years of the Civil War; as the 100
Shari Larsen
Sep 06, 2011 Shari Larsen rated it really liked it
This is the fictionalized of Nellie Chase, a real woman who served as a nurse during the Civil War. She originally volunteered with the 100th Pennsylvania Regiment to escape her past, which was considered scandalous back in those days, but today would barely raise an eyebrow. She had little training as a nurse, but she was a fast learner, and her organizational skills helped to develop the veteran hospitals that we have today.

I really enjoyed this story of Nellie, and I loved that she was a cat
Oct 16, 2011 Laurie rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
Great historical fiction of a young lady, Nellie Chase, from Maine who volunteers for the the 100th Pennysylvania Voluntary Infantry in the Cival War as a matron nurse. She has no experience when she begins but earns a reputation as an extremely capable nurse despite her background. Her struggle to be recognized and respected shows amazing strength in a setting which does not welcome females amongst their ranks. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and learned many things about the civil war which i k ...more
Val Wilkerson
Aug 24, 2011 Val Wilkerson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-books-read
Historical fiction. This was about a volunteer nurse named Nellie Chase. During the civil war she claimed to be 25 years old, actually she was only 19, and literally talked them into letting her
go along with the troops as the matron. Her medical experience was only what she had learned from
her grandmother about what herbs to use for this and that. She ended up caring for the seriously injured, aiding with amputations out in the field, and it was just an incredible story. After
I finished the book
Oct 19, 2011 Janet rated it liked it
This is the story of young woman who becomes volunteer "nurse" in military during the Civil War. The story was a bit slow going until towards the end. The characters were well developed and realistically flawed, as we all are. Overall it was worth spending this time reading historical fiction, because I am very weak in history. Story + history was palatable in this case.
Aug 21, 2011 Kathy rated it really liked it
Very good historical novel. Based on Civil War history. Enjoyed following the main character as she followed a group of former farmers into the Union Army down through the East coast into Georgia. Good details without being boring. Characters are well developed.
Cher-lynn Maynard
Aug 15, 2011 Cher-lynn Maynard rated it it was amazing
Really good book. A story written about a woman who didn't want to be famous or get recognition she just wanted to serve her country and take care of her soldiers. She was a great nurse and matron at the different hospitals and battlefield hospitals she served at.
Jina Howell-Forbes
Apr 30, 2014 Jina Howell-Forbes rated it it was ok
This is an historical novel based on true events but fictionalized in order to add dialogue and connect events together. It is an interesting subject, but the telling of it here came out dry and rather boring.
Jan 03, 2012 Georgiana rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-free
The book was more than okay, especially for a free Kindle book. However, many dialogues read as if they are examples from self-help books, with bits of wisdom phrased in a way that makes them seem fake in speech.
Susan Clingman
Nov 02, 2013 Susan Clingman rated it it was amazing
Fictional account of a real-life Civil War nurse. What is known of Nelli Chase, was gathered from letters of soldiers who were cared for by her.
Lorena Engen
Sep 14, 2011 Lorena Engen rated it it was amazing
History of the civil war but in novel form. Highlights one woman as she nurses her way through the war.
Kristin De
Jan 09, 2013 Kristin De rated it really liked it
I really wound up liking this book, even though it was kind-of hard work to get through. it helps to know that it is historical fiction, based on a real person.
Feb 07, 2016 Sue rated it really liked it
another historical fiction that I find I enjoy. This one about the Civil War and a nurse Nellie Chase and the hardships she suffered as a female at the forefront of war.
Takro rated it it was ok
Apr 30, 2016
Destiny rated it did not like it
Oct 13, 2014
Dorothy A Anderson
Dorothy A Anderson rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2016
Marcy rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2015
Jane rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2012
Charles Pruter
Charles Pruter rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2016
caroljordan rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2016
Tiffany J
Tiffany J rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2012
Emily Tuthill
Emily Tuthill rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2015
Clarissa Nelson
Clarissa Nelson rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2013
Rose Hayden
Rose Hayden rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2011
Dawn Abrams
Dawn Abrams rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2014
Deborah rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Destiny (Spirit of Union #1)
  • The Light Horseman's Daughter
  • The Little Known
  • Best Little Stories from the Civil War: More than 100 true stories
  • Reinventing Leona
  • Heartbreak Trail
  • Vanquished (The Roxbury Trilogy, #1)
  • The Highest Stakes
  • Veiled Freedom
  • The World From Rough Stones
  • Clear Blue Sky
As a tenured professor at Rhodes College, Carolyn Poling Schriber specialized in medieval history and published extensively on relationships between Anglo-Norman bishops and kings in the twelfth century. After attaining Professor Emerita status, she retired from teaching and focused her attention on her second love, the history of America's Civil War..
Her Civil War books, including A Scratch with
More about Carolyn P. Schriber...

The Civil War in South Carolina's Low Country (4 books)
  • Left by the Side of the Road: Characters without a Novel
  • The Road to Frogmore: Turning Slaves into Citizens
  • A Scratch with the Rebels: A Pennsylvania Roundhead and a South Carolina Cavalier