Start by marking “Arthur, For the Very First Time” as Want to Read:
Arthur, For the Very First Time

Arthur, For the Very First Time

Arthur Rasby is ten years old and having the worst summer of his life. His parents don't listen to him, so he writes everything down -- everything that's real -- in his journal. But when he goes to stay with his Great-Aunt Elda and Great-Uncle Wrisby on their farm, his world is turned upside down. For the first time Arthur wonders what's real and what's not.

His aunt and un
Published January 22nd 2002 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Arthur, For the Very First Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arthur, For the Very First Time

Selvi
Aug 25, 2011 Selvi rated it really liked it
I liked this one a lot. I think it is up there with Sarah, Plain and Tall.
Another one of those very sweet boys that I've noticed in several of her books. This time the book is told from his perspective, which is nice because we're trying to include more boy books, and familiarize ourselves with "boy lit". (CCL)
Becky
Sep 06, 2015 Becky rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading Patricia MacLachlan's Arthur, For the Very First Time. Readers meet a young ten-year old boy, Arthur, and journey with him to his aunt-and-uncle's farm for an eventful summer. Arthur is a somewhat troubled young boy. Troubled being VERY relative of course. He's having trouble communicating with his parents. They still haven't told him that he's to have a little brother or little sister. Though he has figured it out himself. He hasn't exactly told them he knows or how he feels a ...more
Joanne G.
Jul 31, 2012 Joanne G. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
MacLachlan handles very deep subjects with simplicity and sweetness. I'm sorry her books weren't around for me to discover as a child, but I'm enjoying them as an adult.
Rosie Preciado
Jul 31, 2015 Rosie Preciado rated it really liked it
Arthur Rasby is an observer. Everything he hears or learns goes into his journal. When his mother is expecting a baby, Arthur`s parents send him to stay with his aunt and uncle. Here he meets Pauline the chicken, neighbor Moria, and a sow that loves singing. Arthur is a natural observer, but gets a new perspective before the summer is over.
This is another book I loved as a kid; it's right up there with Sarah, Plain and Tall. I think it's because of this book that I started to keep a journal of m
Josiah
Oct 04, 2011 Josiah rated it liked it
It's interesting to me that five years before the publication of Sarah, Plain and Tall, author Patricia MacLachlan made mention of the concept of "mail-order wives" in this book, Arthur, for the Very First Time. Perhaps it was during this period that the idea for her Newbery Medal-winning book first began to germinate; in hindsight, the few sentences in Arthur, for the Very First Time that directly address the topic of wedding engagements often being agreed to via correspondence in the days of ...more
Books Kids Like
Oct 07, 2013 Books Kids Like rated it it was amazing
Arthur Rasby is ten years old. Everything he reads or hears is written in his journal for future reference. This particular summer, his mother is pregnant and very irritable. As a result, his parents are not getting along, so they send Arthur to the country to live with Great-Uncle Wrisby and Great-Aunt Elda. On their farm, Arthur enters a world where nothing is orderly or commonplace. His aunt and uncle have a pet chicken named Pauline who understands French and sleeps in a cradle beside the st ...more
Amber the Human
May 05, 2014 Amber the Human rated it liked it
MacLachlan has this odd way of writing where she throws you into a story immediately and let's you splutter and splash and eventually figure out what's going on. I'm not sure if I like it or not, but I do like the writing - so yes? But I am occasionally frustrated by it. This book is the same. But all the characters are lovable and there's a good message.
Story Revolution

His aunt and uncle do things Arthur's parents would never do -- like climbing out windows to sit in trees, singing to their pet pig, and spe

Amy Carter
I love this book . It's a little strange but has a nice message about trying new things and getting through a family trial that is a little scary for young kids. I love the way MacLachlan writes.
Mellanie C
Aug 18, 2016 Mellanie C marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Susan
May 30, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-book
A book is going to be good when one of the characters is called, "Moreover". And there's a hen that will respond to commands in French, and a very large sow who likes singing.

The story of Arthur's summer with his great-aunt and uncle is just as charming as all of MacLachlan's other books. Arthur learns a lot about himself in this summer. He's sent to stay with his great-aunt and great-uncle because his mother is expecting a baby - not that his parents have told him this. Arthur is an observer.
Andrea
Jul 29, 2012 Andrea rated it it was amazing
I first read this book for a children's literature class many years ago. I liked it then, but when I read it to my son last month, I enjoyed it even more. The book is funny and sad and thoughtful all at the same time. The characters, especially Arthur, his great-aunt and great-uncle, and their hen, Pauline, are memorable. This book will find you longing for summers past on the farm, even if you never stepped foot on one in your life.

Sharla
Jan 19, 2015 Sharla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Reviewed for Heartland school.
Lisa
Apr 30, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Patricia MacLachlan's books are fresh, light, and fun to read -- almost as much as I remember the Laura Ingalls Wilder books, but in a different era altogether. Highly recommend for young readers.
Stefani Brand
Sep 05, 2011 Stefani Brand rated it really liked it
Great book for the beginning of the school year. Arthur uses a journal to record what he notices and thinks about. Patricia MacLachlan uses language in surprising ways. Great read!
Laura Verret
A cute story, but MacLachlan's writing is deep - almost too deep for an undiscerning child. Big life questions are raised in her stories, which I don't believe she adequately answers.
Cinnamon
Jun 29, 2011 Cinnamon marked it as could-not-finish
I liked it at first, but I lost interest quickly. Just not enough action to keep me involved.
Allison
Mar 21, 2016 Allison rated it really liked it
great characters and great messages
Laura Morrigan
As a child I read this over and over again and truly loved it.
WSL Library
Recommends it for: peepulz
Recommended to Vidya by: sahana
funny
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Hope
Hope added it
Sep 03, 2016
Jayden Mahoney
Jayden Mahoney marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Jenn Will
Jenn Will marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
Laura Chegwidden
Laura Chegwidden marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Laura J.
Laura J. rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2016
  • The Fairy Caravan
  • Sharks
  • Ginger
  • Night Kites
Patricia MacLachlan is a bestselling U.S. children's author, best known for winning the 1986 Newbery Medal for her book Sarah, Plain and Tall.

For more information, please see http://www.answers.com/topic/patricia...
More about Patricia MacLachlan...