Start by marking “Stonewall (Heroes in Time #1)” as Want to Read:
Stonewall (Heroes in Time #1)

Stonewall (Heroes in Time #1)

A powerful work of historical fiction that dramatizes the romantic, brutal, and glorious life of Stonewall Jackson, one of the Civil War's greatest heroes.
Published September 15th 1998 by B Fiction (first published September 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Stonewall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stonewall

Jean Wilund
Feb 05, 2011 Jean Wilund rated it it was amazing
I was so surprised to like this book as I have little interest in war memoirs, and I have to be honest but I I found it hard to comprehend that someone could have supported the "southern cause" and have a close walk with the Lord. This book actually changed my opinion. I never considered that there were soldiers who fought for the South who were not actually fighting for slavery. I'm not going to get into all of that here...just read it you'll see. But that's not why I loved this book. Stonewall ...more
Suzannah
Aug 29, 2014 Suzannah rated it really liked it
A moving, detailed portrait of a truly great man. John J Dwyer writes with passion and humour, painting a vivid and gut-wrenching picture of war. There are some editorial issues--lots of exposition shoehorned into unlikely places, unevenness in style between Dwyer's writing and quotations from the actual historical characters, and a few groaners like "peaked" for "piqued" and "berthed" for "birthed", but that does little to damp the extraordinary power of a jawdropping bit of history.

Now I know
Sally Cronkright
Mar 01, 2008 Sally Cronkright rated it it was amazing
This was a time when our country was torn apart. I learned that God does not take sides in war. He lives in the hearts of both. This war wasn't about slavery. Stonewall opposed slavery. I realize that our country isn't 'great' because God chose America. I believe we became a 'great' nation because of leaders like Stonewall who chose God first. If only we had leaders like this now. Who would dare to put their own lives at risk before the lives of their men. If so would we be sacrificing lives of ...more
Jessica
Sep 19, 2007 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 16 And Up
An excellently written novel covering Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson's life from the time he was a toddler to his death. Beautiful and tear-jerking! I absolutely loved this book! Before I read it I had no idea that he was married before he married Anna Jackson, and I had no idea that he knew the "Poetess of the Confederacy"!
Beautiful, and thought-provoking, this book will leave you thinking long after you close the last page!

Sally  Smith
Sep 25, 2011 Sally Smith rated it it was ok
I read it because I wanted to know more about the man that I hear so much about - living in the village where he won his last victory. The writing may have been exceptional, however I didn't like the man from beginning to end.
Karla M
Dwyer really portrayed all aspects of Stonewall's life, including how this godly man used the aspects of war as a means of witnessing to his men. It is a good biography to use while studying civil war. I also liked the fact that the author uses challenging words to increase vocabulary.
Lucy
Oct 09, 2012 Lucy rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book about a great American general.
I truly believe the tide of the war changed after the events in The Wilderness. Lee lost an amazing leader and a man of faith, both in his God and his cause.
Lindsey
Jan 22, 2015 Lindsey rated it it was amazing
Love this book!
Rosemary A.
Oct 06, 2011 Rosemary A. rated it liked it
I must say that I didn't like the battle sections but Jackson was an interesting man.
Kenneth Baird
Jul 20, 2013 Kenneth Baird rated it it was amazing
Great biographical novel of an uncommon man.
Wendyann
Wendyann rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2014
Abigail Johnson
Abigail Johnson rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2016
Chandler
Chandler rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2016
Abigail
Abigail rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2008
Abigail
Abigail rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2015
Myron
Jun 05, 2009 Myron rated it really liked it
Great author. Super American icon, Thomas Jackson. Great read.
Michael Hayter
Michael Hayter rated it liked it
May 18, 2014
Tom Sharp
Tom Sharp rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2013
Amanda Hubbard
Amanda Hubbard rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2017
Chris Keswick
Chris Keswick rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2013
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2012
Dad
Dad rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2011
Kirk
Kirk rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2015
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2013
Ellen Turnbaugh
Ellen Turnbaugh rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2015
Karen Morris
Karen Morris rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2014
Richard Lallo
Richard Lallo rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2014
Scott Childers
Scott Childers rated it it was ok
May 28, 2017
Libby
Libby rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
John J. Dwyer is a popular author and speaker and is Adjunct Professor of History at both Southern Nazarene University and Oklahoma City Community College. He is former history chair at a classical college preparatory school, newspaper publisher, and radio host. His books include the new novel When the Bluebonnets Come and the non-fiction historical narrative The War Between the States: America's ...more
More about John J. Dwyer...

Heroes in Time (2 books)
  • Robert E. Lee (Heroes in Time #2)