Start by marking “The White Raven” as Want to Read:
The White Raven

The White Raven

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  776 ratings  ·  23 reviews
This haunting retelling of the tale of Tristan and Iseult (here called Drustan and Esseilte in accordance with Celtic legend and language) goes back to early versions, before Mallory and Wagner, to explore the nature of love, duty and loyalty. The story is told by Branwen, cousin and companion to Esseilte, daughter of the High King of Eriu (Ireland).

The two young women sa
Published August 1st 1989 by Avon Books (Mm) (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The White Raven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The White Raven

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
Favorites of the Fantasy Book Club
200th out of 504 books — 1,002 voters
The Maid of the White Hands by Rosalind MilesThe Lady of the Sea by Rosalind MilesIsolde, Queen of the Western Isle by Rosalind MilesCastle Dor by Daphne du MaurierTwilight of Avalon by Anna Elliott
Tristan & Isolde Retellings
6th out of 36 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Lara
Does anyone else feel that Tristan and Isolde were the two most selfish people on the planet? So they drink a love potion--you'd think that two reasonably intelligent people could grit their teeth, say "You know, I hated you five minutes ago, and now you're the moon in my sky--something's gone wrong here." But nooooo, they proceed to destroy a kingdom, cuckold a King who'd done nothing to either of them, and lie to *everyone* just so they can carry on their torrid affair that ends in tragedy.

For
Celeste
Jun 17, 2009 Celeste rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: fantasy
I was really enjoying this book until about page 280 or so when the author suddenly felt it necessary to include a "rape her till she likes it" scene.
kari
Jun 02, 2010 kari rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Insomniacs, it will work wonderfully
Recommended to kari by: No one, I stupidly chose it myself
Shelves: 2010
Dreadful.
The unique talent of an author to take one of the most romantic, heartbreaking legends of all time and make it completely boring is something I’ve thankfully, rarely experienced and hope never to do again. This book just plods along. I kept thinking, I’ll read just one more chapter, maybe it will get better. And by the time I realized it was never going to get better, I was halfway through and decided I might as well push myself and finish it. The last thirty pages make it a two star r
Amy
I loved this book in high school when I first read it. Nearly 20 years later, I picked it up again to see if I still do. I do.
The beginning has some standard set-the-stage scenes that felt "blah blah get on with it," but the story builds from there. Paxon's descriptions of setting are beautiful ( and relevant to the setting/stage/time period) and her characters are very interesting explorations of legendary figures. Sometimes I get tired of the main character's doubts and reflections, but that'
Bronwyn
4.5 stars out of 5.

I thought that this story was very lovely. 'The White Raven' tells the tale of Drustan and Esseilte (Tristan and Isolde)from the point-of-view of Esseilte's cousin and personal servant, Branwen. While we are all familiar with the tragic fate of the star-crossed lovers, Paxson introduces the idea that it would take a devoted and loving third party to keep the machinations of such a forbidden love from unraveling. This story is told with her voice.

Lushly written with haunting, s
Robin
Sep 12, 2011 Robin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who loves a good tale of strife, growth and love.
This is a beautiful mix between historical romance and the fantasy of myth. It is a grand story that's been told impeccably well. I'm glad I picked this up when I randomly found it. It is a most enjoyable addition to my collection.
Sue
A very intriguing but, ultimately just adequate, take on the story of Tristan and Isolde. From the git go I was eager to see this tale through the eyes of a character who is always included in any incarnation of this legend, but who we rarely get to spend any time with. Here, Branwen in her own right is powerful and independent but is chained to a love of a different sort. I was also grateful to spend as much time away from both Drustan and Esseilte as possible, because here they were as obnoxio ...more
Angela "Dharma"
This is one of my all-time favorites! Wonderfully gripping story - the only book that ever twisted my heart to the point of weeping.
Doris Pearson
First few pages didn't get me but then it got exciting and couldn't set it down.. fascinating story
SANDRA
MY FUTURE CHILD WILL B NAMED ISOLDA.. LOL
Rusty
This is a romantic retelling the beautiful story of Tristan and Iseult. I cried as I read the last few pages. It's enchanting. The author explains that Drustan and Marc'h lived as believed. It appears that Drustan could have been Marc'h's son and the author explains how this may be so. Discovering a faint carving that was later addded to the Drustanius gravestone indicates that Eisseilt may well have existed as well. And, because of the rules governing royal behavior at the time, Paxton explains ...more
Raven Oak
Aug 14, 2014 Raven Oak rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lovers of Celtic fantasy
As a hormonal teenager, reading about the love triangle of Drustan & Esseilte and Marc’h, King of Kernow (Cornwall) meant something I could identify with as a young teen in love. I loved the novel—the characters, the plot, everything. Drustan was awesome and all, but I found King Marc’h to be the better character. He held a strength and a passion not driven by a love potion. Instead of lust, he was love.
As an adult, I can better appreciate Paxson's word choice and the cadence of her language
Hafiza
Read as ebook from Open Library
Long winded but well written.
Branwen was too self sacrificing and weak for most of the book, but I had to keep reading to see if she got her HEA
Rena Sherwood
Oh, please. Has dialogue like "I need to feel his manhood throbbing between my legs." Silly take on a legend.
Debbie
This book offers a very interesting view of the tragic romance of Tristan and Iseult(here called Drustan and Esseilte). It is told through the eyes of Branwen, Esseilte's cousin, who aids Esseilte and Drustan in their affair. At the same time Branwen falls in love with King Marc'h, Esseilte's scorned husband. It is a tragic tale told from an interesting perspective and even though you know how it ends, you still keep reading to see what happens next.
Jackie
A retelling of Tristan and Isolde. My favorite version of this tale by far.
A great read; I felt I was there, not part of the story but watching from a bird's eye vantage. Another book I gave away and wish I didn't. I'd like to read it again sometime.
Andria
It wasn't my most favorite book ever. The plot was okay, and the story wasn't as bad as it couldn't been, but I wasn't that impressed with it.

Still, it was an okay story, which was why I gave it a two star review.
Elizabeth
Read this long long ago. When i took Arthurian Legengs at LSU we read Tristan and Isolde and i just kept thinking, "Hey i already read this!"
Ann
one of my all time favorites, i've owned this forever and refuse to let go of it! great celtic storyline! tristan and isolde!!!!
Karen
One of my all-time favorites. But, the tragic aspect makes me read it less than others of my favorites.
Sara
An exhaustingly historic and emotional retelling of Trystan and Isolde.
Valerie
I loved this book when I first read it. I wonder how I'd like it now.
Cindy Gregson
Cindy Gregson marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Joe Carangi
Joe Carangi marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Brendan Jure
Brendan Jure marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Sol Dulac
Sol Dulac marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
  • In the Shadow of the Oak King (Dragon's Heirs, #1)
  • Beloved Exile (Firelord, #2)
  • Grail Prince
  • The Idylls of the Queen: A Tale of Queen Guenevere
  • Rhinegold
  • The Hedge of Mist (The Tales of Arthur, #3)
  • Dark Moon of Avalon (Twilight of Avalon, #2)
  • Guinevere: The Legend in Autumn  (Guinevere, #3)
  • The Road to Avalon (Dark Ages of Britain, #1)
  • Hawk of May
  • Gwenhwyfar: The White Spirit
  • Sons of Avalon: Merlin's Prophecy
  • Web of Light (The Fall of Atlantis, #1)
  • Bard: The Odyssey of the Irish
  • Guinevere (Guinevere, #1)
  • The Dragon Queen (Tales of Guinevere, #1)
  • In Camelot's Shadow (The Paths to Camelot, #1)
  • Isolde, Queen of the Western Isle (Tristan and Isolde, #1)
Diana L. Paxson (born 1943) is a novelist and author of nonfiction, primarily in the fields of Paganism and Heathenism. Her published works include fantasy and historical fiction novels, as well as numerous short stories. More recently she has also published nonfiction books about Pagan and Heathen religions and practices.

In addition to her multiple novels and collaborations, she has written over
More about Diana L. Paxson...
Ancestors of Avalon (Avalon, #5) Sword of Avalon (Avalon #7) Ravens of Avalon (Avalon #6) Marion Zimmer Bradley's Sword and Sorceress XXI Essential Asatru: Walking the Path of Norse Paganism