Start by marking “Winning Sounds Like This: A Season with the Women's Basketball Team at Gallaudet, the World's Only University for the Deaf” as Want to Read:

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  46 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
The Gallaudet women’s basketball team has just defeated the number one ranked team in the country, the College of New Jersey. A reporter, not wanting to be insensitive, delicately broaches the obvious question: “How can you play so well despite your hearing impairment?” Nanette Virnig, a forward for Gallaudet, puts him at ease. “We’re not hearing impaired,” she says. “We’r ...more
Published February 11th 2003 by Three Rivers Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Winning Sounds Like This, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winning Sounds Like This

Tara Chevrestt
Oct 18, 2009 Tara Chevrestt rated it liked it
I have very little to no interest whatsoever in basketball, but I do have a strong interest in deaf women that go against the odds. Thus, this book was half boring and half intriguing for me. Let's start with the intriguing. I really enjoyed the tidbits of deaf history. I never realized Ponce de Leon played a large role in the mass realization that deaf does not mean dumb. I liked reading about the girls' personal lives, namely Touria. (A few interesting pages are dedicated to this brave woman w ...more
Jacqueline115
Nov 20, 2014 Jacqueline115 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: deaf-issues
Perfect for anyone who enjoys Deaf culture, women basketball and/or Gallaudet. Some names mentioned are familiar, 2 of the players are my sorority sisters. :)
It's a big no no in Deaf community to have hearing authors write about Deaf culture however Wayne was the exception. he spent hours with the team, coaches, players and interviewed numerous people. Wayne spent time on the team bus, watched the girls play and even slept on campus sometimes. their words, their thoughts, their signs, Wayne publ
Sadie
Dec 08, 2012 Sadie rated it really liked it
I had no prior knowledge about this University and can honestly say I've never thought about the difficulty in playing sports without being able to hear. This book isn't only about basketball but includes some fascinating history related to being deaf.
Bella
Nov 20, 2011 Bella rated it really liked it
Sports are historically an important part of Deaf culture so I was happy to find a book focused on the subject in general. But this bio follows the women's basketball team from Galludet, the first deaf liberal arts university, as they compete.
Lindsay
Oct 10, 2007 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
OK, so in the spirit of full disclosure, Wayne's my cousin, and I'm a bit biased. But seriously, he's done a great job with this one, combining a sports story with meaningful discussion of deaf culture. I loved it.
Michelle
Dec 27, 2010 Michelle marked it as to-read
Shelves: biography
story of the a season in the life of the successful gallaudet univeresity women's basketball team
Audrey
Audrey marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Holly
Holly added it
Sep 23, 2015
Alexis
Alexis marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015
Carl
Carl rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2015
Sherry
Sherry is currently reading it
Mar 09, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2015
Doug McCoy
Doug McCoy rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2015
Robert Ellington
Robert Ellington rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2015
Chellie
Chellie marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Kelsey
Kelsey rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2014
Jacob Carroll
Jacob Carroll marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Susan Hunnicutt Ennis
Susan Hunnicutt Ennis rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2014
Amber (bookstacksamber)
Amber (bookstacksamber) rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2014
Jeff Chase
Jeff Chase marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Thomas
Thomas rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2014
Chris Whittaker
Chris Whittaker rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2014
Barbara Joan
Barbara Joan rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2014
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014