Start by marking “Remnant” as Want to Read:

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  28 reviews
What would you do if you woke up one morning to find the world you took for granted was gone?

It’s a beautiful sunny day when Cass wakes up to find herself alone. It should be just a normal day – there’s a beach to enjoy with family and friends and the summer is at it’s height. Except today is not a normal day. Today there is no one around. In fact, the only living creatur
Published by The Misbehaving Mind (first published July 7th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Remnant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Remnant

Maurice by E.M. ForsterNaked by David SedarisAccessible Love Stories by Christy Leigh StewartThe Night Watch by Sarah WatersTrails of Love I Crawl by Ciaran O. Dwynvil
Best Gay & Lesbian Books
92nd out of 127 books — 57 voters
Tipping the Velvet by Sarah WatersFingersmith by Sarah WatersBella Key by Scarlet ChastainAnnie on My Mind by Nancy GardenHolding Back by Mila Kerr
Fiction Books for Lesbians
121st out of 146 books — 91 voters

More lists with this book...

Baxter Trautman
I once dubbed Kate Genet ‘the lesbian Stephen King’ then recanted the statement in favor of calling her ‘the lesbian Nancy Drew’. After reading Remnant I realize my first proclamation was premature but nonetheless accurate.

Remnant has all the elements of a good, old-fashioned horror story: the tingly ‘Oh !@#$ what’s going on’ feeling; the sickening drop when you realize what’s going on, then the subsequent wavering between hope and despair of surviving this very bad thing.

In Remnant, the very b
дshləigh вailey
2 almost 3

I was interested from the start. Cass is on holidays with her partner Hemi, waking up after a passionate night with him in the bush she finds that everyone has disappeared.

Cass has to figure out what to do and where to go while travelling with her only friend, a horse called Ezzy.

Eventually Cass finds another person and is relived to have some human company.

This is where a got a little lost. (view spoiler)
lynda  dwight
I didn't think I would like this as a first person horror novel. but once getting into it it was really good. a definet mind thinking story. What would you do if this really happened?

My take : the Gods or mother nature gets fed up with the pollution man has partaken on the land. so out of nowhere the world as we know it disappears first the people then the structures the world eats and brings back the primal lands before man polluted and contaminated it. But there are a very few human and animal
P. Industry
The author has managed to produce what might be the most aggressively New Zealand book I've read in a long time. And I love the book for it.

The sheer parochialism of the text will probably be most apparent to the non-Kiwi in the opening chapter. The North Island place names would be the first clue, and the Maori words peppering the text are the second. Untranslated, they sit mellow and snug beside the equally untranslated words of Kiwi English. Everything is placed carefully in context to ensure
This was one of the most interesting book I have ever read when it comes to the apocalypse. There wasn't some war, or zombies. . .everyone just disappeared without a trace. What an interesting concept I just kept imagining what it would be like if something like that really happened. I was hook by the end of the first chapter and couldn't put the book down until I knew what was going to happen to Cass.

You are in Cass's head the entire time following her around as she tries to cope with the fact
Kelli Jae Baeli
Rich in eloquence, authenticity, and sweeping tragic beauty...

I choose my books wisely, as I don't have near enough time to read all the books I'd like to, so I will not even waste my time with one that doesn't immediately engage my senses, my interest, my fascination. Remnant was one of those books that did all of that and more.

New Zealand author, Kate Genet is one of those writers who deserves a major publishing contract, along with an insanely generous advance and a multi-book deal. Her book
Wayne Spiceland
I’ve read all four books in Kate Genet’s Michaela & Trisha series, and loved them, because of the great characters and unusual plots, I figured it was time to dip into the well of that author’s offerings again. If nothing else, it would make a nice change from the murder mysteries and urban fantasy I usually read. So, having just finished Randye Lordon’s Say Uncle and Seanan McGuire’s Late Eclipse, it seemed the perfect time to try Genet’s Remnant, and I’m happy I made that choice.

Did I lik
Terry Baker
Cass is enjoying a vacation at the family home of her boyfriend, Hemi. One morning she wakes up alone. No Hemi, no anyone else either. This is the day Cass’s world changes forever.

As Cass realizes nothing feels right, she becomes aware that the only other living creatures around are birds and a horse that she names Ezzy. Cass is in total shock.

Eventually Cass becomes restless and her thinking is, if she survived, maybe someone else did too. So, she sets out with Ezzy in a search for other surviv
Anthony Roberts
Aug 28, 2011 Anthony Roberts rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Science fiction readers. People who enjoy stories about the natural world.
Recommended to Anthony by: Internet
'Remnant' by Kate Genet is set in New Zealand at the time of a cataclysmic event that heralds the fall of mankind. I've enjoyed books of this type before: 'Earth Abides', 'I Am Legend', 'The Stand', and more recently, Cormac McCarthy's beautiful and depressing, 'The Road.' The genre's been around as long as humanity has been telling stories; a retribution for man's hubris exacted through a supernatural upheaval. Earth will abide with or without mankind, and in Kate Genet's 'Remnant', 'man' has l ...more
Just for intensity, I gave this 5 stars!! It was good read. Could have been somewhat more cohesive, but, all in all, it was very good. Cass, the main (almost only!) character went thru many stages of shock and grieving - all while learning to survive. The story came alive and made me wonder 'what if?' many times, especially at the end.

Really enjoyed reading this one, could hardly put it down for wondering what would happen next!!! :)
I actually picked up this ebook because I read Baxter Clare’s review of it and it sounded intriguing. (link to the review: )

The story is creepy in a twilight zone kind of way. I kept waiting for Cass to either completely lose her mind or wake up and tell us it was all just some weird twisted dream.

I had a little trouble with a few terms that were used in the story, for example I had no clue that Cass was popping acetaminophen when she was talking about ne
Sarah 'henry'
It had me guessing the whole time. I thought I had it figured out but never did. Loved the very last surprise of the book, though the ending felt a tad rushed.
Also, if it annoys you when an author uses local names for places, plants, animals, etc that you aren't familiar with - this isn't the book for you... unless you're really familiar with New Zealand. I knew NONE of the places she mentioned, and a lot of the other native names for animals/plants/people etc were lost on me.

Definitely not for
Wendy Price
This was an interesting story but very dissatisfying. There are no answers, no explanations and no conclusions. It just sorta trails off. There's not even enough interest for me to be willing to try more by the author.
Alejandro Canton-Dutari
Remnant by Kate Genet
Reviewed by Alex Canton-Dutari
This fascinating book must be every Earth defender's dream, described in such a way that even humidity changes can be felt through the written words of the author.
I do not know if I would include paranormal as a genre under which the story can also be classified. Perhaps it could be.
At the end I was left asking myself. Would the dynamics that took place between the main female characters follow the same pattern had they been two males?
I am grat
Joanie Mahlum
Very good. Ended a little abruptly but I enjoyed the story.
This book would have benefitted from a proofreader as there were numerous fairly simple mistakes, ranging from typos to grammar errors to the constant use of 'reigns' (instead of 'reins') to refer to the part of the horse's bridle. Whilst it is difficult to know how one would react in such a situation, I found Cass rather too emotional and melodramatic for my liking. The book was certainly atmospheric; I'm not sure it needed the mysterious evil presence, particularly since the ending was rather ...more
Elizabeth Jane
I read this book all in one day. I couldn't stop reading! I had to know what would happen next, or how Cass would react to the next issue she faced. I feel the plot took a turn rather abruptly and strangely in the end, but I can understand where the author felt it was necessary. Really makes me yearn for a sequel! I was disappointed by the numerous grammatical and spelling errors. Made me wonder who proofread this for the author? A middle schooler? ;)
I love stories that start like this one; Cass wakes up to a world where everyone else just disappeared. Later she surmises that her New Zealand home has also lost all its non-native animals except for a horse Cass names Ezzy. A fun read. I'm not sure a story like this can have a satisfying ending and the ending to this one is abrupt and weak.
While this book isn't terrible, it's really not that great either. I found myself bored for most of the book and the ending was completely awful. What could have been the best part of the book was summed up in only a few paragraphs. The largest part of the story could have been summed up in a chapter or two. This book was a real drag.
A very enjoyable story of a young woman who wakes up one morning to find everyone else has disappeared, with the exception of millions of birds and one horse. It is a story of her struggle to survive, to find another survivor, and to discover the meaning behind The Change. It definitely kept me interested all the way through.
4 stars

-Creepy, intense plot. Even quite scary at times with the eerie presence that was lurking and watching Cass
-The ending was very strange and the plot twists were very unusual
-I hope there will be more books because I would love to see how the story could be developed
This was an interesting twist to "woke up and all the people were gone". By far, more character driven than other books I've read with the same story. This was a nice change of pace. Short, and a very quick read, but drew me along quite nicely.
Wow, this is truly different from any book I have previously read but, I enjoyed this story tremendously, it was exciting and full of adventure but really told a terrific story I recommend this book as a must read.
Laura Beth
This one was a bit odd - and the ending felt rushed....
Valerie Smith
If I heard 'I bit my lip' once I heard it countless times............ I waited for her to say it had fallen off.................
Starts out interesting, but staggers and slows mid-way through.
A fun read but pretty predictable.
Nov 11, 2013 Christine marked it as to-read
Remnant - Kate Hansen (pseudonym)
Jeanette marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Scott marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
  • 300 Miles to Galveston (Book One of the Displacement)
  • What Remains
  • Novum (Novum, #1)
  • Graves' End: A Magical Thriller
  • Starfall (Starfall, #1)
  • DMQZ
  • Year 50
  • Shetland
  • Torch Song (Blackjack, #1)
  • Extermination Day (Extermination Day, #1)
  • MoonFall (MoonFall Series Book 1)
  • Jane, Actually or Jane Austen's Book Tour
  • Gabriella, The Tale of a Misfit Fairy
  • Noah's Ark: Survivors
  • Cat's Paw (The Time Corps Chronicles, Book 2)
  • Level Zero
  • The Ming Storytellers
  • Necropolis (The Shadow Wars, #1)
Don't Go There Silent Light (Michaela & Trisha, #1) Scarcity Shadows Fall (Michaela & Trisha, #2) Psychopathia: A Horror Suspense Novel