The Tontine

The Tontine

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  240 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Tontine is a form of gambling - part lottery, part insurance. It begins with the Day the Battle of Waterloo was fought and ends at the closing of the 19th Century. Its cast includes Actors, Kings, Sailors, Artists, etc. It is filled with romance.
Published 1955 by Doubleday

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre DumasGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellAnna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
The 800+ page Gorillaz
159th out of 238 books — 321 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Godfather by Mario PuzoThe Grapes of Wrath by John SteinbeckValley of the Dolls by Jacqueline SusannIn Cold Blood by Truman Capote
Very Popular Novels of Mid-Century America
66th out of 85 books — 34 voters

More lists with this book...

Sara
My mom and my Aunt Loa really liked this story. My mom recommended it to me and I am reminded of what great taste my mom has in books! I really enjoyed these books. The books cover over a half a century of time during the 1800's starting with the day of the Battle of Waterloo. The action takes place in England. I thought that this book was absolutely fascinating. The book is follows a man of business along with the ups and downs of business in England and I found it to be completely relevant to...more
Janice
I began reading this book when I was 8 or 9 years old - too young to keep up with all the details - and returned to it off and on for literally decades. Sometimes even making index cards of family trees and such. I finally finished it the summer of 1998 sitting in the car in front of my parents' house. In fact, my sweetie almost lost his head because he sat down and started talking to me as I was finishing the last pages. A testiment to how much I love him that he is still alive today.
Given the...more
Nathalie Nelson
The first thing I learned was what a tontine was. I had never heard of such an arrangement before. The story was interesting and the characters well drawn. The threads of the story were deftly woven. There is romance, generosity, greed . . indeed the whole range of human emotions. It takes two books to tell the stories of all of the individuals involved in the tontine. This one instance when one finishes a book and wishes there was more that there is more to enjoy.
Jason Reeser
I found this obscure book when I was in eighth grade. It is as good as anything Dickens ever wrote, and I love Dickens. A lottery is set up for people who want to enter their children. When the children become older, the money (which has been invested for decades) begins to pay out, paying more each year as there are fewer surviving members of the Tontine. Love, revenge and wonderful greed ensue!
E.J. Lamprey
If you believe you will live to be very old, you invest when young in a tontine, and after 20, or 30, however many years, (the tontine period) the sum of money originally invested, plus whatever it earned during the tontine period, starts to pay dividends to the survivors, and continues to do so until the last survivor dies. They were made illegal because of the gambling laws, but I personally feel the government should set them up now so that the very oldest amongst us aren't forced into a penn...more
Nancy
I read The Tontine<\i> several years ago on the recommendation of a family member. This historical fiction story tells about the intertwining lives of the members of this tontine. As the story progresses, things become more treacherous and the true colors of people come out. This is a long two-volume story, but it was worth the time it took to read it.
Nancy
I read this book (930 pages in two volumes) years ago and I remember that I really liked it. I just reread it, and liked it as much as I remembered. A tontine was a kind of annuity/life insurance, where people could invest for themselves or a child, would receive money each year from the growth of the investment, and then would receive much more substantial amounts as the other members of the tontine died and there was more money to go around. The story follows the lives of the characters who we...more
Hannah
I read this book when I was about 12 and devoured every page. Certain parts of the story drag a bit, but that's totally understandable since it spans the entire lifetime of several characters. The story centers on people who entered a pool that starts to pay back money after a set number of years (50 seems right, but that might not be the actual number). Whoever is the last to live gets a significant amount of money, which leads to the expected but still surprising consequences of greed. It's re...more
Julie Cannon
Jan 20, 2014 Julie Cannon marked it as to-read
Mom has this on the list of the best and most memorable books she's ever read.
Nikki
I actually only read Volume 1 of this, will probably read Volume 2 at some point. I also believe I read it all many years ago. The book follows the fortunes of several people who are involved in a tontine -- a sort of "last man standing" insurance scheme -- in 19th century England. The reason I might not finish is that it appears the "winner" will be one of the most obnoxious characters in the book.
Paddy
Ok, it was high school in a small town...but Costain's novels took me out of East Tennessee, out of myself. This was my favorite, but I read each voraciously. Somehow Paul Newman ended up playing a slave in an awful, awful film of Below the Salt. Or perhaps another Costain novel. I think adolescents love fiction of another time and place, whether the past or the future.
Carol
Jun 18, 2013 Carol rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Carol by: Grandma Tess
I read this enchanting and deadly novel decades ago and loved, loved, loved it. It is about a lottery in which the last one living takes the entire pot, which leads to all sorts of betrayals and twists. I am now selling it for $50 if you are interested.
Lynli
This is such a great classic read. Throughly enjoyed reading it. Found it at a yard sale for $1.00 and thought I would give it a try. Have since purchased several Costain books. Incredible author.
Lafang
I read this when I was pretty young.
Even then I found it interesting, realistic, and the characters believable. I reacll feeling like I'd walked back in time.
Christin Marcotte
I read this many years ago and a friend just gave me a copy so I am re-reading it to enjoy it all over again. Costain is a great author.
Laurel
Read this novel over 35 years ago and read it twice more over the years - need I say more to recommend this classic.
Judy Muncie
Read these books when I was in my 20's. Reread about every decade since. Needless to say-I loved the story!
Margareth8537
Very odd sort of gamble that seems to encourage death and disaster, but a fascinating read
Thomas Walsh
If you can find vol one AND two, this is one of the best books I've ever read!! Highly recommended!
Mediocrates
The invention of insurance ... and some diabolical twists.

Great fun. Good read.
Barn Grammy

Actually bought my own copies at a library sale in Peoria, AZ.
Elijah Kinch Spector
Dec 16, 2008 Elijah Kinch Spector marked it as to-read
A two volume monster of historical fiction by Costain... drooool.
Janna
Jun 15, 2007 Janna marked it as to-read
This was recommended by a friend - looks interesting.
Kathleen Farmer
I couldn't find Volume 1 listed~ except on audio
Tom Baker
Good. overly long.
Alida
Alida is currently reading it
Apr 10, 2014
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Ruthe
Ruthe marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
  • The Foxes of Harrow (Delta Diamond Library)
  • Mercenaries (The Conquest Trilogy, #1)
  • Captain From Castile
  • The Fatal Crown
  • Death and the Chapman (Roger the chapman, #1)
  • Give Us This Day (Swann Saga, #3)
  • Rabble in Arms
  • The Building Of Jalna
  • Song at Dawn
  • Childe Roland To The Dark Tower Came (Phoenix 60p Paperbacks)
  • The Shield of Three Lions (Alix of Wanthwaite, #1)
  • The Conquest (The Bargain, #2)
  • Seer of Egypt (The King's Man, #2)
  • Gunnar's Daughter
  • Katie Mulholland.
  • Strongbow: The Story of Richard and Aoife
  • Erec and Enide
  • Csardas
Costain was born in Brantford, Ontario to John Herbert Costain and Mary Schultz. He attended high school there at the Brantford Collegiate Institute. Before graduating from high school he had written four novels, one of which was a 70,000 word romance about Maurice of Nassau, Prince of Orange. These early novels were rejected by publishers.

His first writing success came in 1902 when the Brantford...more
More about Thomas B. Costain...
The Silver Chalice The Black Rose The Last Plantagenets (The Plantagenets, #4) The Conquering Family (The Plantagenets, #1) The Three Edwards (The Plantagenets, #3)