Start by marking “Caleb's Story (Sarah, Plain and Tall #3)” as Want to Read:
Caleb's Story (Sarah, Plain and Tall #3)

Caleb's Story (Sarah, Plain and Tall #3)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  1,594 ratings  ·  120 reviews
Anna has done something terrible.
She has given me a journal to fill.

Published August 3rd 2004 by HarperTrophy (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Caleb's Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Caleb's Story

Merri Platt
This is the third book in the Sarah, Plain and Tall series. It focuses on Caleb, the son of Jacob Witting, the stepson of Sarah, the younger brother of Anna and the older brother of Cassie. It starts out with his sister, Anna, giving him a journal to write down what happens on the farm and the family while she is away from them. Anna will be close but not close enough to live on the farm. She is helping the town Doctor by being his nurse. She doesn't want to miss anything so Anna asks Caleb to k ...more
Patti
“Caleb’s Story” is the third story in the “Sarah, Plain and Tall” series. The Witting family adds a little sister, Cassie who is now about 4. Annie gives the family journal to Caleb for him to add to, as she is going off to town for school and to work for the doctor.

Little Cassie is the first to spot a strange man behind the barn. Bitter feelings and resentment arise when Jacob realizes that this stranger is his long lost father, who walked away from the family with no explanation when Jacob wa
Patricia MacLachlan always seems to be able to fill my heart with her stories. Doesn't hurt that many of her main characters have the same names as people in my family. She manages to put a whole adult-sized novel's worth of character development into simple plots with lots of "white space" for each reader to bring themselves into the family she presents in such a short read.
Anne Slater
Too long ago (within past 2 years, though) to say more than "I love Patricia MacLachlan-- if she wrote for cereal boxes, I'd read them"
Lindsay
What a great addition to the series. I really enjoyed being able to continue on the journey from Caleb's perspective, I found it enjoyable and it was neat to see things through his eyes. Caleb was by far my favourite character in Sarah Plain And Tall, when my teacher first read it to me and this book brought back the wonderful feelings of nostalgia and happiness, it was perfect! I highly recommend it to people who have read the first two books in the series.

I just love reading the Sara Plain An
Josiah
Anna, through whose eyes and emotional perspective we received the narrative in Sarah, Plain and Tall and its sequel, Skylark, is an older teenager by the time that the events in this third book take place, and lives in town apart from her family. Before she first left home, though, she gave her younger brother Caleb a blank notebook journal of his own, and told him that it was now his responsibility to write down what happened in the family, recording the significant events of their lives in p ...more
Christy
Anna has done something terrible. She has given me her journal to fill.
In Anna's journal the words walk across the page like bird prints in the mud. But it is hard for me. It is hard for me to find things to write about."It's your job now," Anna says as she hands Caleb her journals, asking him to continue writing the family story. But Sarah, Jacob, Anna, Caleb, a...moreAnna has done something terrible. She has given me her journal to fill.
In Anna's journal the words walk across the page like bir
Samantha
Caleb’s Story would be appropriate for kids in upper elementary and middle school. This chapter book is the third in the Sarah, Plain and Tall series. Their family has expanded and become a cohesive unit. The winter weather has caused some problems, but they are used to it. Anna, the oldest daughter, is staying in town to work for the doctor, her future father-in-law. Jacob, the father, is also going into town for some business and won’t return for a few days. The rest of the family is left at h ...more
Emily
I had read the first two books in the series many times as a child. However, I only read Caleb's Story once. I always thought it was too sad. I reread it now and understand everything so much more. I understand the grief Jacob was experiencing. Now, the book seems inspirational to me as love and forgiveness can overcome everything, even years of grief and feelings of betrayal.

Interesting Fact: The movie based on this book is called Winter's End. Both are good titles I think.
Kathleen
I enjoyed reading this book. It was very easy to read and there was never really a time where I got tired of reading it. I had read the previous book in the series, Sarah Plain and Tall when I was a kid, so the story's characters were somewhat familiar to me. I think the author conveyed a valuable lesson in the story: forgiveness. This is something many people struggle with and this story reminds us that life is too short to hold grudges.
Molly
In this installment of the series, Caleb narrates the story as Anna has left for school in town. Jacob and Sarah have also added to the family and Caleb now has a younger sister, Cassie. Jacob's father comes back into their lives after leaving, but he may not be ready to to forgive him.
I thought this was a lovely story about family and forgiveness. I also enjoyed seeing this family grow and develop.
Mario
I liked how Jacobs grandpa came home and how Caleb taught him how to read and wright.
The story was about when Jacobs grandpa comes home and helps out. When Sarah went out in to a storm grandpa and Caleb had to find her in a snow pile. They get her inside and save her.
I didn't like how the story just kind of stops. I also didn't like how it didn't tell if Sarah was the mother or sister.
Sharon
Anna has given me an arduous task. I,Caleb, must continue writing the story of our family life. I don't like journal writing and have no talent with words.We work on our farm--we go to school; besides nothing happens here or so I thought. Cassie and I find a strange man in our barn; John (our long-lost grandfather) joins our family. My journal writing comes to life!

"The wind howls outside, the snow and sleet hitting the windows like stones tossed there. Inside it is peaceful. But John doesn't lo
Musiquedevie
I wasn't familiar that there was a 3rd book to "Sarah, Plain & Tall." I was thrilled to find it! What a wonderful story, one that not only gives the reader an update of how the Witting family is doing but also teaches a powerful lesson of forgiveness. What a refreshing read and another beautiful work by Patricia MacLachlan.
Pinky
Anna has grown and is working with a doctor in town and Caleb has taken over as narrator in this third book in the Sarah, Plain and Tall series. Jacob's father arrives surrounded in mystery. Another solid, beautifully told story, but I miss Anna and Sarah and am not as attached to little sister Cassie.
Angela
For some reason the way Caleb acts and talks in this whole series gives me the impression that he is a little slow. Having this book be from his perspective made it less interesting because he doesn't have the insights that she does. I do like the story line, though.
Gobnait
This book was interspersed with Caleb's journal entries. I love that it showed not only his commentary on things, but also how much his writing improved as the story progressed. This short story was warm and wonderful.
What a delight it was to find this book (published in 2001) after having read and seen the Hallmark Hall of Fame versions of Sarah Plain and Tall(pub 1985) and Skylark(pub 1994) so many years ago! This one was also adapted into a film, apparently with the title "Winter's End". Seeing Christopher Walken as stoic prairie family man again after such.... uh, memorable, roles as he's had in Pulp Fiction, the Weapon of Choice video, etc., should be a treat.

Preview the book from Google Books
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Good book, sad in some moments, but also has some sweet moments too. Recommend the book as the other books, Skylark and Sarah Plain and Tall.
Maggie
Lovely continuation of the Whitting family as they are introduced to a new member who brings happiness to some and pain to others.
Cheryl
During the school year, this is where I'm at: between children's literature and educational giberish! I prefer the children's lit. Caleb's Story is a follow-up on Sarah Plain and Tall, by the same author. It is rich in figurative language and tells a warm and insightful story of a family torn apart by misunderstanding and pulled together through the hope of children. A wonderful read for any age... but I specifically gave this assignment to 4th graders. Remember, parents, as important as it is t ...more
Kate
I am constantly surprised (and pleasantly so!) just how lyrical Patricia MacLachlan's writing is. This is the third book in the 'Sarah, Plain and Tall' series, and the first two were told by Anna, Sarah's step-daughter. In this book, Anna has given the responsibility for the family's story to Caleb. Because of this, I was expecting the writing to be markedly different. While it is very clear that this is Caleb's voice (emphasis is put on things in a different way than Anna would have done), MacL ...more
Amy
Didn't love it as much as the first two, but still a nice change in narrator.
Tamara
For me personally this was the best book of the series thus far. However, for Amelia I felt a lot of the themes were a little above her head. She enjoyed the book a lot, especially the addition of Cassie!
Daryl
A sweet book. I love this series. Great for kids and I think adults also.
Sandy
"It's your job now," Anna says as she hands Caleb her journals, asking him to continue writing the family story. But Sarah, Jacob, Anna, Caleb, and their new little sister, Cassie, have already formed a family, and Caleb fears there will be nothing left to write about. That is, before Cassie discovers a mysterious old man in the barn, and everything changes. Everyone is excited about the arrival of a new family member--except for Jacob, who holds a bitter grudge. Only the special love of Caleb, ...more
Andrea
Jun 08, 2015 Andrea rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
Another excellent book in the Sarah, Plain and Tall series!
Kathryne
Jul 16, 2008 Kathryne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
Anna has moved to town to go to school and to assist the local doctor. She has passed the responsibility of recording the family’s story on to Caleb. At first Caleb feels there isn’t much to tell and doubts his own abilities to write as well as his sister. But then his little sister Cassie meets a strange man in their barn and suddenly Caleb has an interesting story to tell. Who is this strange man? Why is he here? What does he want? Why is Papa so angry with him?

This was a touching story of fo
Kendall
May 24, 2014 Kendall is currently reading it
Shelves: my-books
Read this book very good
Arielle
Jun 14, 2012 Arielle rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: grade school children
Recommended to Arielle by: the last page of Skylark
Not as good as the first two in the Sarah Plain and Tall series, but still nicely written and wonderful pacing. The tone of the story is effectively changed with the change of narrator. I usually don't like change, but I didn't miss Anna's character anywhere near as much as I thought I would. MacLachlan is wonderful at conveying who the characters are without excessive description (almost sole use of dialogue and narration). The characters are so lovable. A fairly predictable, yet, hear-warming ...more
  • The Ballad of Lucy Whipple
  • The Doll Shop Downstairs
  • The Night Journey
  • Shadow of His Hand: a Story Based on the Life of Holocaust Survivor Anita Dittman (Daughters of the Faith Series)
  • The Barn
  • Little Arliss (Old Yeller, #3)
  • The Teacher's Funeral : A Comedy in Three Parts
  • Star in the Storm
  • Mississippi Bridge
  • Treasures from Grandma (Grandma's Attic, #4)
  • American History Stories You Never Read in School but Should Have (Vol.1)
  • George Speaks
  • Molly: An American Girl : 1944 (The American Girls Collection)
  • Little Bo
  • The Birthday Room
  • All the Way Home
  • The Story of the Walnut Tree
  • Prairie Songs
Patricia MacLachlan is a bestselling U.S. children's author, best known for winning the 1986 Newbery Medal for her book Sarah, Plain and Tall.

For more information, please see http://www.answers.com/topic/patricia...
More about Patricia MacLachlan...

Sarah, Plain and Tall (5 books)
  • Sarah, Plain and Tall (Sarah, Plain and Tall, #1)
  • Skylark (Sarah, Plain and Tall #2)
  • More Perfect than the Moon (Sarah, Plain and Tall #4)
  • Grandfather's Dance (Sarah, Plain and Tall, #5)
Sarah, Plain and Tall (Sarah, Plain and Tall, #1) Skylark (Sarah, Plain and Tall #2) Waiting for the Magic All the Places to Love Kindred Souls

“... I want most of all for you to forgive Grandfather. I want you to forgive Grandfather so I can grow up and be just like you.” 7 likes