Start by marking “Skylark (Sarah, Plain and Tall #2)” as Want to Read:
Skylark (Sarah, Plain and Tall #2)

Skylark (Sarah, Plain and Tall #2)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  3,130 ratings  ·  161 reviews
My mother, Sarah,
doesn't love the prairie.
She tries, but she can't help
remembering what she knew first.

Sarah came to the prairie from Maine to marry Papa. But that summer, a drought turned the land dry and brown. Fires swept across the fields and coyotes came to the well in search of water. So Sarah took Anna and Caleb back east, where they would be safe. Papa stayed behin

Published August 3rd 2004 by HarperTrophy (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Skylark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skylark

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingThe Raven by Edgar Allan PoeMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsOne Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
Books with birds in the title
91st out of 636 books — 134 voters
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisPrincess Academy by Shannon HaleHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingI'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally Carter
Pre-teen Fantasy and Chick Lit
51st out of 78 books — 93 voters

More lists with this book...

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
This is the follow-up to Sarah, Plain and Tall. Sarah misses Maine, with the sea and the greenery. But now that she is married to Papa, she must write her name in the prairie soil and make it her home.
Kylie
October 30, 2012: I love rereading these books with Hallie. She has really enjoyed them.

May 29, 2010: I have always love this series, ever since Miss Bleazard read it to us in third grade. It's a great and very quick read. You can read the book faster than you can watch the movie. I don't know what it is about these books but I love them. They remind me of being young and make me feel at home.
Leslie
I don't know why I had never read Patricia MacLachlan's Skylark until today. I have loved Sarah, Plain and Tall, for years. There is something amazing about MacLachlan's style. This book left me feeling like I could cry from the beauty of the story and the tender style of writing. I read it in about 45 minutes and enjoyed each word.
Heather
This book is the sequel to Sarah, Plain and Tall. In this follow-up story, the Witting family experiences a terrible drought, and Sarah is forced to take Anna and Caleb to visit her family in Maine until rain comes on the prairie again. Another understated, yet beautiful historical tale for children.
Merri Platt
This is the sequel novel to Sarah, Plain and Tall. Just like in Sarah, Plain and Tall most of the action is told by Anna the daughter of Jacob and the step-daughter of Sarah Witting. The prairie has been good to the Wittings except for this summer. The prairie is going through a very dry spell. Because of this, many of the Witting's friends are having to move because there isn't enough water for them and for their animals. The Wittings are doing pretty good but the heat is starting to get to Sar ...more
Sharon
Sarah and Jacob are now married and Sarah is beautifully accepted as Caleb and Anna's mother. Their prairie life is facing a drought crisis. Clouds of dust and heat waves rise from the land. Well water is measured daily. The family stops taking baths and drinking water is rationed. Sarah takes Anna and Caleb to Maine for a visit; they swim in the ocean; the children get to know Sarah's eccentric relatives. Jacob stays behind to mind the farm. Anna describes their lives and the family separation ...more
Josiah
This sweet story, sequel to the award-winning Sarah, Plain and Tall, is written with the same spirit of plain beauty and love that marks the earlier volume. I would say, in fact, that Skylark perhaps even surpasses its predecessor in terms of quality, with a longer, more involved story (by about thirty pages) that allows the fullness of the characters to come out a little bit more. It's easier to tell a deep story in eighty-seven pages than it is to tell it in fifty-eight, and Skylark takes adv ...more
Kate
I read 'Sarah, Plain and Tall' last year, and enjoyed the simple story of a young woman and the family who falls in love with her. At that time, I did not realise that there were other books about Sarah, Jacob, Anna, and Caleb. I'm so glad I happened across the fact that this was a series.
I really liked the second book, 'Skylark'. In it, Sarah and her family are facing a severe drought that is taking over the prairie where they live. When asked if he would stay or leave if the drought worsened,
Gale
GETTING IN TOUCH WITH THE LAND

This short book (only 87 pages) is the perfect sequel to Sarah, Plain and Tall. Sarah, once a mail-order bride from Maine, now is almost integrated into family life on the harsh prairie. But prolonged drought and other natural conditions deteriorate to the extent that she takes her instant children, Anna and Caleb, on a nostalgic (for her at least) trip back East, to share her roots with them.

This story is narrated in the first person by Anna, daughter of farmer J
Patti
“Skylark”, the sequel to “Sarah, Plain and Tall” is just as wonderful as the first!

Continuing the story of Sarah and Jacob, now happily husband and wife are faced with difficult challenges on the prairie. Sarah is not only “a fish out of her beloved Atlantic seashore” but there are many new things she must learn as a prairie wife and stepmother. How different this new life is for her! With determination, Sarah is a willing participant and strives to do her best, to become part of the land that h
Kimberly Tardy

This story is narrated in the first person by Anna, daughter of farmer Jacob. But how to blend love of t
John
Skylark by Patricia MacLachlan is the sequel to the author’s award-winning Sarah, Plain and Tall, which was a favorite book and movie for me as a child. I picked up a cheap copy of the novel for my wife’s classroom library, but before she took it, I read it on a whim, just wanting to see if it had the same sort of simple lyricism as Sarah, Plain and Tall. It did.

In Skylark, Sarah and Jacob’s farm has been suffering from a prolonged drought, putting their livelihoods in danger and laying a melan
Molly
In this sequel to Sarah, Plain and Tall, Sarah and Papa have married and the family settles into life together. However, a drought threatens their life on the prairie and Sarah takes the children to her native Maine. Will the family ever get back together again?

This is a lovely book about the power of love and triumph over hardship. It is a nice continuation of the story.
Gina
Not as good as the first book in the series, Sarah, Plain and Tall. The family has just come together after Sarah has come from Maine to marry father and now they are facing a draught. They continue to worry about the farm and worry they will have to move. I guess the plotline is boring to me, as an adult. Even my daughter, who was reading this with me thought the first book in the series was better and more exciting. She also thought that the constant focus on rain got boring. 3 stars.
Aprile
This is the sequel to Sarah, Plain and Tall. I recommend reading that first. I haven't checked to see if this is the end for our characters or not, but I would read another book about them if there is one. This book takes the same easygoing tone as the first one, despite the fears that family experiences about the drought. I recommend it.
bookme4life
Many years ago a school librarian read Sarah, Plain and Tall aloud to my class. I fell in love with the story then, and it's stayed with me over the years.

Then Hallmark came out with a film version of it in the 1990s, starring Glenn Close and Christopher Walken, and I had to watch it. Later they did a sequel, Skylark, which I also enjoyed. I did not know then that Patricia MacLachlan had written more books in this series. I assumed it was like many movies, where a sequel comes out of thin air.
Pinky
"Papa married Sarah on a summer day." And so begins the sequel to Sarah, Plain and Tall. I'm surprised I haven't read this before, but the timing is right for me, now, at an age and understanding that allows me a greater appreciation. Truly beautiful. I'm going to read the whole series and savor every word.
Maggie
Sequel to Sarah, Plain & Tall. Still in the wonderful tender voice of Anna. The family suffers through a drought and Sarah and the children are sent to Maine to live while Jacob tends what's left of the farm. An excellent way to educate children on the effect of drought on the Plains farms.
Maria
Skylark is the continuation of Sarah Plain and Tall. The story begins when Sarah and Jacob married. I am glad that Mrs. MacLachlan wrote the continuation of her Newberry Medal winner because I needed to know what happened to this family in their near future. In skylark, the readers continue to learn about this new formed family of four and the harshness of living in the prairie. We learned also about how people live in an opposite environment, along the East Coast of Maine. This is a moving stor ...more
Linda Lipko
The Sequel to Newbery award winning Sarah, Plain and Tall tells the story of the early pioneers who moved out west. Moving from Maine, Sarah becomes the mother and wife to a loving family. When severe draught hits, many leave because life is not sustainable. When things get exceedingly tough, Sarah and the two children temporarily move back to Maine. Embracing Sarah's family, but missing their father and the midwest, they long to return.

When rain falls and grass begins to green, Sarah's husband
Halie
I thought the book was kind a good but when it was talking about on the prairie then it was talking about when they went to church they had to use the wagon because they did not have cars back then in the prairie and now days we use cars.
Kathryne
Jul 16, 2008 Kathryne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
This sequel to “Sarah, Plain and Tall” picks up one year later. It is summertime and severe droughts cast a dark shadow over the lives of the farmers and Sarah is especially gloomy missing the rain and greenery of her hometown in Maine. Papa lovingly sends Sarah and the children for a visit to Maine while he stays behind to take care of the farm. Anna and Caleb enjoy meeting Sarah’s family, especially her 3 unmarried Aunts (whom Sarah endearingly calls “The Unclaimed Treasures”), but as the week ...more
Angela
This book was just like the movie (or the other way around, I guess--I saw the movie first). This book is a really simple read (like 1/2 hour kind of simple), but it is a feel-good book about life on the plains during hard times.
Arielle
Jun 12, 2012 Arielle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
The School Library Journal says "MacLachlan's prose is as lyrical and graceful as ever. Packed with meaning and portent, each sentence shows the careful touch of a master." The Horn Book says, "Skylark is one sequel that is as successful as the original." I would agree. Beautifully written. Even though there is not much action--or even really a ton of story there, there is enough going on in this beautiful prose, that it makes the story interesting.

Largely emotionally based, MacLachlan does a
Hannah
I really loved this series!!! We read the first book in the series in school, and I read this and the third book the night I finished the first. It really was good! There are even movies!
Christina
Stilted and faintly self important. A disappointment after the luminous simplicity of Sarah Plain and Tall.
Tara Frye
I really loved this story as a kid. It really made you feel like You were in that time period. It has a lot of drama too.
Jennifer Spiegel
This is the sequel to SARAH, PLAIN AND TALL, and it's excellent.
Jason
May 20, 2014 Jason added it
Read this in grade school a long time ago.
Audrey Hill
I read this with my mom. It was pretty sad.
  • The Ballad of Lucy Whipple
  • A Family Apart (Orphan Train Adventures, #1)
  • Jip: His Story