Start by marking “Strong for Potatoes: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Strong for Potatoes: A Novel

Strong for Potatoes: A Novel

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  164 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Cynthia Thayer's acclaimed debut novel, Strong for Potatoes, is the resonant story of the difficult youth of Blue Willoughby, a remarkable girl growing up in eastern Maine. In a life beset by tragedy, beginning with the death of her twin sister Berry only days after their birth, Blue must discover on her own strength she needs to survive.

Blue's true ally is her grandfather
Published January 15th 1999 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Strong for Potatoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strong for Potatoes

Jade
Apr 21, 2013 Jade rated it really liked it
Because of such simple, straightforward prose, especially in the first pages, I wasn't sure I was going to like it or give it much of a good rating, as much as I did her later novel, A Certain Slant of Light. I must say though the author really does have a knack for heartfelt stories that blend just the right amount of light and melancholy. Whether one's passion is a person or a thing or a belief, the book shows how we can trust our intuitions and take care of our passions. I personally couldn' ...more
Judith
Aug 17, 2013 Judith rated it liked it
Curious story about a young woman, Blue, living in Maine, who is part Passamaquoddy. She endures an accident when young that leaves her partly disabled. She suffers some small amount of curiosity and prejudice from other children because of her disability, but finds that prejudice is much stronger when she reveals her Native American heritage.

While still a girl, she frequently stays with her grandfather on the reservation. It is here that she meets an elderly basketmaker who shows her her craft,
True
Feb 22, 2010 True rated it it was amazing
I was only going to give this book 4 stars because it took me several tries to finish it - which is much more about me as a reader than it is about the book... but I read the second "half" in one sitting yesterday, and... well, it made me cry.

My heritage is from the State o' Maine, I know a little something about northeast ash-splint baskets and basketmaking families... everything rang true. I liked that. I expected it to have a minor fluffy detail here and there, but the author seems to know he
Tina
May 05, 2012 Tina rated it really liked it
Starts deceptively innocent. An easy read, almost as if written for a youth market. Content becomes disturbing and draws the reader in a voyeuristic journey in which happy endings are elusive. I wondered how to read the title - it fact, it was the title that drew me to the book.

The main character (in first person narrative) endures many hardships as we follow her from youth to independence. Growing up in Maine among potatoes and Penobscots, our narrator spends a summer learning to make baskets
Jodee Clark
Nov 18, 2010 Jodee Clark rated it liked it
This book was an easy read for me. I would not recommend it for any one who will be offended by same sex relations and described sex scenes. If you can get past that this is a wonderful story about survival, love and make the most of ones lifes and the trajedies that are thrown at you.

Blue was a likeable and resilient character. By the end she had really learned how to control her own destiny. The symbolism in the baskets was a great comparison for life.

Cherie In the Dooryard
I should not have liked this book as much as I did, given that it comes from the "let's make a lot of horrible things happen to a passive person and call it 'growth'" genre. And it has cross-over with the "everyone is sympathetic except for the cold mother, she's just awful" genre--another plot device I have no interest in. And yet, I still am glad I read it and would recommend it.
Regina
Oct 04, 2012 Regina rated it liked it

I didn't love this book but didn't not like it. Loved the relationship between Blue & grandpa. He was my favorite character. What a wonderful way to leave this world. Obviously her parents were awful. Brian, too, was quite loveable.
Melissa
Jun 23, 2010 Melissa rated it it was ok
This book is an easy read and well-enough written. The plot is fairly predictable. A Native American woman is born a twin, but her sister does not survive past birth. The story is essentially about the effect of this event on her family.
Jonna
Mar 07, 2013 Jonna rated it it was amazing
OK, I have to be honest, the title made me pull it off the bookshelf. But once I read the flap and saw what it was about, I knew it was right up my alley - especially with the Native American connection. A really good read!
Barb
Jun 07, 2009 Barb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved everything about this book. Sometimes I don't like Maine books because they don't seem real. Both Cynthia Thayer books I have read have been the opposite--wonderful story, characters and setting.
Lindsay Nichols
A big thanks to the Goodreads person who suggested this book to me...I have forgotten your name, but the book was great!

I loved the way the story unfolded...like flipping through old photos.
Carol Eshaghy
Sep 24, 2013 Carol Eshaghy rated it liked it
Story of a part Indian girl who is mentored in life by her Indian grandfather. I would add an extra 1/2 star.
Lynne Swadel
Aug 24, 2008 Lynne Swadel rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Lynne by: Found it on Rhoda's shelves
Wonderful picture of rural Maine Passamoquoddy life as well as a character study. Well written and poignant
Sally
Dec 09, 2009 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Maine story by a Maine author. Quick read.
Exactingnemesis
Ho hum...a good summer read
Nancy
Aug 18, 2012 Nancy rated it it was amazing

Empowering
M
M rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Margaret Roy
Margaret Roy rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Savannah Zapcic
Savannah Zapcic marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Shane
Shane added it
Mar 19, 2016
Lisa Magnusson
Lisa Magnusson marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Jan Cray
Jan Cray marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Wendy
Wendy rated it it was ok
Mar 02, 2016
Florafox
Florafox marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Grace LaPlante
Grace LaPlante rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2016
Regina
Regina marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
  • Equivocal Death
  • Then and Now
  • Belladonna: A Novel of Revenge
  • High Tide at Noon (Tide Trilogy, #1)
  • The Heart of the Hunter: Customs and Myths of the African Bushman
  • Windchill Summer
  • Modern Ranch Living
  • Freaks of the Storm: From Flying Cows to Stealing Thunder: The World's Strangest True Weather Stories
  • My Little Pony: Micro-Series: #3: Rarity
  • Places to Look for a Mother: A Novel
  • Discount: A Novel
  • Global Girlfriends: How One Mom Made It Her Business to Help Women in Poverty Worldwide
  • Thanksgiving
  • Sweet as Cane, Salty as Tears
  • The Clarinet Polka
  • Dragon's Teeth (Stonefort, #2)
  • Brother
  • My Second Death
206898
Cynthia Underwood Thayer was born in New York City in 1944, raised in Nova Scotia and migrated to Maine via Massachusetts in 1976 to farm organically. For many years she was a weaver, showing her work throughout Maine and the east coast. Seventeen years ago, at the age of 50, she wrote her first short story, which was published in the Antigonish Review, and was hooked on writing.

She earned her BA
More about Cynthia Thayer...