Traction Man and the Beach Odyssey

Traction Man and the Beach Odyssey (Traction Man)

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  185 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Traction Man and Scrubbing Brush are at the beach! Traction Man even has his special Squid-Proof Scuba Suit, perfect for exploring the secret crevices of the Rockpool. But there are adventures in store for our intrepid hero as he faces the thrills of Operation Picnic, the tribulation of being buried in sand and - worst of all - being washed away by a giant wave...

Join the...more
Published July 1st 2011 by Jonathan Cape

To ask other readers questions about Traction Man and the Beach Odyssey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Traction Man and the Beach Odyssey

Kathryn
I really enjoyed the first Traction Man adventure so I was very exited to see his newest adventure story on display at the library today--especially since I love the beach. Here, Traction Man and his sidekick Scrubbing Brush venture to the beach. When they are unexpectedly swept out to sea, they are rescued by a little girl and taken to stay in a sandcastle with Beachtime Brenda dolls--a fate worse than being swept out to sea, or an opportunity to make some new friends?

This is a zany, slightly j...more
Rebecca
Traction Man and the Beach Odyssey
‘Traction man’ and his companion ‘scrubbing brush’ are set to have an adventure on holiday at the beach. They intend to explore waters and find creatures that they want to befriend. This is all put into jeopardy when they are swept away at sea and kidnapped and there only hope is to be discovered by the unruly family pet. The illustrations are strong and dominant of the pages, however the text is aimed at the older primary school ages. The layout would also sugg...more
Dolly
Jun 26, 2012 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is the third book in the Traction Man series by Mini Grey. It's a fun continuation of the story, with a fun trip to the seashore.

I love that scrubbing brush is still a major part of the story and that toys that are made or repurposed from other things can be just as loved (or more so) than store-bought toys. It's a fun story, with plenty of excitement and fun illustrations. We really enjoyed reading this story together and we hope to see more stories in this series in the future.

Amy
My niece, nephew, and I usually find these Traction Man books to be pretty entertaining, but this one didn't really do it for any of us. There didn't really seem to be a set "mission" or adventure going on--it was really more a series of unfortunate events.

My nephew barely even looked at this book (he was multi-tasking by thumbing through The Astonishing Secret of Awesome Man, which was apparently more gripping than Traction Man), and my niece didn't even crack a smile (although, she's currentl...more
Melissa
You know, I really love Traction Man. I love the dry tone of the text: "Traction Man is wearing quite a lot of seaweed." I love the secret-life-of-toys theme and the model of organic imaginative play.

But the books do have an all-boy vibe, and I have to admit that the endpapers showing all of Beach-Time Brenda's accessories, and Traction Man's appearance at the dolls' castle ("wearing seaweed hair and beard, a shell hat, a light dusting of sand and a floral sarong") set me up to expect some pret...more
Jim Erekson
I probably should have read the first installment in this series before this one. I spent the whole time wondering why he was called "traction" man.

I shelved this as a graphic novel, because there's a lot here that draws on the comics.

I looked for a long time at the end sheets before starting, and it really immersed me in the pop-culture advertised toys world. I enjoy the idea that the story starts from Traction Man's point of view instead of the boy's. This makes the imagined world more in th...more
Rayhana
Book Review 1: Traction man and the beach odyssey by Mini Grey

This is the third series of Traction Mans adventures. He is a superhero who has a Scrubbing Brush as his loyal sidekick. In this book Traction Man and his sidekick go on holiday to the beach. They start off their adventure underwater where they explore the Wide Ocean looking to befriend new creatures. However Traction Man is called on duty when a new member of the family- Truffles (nannies dog) starts attacking the picnic. Traction Ma...more
Romelle
This book is full of childlike imagination with characters that children will adore. In Traction Man and the Beach, a boy loses his toy and brush during a visit to the beach. The action figure (Traction Man) and a scrubbing brush (his loyal pet) get swept up in a sea of adventure, and this is where the story begins. The story is full of dialogue set up like speech bubbles. Mini Grey successfully captures the wild imagination of a child with dialogue and action that is genuine. The illustrations...more
Tasha
Traction Man and his faithful sidekick Scrubbing Brush are on the way to the beach. There they explore the depths of the Rockpool to discover what creature live beneath the calm surface. They are then called upon to guard the picnic from any intruders. Unfortunately, Truffles the dog decided to bury Traction Man. Happily Scrubbing Brush was there to dig him free. But just as they are feeling safe, a wave comes and sweeps both of them out into the ocean. When they resurface, they have been discov...more
Fjóla
Very inconsequential, just like the rest of the series, but I was pleasantly surprised not to encounter more sexism when the ultra maco Traction Man runs into Beach-Time Brenda and her friend. I might prefer the original Traction Man Is Here!, but overall I enjoyed it.
Lu Benke
Oh, man, this one's a keeper! My fondest memories of our kids on our camping vacations were their adventures with their action figures and dolls as they crouched near a tiny rill that ran through our campsite. They spent hours and hours of creative imaginative play using the surrounding sticks, rocks, bugs, and, yes, trash. This book captures the essence of that fun and is hilarious to boot. The illustrations are just right. They include layer upon layer of fun, drama, humor, and action yet they...more
Jessica
I thought this story was disjointed and made no sense. My kids lost interest very quickly and I was confused. I've heard that other Traction Man adventures are better so maybe we'll try another one sometime but this one didn't work for us.
Melanie
In this third installment of the Traction Man series, Traction Man and Scrubbing Brush are taken to the beach. While they are exploring the tide pools they are pulled out into the ocean. Eventually they are washed up on shore and rescued by a girl who makes them part of her dolls' sandcastle. But when Truffles the dog discovers them the sandcastle begins to quake and crumble!

No fear! Traction Man is near! Traction Man saves the dollies from destruction and all help in the building of a new castl...more
Stephanie Sapp
Maybe I should have read the first one first or paid more attention to the pictures. I was completely lost with the story.
Amanda
At first glance, this book seems to be another superhero book, until you realize that it is a toy come to life. Told from the viewpoint of the "Traction Man" toy, readers are taken on a vacation to the beach, complete with scuba diving, sand castle building, and picnics. The story is imaginative with a dry enough wit that even adults will enjoy the story. Illustrations are a mix of comic style and regular full page picture book style, this was a little busy for my taste, but kids will love it! T...more
Linda Robinson
What an adventure! This is genius storytelling. The art will provide continuous entertainment to a youngster reading alone, and has huge potential for playing on the floor with a child. When I find a book I want to share, I'll usually get two - one for the child and one for parents to put away for safekeeping. This is a two book acquisition. Witty, busy, visually stimulating, encourages creative thinking and play. Mini Grey clearly understands that early readers are clever and inquisitive. Wonde...more
Read  Ribbet
I love the work of Mini grey especially her retold fairy tales and nursery rhymes. Traction man and the Beach odyssey is the third book featuring Traction man. Like in Toy Story, you follow the adventure of the action hero when his owner takes him on a beach vacation. Events cause traction Man to get separated from his owner and recovered by someone else. In new hands he becomes friendly with Beach Time Brenda.The end pages revealing more information about Brenda are fun.
Marika
Traction Man is back in an all-new, partially underwater adventure. Of course the faithful Scrubbing Brush is ready for adventure, too, as the entire family heads to the beach. But when Traction Man and Scrubbing Brush find themselves lost at sea and then picked up by a stranger, will they ever get back to their boy? This hilarious sequel co-stars Beach-
Time Brenda and is a rollicking boos for boys, girls, action men, fashion dolls, and scrubbing brushes.
Lady Lioness
From the Stars so Far list.

I cannot decide if I am simply too old and female to enjoy this or if there is indeed a problem with the narration. At times, I thought Traction Man's owner was spinning the tale, but then the point of view would jump and it seemed Traction Man was telling his own story.

This wouldn't be a good candidate for a story-time and I think it would appeal mainly to young boys with an appreciation for the absurd.
Beverly
Traction Man is back and better than ever! This time he meets up with Beach Time Brenda for an adventure. Inside the front cover, there is a display of Beach Time Brenda and all the items that she comes with. At the bottom, this is written, which made me laugh: "Excessively packaged in high-polyrolypropelene non-recyclable indestructible plastic." Many, many kudos to Mini Grey and her fantastic imagination!
Marcie
Oct 10, 2012 Marcie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Marcie by: Woodbury new books
Somehow I had not read Traction Man is Here or if I did, it didn't seem as much fun as this one. It would be great to read with beginning readers who have loved the Toy Story movies. There's a lot in here for adults and older kids as well. Illustrations are very British, so I'm sure I missed a lot of the humor. I love to add this to my list of great Toy stories.
Claudia  Fett
Traction Man and his loyal pet, Scrubbing Brush are back in the third book of a very funny series. This time the duo is headed to the beach for a "fun" vacation. Little do they know, the duo will face a huge dog, ocean waves, and the humiliation of wild vacation attire. This is a welcome addition to the series. Children in grades K-2 will greatly enjoy it.
Cindy
I love Traction Man....and any book by Mini Grey. Wen Traction Man gets in trouble those Beach Dollies are not as helpless as he might first think! Don't miss the humor in the end flaps on this one! Check out my full review at our Bookends Blog: http://bookends.booklistonline.com/20...
Mary
Traction Man and his loyal pet, Scrubbing Brush, have adventures at the beach including swimming with the fishes, floating out to sea, and meeting chicks (okay, so the chicks are actually Barbie Doll wannabes). This is a cute and humorous books with lots of fun illustrations.
Brenda Kahn
Traction Man is back in a third installment, this time on a family outing at the beach. Hooray for Traction Man and Scrubbing Brush! Love me a good adventure. I fondly remember getting my ham out when I read the first adventure to my students in K - 2. Such fun!
Shelli
Another adventure from Traction Man and his sidekick Scrubbing Brush. In this one they are exploring tide pools at the beach, safe and fun right? Never! Danger lurks around each blade of sea weed and both hero's need to keep their eyes open at all times.
Jeanne
Fun and weird little adventure book. It tells the tale of Traction Man and Scrub Brush, a little boy's toy, going to the beach, getting washed out to see, being rescued and meeting some new friends.

I like how the boy and girl play together at the end.
Tracie
Traction Man--a can-do action toy--and his faithful companion, Scrubbing Brush, have adventures at the beach.

I love the Traction Man stories, but the business of the illustrations make it a little hard to follow the text in this one.
Wendy Garland
Traction Man and Scrubbing Brush go to the beach and get separated from their owner, thanks to the family dog. A funny little story and busy illustrations make this one hard to follow at times.
Sharon Lawler
Traction Man and Scrubbing Brush vacation at the beach where they partake in scuba diving, a picnic, and sand castle adventures with new friends.
  • Those Darn Squirrels Fly South
  • Jimmy the Greatest!
  • East Dragon, West Dragon
  • Another Brother
  • The Hero of Little Street
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
  • Bear Despair
  • Oh No, George!
  • Beep and Bah
  • The Queen of France
  • Laundry Day
  • Naamah and the Ark at Night
  • A Perfect Day
Traction Man Is Here! Three by the Sea Traction Man Meets Turbo Dog The Adventures of the Dish and the Spoon Toys in Space