Start by marking “Traction Man and the Beach Odyssey” as Want to Read:
Traction Man and the Beach Odyssey

Traction Man and the Beach Odyssey (Traction Man)

3.40  ·  Rating Details  ·  253 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
Traction Man and Scrubbing Brush are at the beach! Traction Man even has his special Squid-Proof Scuba Suit, perfect for exploring the secret crevices of the Rockpool. But there are adventures in store for our intrepid hero as he faces the thrills of Operation Picnic, the tribulation of being buried in sand and - worst of all - being washed away by a giant wave...

Join the
Published July 1st 2011 by Jonathan Cape

To ask other readers questions about Traction Man and the Beach Odyssey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Traction Man and the Beach Odyssey

Kathryn
Jan 04, 2013 Kathryn rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the first Traction Man adventure so I was very exited to see his newest adventure story on display at the library today--especially since I love the beach. Here, Traction Man and his sidekick Scrubbing Brush venture to the beach. When they are unexpectedly swept out to sea, they are rescued by a little girl and taken to stay in a sandcastle with Beachtime Brenda dolls--a fate worse than being swept out to sea, or an opportunity to make some new friends?

This is a zany, slightly j
Rebecca
Sep 29, 2013 Rebecca rated it liked it
Traction Man and the Beach Odyssey
‘Traction man’ and his companion ‘scrubbing brush’ are set to have an adventure on holiday at the beach. They intend to explore waters and find creatures that they want to befriend. This is all put into jeopardy when they are swept away at sea and kidnapped and there only hope is to be discovered by the unruly family pet. The illustrations are strong and dominant of the pages, however the text is aimed at the older primary school ages. The layout would also sugg
Dolly
Jun 26, 2012 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is the third book in the Traction Man series by Mini Grey. It's a fun continuation of the story, with a fun trip to the seashore.

I love that scrubbing brush is still a major part of the story and that toys that are made or repurposed from other things can be just as loved (or more so) than store-bought toys. It's a fun story, with plenty of excitement and fun illustrations. We really enjoyed reading this story together and we hope to see more stories in this series in the future.

Amy
Dec 03, 2012 Amy rated it it was ok
My niece, nephew, and I usually find these Traction Man books to be pretty entertaining, but this one didn't really do it for any of us. There didn't really seem to be a set "mission" or adventure going on--it was really more a series of unfortunate events.

My nephew barely even looked at this book (he was multi-tasking by thumbing through The Astonishing Secret of Awesome Man, which was apparently more gripping than Traction Man), and my niece didn't even crack a smile (although, she's currentl
Melissa
You know, I really love Traction Man. I love the dry tone of the text: "Traction Man is wearing quite a lot of seaweed." I love the secret-life-of-toys theme and the model of organic imaginative play.

But the books do have an all-boy vibe, and I have to admit that the endpapers showing all of Beach-Time Brenda's accessories, and Traction Man's appearance at the dolls' castle ("wearing seaweed hair and beard, a shell hat, a light dusting of sand and a floral sarong") set me up to expect some pret
South Country Library Children's Department
My daughter and I love the imagination, humor and details in the Traction Man books. We have checked them out of the library so often that I decided all 3 need to be in our permanent home collection. It's a hard call, but this one may be my favorite because she introduces a female who becomes a friend. Also, the fashion dolls don't need to just be rescued, as in the previous books, but they take an active part.

We hope Mini Grey will continue to write and illustrate many more books.
Jim Erekson
Apr 07, 2013 Jim Erekson rated it liked it
I probably should have read the first installment in this series before this one. I spent the whole time wondering why he was called "traction" man.

I shelved this as a graphic novel, because there's a lot here that draws on the comics.

I looked for a long time at the end sheets before starting, and it really immersed me in the pop-culture advertised toys world. I enjoy the idea that the story starts from Traction Man's point of view instead of the boy's. This makes the imagined world more in th
Rayhana
Sep 07, 2014 Rayhana rated it really liked it
Book Review 1: Traction man and the beach odyssey by Mini Grey

This is the third series of Traction Mans adventures. He is a superhero who has a Scrubbing Brush as his loyal sidekick. In this book Traction Man and his sidekick go on holiday to the beach. They start off their adventure underwater where they explore the Wide Ocean looking to befriend new creatures. However Traction Man is called on duty when a new member of the family- Truffles (nannies dog) starts attacking the picnic. Traction Ma
Linda Robinson
Sep 10, 2012 Linda Robinson rated it it was amazing
What an adventure! This is genius storytelling. The art will provide continuous entertainment to a youngster reading alone, and has huge potential for playing on the floor with a child. When I find a book I want to share, I'll usually get two - one for the child and one for parents to put away for safekeeping. This is a two book acquisition. Witty, busy, visually stimulating, encourages creative thinking and play. Mini Grey clearly understands that early readers are clever and inquisitive. Wonde ...more
Mary
Jun 19, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
Traction Man and his loyal pet, Scrubbing Brush, have adventures at the beach including swimming with the fishes, floating out to sea, and meeting chicks (okay, so the chicks are actually Barbie Doll wannabes). This is a cute and humorous books with lots of fun illustrations.
Romelle
Jul 29, 2012 Romelle rated it it was ok
This book is full of childlike imagination with characters that children will adore. In Traction Man and the Beach, a boy loses his toy and brush during a visit to the beach. The action figure (Traction Man) and a scrubbing brush (his loyal pet) get swept up in a sea of adventure, and this is where the story begins. The story is full of dialogue set up like speech bubbles. Mini Grey successfully captures the wild imagination of a child with dialogue and action that is genuine. The illustrations ...more
Tasha
May 30, 2012 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Traction Man and his faithful sidekick Scrubbing Brush are on the way to the beach. There they explore the depths of the Rockpool to discover what creature live beneath the calm surface. They are then called upon to guard the picnic from any intruders. Unfortunately, Truffles the dog decided to bury Traction Man. Happily Scrubbing Brush was there to dig him free. But just as they are feeling safe, a wave comes and sweeps both of them out into the ocean. When they resurface, they have been discov ...more
Fjóla
Very inconsequential, just like the rest of the series, but I was pleasantly surprised not to encounter more sexism when the ultra maco Traction Man runs into Beach-Time Brenda and her friend. I might prefer the original Traction Man Is Here!, but overall I enjoyed it.
Lu Benke
May 15, 2013 Lu Benke rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funny
Oh, man, this one's a keeper! My fondest memories of our kids on our camping vacations were their adventures with their action figures and dolls as they crouched near a tiny rill that ran through our campsite. They spent hours and hours of creative imaginative play using the surrounding sticks, rocks, bugs, and, yes, trash. This book captures the essence of that fun and is hilarious to boot. The illustrations are just right. They include layer upon layer of fun, drama, humor, and action yet they ...more
Erin
Aug 17, 2015 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An exciting adventure for Traction Man and Scrubbing Brush (a boy's toys). A wave carries them out to sea (away from their boy), and they get washed up in a cave. They are captured and brought to a sandcastle made for girl toys. The boy eventually finds him and Traction Man plays nicely with the girl's toys.

Okay for preschool storytimes, but better for one-on-one reading.
Taryn
Mar 06, 2016 Taryn rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, storybook
My middle daughter (almost-5) would give this five stars. Oh, she loves it. She loves actual Barbie dolls, so a story about Barbie-like dolls really captured her imagination. It's taken me a long time to get her to understand that the doll "advertised" in the front pages is not real but a drawing by the author.
Jack
Oct 28, 2015 Jack rated it liked it
Shelves: k-g-4
How to describe this? Comic book style characters battle toys marketers for truth and justice and the friendship of dogs?

Mini Grey's books are fun to read and look at. They are difficult to categorize but not to enjoy.

Age Range: 5 - 8 years
Grade Level: Kindergarten - 3
Lexile Measure: 770L
Jessica
I thought this story was disjointed and made no sense. My kids lost interest very quickly and I was confused. I've heard that other Traction Man adventures are better so maybe we'll try another one sometime but this one didn't work for us.
Melanie
In this third installment of the Traction Man series, Traction Man and Scrubbing Brush are taken to the beach. While they are exploring the tide pools they are pulled out into the ocean. Eventually they are washed up on shore and rescued by a girl who makes them part of her dolls' sandcastle. But when Truffles the dog discovers them the sandcastle begins to quake and crumble!

No fear! Traction Man is near! Traction Man saves the dollies from destruction and all help in the building of a new castl
Hillary Esquivel
Fun book series

This was a fun series to read with the little ones. They really enjoyed the adventures of Traction Man and Scrubbing Brush.
Stephanie Sapp
Apr 12, 2014 Stephanie Sapp rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Maybe I should have read the first one first or paid more attention to the pictures. I was completely lost with the story.
Annie Oosterwyk
Jul 08, 2015 Annie Oosterwyk rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-advertising
Lovely. I would use these to introduce advertising to middle or high school students.
Amy Rachuba
Dec 22, 2014 Amy Rachuba rated it liked it
Another installment of Traction Man, dished out in a comic book style adventure.
Amanda
Dec 12, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
At first glance, this book seems to be another superhero book, until you realize that it is a toy come to life. Told from the viewpoint of the "Traction Man" toy, readers are taken on a vacation to the beach, complete with scuba diving, sand castle building, and picnics. The story is imaginative with a dry enough wit that even adults will enjoy the story. Illustrations are a mix of comic style and regular full page picture book style, this was a little busy for my taste, but kids will love it! T ...more
Cosette
I LOVE Scrubbing Brush!
Read  Ribbet
May 20, 2012 Read Ribbet rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love the work of Mini grey especially her retold fairy tales and nursery rhymes. Traction man and the Beach odyssey is the third book featuring Traction man. Like in Toy Story, you follow the adventure of the action hero when his owner takes him on a beach vacation. Events cause traction Man to get separated from his owner and recovered by someone else. In new hands he becomes friendly with Beach Time Brenda.The end pages revealing more information about Brenda are fun.
Marika
Jan 05, 2013 Marika rated it really liked it
Traction Man is back in an all-new, partially underwater adventure. Of course the faithful Scrubbing Brush is ready for adventure, too, as the entire family heads to the beach. But when Traction Man and Scrubbing Brush find themselves lost at sea and then picked up by a stranger, will they ever get back to their boy? This hilarious sequel co-stars Beach-
Time Brenda and is a rollicking boos for boys, girls, action men, fashion dolls, and scrubbing brushes.
Lady Lioness
From the Stars so Far list.

I cannot decide if I am simply too old and female to enjoy this or if there is indeed a problem with the narration. At times, I thought Traction Man's owner was spinning the tale, but then the point of view would jump and it seemed Traction Man was telling his own story.

This wouldn't be a good candidate for a story-time and I think it would appeal mainly to young boys with an appreciation for the absurd.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Jimmy the Greatest!
  • East Dragon, West Dragon
  • Those Darn Squirrels Fly South
  • Homer
  • Heroes of the Surf
  • Laundry Day
  • Auntie Claus and the Key to Christmas
  • Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten!
  • Dreaming Up: A Celebration of Building