Start by marking “Work Matters: Connecting Sunday Worship to Monday Work” as Want to Read:
Work Matters: Connecting Sunday Worship to Monday Work

Work Matters: Connecting Sunday Worship to Monday Work

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  111 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Work. For some this word represents drudgery and the mundane. For others work is an idol to be served. If you find yourself anywhere on the spectrum from workaholic to weekend warrior, it's time to bridge the gap between Sunday worship and Monday work.

Striking a balance between theological depth and practical counsel, Tom Nelson outlines God's purposes for work in a way th
Published October 5th 2011 by Crossway Books (first published October 3rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Work Matters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Work Matters

Steve Watson
May 18, 2015 Steve Watson rated it liked it
I met Tom Nelson in Kansas recently, and he seems like a super-nice guy and gifted pastor who's done great work in his church's context on faith/work integration. His book has some cool stuff too - vignettes from real-life working people after each chapter, and a picture of doing church and life as a pastor that's real and relevant to most of the people in the church. Much of the book isn't a great cultural fit for me or for my context, but I appreciate his model in being insistent that work mat ...more
Laurie Reyes
Jun 07, 2013 Laurie Reyes rated it really liked it
This was a really practical book about work. The author reminds and proves that all work is sacred, not just ministry work. As I read it I kept thinking of my boys and hope to have them read it as well. The last few chapters of the book were less helpful for me than the first half of the book.
Steve
Dec 29, 2011 Steve rated it it was amazing
There is a tendency for Christianity in some circles to be a leisure activity. We are encouraged to pray, evangelise, worship, study our Bibles in our spare time. Sadly, the 40 hours per week, for forty or so years don't seem to matter - or at least if you looked at the content of most Sunday sermons from the pulpit. It has long been my contention that pastors should every seven years or so take a sabbatical and work in an office, educational establishment, retail outlet or such like. This will ...more
Jenn
Aug 24, 2012 Jenn added it
Nate LaClaire
Nov 20, 2011 Nate LaClaire rated it it was amazing
In Work Matters: Connecting Sunday Worship to Monday Work, pastor Tom Nelson offers a new perspective on work, providing a look at God’s purposes for work in a way that is both practical and theologically based. He helps readers to make the most of their God-given vocations and to treat their work as God intended, as acts of worship.

I really enjoyed this book and was truly blessed by it. Nelson gives a look at this important topic that is both refreshing and convicting. He is not afraid to debun
George Paul
Jan 29, 2013 George Paul rated it it was amazing
Tom Nelson, Work Matters: Connecting Sunday Worship to Monday Work (Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2011). $15.99, 224 pages.

In the late 1990s, I took a two-year hiatus from pastoral ministry to work in corporate America. My experience there shaped the way I think about Christian vocation. It taught me that the pastoral vocation was but one of many Christian vocations. Its purpose was to help people respond to both their primary vocation (faith in Jesus Christ for salvation) and their secondary vocation
Malin Friess
Feb 12, 2014 Malin Friess rated it liked it
Many of us spend the majority of our waking moments at our place of work. If this is the case: work must matter to God. How do we connect our faith and our jobs without compromising either?

Tom Nelson was invited to preach at our church last summer and give a brief conference on this topic. I think the old paradigm was that evangelism (starting prayer groups or Bible Studies) at work was the best way to be faithful. This may be ineffective or inappropriate in many work situations.

The new paradigm
Laura Lynch
Jan 10, 2016 Laura Lynch rated it liked it
I've read this book three times as our church went through this as a Sunday school class and the Faith and vocation undergraduate seminar tracks at the Christian Study Center use this for their resource reading for the students. Great basic practical guide for developing an"robust theology of vocation"
Josh L
Apr 10, 2012 Josh L rated it really liked it
You can find my full review at Quieted Waters.

The majority of your waking life will be spent at your job. That’s astounding, when you stop to think about it. If you’re like most Americans, you will work more than eight hours a day, every weekday.

Tom Nelson wrote this book with that context in mind. He opens the book saying, “As a pastor, I regret that I have often given minority attention to what most of us do the majority of our time.” Nelson was convicted of how few of his sermons assisted his
Becky Pliego
My favorite chapter was Work Now and Later. And this is because it is not that often that you find a book chapter that addresses the importance of our work life with an optimistic eschatological view.

David
Too many Christians live divided lives, separating Sunday worship from the work they do the rest of the week. This book, directed at just those Christians, seeks to connect the two. Nelson does this by talking on vocation, the idea that all Christians are called to serve in a particular place in the world, for the common good and purpose of God. This book manages to give biblical teaching in an easy-to-read manner. Nelson draws on the breadth of scripture, from creation to new creation. In doing ...more
Don
Jul 15, 2015 Don rated it really liked it
Good treatment of a super-important topic.
Joaquin Hernandez
recomendado por TGC

If you're new to the faith and work conversation, this is a great place to start. Nelson builds on the biblical narrative of creation and the imago Dei to show why work is central to Christian life. He also gets bonus points in my book for pointing to specific ways pastors can make space for this critically important topic in the life of the local church.
Vincent Rivas-Flores
A book based on a one-hour sermon. The problem is a book covers more ground than a sermon, so it goes off topic more than once. Feels like potpourri at times.
Tyler Hurst
Aug 28, 2013 Tyler Hurst rated it really liked it
If I had to recommend one book on work this wouldn't be it. It would be Tim Keller's Every Good Endeavor, but Nelson's text is still very helpful, well thought out, as well as being accessible (some may find Keller's text a bit long). Keller's book, however, is more theological, thorough, better organized, and intellectually pleasing (since he draws on a lot of culture).
Don Gale
Jan 31, 2014 Don Gale rated it it was amazing
Great book on work and vocation. Covers a lot of ground and does it well.
Libby
Jan 01, 2013 Libby rated it it was amazing
This is the book I wanted to read 25 years ago when I first started in my career and was developing my own theology of work. I read this from the library and still plan to get my own copy to mark up and to share. Highly recommended!
Bob Robinson
Jun 20, 2014 Bob Robinson rated it really liked it
A very good introduction of the biblical conception of work, vocation, and calling. I will be recommending this book to a number of people who are trying to integrate their faith with their work.
Logan Almy
Nov 13, 2013 Logan Almy rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent resource and would be great as a small group study to impart a biblical view of our earthly vocations and work. God cares about hard work well done.
Joe
Jan 12, 2016 Joe rated it liked it
Shelves: christian, life, work
Very good book that helps with how work is effected by being a Christian and connecting Sunday "worship" to Monday.

Really fundamental stuff.
Jay Halley
Aug 01, 2013 Jay Halley rated it it was amazing
Highly practical and readable. Every church leader should read and convey principles to their congregation.
D Thomas
D Thomas rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2016
Hugh
Hugh marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Emily Nealy
Emily Nealy rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Christa Gould
Christa Gould marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Jason L Bailey
Jason L Bailey rated it did not like it
Benjamin
Benjamin marked it as to-read
Scott Vickers
Scott Vickers marked it as to-read
Matthew Richardson
Matthew Richardson marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
  • Kingdom Calling: Vocational Stewardship for the Common Good
  • Jesus the Son of God: A Christological Title Often Overlooked, Sometimes Misunderstood, and Currently Disputed
  • Dynamics of Spiritual Life
  • Becoming Worldly Saints: Can You Serve Jesus and Still Enjoy Your Life?
  • God at Work: Your Christian Vocation in All of Life
  • The Joy of Calvinism: Knowing God's Personal, Unconditional, Irresistible, Unbreakable Love
  • God in the Wasteland: The Reality of Truth in a World of Fading Dreams
  • An Infinite Journey: Growing Toward Christlikeness
  • Faithmapping: A Gospel Atlas for Your Spiritual Journey
  • God and the Gay Christian?: A Response to Matthew Vines
  • God Dwells Among Us: Expanding Eden to the Ends of the Earth
  • How Can I Develop A Christian Conscience? (Crucial Questions, #15)
  • Echoes of Eden: Reflections on Christianity, Literature, and the Arts
  • Finding Faithful Elders and Deacons
  • Eyes Wide Open: Enjoying God in Everything
  • The Masculine Mandate: God's Calling to Men
  • Gospel Deeps: Reveling in the Excellencies of Jesus
  • Reading for Preaching: The Preacher in Conversation with Storytellers, Biographers, Poets, and Journalists

“Would it not make sense that God not only wants to join us in our work but to increasingly conform us into greater Christlikeness while we work?” 0 likes
“All too often I viewed my work as an obstacle to my spiritual growth.” 0 likes