Start by marking “Heartbreak and Magic” as Want to Read:
Heartbreak and Magic

Heartbreak and Magic

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A young man discovers the malevolence of first love. A boy travels back in time in search of history and his name. A neighborhood is besieged by a resurrected evil in their midst. A clone of Jose Rizal uncovers surprising secrets. A heartbroken girl harnesses magic to win a boy's love, and almost destroys the world. This book collects eight stories of fantasy, horror, and ...more
Published 2011 by Anvil Publishing, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Heartbreak and Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heartbreak and Magic

DC
[I have actually been eyeing this book for some time now. For some reason, I just couldn't help myself from buying it the second time I saw it-- the word "Magic" in the title (plus Gaiman's quick words!) just utterly made me defenseless against prudence. xD]
Devi Barcena
I feel bad that I am not reading more of our local authors. I always enjoyed my
Philippine literature class in college, although majority would say the opposite - simple stories with deep and complicated meanings. It was in that class (I had a very good teacher-Hi, Mam Pam!) that I understood phallic symbols.

It is no wonder that I felt the excitement again when I picked out this book from the library shelf. Casocot's name stuck in my head after reading Motherhood Statements and well, this author
Majuchan
Weird & Creepy

I just saw this book from the pile of newly acquired books from the library, I just scanned the first pages, then I started reading the first pages then, Boom! I got curious at the first story. I was amaze that a local author wrote it. Then I check it out.

I'm not into short stories, because I can't establish a decent connection with the main characters. But this collection of short stories made connection with me by its mysteries and deep stories.

Another thing that I like abou
Jillian Armonia
A definitely recommended read especially for those away from the Philippines. His prose is actually very witty and his diction is soooo precise (goodness, the amount of puns in there) His collection of stories are a beautiful mix of fantasy, horror and probably inspiration (?) Idk. One of his stories was about magic and all that stuff inspiring people to make art again. ^_^ I'm rating it 4 stars because it can be a bit confusing and he's putting too much of our language in there. I mean some wor ...more
Sey Queral
hfhjkf
Mirvan  Ereon
"Maginificent. Truly a work of a genius who knows that literature has no bounds. A fantastic red that I will never forget. Hope I would meet the author personally."
RJ
Jan 12, 2014 RJ rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: favorite
Haunting short stories, relentless imagination. I've never experienced these in a Filipino fantasy story before. I highly recommend this book.
Shongi
I enjoyed every page! Feels amazing to have had the chance of being his student back in college :)
Alexandra May
"The Sugilanon of Epefania's Heartbreak" got me. And "The Pepe Report".
Maryjoybernasor
Maryjoybernasor marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Alona Monegro
Alona Monegro marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Irish
Irish marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Asdfghj
Asdfghj marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Claire Cruz
Claire Cruz marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Wynmar Kevyn
Wynmar Kevyn marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Paul Del
Paul Del marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Jaesuemin Casa
Jaesuemin Casa marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Jeli
Jeli marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Josshi
Josshi marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Ian Rosales Casocot was a fellow for fiction in the national writers’ workshops in Dumaguete, Baguio, Cebu, and Iligan, and was a writer-in-residence for the International Writing Program in the University of Iowa. He has won the Don Carlos Palanca Award, the NVM Gonzalez Prize, and the Fully-Booked/Neil Gaiman Philippine Graphic/Fiction Award for his fiction. His books include FutureShock Prose: ...more
More about Ian Rosales Casocot...
Beautiful Accidents: Stories The Best of the Philippine Speculative Fiction: 2005-2010 Philippine Speculative Fiction Vol. 7 Philippine Speculative Fiction Sampler Philippine Speculative Fiction Volume 6