Start by marking “Please Do Feed the Cat” as Want to Read:
Please Do Feed the Cat

Please Do Feed the Cat

A decomposing body...a severed head in a closet...a macabre meeting with "Mother"--mystery writer Lorinda Lucas tosses yet another paperback in the trash, appalled at the gruesome direction of today's crime fiction. She's even more disturbed at the half-starved state of Roscoe, the cat next door. Before Lorinda left for her latest book tour, Roscoe was as plump and pampere ...more
Published December 27th 2005 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Please Do Feed the Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Please Do Feed the Cat

Jennifer Defoy
I was a little apprehensive to pick this book up, however I am somewhat happy that I did. This is really the first murder-mystery that I have read, and while it wasn't great it did open me up to a new genre that I previously didn't think that I would like.

Marion Babson does a great job at developing her characters. Her characters were people I could imagine actually running into. They did not seem to be distant fantasy characters with whom I could not connect.

I enjoyed reading this book until
Viki
Nov 07, 2011 Viki rated it it was ok
A light snack of a book, uncomplicated for a "mystery." Refreshing literary pallate cleanser for me - I picked it up because of the cat. I love cats. So does the author, and her main characters. She happily devotes many narrative passages to the behaviors and idiosyncracies of the main character's two cats: "Had I" and "But Known." :-) Cute.
Antoinette
Mar 13, 2014 Antoinette rated it liked it
A light-hearted cozy set in a British writers' colony, Please DO Feed the Cat contains murder, mystery writers, and cats. The characters are well-developed. The plot's a little thin and so is Roscoe, a formerly plump cat who's been put on a diet. Entertaining and charming. I'm going on a Marian Babson reading spree.
Ashley Lynn
I came across this book on my last library trip and am not going to lie to you. I picked this up because of the title and cover. The cover also states this is a mystery novel. I thought it would be a great little cozy mystery. But, I was sadly horribly disappointed with this novel. I wanted it to be so much more than it was.

In this short mystery, Lorinda Lucas has just gotten back to England after a short book tour of the states. She lives in a small community that is filled to the brim with mys
Knight
Aug 28, 2013 Knight rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Abbey
BOTTOM LINE: #2 of 2 satirical cosies concerning Lorinda Lucas, author, in peculiar Brimful Coffers, rural England. A wonderfully cosy romp for those of us who love cats and amateur sleuths and Babson, but not recommended unless you’ve already read #1, CANAPES FOR THE KITTIES, 1996, a somewhat better book than this, unfortunately. I adore Lorinda, but Babson kept repeating herself. The weaknesses of this sequel wouldn’t stop me from gobbling up a third though, should there be one - it's still a ...more
Susan
Jan 21, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it
Mystery writers Freddie and Lorinda are neighbors in a quaint English village, and concerned about their close friend Macho (he writes that kind of book), a gentle man who has taken up with Cressie, a harridan who starves him and his cat Roscoe. Macho seems to dislike Cressie, as do all the neighbors, but she has some hold on him. Meanwhile, the village has been shocked by the hit-and-run death of a child. When there's a second death, all the neighbors suspect the same person. Things are not as ...more
Dolly
Jan 02, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
I'm a sucker for a cozy mystery with cats. They don't have to solve the mystery - just be in it, and I'm happy. This story was a quick read and fairly entertaining, although it felt a bit rushed and thrown together at the ending. I will likely look for more mysteries by Marian Babson, especially since she tends to include animals in her tales.

new words: harridan, chatelaine, temerity, surcease, proscenium
Judy
May 20, 2011 Judy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: paperback mystery and cat lovers
Cute book. I thought I had picked up a clunker but was pleasantly surprised when it was revealed that the first page was the beginning of a novel the heroine was reading and not the storyline for this book. Her inclusion of the cats in the story was preferable to me to the way Lillian Braun does her cat stories. The mystery is rather predictable, but the blandness in the plot is forgivable because the cats are so lovable. I picked this book up to read for "You'll Love This One" group read.
Kat Chan
Feb 03, 2013 Kat Chan rated it really liked it
My first book by this author. Not the best writing, but she does mock the cliches of many far-worse writers. I don't know that I'd pursue the other books in the series, but they're a nice option to fall back on when there is nothing else around. Also a very fast read as it is shorter than your average book.

I would've preferred to give it 3.5 stars, but it was definitely above a three star rating.
Mary
Sep 15, 2015 Mary rated it it was ok
In the first chapter, the protagonist is reading a book and drops it to the floor. This was how I felt when the 2nd chapter started with another mystery story to read. I was not thrilled. I enjoyed the sections that were not other books, but the chapters that started that way, just made it harder to read.
Marjorie
May 13, 2014 Marjorie rated it really liked it
Crazy but funny story. Small English Village where lots of writers live. Very devoted cat owners and dog owners among them. Murder involved, of course. You have your nervous type of character, who tends to babble. The rude,demanding female character. And the cynical ones. Marion Babson's books usually feature at least one cat.
Laura Cushing
Aug 18, 2013 Laura Cushing rated it really liked it
Fun mystery about a small village of mystery writers and their cats and dogs. It's very fun,and easy to get into. I love the names of the kitties - Had-I, But-Known, and Roscoe.

I got this in our library's take-me-home free section and oow I want to try and find the first book as it is the second in a series.
Monica
May 06, 2008 Monica rated it really liked it
I really enjoy light mysteries, and Marian Babson's cat books fit the bill. You won't figure out whodunit, but just sit back with a cup of tea and enjoy the atmosphere. ***I have read other books of hers, but have found them slightly more disturbing and less fun than the ones that feature cats.
Johanna Hardesty
Jan 10, 2012 Johanna Hardesty rated it did not like it
Not a huge fan. I will not be reading anymore of Marian Babson's books. The book dragged and in the last 4 pages mystery solved, it felt like when they took scooby doo cartoons (30 minutes long) and turned them into movies.
Kimberly
Jan 01, 2011 Kimberly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysterys
This was an OK read. Except that the names of the cats are so unwieldy that everytime they are mentioned in the book, it throws you off your reading rhythm.
Ellen
Jan 04, 2012 Ellen rated it liked it
Fun little mystery set in the cozy English writers’ colony of Brimful Coffers. Three cats are among the main characters.
Mary
Got it for my mother, who asked for a book to read. Large print, for her poor eyes. She still couldn't see it. It's a cosy.
Ericka
Apr 29, 2012 Ericka rated it really liked it
This is a good mystery using a cat as part of the story line. The idea that the story is based in England also makes it interesting.
Marilyn
Jun 10, 2010 Marilyn rated it liked it
So So rather unbelievable story, happily it was a short book-not sure I would recommend it, a bit on the British dull side for me.
Meg
Meg rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Beverly
Beverly rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2013
Angela
Angela rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2012
Adriana Baker
Adriana Baker rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2013
Darcie Cooper
Darcie Cooper rated it it was ok
Jan 29, 2013
Amber
Amber rated it it was ok
Jul 27, 2012
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2010
Caryn
Caryn rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2011
D. Starr
D. Starr rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2016
Merrilee
Merrilee rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Mew Is for Murder (Theda Krakow, #1)
  • The Anteater of Death (A Gunn Zoo Mystery, #1)
  • Nell Gwynne's Scarlet Spy
  • A Fatal Slip (Clay and Crime, #3)
  • Brute Strength (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #19)
  • The Dante Game (Homer Kelly, #8)
  • Blooming Murder (Iris House B&B, #1)
  • Three Mrs. Murphy Mysteries: Wish You Were Here; Rest in Pieces; Murder at Monticello (Mrs. Murphy, #1-3)
  • Beat Until Stiff
  • Day of the Dragon
  • Summer of Storms
  • Hiding Gladys (Cleo Cooper Mystery, #1)
  • A Small Case of Murder (Joshua Thornton Mystery, #1)
  • The Lycan The Witch and The Wardrobe
  • Toast Mortem (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #16)
  • Run Among Thorns
  • Zoned for Murder
  • Blessed Is The Busybody (Ministry Is Murder Mystery,#1)
Marian Babson, a pseudonym for Ruth Stenstreem, was born in Salem, Massachusetts, but has lived in London for the greater part of her life.

She has worked as a librarian; managed a campaign headquarters; been a receptionist, secretary, and den mother to a firm of commercial artists; and was co-editor of a machine knitting magazine, despite the fact that she can’t knit, even with two needles.

A lon
More about Marian Babson...

“Whatever had happened, she wondered, to the concept of reading as entertainment? Now it appeared to be an endurance contest as to how many pages the reader could get through without throwing up.
(Lorinda, chapter 1)”
2 likes
“Had-I and But-Known looked back at her with identical icy stares of umbrage and reproof. She belonged to them. How dare she make such a fuss of Roscoe? He owned a perfectly good … well, adequate … um … anyway … Macho belonged to him. And if he hadn’t trained Macho correctly, it was his fault” 0 likes