Start by marking “Paws for Alarm” as Want to Read:
Paws for Alarm

Paws for Alarm

A whisker away from death...

A summer in England sounds like a great idea for the Harper family-- and the house exchange makes it so affordable. Now they've swapped their New England home for a lovely cottage in a village near London. Why, the house even comes with a cat, a shy marmalade named Esmond! Everything seems purrfect...until someone tries to kill Mr. Harper.

Now th
Published May 15th 1998 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published July 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Paws for Alarm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paws for Alarm

Corinne
Jan 24, 2017 Corinne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I kept listening to this audiobook, trying to figure out what the point was. I particularly disliked the main character, Nancy, who was incredibly nasty to her husband and children. Altogether, it is a disappointing book by an accomplished author.
Linda
May 21, 2017 Linda rated it did not like it
It was very hard to discover the murder in this story. It seemed to be mostly about domestic issues.
Rusty
May 03, 2011 Rusty rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Taking a trip to England for a few months sounds like a wonderful adventure until someone begins trying to kill your husband. Arnold finds himself at the wheel of a car with no brakes, a clutch that won't work and the vehicle out of control with his family. An accident or did the renting agency give them a bad car? Then he is attacked by a group of rugby players on the train platform, one of whom comes at him with a knife. Lastly, he is waiting in line for a bus when someone gives him a shove in ...more
Anna
Apr 25, 2012 Anna rated it did not like it
A cat cozy. While I don't mind the genre (or other cozy mysteries) occasionally in between more noir stories, this one didn't resonate well with me.
Not dialog-driven, and the characters on their adventure in England had about as much drive as a three-legged horse. I wanted to like the story enough to see what happened and whodidit, but its boringness just kept escalating until I just couldn't make it (past page 80-something). The lady has some passive-aggressive issues, their children are boring
Bronwyn Rykiert
This is a bit of an ordinary story with a little crime/mystery in it. I was a bit slow and did not see where it was going. The Harper family, Arnold and Nancy, have exchanged their home in the US for a home in England. Before long Arnold is having accidents that he feels are not accidents, it took him awhile to talk Nancy around to his way of thinking, then they start a little investigation to find out what is happening and was the accident who killed the man of house they are staying in an acci ...more
Char Dauterman
Jul 07, 2015 Char Dauterman rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-cozy
I enjoyed the book for the most part. The only real issue I had was with the main character. I would go from disliking her, to starting to warm up to her, to disliking her again. I also would refrain from calling this a cat cozy as it isn't. The cat has very little to do with the book and almost makes you wonder why it's titled as it is.
Stephanie
Jul 04, 2011 Stephanie rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, mystery
Eh. Personally, I wasn't sure how much I liked the main character. Which isn't always a bad thing but in this case there wasn't much else in the book to make up for it. Probably won't be reading any more of this series.
Monica
May 06, 2008 Monica rated it really liked it
I really enjoy light mysteries, and Marian Babson's cat books fit the bill. You won't figure out whodunit, but just sit back with a cup of tea and enjoy the atmosphere. ***I have read other books of hers, but have found them slightly more disturbing and less fun than the ones that feature cats.
Margaret
Jun 21, 2015 Margaret rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Quite a dreadful book but I did read it all. Wanted to discover if there actually was a coherent plot. Questionable. Characters one-dimensional. Writing indifferent. Was in the pile that Sarah was giving away.
Jackie
Jun 07, 2013 Jackie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-mystery
Murders are numerous in this book. Which husband is the “real” target? No one can be certain but I think I’ll refrain from doing an international house swap, unless I can have a police report first.
Angela
Nov 21, 2008 Angela rated it it was amazing
Excellent and fun mystery. Also sad. This is what happens when people go travelling! This is the first of a two part duo. This one deals with the family who comes to England and the other one Smoke and Whiskers is the family who goes to the U.S.
Susan
May 08, 2010 Susan added it
very good cozy mystery...not much on cat, though
Kim
Aug 12, 2010 Kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2010
This could've been a really good book with all sorts of tension building. Instead it was pretty random and unconnected with the solution coming from nowhere.
Pity
Kay
Kay rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2014
Jbell
Jbell rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2012
Karen M
Karen M rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2011
Jane
Jane rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2011
Heather Henderson
Heather Henderson rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2014
Marie
Marie rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2012
Devin
Devin rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2014
Helene
Helene rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Candace
Candace rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2009
Wanda
Wanda rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2012
Helen
Helen rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2013
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2011
Ann Leuenberger
Ann Leuenberger rated it it was ok
Jan 10, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2009
David
David rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2010
Brooke
Brooke rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2015
Tracee
Tracee rated it it was ok
Jun 21, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Marian Babson, a pseudonym for Ruth Stenstreem, was born in Salem, Massachusetts, but has lived in London for the greater part of her life.

She has worked as a librarian; managed a campaign headquarters; been a receptionist, secretary, and den mother to a firm of commercial artists; and was co-editor of a machine knitting magazine, despite the fact that she can’t knit, even with two needles.

A lon
More about Marian Babson...