Start by marking “The Death and Return of Superman Omnibus” as Want to Read:
The Death and Return of Superman Omnibus

The Death and Return of Superman Omnibus (The Death and Return of Superman #1-3)

For the first time, the historic story of the death and return of Superman is collected in one massive, 784-page hardcover volume featuring an all-new cover by pivotal creator Dan Jurgens, timed to coincide with the 15th anniversary of the event! THE DEATH AND RETURN OF SUPERMAN OMNIBUS includes the best-selling trade paperbacks THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN and THE RETURN OF SUPE ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by DC Comics (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Death and Return of Superman Omnibus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Death and Return of Superman Omnibus

Gary Butler
Apr 25, 2015 Gary Butler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
40th book read in 2015.

Number 160 out of 468 on my all time book list.

Follow the link below to see my video review:

Michael
May 28, 2013 Michael rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Mein erster Superman seit Kindheitstagen. Warum habe ich mir das angetan, wo ich den Kerl schon als 10-Jähriger nicht richtig leiden konnte?
Eigentlich nicht ganz fair, den Wälzer zu bewerten, wo ich nur 10 Prozent gelesen habe. Aber die Handlung ist bislang so desaströs, dass ich mich nicht weiter durch das Buch quälen will.
Muskeln, Muskeln, Muskeln... über 100 Seiten wird immer wieder mächtig draufgehauen und die Kernfrage ist einzig und allein: wer hat den Größeren(Muskelberg natürlich)???
Da
Feather Mista
Mar 09, 2010 Feather Mista rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jamás leí esta edición y admito que en una relectura actual muy probablemente bajaría mínimo una estrella. Pero la nostalgia es la nostalgia, y hasta que no retome el libro como el adulto amargo que soy hoy, en mis recuerdos sigue siendo una historietaza, sobre todo por el período correspondiente al Reinado de los Supermanes (que, si no me equivoco, está incluido en su totalidad acá).
John Smith
Feb 15, 2017 John Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely the high-water mark of post-crisis Superman comics. it's still Read's so great even after all these years. if you've never read this story do yourself a favor and pick up these trades or this omnibus you will not be disappointed.
Jeane
Aug 02, 2011 Jeane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
A Blast from my past, I haven't read these comics since I was in 5th grade, what 1992? wow! I totally remember all the different Supermen being introduced, and the whole "Who's the real Superman" tag lines! Re-reading all this now almost 20 years later was quite the experience for me. Some much of it I can't believe I still remember! Of course it just goes to show that you may only remember the good cause I don't remember a lot of the boring drama stuff.

Here's the thing, I hate drama in comic b
Salvatore Pulvirenti
Non so se sono io o se è colpa sua. Il giudizio va a stento a prendere tre stelline.
Cominciamo dal fatto che l'edizione è sontuosa, un cartonato di 745 pagine per un fumetto (ok, una raccolta di fumetti) non è cosa che si trova tutti in giorni.
Ci sono anche dei gadget e questo certo impreziosisce il tutto.
Naturale quindi che l'aspettativa sia alta sulla qualità generale dell'opera.

Arrivati alla fine però nascono tante domande. E' tutto chiaro? Ci sono "buchi" nella narrazione? Tutto ha un senso?
Nick
Nov 04, 2010 Nick rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Comics in the 90s get a bum rep. Sure, I may be slightly bias because this was the era of my youth and I grew up reading stories like Reign of the Supermen in between dips in the pool and riding my bike. I acquired this massive omnibus which tells the tale of the death and return of DC's most prolific hero a few years ago when it was released, but didn't decide to buckle down and re-read it until the recent Man of Steel film came out. I'm happy to report that the stories of my childhood are not ...more
Mbobish
Jul 16, 2008 Mbobish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elijah Spector
Oct 29, 2007 Elijah Spector rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Got this for my girlfriend for her birthday (I am clearly the best boyfriend ever) but I had to read it too.

Death and Return of Superman exemplifies a lot of what 90's comics were all about... mostly in a good way, although some of the good things here got copied and blown out of proportion by others. Overall, though, it is a pretty good, and very important, read.

For the few who don't know: Superman dies, world grieves, four new "Supermen" show up, mystery and hijinks ensue. It becomes a great,
Blake Petit
The original Death and Return of Superman ran in 1992 and 1993. I didn't realize it at the time, but it would be one of the biggest influences on my fandom. I already liked Superman, but this story went on a roller-coaster of action, followed immediately but unexpectedly heartfelt and touching moments as the supporting members of the cast mourned their hero. From there we went into a mystery -- which of the four pretenders to the throne, if any, is the true Superman? And it ends with a kick-ass ...more
Christopher
Nov 13, 2014 Christopher rated it liked it
What an inconsistent and meandering book, but glad I finally dove in after 20 years of putting it off. The first part is exciting, just seeing Doomsday go through a few issues of destruction leading up to Superman's death. However, no where in the 900ish pages do we learn anything about Doomsday or his motives. But we have whole issues devoted to Pa Kent's dreams, and Lois and Jimmy being sad and then more sad. I did find it interesting to see how the four "new" Supermen came to be and that whol ...more
Sean Kennedy
A mammoth read, but it really drags in places. Funnily enough, when Superman is dead. Okay, not that surprising seeing he is the character you are reading for, and although there are some great setpieces including his funeral with all his superhero colleagues in attendance, and a nice subplot in which Lois Lane has to hide her grief both for Clark and Supes as she is mourning both (and is assisted by Lana Lang and Ma and Pa Kent), the storyline of the 'reign of the false Superman' gets repetitiv ...more
Eduardo Sánchez
Resumiendo muy mucho, que malos fueron los 90 para según que cosas (ese Superman con pelo largo que no hay por donde cogerlo). Para lo que tendría que haber sido un acontecimiento histórico, DC hizo un alarde total de mediocridad en todos los sentidos. Dibujantes mediocres y guiones mediocres. Y ojo, que no digo que sean unos cómics aburridos, que para pasar el rato sirven, pero nada más allá. En fin, totalmente olvidable.
Michael
Nov 17, 2008 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This brings me back to my initial comic obsession, but the Death and Return of Superman really meant a lot to me, a time ago.

After 10 years or so, this still holds up, basically. The Death and Return is overwrought with melodrama at times, but still manages to convey the importance of the event.

This is a fitting end and rebirth for Superman.
J.
Jun 07, 2014 J. rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Like most of my friends, I considered this a publicity stunt at the time, but I have to say that's a bit unfair. There really is a lot of story here. It gets bogged down in places, and seems dated occasionally, but it really does function well on a lot of levels, has a nice sense of mystery, and resolves nicely.
Philip Marcil
Apr 14, 2013 Philip Marcil rated it it was amazing
WOW!!!!
Je suis un grand fan de Superman mais pour une raison que j'ignore je n'avais encore jamais lu The Death of Superman. Toute l'equipe derriere Superman ont fait un travail collossale pour redonner un boost a cette franchise. Si vous etes un fan de Superman et que vous n,avez jamais lu The death and return of Superman.. go allez-y!
Hainsworth
Jun 25, 2015 Hainsworth rated it liked it
Some how I remember the MoS being down longer and Steel and Superboy carrying the mantle a little longer. Hard to say a 900 page comic book compilation feels rushed. And yet... Still - I didn't hate my return to the early 90s. Still hate the mullet though.
Alejandra Cosío
Leí la historieta, los gráficos son espectaculares, pero la historia... Hay 3 diálogos que me hicieron todo el contexto y son el fondo, los demás me dejo mucho que desear. Quizá es que me acostumbré a encontrar fondo en todo como en V for Vendetta o Watchmen, este es más de entretenimiento
Ismail menasterly
Sep 29, 2008 Ismail menasterly rated it it was amazing
i like this book because I like comic books and it tells of how superman battled doomsday and how he won but payed the ultimate price for it.
Darko Djokic
Oct 09, 2015 Darko Djokic rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Zagor's fans
Worse than bloody Zagor. This book is only for mentally ill and retarded people. It made me puke.
UN-fucking-readable!!!
Kevin
Mar 28, 2016 Kevin rated it really liked it
Pretty cool, overall. The actual Doomsday vs. Superman fight at the beginning, resulting in their "deaths" is pretty blah. The mysteries that get going afterwards though - engaging stuff! I dug it.
David
Sep 28, 2007 David rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Comic, Film People
Yep-- they killed him. But he's Superman, what could possibly kill him? This is how you establish antagonism.
Andre Piucci
Oct 01, 2015 Andre Piucci rated it it was amazing
"Eu gostaria muito que a violência não fosse necessária mas, às vezes, ela é o preço a se pagar por um bem maior."
Jose
Jose rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2014
Zach Milan
Zach Milan rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2007
Dr. Manhattan
Dr. Manhattan rated it did not like it
Jan 07, 2016
Jorge Lopez
Jorge Lopez rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2016
Samuel Regueira
Samuel Regueira rated it liked it
May 04, 2016
Drew
Drew rated it it was ok
Dec 31, 2013
Shillihs
Shillihs rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2014
  • Superman vs. Muhammad Ali
  • Harlan Ellison's 7 Against Chaos
  • The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck: Volume 2
  • Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files 03
Dan Jurgens is an American comic book writer and artist. He is best known for creating the superhero Booster Gold, and for his lengthy runs on the Superman titles Adventures of Superman and Superman (vol. 2), particularly during The Death of Superman storyline. Other series he has been associated with include The Sensational Spider-Man (Vol. 1), Thor (vol. 2), Captain America (vol. 3), Justice Lea ...more
More about Dan Jurgens...

The Death and Return of Superman (3 books)
  • The Death of Superman