Start by marking “Alien Vault: The Definitive Story of the Making of the Film” as Want to Read:
Alien Vault: The Definitive Story of the Making of the Film

Alien Vault: The Definitive Story of the Making of the Film

For over thirty years, audiences have been simultaneously captivated and appalled as the spaceship Nostromo is invaded and its crew stalked by a terrifying parasitic creature. From the gore of the infant alien bursting from Kane’s chest to the mounting claustrophobia as Ripley discovers the monster has followed her into the escape shuttle, Alien is a chilling masterpiece.

N
Published September 17th 2011 by Voyageur Press (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Alien Vault, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alien Vault

The Art of Tangled by Jeff KurttiThe Art of How to Train Your Dragon by Tracey Miller-ZarnekeThe Art of Brave by Jenny LerewThe Art of Rise of the Guardians by Ramin ZahedThe Art of The Lion King by Christopher Finch
The Art of the Film, Part 1
98th out of 164 books — 75 voters
Easy Riders, Raging Bulls by Peter BiskindHitchcock by François TruffautPictures at a Revolution by Mark  HarrisThe Great Movies by Roger EbertAdventures in the Screen Trade by William Goldman
Books ABOUT Movies
263rd out of 432 books — 165 voters

More lists with this book...

Vis
May 15, 2015 Vis rated it it was amazing
This is the first 'making of' book I've read and 'Alien' happens to be one of my all time favourite movies. I'm prepared to acknowledge that this may have influenced my rating, but nevertheless I found the book to be a great summation from start to finish of the making of 'Alien' with many interviews, wonderful photos and fun additional artwork to admire. It was fascinating to read in particular the thoughts and musings of Dan O'Bannon and Ridley Scott regarding the entire process. I also found ...more
John Black
Feb 20, 2012 John Black rated it really liked it
Alien is basically my favourite film (well occasionally it’s Blade Runner but mostly it’s Alien). With Prometheus not far away it’s almost inevitable that publishers will be going back to the source material, the mother load, again. Alien Vault bills itself as ‘The Definitive Story of the Making of the Film’. Is it?

Well, for a start, it looks gorgeous – it’s almost ten inches square and a good inch thick. It’s in a slip case that’s made from really solid card. The pages themselves are thick and
Aubrey
Jan 01, 2012 Aubrey rated it it was amazing
Great book to start off 2012 with, for me at least. Why? Well I should probably state my bias off the bat. I'm now 27 and I watched Alien when I was five years old. Crazy to some that a "child" would be allowed to watch "such a thing" but I loved it! It mesmerized me, made me fascinated with film and want to be a movie critic, and more importantly it was a breakthrough in film (particularly sci-fi), a classic and even the word "classic" does not do it justice. I'm a fan of the series as a whole. ...more
Darren Vincent
Feb 01, 2012 Darren Vincent rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Good book. I think that it is a pretty good book by any standards, whether you are a hard-core fan or a casual one. If you are looking into a book based on a movie made over 30 years ago, then my guess is that you are a hard-core fan (no offense to the casual ones). AND, if you ARE a hard-core fan, then you have probably come across most of the information at least once in the commentaries and behind-the-scenes features on the DVD/Blu-Ray discs. Even still, I found it to be entertaining.

The cha
Parka
Apr 10, 2012 Parka rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Alien Vault
(More pictures on my blog)

Alien Vault is the movie companion to the masterpiece of Ridley Scott.

The 176-page book comes in a nice slipcase. The pages are filled with photos, artwork and some printed artefacts like Ridley Scott's annotated storyboards and other interesting stuff enclosed in vellum envelopes.

As for the content, much of the visual content were actually released in a much earlier book called The Book of Alien , just that the presentation is different. Some of the set photos are th
Kenny
Oct 10, 2011 Kenny rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Alien Vault is an in-depth behind-the-scenes look at the making of what is, by any earthly standard, the ultimate sci-fi horror film, Alien. I know, because my neck still hurts from my girlfriend choking me in terror, screaming as the chest-burster bathed the genuinely surprised cast in movie blood as it emerged from John Hurt. And that was just the beginning of the terror.

So I've been aware of the Alien phenomenon since the beginning and have read a number of books detailing the film, as well a
Gabriel
Feb 25, 2013 Gabriel rated it really liked it
Packed full of behind the scenes material and some awesome inserts, Alien Vault gives a great look at what it was to make Alien.

Movies at the time did not focus so much on producing material for this sort of thing so it is wonderful to see such a conclusive amount of stories and artwork from the film and to hear about the process from idea to screen and all the trouble that came with it.

Included in the book are inserts that fold out to show parts of the script, storyboards, and additional concep
Jobby
Sep 13, 2016 Jobby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everything you could want to know about the film Alien and then some.

I am a massive Alien fan so it should be no surprise that I really enjoyed this book. There's plenty of detail about all the behind the scenes stuff - the formation of the concept, the tales of studio execs, horrific test screenings. It's all there. There is more besides.

Lovely little envelopes throughout filled with concept art, alternative poster designs and scribbled on scripts. Stories of which actors were hard to work with
Jean-Francois Boivin
It is a very well written journalistic book, but it doesn't bring anything new to the much-documented stories behind the scenes of the making of this greatest movie of all time. A lot more information can be gained in the dozens of extras in the Alien Anthology blu-ray set, so that set is a better purchase and time-spender (for the few of you who don't already own this necessity.) There are good pictures and some reproductions of posters, patches, storyboards, script pages, etc... The best extra ...more
Craig
Feb 28, 2015 Craig rated it really liked it
Excellent, but let down by some annoying design choices: photos unrelated to the text, side-bars and inserts poorly placed, abrupt chapter finishes.
John Henery
Nov 12, 2014 John Henery rated it it was amazing
got this from the library and it is and awesome history of the movie! A must have for Alien fans! I need to add it to my collection.
Pia Thrasher
Apr 26, 2014 Pia Thrasher rated it it was amazing
Love all the background info on my all-time favorite sci-fi/horror movie(s)!
Greg Pettit
A good but light history of the making of Alien, filled with plenty of great photos and extras.

I've always loved this film, and I've read quite a bit about its history and making. I was pleasantly surprised to find this book included a lot of pictures I had never seen before, as well as a lot of new quotes and anecdotes.

I also enjoyed that the book was written recently, and can therefore comment on the franchise as a whole and how the industry has changed over the years.

A good book, but not grea
Matt
Jun 22, 2012 Matt rated it it was amazing
A treasure trove for fans of the original "Alien", this hardcover, slipcased edition is printed on thick, high quality paper and features a wealth of behind-the-scenes photographs dating from the conception of the film all the way until post-production.

Also included are many reproduction inserts from both writing and design departments of the film. The book covers - in great detail - the process of making the film, and includes commentary from many of the key players including Sir Ridley Scott,
Courtney
Jun 27, 2015 Courtney rated it it was amazing
An amazing exploration of Alien.
Wurmo
Sep 15, 2011 Wurmo rated it it was amazing
If you are a fan of the original "Alien" film, this book is a must. Not only does it provide some amazing behind-the-scenes stories and images about the making of the film, it also has some really cool removable pieces of art and memorabilia in envelopes. It is actually a very good read too (more than just a visual treat). Nathan obviously loves the film/director, so it's good to see and read this story from the perspective of a fellow scifi geek. Well worth the price and a great gift, if you've ...more
Babs Grr
Jun 21, 2016 Babs Grr marked it as to-read
FALSE
Adam
Oct 16, 2011 Adam rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic piece of memorabilia. While not as comprehensive or detailed on the actual making of the film as it could be, there are some really nice pieces that come with this. The fold-out blueprints for the Nostromo, along with original storyboard art and concept designs are a really nice touch. It's a nice guide to the making of the film packed with production photos and quotes with the filmmakers and cast.
Jeral Rivarola
Sep 14, 2013 Jeral Rivarola rated it really liked it
Repaso de la historia del film original desde su concepción hasta su estreno. Le echo en falta un poco más de profundidad, pero eso como amante del cine en todas sus variantes. Como está, es accesible para cualquiera.

Te deja con ganas de tener un libro más completo que abarque la saga entera.

Ahora me voy a repasar la peli en la comodidad de mi casa.
Txema
Aug 23, 2016 Txema rated it really liked it
Los fans de la saga ya conocerán muchas de las cosas que aquí se relatan, pero se agradece tenerlos todos reunidos, en vez de desperdigados en revistas, libros, entrevistas y la memoria. Los añadidos (posters, pegatinas, planos...) son una maravilla y suman un valor al de ya por sí estupendo libro.
Shelby Miller
Feb 15, 2015 Shelby Miller rated it really liked it
Although a bit too fan-boy in it's prose at times, this book is a very good look at the making of an iconic sci-fi flick.
Stewie
Nov 14, 2011 Stewie rated it really liked it
Chock full of on-set stories and behind-the-scenes pictures, this one is a no-brainer for Alien fans.

You can read my full review at HorrorTalk.com.
Leif
Mar 31, 2016 Leif rated it liked it
Although there is some really neat collectible stuff in this book, all it contains are the author's slap-dash rehashing of the film commentaries and documentaries that most Alien fans have already seen/heard. Nothing revelatory...
Marc P
Jan 22, 2012 Marc P rated it really liked it
If you have already digested the extras on the DVDs then you won't learn many new anecdotes but it's beautifully put together and has interesting photos, drawings and inserts that I personally had never come across.
Richard Noble
Jun 20, 2013 Richard Noble rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013
waited a stupidly long time before reading this in full. definitive 'making of' book. great pull out sections. boiled down: a really fab way to spend an afternoon. then watch the film again.
Alex
Oct 29, 2011 Alex rated it it was ok
Hardly definitive. Just pick up the Alien Anthology instead, there's more information on the creation of this classic there.
Meeses
May 28, 2012 Meeses rated it really liked it
Lovely and disturbing, as naturally it would be. Witness photos of the elegant Kenyan mime behind the rubber suit.
Mike Thomas
Oct 13, 2011 Mike Thomas rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! Vrey informative and interesting, with great keepsakes..... Well recommended....
Jamil
Oct 16, 2011 Jamil rated it really liked it
you can quibble with "definitive", but this was exactly what I wanted from a book like this.
Matthew Falls
Dec 06, 2012 Matthew Falls rated it really liked it

A gem of a book! Lots of goodies!
  • The Making of The Empire Strikes Back (Star Wars:  The Making of, #2)
  • Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner
  • The Citizen Kane Book
  • Prometheus: The Art of the Film
  • Monsters in the Movies
  • The Art of Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi
  • The Godfather Legacy: The Untold Story of the Making of the Classic Godfather Trilogy Featuring Never-Before-Published Production Stills
  • The Stanley Kubrick Archives
  • Kubrick: Inside a Film Artist's Maze
  • Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace - Illustrated Screenplay
  • Where No One Has Gone Before: A History in Pictures (Star Trek: All)
  • Star Trek Star Fleet Technical Manual