Start by marking “Daytripper” as Want to Read:
Daytripper

Daytripper

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  14,835 Ratings  ·  1,343 Reviews
What are the most important days of your life?

Meet Brás de Oliva Domingos. The miracle child of a world-famous Brazilian writer, Brás spends his days penning other people's obituaries and his nights dreaming of becoming a successful author himself—writing the end of other people's stories, while his own has barely begun.

But on the day that life begins, would he even notice
Paperback, British English Edition, 247 pages
Published March 1st 2011 by Titan Books (first published February 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Daytripper, please sign up.

Alessandra Santamaria maybe that you wont be obssesed about death any more, and you'll just enjoy life?

Patrick

Damn. This is probably the most profound story I've read in at least a couple of years. Comic or otherwise.

Keep in mind that this is a story about stories. About beginnings and endings. These things are close to my heart.
Seth T.
Let's get this out of the way up front: Daytripper may be the best graphic novel I've ever had the pleasure to read. Consider yourselves warned.

Perhaps Daytripper's biggest success is that it saves itself from being cliche. All the things that people want to say about it (e.g. "The book is life-affirming" or "The book shows that death is just another part of life") are exactly the kinds of things that could be said about that new movie that you don't want to see, the one that is bound to be an o
Kat Stark
Feb 29, 2016 Kat Stark rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, reviewed

Don't mind me. I obviously read this wrong and I am the black sheep, so please don't let my rating or review deter you from picking this up. I'm sure you'll love it, it was just not my cup of tea.

Listen to me, I am the ONLY one out of my friends that rated this low. I am the type of person that likes to get attached to my characters before they die, so that I can actually feel something from their death. This comic’s main idea surrounds that of death and life and all beginnings and endings. It s
Jeff
Aug 12, 2015 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, comix
Life turns on little moments. Moments that you dwell on and play over and over again in your mind in the infinite ways that they could have resolved themselves.

What do you do next? Do you go talk to the girl? Do you walk out of the shop? Could this be one of those pivotal moments?

Twin brothers, Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba, have crafted a wonderful graphic novel that centers on the life of one man, Bras de Olivias Dominguez. Each issue contains a key segment in Bras’ life and each one ends in his d
Γκέλλυ
*reread. Εξακολουθεί να είναι το αγαπημένο μου graphic novel. *

Δεν περίμενα ότι θα ερχόταν τόσο γρήγορα η στιγμή που η τριάδα των αγαπημένων μου graphic novels θα εκθρονιζόταν από την πρώτη θέση. Δεν περίμενα ότι θα ερχόταν η στιγμή που θα ξανάρχιζα αμέσως στο καπάκι να διαβάζω το graphic novel που μόλις τελείωσα. Δεν περίμενα ότι θα ερχόταν η στιγμή που θα έκλαιγα διαβάζοντας γιατί ποτέ στην ζωή μου δεν έχω κλάψει σε βιβλιο. Ούτε δάκρυ, ούτε καν να θολώσει το μάτι.

Στο Daytripper, ήρωας μας είνα
Keith
Jul 24, 2012 Keith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not to be mean (or hell, you know, yeah, kind of pretty much to be mean), but I'm not really sure that all these people falling all over themselves over Daytripper have really read enough comics, or enough books, or have lived enough, or have gone outside enough in general.

Wait! Come back! I'm sorry. I didn't mean it.

I mean, I know you've read enough stuff. I know you're a totally great human being. Really, I do; everyone says so.

And it's totally absolutely fine if you like this comic. Or if yo
sweet jane
Apr 13, 2016 sweet jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"My name is Brás de Olivia Domingos. This is the story of my life. Take a deep breath, open your eyes and close the book."

Ο Bras de Oliva Domingos είναι συγγραφέας στην επικήδεια στήλη μιας εφημερίδας, γεννήθηκε μια νύχτα που η ολόκληρη η πόλη βρισκόταν υπό συσκότιση και έφερε μαζί του το φως. Όνειρο του είναι να γίνει μεγάλος συγγραφέας σαν τον πατέρα του. Είναι ένα μικρό θαύμα, όπως λέει η μητέρα του. Ένα τυχαίο γεγονός όμως θα ανατρέψει και τα δικά του όνειρα και των άλλων. Ο Bras θα πεθάνει
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

She was a day tripper, a one way ticket yeah

Chicago commercial photographers

If I finally get off my duff and write this review will I stop singing this song???? Please????????????

Some may say Daytripper was “a story about death.” But in actuality, it was “really about life . . . but death has a big part in it.”

It was about searching for “the moment that won’t fade. The moment we all search for.”

It was about realizing that “in order to go after your dreams –
Mariel
Jun 14, 2013 Mariel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the obit writer wanna be author in death and the penguin wasn't even this douchey
Recommended to Mariel by: I was foolishly intrigued that the authors were identical twins like me
Brás de Oliva Domingos' life began 28 years ago and it ended on a Friday morning as he was hit by a truck on his way for his morning coffee. He was always there when his friends needed him, was close to his family, and he, like everyone else, was trying to find his way in the desert, looking for that oasis we like to call... "love."

Someone stop Brás de Oliva Domingos. He's the obituary writer and he is writing about only himself on a fierce ego trip.

I would rather that was the story. It might
Jenny
Apr 13, 2016 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Για αρχή: ευχαριστώ όλα τα παιδιά που με τις απίστευτες κριτικές τους με έκαναν να θέλω σαν τρελή να το διαβάσω!

Δυσκολεύομαι πάρα πολύ να γράψω αυτή την κριτική,κι έχω γράψει-σβήσει ένα σωρό πράγματα μέχρι τώρα.Ξεκινώ από τα εύκολα:το σχέδιο εξαιρετικό και τα χρώματα πανέμορφα!Ακόμη και κάποιος μη εξοικειωμένος με το είδος μπορεί να αναγνωρίσει ότι έπεσε πολλή και σκληρή δουλειά.Αριστούργημα,πραγματικά.

Τώρα,σχετικά με την υπόθεση.Μου είναι αρκετά δύσκολο να ασπαστώ το γενικότερο νόημα,καθώς έχω
Chris_P
Life is like a book, son, and every book has an end. No matter how much you like that book, you will get to the last page and it will end. No book is complete without its end. And once you get there, only when you read the last words will you see how good the book is.

Daytripper is the story of an obituary writer's life. Take a moment to think this through. A written story about the life of a man who writes about people's deaths. This alone can give you a hint of what truely lies in the pages o
Nick
Feb 14, 2015 Nick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who's looking for a story about embracing life.
Disclaimer: Even if you don’t read graphic novels, pause to read this.

Here’s the deal. I spoilered quotations (once again) just in case people don’t want me to steal the joy of reading them for the first time on the actual pages they originate from.

I want you to read this book and in order to convince you, I want you to read the quotations (obviously, that’s why they’re included.) So I advise you randomly select two, read just those, and let the rest swoop in from the beautiful pages of this g
Melki
Jul 07, 2012 Melki rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel, death
This book is absolutely, breathtakingly gorgeous! Seriously. I'm talking watercolor sunsets out the wazoo! Woowee! For all the lush scenery, we have to thank, not either of the authors, but "colorist" Dave Stewart. If only, if only the concept and storyline were as well done as the pink and yellow clouds drifting lazily over the ocean.

The main character dies. A lot. Once as a kid. Once as an old man. And many, many times in between.

I get it. Life is beautiful. Death is sad. But starting each sto
Sophie
Apr 22, 2016 Sophie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Μελαγχολικό και σαφώς ιδιαίτερα ατμοσφαιρικό το συγκεκριμένο graphic novel, με εξαιρετική εικονογράφηση, που μεταδίδει δυνατά, ηθικοπλαστικού χαρακτήρα συναισθήματα και μηνύματα.

Εντούτοις το θεματικό μοτίβο που διαπερνά το έργο είναι το πλέον αγαπημένο της λογοτεχνίας -το δίπολο ζωής και θανάτου, το φαινόμενο της πεταλούδας, η αξία ακόμα και των πιο ασήμαντων καθημερινών στιγμών- και καταντάει κοινότυπο αφενός επειδή συναντάται συνεχώς και με παρόμοια φόρμουλα, αφετέρου κυρίως επειδή δεν ενέχει
Teresa
Nov 29, 2014 Teresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Teresa by: rhea
While reading this, I was reminded of the title So Many Ways to Begin, though this is So Many Ways to End. Beautiful story, beautifully rendered, and with a perfect ending. I'd love to quote the ending, but it should be experienced in its own time and setting.
Alistair
Oct 28, 2015 Alistair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was going to give this a 3 Star to being with...

...mainly because it just didn't make any sense and the puzzle wasn't coming together for me. Alas once again my impatience was over come by an emotional ending similar to the film 'Big Fish' by Tim burton. It's a beautiful ending and it put the story into perspective and it also put my own thoughts into perspective.

It's not a long story by any means. It's full of lots of long stories about a man named bras. Different events through out his life
Donna
"My name is Brás de Oliva Domingos, and I'm a dreamer...What my dreams really show me is what my life can be once I open my eyes...My dreams tell me who I am."

Image from http://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/photo....

This Eisner award winning graphic novel was my latest vehicle used to explore this genre, and it took me on quite a trip. At first, I wasn't sure what was happening in the story or where it would lead, which was nothing new for me. I'm often clueless at the start of a book and can only ho
Jeffrey May
I am absolutely sure that loads of readers will love this graphic novel and that it deserves better than what I could say about it. The weaving of well-worn story lines into one whole is done “artfully” with some good moments, text and art matching nicely, and with some clever presentation. However, I found the writing itself laden with superficial self-importance that can only come when a writer writes about being a troubled writer, sort of Latino Indie Film existential bombast (if that’s possi ...more
Erato
Apr 13, 2016 Erato rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ας ξεκαθαρίσουμε κάτι. Αυτό είναι από τα ελάχιστα graphic novels που έχω διαβάσει ως ενήλικη και η αλήθεια είναι ότι δεν είμαι ιδιαίτερα εξοικειωμένη με το είδος. Δεν πίστευα ποτέ οτι ένα gn μπορεί να σου "πει" τόσα πολλά..Ωστόσο το Daytripper με έκανε να ξενυχτήσω για να το διαβάσω και απόλαυσα κάθε σελίδα του. Τι να πω! Δεν έχω λόγια για τα συναισθήματα και τις σκέψεις που σου προκαλεί αυτό το έργο! Αξίζει να διαβαστεί και να ξαναδιαβαστεί!
Ευχαριστώ τις Γκέλλυ και sweet jane που οι κριτικές τ
Licha
May 12, 2015 Licha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
Wow! I’m not sure how to put into words what I just finished reading. I’m not even quite sure why I’m feeling like this but I really want to crawl into some little space and just bawl like a baby.

I will not even attempt to describe this book. I enjoyed reading each chapter, some hitting me like a giant wave, others feeling a bit forced, and others just good in their flow of the story. And I wasn’t sure where this all was flowing to, so I was very ready to give this a 3.5 star rating. But that e
Chloe
Apr 07, 2012 Chloe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chloe by: Caitlin
I never picked up this book and bought it because of the cover art and the description; for some reason, it seemed like it wouldn't interest me. However, a good friend gave it to me to read, and has consistently recommended good books to me, so I gave it a chance, and I am so glad that I did. The art was incredibly gorgeous, and the story was touching--honestly, this is the first graphic novel that ever made me tear up. It's rare for me these days to find a book that I wish hadn't ended when I f ...more
Martin Yankov
A lot of people seem to be REALLY inspired by this graphic novel. Maybe because it tells a kind of story that graphic novels usually don't - a story about everyday life and the special moments like the first kiss or meeting your soul mate for the first time, or loosing your parent... That formula really hasn't been used in many graphic novels, true. But have been used time and time again in movies and books and more movies and more books and more movies and more books...
I don't know, maybe I ju
Dimitris
Sep 19, 2015 Dimitris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW!!!Magnificent doesn't even begin to describe this book!Daytripper is a terrific comic book about all the little things that make life beautiful but also about the acceptance of death.BRAVO Fabio Moon!Η γραφική νουβέλα απλά τα σπάει!
description
Stacey
Elegant, both in words and drawing. This story examines the value of a life, told through time bending the date of death of a newspaper obituary writer. Emotional on many levels, the piece that strikes me the hardest is how obituaries are for the living, as if we put a stationery seal on the envelope at the end of a loved one's life.

Last summer, someone I once loved very much died. Here is his obituary:

"*** was born on April 5, 1970 and passed away on Saturday, July 2, 2011.
*** was a resident o
Nefariousbig
Oct 05, 2012 Nefariousbig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Daytripper moved me so much, I was not moved at all, I was reminded. I was reminded how magical the smell of a hand-rolled cohiba, the bitter taste of cachaca, and a dimly lit bar makes my brain feel so loose and heavenly inside my head. A poignant story, with illustrations so fluid and seamless they fill the tiny spaces between thoughts to make the whole experience just, BEAUTIFUL.

I was left with the feeling of hanging on, ever so carefully, balanced safely, precisely, but defiantly on the edg
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
"Every book has an end. No matter how much you like that book you will get to the last page and it will end. No book is complete without its end. And once you get there, only when you read the last words, will you see how good the book is."

I've been trying to delve into graphic novels more this year, since it's a genre I haven't explored much yet. I remember hearing about Daytripper a few years ago and thought it sounded really interesting, but I'd kind of forgotten about it for a while. Yeste
Jim Ef
Oct 01, 2015 Jim Ef rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Life is all about the little moments.Its all about family and friends.
Matilda
Apr 21, 2016 Matilda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Το διάβασα μετά απο συστάσεις εδώ στο goodreads και ήταν ένα απο τα καλύτερα graphic novels που έχω διαβάσει, αν όχι το καλύτερο. Κάθε σελίδα του με πλημμύριζε με συναισθήματα και με έφερνε αντιμέτωπη με στιγμές της δικής μου ζωής που με εχουν σημαδέψει μέχρι τώρα, όπως ακριβως και τον πρωταγωνιστη. Με έβαλε να σκεφτώ τι πραγματικά είναι σημαντικό και για ποια πράγματα αξιζει να ρισκάρεις στη ζωη σου. Μονο και μόνο για αυτό το ψυχολογικό και πνευματικό χάος που μου προκάλεσε τα 5 αστεράκια είναι ...more
Jessica-Robyn
Daytripper isn't the type of story that I can describe to you with any justice. The same can be said about my experience with this book, I wouldn't be doing it justice. Too personal, too inside my own head, to make any proper sense to an outside observer such as yourself.

All you really need to know is that I needed this today. I needed to read this and see my life mirrored in someone else's like it was real, I needed to smile, and more importantly I needed to cry.

Because some days that's all a
Sam Quixote
Jan 27, 2012 Sam Quixote rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the life of Bras de Oliva Domingos, told in chapters which single out a memorable year in his life, jumping from his life at age 32 to his life age 11 to his life age 76. And at the end of each chapter, Bras dies (it's a nuance that sounds strange here but makes sense in the book).

Bras is an obituary writer aching to become a respected novelist like his father, a world famous writer, who casts a long shadow across his son. Meanwhile we see Bras' life filled with characters like an ex-gir
  • The Unwritten, Vol. 3: Dead Man's Knock
  • Duncan the Wonder Dog: Show One
  • Jim Henson's Tale of Sand
  • Big Questions
  • Scalped, Volume 4: The Gravel in Your Guts
  • The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2: Dallas (The Umbrella Academy, #2)
  • Criminal, Vol. 1: Coward
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 10: Whys and Wherefores (Y: The Last Man, #10)
Gabriel Bá is a Brazilian comic book artist.
More about Gabriel Bá...

“It doesn't matter where you're from - or how you feel... There's always peace in a strong cup of coffee.” 111 likes
“Only when you accept that one day you'll die can you let go, and make the best out of life. And that's the big secret. That's the miracle.” 89 likes