Start by marking “The Mysterious Rider” as Want to Read:
The Mysterious Rider
Open Preview read book* *Different edition

The Mysterious Rider

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  318 ratings  ·  21 reviews
1921. From the master of the western comes a novel full of romance and adventure. Rancher Bill Belllounds brought up Columbine as though she were his daughter. Out of affection for her foster father, Columbine agrees to marry his son Jack, who is a drunkard, gambler, coward, and thief. But she really loves the cowboy, Wilson Moore. Then, the Mysterious Rider appears at the ...more
Published November 1st 2006 by Echo Library (first published 1919)

To ask other readers questions about The Mysterious Rider, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mysterious Rider

David Roark
Very good... His usual descriptive style was enjoyed, and the development of the characters. His way of depicting Wade I thought was especially interesting, and how he shows how Wade's dark premonitions build up to the climax of the story. "Thus she understood him. Love was the food of life, and hope was its spirituality, and beauty was its reward to the seeing eye. Wade had lived these great virtues, even while he had earned a tragic name."
John
As with Grey's other books, his description of magnificent outdoor splendor develops the atmosphere of this novel about conflict and romance on a Colorado cattle ranch. Strangely enough the Mysterious Rider does not initially appear until the stage is set and other characters are introduced. Consequently, the late arrival helps the reader know the importance of the Rider's role in this novel and how he ultimately relates to each character and influences their destiny in his brief time with them. ...more
Jan
Enjoyable Zane Grey move. This is a Western Romance. When I was in my teens, I was a great fan of Zane Grey novels. The life in the American West appealed to a young teen mind. After 50 years, I decided to pick up another one.
Zane Grey is still a pretty good read. But, is not an example of great literature.
The story is of a good adopted daughter and an evil son of a rich rancher. She commits to marrying the bad son to 'save him'. This seems a bit unbelievable to me. Her persistence in marrying
John
Dec 27, 2012 John rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own, 5-star
good wealthy rancher with bad son and good adopted daughter . good story
Alicia
Columbine, the young woman taken in by a successful rancher after being found wandering the wilderness as a toddler. is in love with Wils, the morally upstanding cattle hand. Unfortunately, her adopted father wants her to marry his good-for-nothing son. Luckily, there's a mysterious rider that comes into town with just the tools to help them out.

This was my first cowboy story. It was written in 1921, and doesn't have the structure or character development we've come to expect in modern stories.
Tom Kepler
The Mysterious Rider is a more complex novel about redemption. Still a western romance, the plot centers around a young woman, an orphan named Columbine, who is entrapped by her allegiances into considering marriage to the drunkard son of her adopted father.

"Hell Bent Wade" is the mysterious rider, a man with a veiled past who has spent his life helping others--usually with the business end of his pistol, to the detriment of the evil-doers.

The novel is more complex in its conflicts, though, than
Jeff Carpenter
Another excellent book from Zane Grey. The vivid nature descriptions in this one allow you to see the imagery as the adventure unfolds. I have read this book several times before and I still enjoy it, each time I read it. The story is about Columbine Bellounds, the man she loves, Wils Moore; her adoptive father, Bill Bellounds, and his son, Jack Bellounds, whom he expects Columbine to marry. Of course Jack Bellounds is no good, morally weak and lacking virtue. Into this impossible situation ride ...more
Doug Dams
This is my second favorite Zane Grey book. What I like about Zane Grey's writing is on the first page he introduces a place or person that makes you want to read on and find out more. In the first page of this book, we meet a girl who was discovered as a baby by miners. In later chapters we meet a rider with a secret past and a reputation as a gunfighter. The rest of the book tells the stories of these two people and how their lives have intersected. The story is well-told and the characters are ...more
Julie Adams
My favorite Zane Grey so far!
Rae
I know his writing is often trite and the critics abhor him, but I love a Zane Grey western. His predictable stories, with tough leading men and independent young heroines, make me feel good in an unsettled world. I love his descriptions of the landscape flora and fauna.

This story is a formulaic romance in which the good cowboy wins the heart of the rancher's daughter by defeating the evil ranch foreman. It's good stuff for whatever ails!
Johnny Bennett
This was a little campy but I enjoyed the characters. The good guys were a little to good, Bent Wade was a little too superhuman, and Jack was the quintessential bad guy. The character I really like was the father. Conflicted and relatively good, but never quite sold to either side. The point in reading is to see whose side he ends up falling on.
Magda
Rereading, this time I liked that Wade respected Columbine's choice to Sacrifice herself on the Altar of Duty. (It's melodramatic enough for the capitalization, though it's not done in the story.) The first few times I read it, though, I was completely ready to shake her, and confused as to why Wade just let her mull over her decision.
Melodee
This book tells the story of an aging rancher, his no-good son and spirited adopted daughter. The descriptive detail is moving. The evil son gets his comeuppance, the good cowboy gets the girl, and the mysterious rider brings it all together. A good gunfight and the love story make it a fun read. Zane Grey is not famous for nothing.
JP
An enjoyable story for a cold Sunday afternoon by the fire. Not the deepest book you'll read, but the characters have a little more depth than the typical Zane Grey and the descriptions of Colorado wilderness are perfect.
Fredrick Danysh
The adventures of a gunfighter, a settle, and a killer revolving around a beautiful woman. Grey paints a romantic view of the West written before writers started using graphic violence and sex in their work.
Jerry Killen
Zane Grey has the good, but flawed, hero and the girl. It seemed to be an unsolvable crisis. Grey was a great writer and left a wonderful legacy.
Michael Dolan
Not your basic "Oater". The characters seemed to me like archetypes working through their destinies of parent and child. Good read.
C Rams
It was a good plot but became difficult at times understanding the characters with the author's idealisms of the Old West.
Andrea
Radnja je predvidljiva, nije ovo remek- djelo. Ali mi je knjiga draga, pa joj dajem 3 zvjezdice. Šta fali. (:
Jim
Another outstanding Zane Grey book.
Aaron Trecartin
Aaron Trecartin marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
John smith
John smith marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Western Novels 1 1 Jan 14, 2015 07:26PM
  • The Night Horseman
  • The Man From Skibbereen
  • Showdown At Yellow Butte
Pearl Zane Grey was an American author best known for his popular adventure novels and stories that presented an idealized image of the rugged Old West. As of June 2007, the Internet Movie Database credits Grey with 110 films, one TV episode, and a series, Dick Powell's Zane Grey Theater based loosely on his novels and short stories.
More about Zane Grey...
Riders of the Purple Sage The Last Trail The Lone Star Ranger Betty Zane The Rainbow Trail

“Get up, an' take my scarf," said Wade, "an' bandage these bullet-holes I got.” 0 likes
“No nerve, hey? Not half a man!... Buster Jack, why don't you finish game? Make up for your low-down tricks. At the last try to be worthy of your dad. In his day he was a real man.... Let him have the consolation that you faced Hell-Bent Wade an' died in your boots!” 0 likes