Start by marking “The Mysterious Rider” as Want to Read:
The Mysterious Rider

Read Book* *Different edition

The Mysterious Rider

1921. From the master of the western comes a novel full of romance and adventure. Rancher Bill Belllounds brought up Columbine as though she were his daughter. Out of affection for her foster father, Columbine agrees to marry his son Jack, who is a drunkard, gambler, coward, and thief. But she really loves the cowboy, Wilson Moore. Then, the Mysterious Rider appears at the ...more
Published November 1st 2006 by Echo Library (first published 1919)

To ask other readers questions about The Mysterious Rider, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mysterious Rider

David Roark
Nov 16, 2014 David Roark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good... His usual descriptive style was enjoyed, and the development of the characters. His way of depicting Wade I thought was especially interesting, and how he shows how Wade's dark premonitions build up to the climax of the story. "Thus she understood him. Love was the food of life, and hope was its spirituality, and beauty was its reward to the seeing eye. Wade had lived these great virtues, even while he had earned a tragic name."
Kyria
Sep 14, 2013 Kyria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-classics
This is a wonderfully written book. The descriptions are lovely, and the characters fully fleshed out. You feel a real sympathy for the hero, yet he is not a perfect man. The book is easy to get caught up in.
John
Dec 27, 2012 John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, 5-star
good wealthy rancher with bad son and good adopted daughter . good story
Ellen Keane
Nov 29, 2016 Ellen Keane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! It had great characters. Zane Grey is the rare author who makes me read his descriptions of the landscape.
Tom Kepler
Oct 23, 2011 Tom Kepler rated it liked it
Shelves: western
The Mysterious Rider is a more complex novel about redemption. Still a western romance, the plot centers around a young woman, an orphan named Columbine, who is entrapped by her allegiances into considering marriage to the drunkard son of her adopted father.

"Hell Bent Wade" is the mysterious rider, a man with a veiled past who has spent his life helping others--usually with the business end of his pistol, to the detriment of the evil-doers.

The novel is more complex in its conflicts, though, than
Alicia
Jun 21, 2013 Alicia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Columbine, the young woman taken in by a successful rancher after being found wandering the wilderness as a toddler. is in love with Wils, the morally upstanding cattle hand. Unfortunately, her adopted father wants her to marry his good-for-nothing son. Luckily, there's a mysterious rider that comes into town with just the tools to help them out.

This was my first cowboy story. It was written in 1921, and doesn't have the structure or character development we've come to expect in modern stories.
John
Jan 17, 2015 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As with Grey's other books, his description of magnificent outdoor splendor develops the atmosphere of this novel about conflict and romance on a Colorado cattle ranch. Strangely enough the Mysterious Rider does not initially appear until the stage is set and other characters are introduced. Consequently, the late arrival helps the reader know the importance of the Rider's role in this novel and how he ultimately relates to each character and influences their destiny in his brief time with them. ...more
Jeff Carpenter
Another excellent book from Zane Grey. The vivid nature descriptions in this one allow you to see the imagery as the adventure unfolds. I have read this book several times before and I still enjoy it, each time I read it. The story is about Columbine Bellounds, the man she loves, Wils Moore; her adoptive father, Bill Bellounds, and his son, Jack Bellounds, whom he expects Columbine to marry. Of course Jack Bellounds is no good, morally weak and lacking virtue. Into this impossible situation ride ...more
Jan
Mar 31, 2014 Jan rated it liked it
Enjoyable Zane Grey move. This is a Western Romance. When I was in my teens, I was a great fan of Zane Grey novels. The life in the American West appealed to a young teen mind. After 50 years, I decided to pick up another one.
Zane Grey is still a pretty good read. But, is not an example of great literature.
The story is of a good adopted daughter and an evil son of a rich rancher. She commits to marrying the bad son to 'save him'. This seems a bit unbelievable to me. Her persistence in marrying
Doug Dams
Oct 01, 2011 Doug Dams rated it really liked it
This is my second favorite Zane Grey book. What I like about Zane Grey's writing is on the first page he introduces a place or person that makes you want to read on and find out more. In the first page of this book, we meet a girl who was discovered as a baby by miners. In later chapters we meet a rider with a secret past and a reputation as a gunfighter. The rest of the book tells the stories of these two people and how their lives have intersected. The story is well-told and the characters are ...more
Terry
Mar 19, 2016 Terry rated it did not like it
I read this book in 2015. I needed a western to fill a square on the summer reading bingo card. I thought the movie 3:10 to Yuma was pretty good, so I wondered if it was based on a book. I found out that it was based on a short story by Zane Grey. I found a collection of his short stories at the library, but I didn't want to read a collection of short stories. So, I picked up this book instead.

The basic story was okay, but I only gave it one star...for two reasons. One, I didn't like Gray's wri
Rae
Apr 19, 2008 Rae rated it liked it
Shelves: westerns
I know his writing is often trite and the critics abhor him, but I love a Zane Grey western. His predictable stories, with tough leading men and independent young heroines, make me feel good in an unsettled world. I love his descriptions of the landscape flora and fauna.

This story is a formulaic romance in which the good cowboy wins the heart of the rancher's daughter by defeating the evil ranch foreman. It's good stuff for whatever ails!
Michael Carrier
Oct 13, 2016 Michael Carrier rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Western fans
Recommended to Michael by: Me
RPL Audio

My first Zane Gray and my second western. Was not quite what I expected. Less gun play and more romance. Almost thought I was reading a "woman's" book at times since a portion of the work was from the only female in the book.

I am split over giving a three or four star rating so I am going with three because it has not hooked me to go out and read more. If I come across one I might pick it up or maybe not.
Melodee
Apr 30, 2012 Melodee rated it really liked it
Shelves: western
This book tells the story of an aging rancher, his no-good son and spirited adopted daughter. The descriptive detail is moving. The evil son gets his comeuppance, the good cowboy gets the girl, and the mysterious rider brings it all together. A good gunfight and the love story make it a fun read. Zane Grey is not famous for nothing.
Johnny Bennett
Oct 21, 2014 Johnny Bennett rated it really liked it
This was a little campy but I enjoyed the characters. The good guys were a little to good, Bent Wade was a little too superhuman, and Jack was the quintessential bad guy. The character I really like was the father. Conflicted and relatively good, but never quite sold to either side. The point in reading is to see whose side he ends up falling on.
Magda
Apr 28, 2008 Magda rated it liked it
Rereading, this time I liked that Wade respected Columbine's choice to Sacrifice herself on the Altar of Duty. (It's melodramatic enough for the capitalization, though it's not done in the story.) The first few times I read it, though, I was completely ready to shake her, and confused as to why Wade just let her mull over her decision.
Fredrick Danysh
May 04, 2013 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
The adventures of a gunfighter, a settle, and a killer revolving around a beautiful woman. Grey paints a romantic view of the West written before writers started using graphic violence and sex in their work.
Chris Vander wilt
Great read!

This book is a typical Zane Grey western. It has everything you'd expect in one of his novels. I especially liked all the twists in the plot. It was not a predictable ending.
JP
May 18, 2013 JP rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable story for a cold Sunday afternoon by the fire. Not the deepest book you'll read, but the characters have a little more depth than the typical Zane Grey and the descriptions of Colorado wilderness are perfect.
Michael Dolan
Sep 29, 2013 Michael Dolan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not your basic "Oater". The characters seemed to me like archetypes working through their destinies of parent and child. Good read.
John Latimer
Feb 09, 2016 John Latimer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Zane Grey at his best

A story of unconditional love, told as only an Author like Grey can write. If you are a fan of Zane Grey, this novel is a must read.
Robert Dooms
Jul 27, 2016 Robert Dooms rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy the Zane Grey stories, and this one has the usual good character development, but is slower than normal into getting into the basic story.
Andrea
May 17, 2013 Andrea rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-books
Radnja je predvidljiva, nije ovo remek- djelo. Ali mi je knjiga draga, pa joj dajem 3 zvjezdice. Šta fali. (:
C Rams
Jul 17, 2013 C Rams rated it liked it
It was a good plot but became difficult at times understanding the characters with the author's idealisms of the Old West.
Linda
Jan 04, 2016 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Almost perfect

If wade had not died this book would have been perfect to me. Would make a great movie. Zane grey is becoming my favorite author
Bill N. Smith
O

This is more of a story of romance than a western. I thought one o f Zane Grey's poorest novels.
Jerry Killen
Mar 10, 2013 Jerry Killen rated it really liked it
Zane Grey has the good, but flawed, hero and the girl. It seemed to be an unsolvable crisis. Grey was a great writer and left a wonderful legacy.
Ivana
Ivana rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2014
Megelza
Megelza rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2012
  • Rebel Spurs
  • The Man from Skibbereen
  • The Log of a Cowboy: A Narrative of the Old Trail Days
  • Showdown At Yellow Butte
Pearl Zane Grey was an American author best known for his popular adventure novels and stories that presented an idealized image of the rugged Old West. As of June 2007, the Internet Movie Database credits Grey with 110 films, one TV episode, and a series, Dick Powell's Zane Grey Theater based loosely on his novels and short stories.
More about Zane Grey...

“Get up, an' take my scarf," said Wade, "an' bandage these bullet-holes I got.” 1 likes
“No nerve, hey? Not half a man!... Buster Jack, why don't you finish game? Make up for your low-down tricks. At the last try to be worthy of your dad. In his day he was a real man.... Let him have the consolation that you faced Hell-Bent Wade an' died in your boots!” 1 likes