The Crafter's Guide to Taking Great Photos: The Best Techniques for Showcasing Your Handmade Creations

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Sell more of your handmade items with better photographs

Amidst the sea of handmade jewelry, apparel, housewares, art, and other crafts that populate blogs, websites, and online marketplaces, how do you make your items stand out? The key is great photography.

Beautiful handmade items can be undermined by poor or uninspired images that fail to represent the detail and craftsm...more
Published January 3rd 2012 by Interweave Press (first published December 20th 2011)

Lisa
Great advice for the point and shoot camera as well as the more "complicated" DSLR to get the best photographs of your homemade creations. The author gives great definitions for light, aperture, depth of field, shutter, exposure, etc. She not only tells what each camera basic is but explains how to use them in simple, easy terms.

There are great chapters on the basics of using Photoshop Elements as well. Simple, useful instructions!

I appreciated the chapters on the best ways to photograph variou...more
Marie Segares
Like many crafters, I've read enough photography tutorials to have a general idea about how to take great photos (natural lighting, know your camera, etc.). My knowledge is rarely a match for expediency when deadlines are looming, though. I thought this book would be full of lots of tips I already knew but would be a good read nonetheless.

Instead, I must admit that the Crafter's Guide to Taking Great Photos far exceeded my expectations. Although it is clearly targeted at crafters who sell their...more
Katherine
I was so excited when I saw this book on one of the many craft blogs that I read, but ended up feeling it was pretty basic. Maybe I've just been reading too many crafty blogs for too long, but most of the advice seemed pretty obvious (keep it simple, clean white backgrounds are always a reliably good choice, etc.) and not that different for each different product type. I enjoyed the interviews sprinkled throughout as well as the tutorials that had good before/after comparisons of using one techn...more
Laurel
I was very surprised by this book. Not only does it offer wonderful inspiration for photographing crafts, it also gives one of the best short introductions to digital photography and composition than I have seen. I think it does a better job than many of the digital photography books on the market now. I'd recommend it both to crafters and to beginning photographers.
Onellyantie Chuah
A great guide to photography for beginners (like me) with helpful tips and tricks.
Section by section how-to photography according to what you are trying to capture (fabrics, crafts, jewelry, art piece, pottery, etc.). Another useful info are the tutorials on how to make your own lighting equipment.

Nicely designed book!
Debra
The key to making your crafted items stand out online is great photographs. The author teaches how to make that happen, even with the most basic of camera. Divided into crafting categories, the author delves into the specifics of getting the best shot.
Phoebe
Smart and practical, this book is a great step-by-step for crafters (and others) new to the arts of photography, promotion, and marketing. I appreciate the combination of practical application, best practices, and theory.
Rachel
Beautiful book, lots of great advice and wonderful photographs enclosed. More for the proffesional seller than the amature I think, may need good photography equipment to re-create some of the shots.
Lesia Williams
Great book! Simple breakdowns of how to photograph a wide variety of items! Very helpful even to those who need to make a professional presentation!
Nicolette
Great read for a newbie photographer like myself. For the more experienced photographer this book might be too elementary.
Sara

Good tips- not really new info. Basic photography.
Tonya Meers
A useful book for beginners who want to understand he basics.
Brenda
Great starter book for Crafters!
Sandy  Kemp
loved it - going to buy this one!
Hila Cartwright
Hila Cartwright is currently reading it
Jul 09, 2014
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Hussein Elyaddak
Hussein Elyaddak marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Constance Sisson
Constance Sisson marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014