Start by marking “The Crafter's Guide to Taking Great Photos: The Best Techniques for Showcasing Your Handmade Creations” as Want to Read:

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Sell more of your handmade items with better photographs

Amidst the sea of handmade jewelry, apparel, housewares, art, and other crafts that populate blogs, websites, and online marketplaces, how do you make your items stand out? The key is great photography.

Beautiful handmade items can be undermined by poor or uninspired images that fail to represent the detail and craftsm
Published January 3rd 2012 by Interweave Press (first published December 20th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Crafter's Guide to Taking Great Photos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crafter's Guide to Taking Great Photos

Great advice for the point and shoot camera as well as the more "complicated" DSLR to get the best photographs of your homemade creations. The author gives great definitions for light, aperture, depth of field, shutter, exposure, etc. She not only tells what each camera basic is but explains how to use them in simple, easy terms.

There are great chapters on the basics of using Photoshop Elements as well. Simple, useful instructions!

I appreciated the chapters on the best ways to photograph variou
Marie Segares
Like many crafters, I've read enough photography tutorials to have a general idea about how to take great photos (natural lighting, know your camera, etc.). My knowledge is rarely a match for expediency when deadlines are looming, though. I thought this book would be full of lots of tips I already knew but would be a good read nonetheless.

Instead, I must admit that the Crafter's Guide to Taking Great Photos far exceeded my expectations. Although it is clearly targeted at crafters who sell their
I was so excited when I saw this book on one of the many craft blogs that I read, but ended up feeling it was pretty basic. Maybe I've just been reading too many crafty blogs for too long, but most of the advice seemed pretty obvious (keep it simple, clean white backgrounds are always a reliably good choice, etc.) and not that different for each different product type. I enjoyed the interviews sprinkled throughout as well as the tutorials that had good before/after comparisons of using one techn ...more
I think this was very well organized. It starts out with general photography information and tips on making some of your own equipment like light boxes. Then it breaks down into chapters which focus on different types of crafts and the difficulties specific to photographing those materials. Finished up with suggestions for workflow in processing and editing your photos.
I was very surprised by this book. Not only does it offer wonderful inspiration for photographing crafts, it also gives one of the best short introductions to digital photography and composition than I have seen. I think it does a better job than many of the digital photography books on the market now. I'd recommend it both to crafters and to beginning photographers.
Onellyantie Chuah
A great guide to photography for beginners (like me) with helpful tips and tricks.
Section by section how-to photography according to what you are trying to capture (fabrics, crafts, jewelry, art piece, pottery, etc.). Another useful info are the tutorials on how to make your own lighting equipment.

Nicely designed book!
The key to making your crafted items stand out online is great photographs. The author teaches how to make that happen, even with the most basic of camera. Divided into crafting categories, the author delves into the specifics of getting the best shot.
Smart and practical, this book is a great step-by-step for crafters (and others) new to the arts of photography, promotion, and marketing. I appreciate the combination of practical application, best practices, and theory.
Beautiful book, lots of great advice and wonderful photographs enclosed. More for the proffesional seller than the amature I think, may need good photography equipment to re-create some of the shots.
Lesia Williams
Great book! Simple breakdowns of how to photograph a wide variety of items! Very helpful even to those who need to make a professional presentation!
Great read for a newbie photographer like myself. For the more experienced photographer this book might be too elementary.

Good tips- not really new info. Basic photography.
Tonya Meers
A useful book for beginners who want to understand he basics.
Great starter book for Crafters!
Sandy  Kemp
loved it - going to buy this one!
Vasco marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Carissa marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Natasha marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Victoria marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Henry added it
Nov 03, 2015
Laura Ellison
Laura Ellison marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Donya marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Aimee marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Yuliya Lee
Yuliya Lee marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Tina marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
  • How to Sell Your Crafts Online: A Step-by-Step Guide to Successful Sales on Etsy and Beyond
  • Handmade to Sell: Hello Craft's Guide to Owning, Running, and Growing Your Crafty Biz
  • Mod Podge Rocks!: Decoupage Your World
  • Inner Excavation: Exploring Your Self Through Photography, Poetry and Mixed Media
  • Altered Books, Collaborative Journals, and Other Adventures in Bookmaking
  • Making Handmade Books: 100+ Bindings, Structures & Forms
  • Craftivity: 40 Projects for the DIY Lifestyle
  • Journal It!: Perspectives in Creative Journaling
  • The Book of Doing: Everyday Activities to Unlock Your Creativity and Joy
  • World of Geekcraft: Step-by-Step Instructions for 25 Super-Cool Craft Projects
  • Zombie Felties: How to Raise 16 Gruesome Felt Creatures from the Undead
  • Hands on Rigid Heddle Weaving
  • Microcrafts: Tiny Treasures to Make and Share
  • Creative Thursday: Everyday Inspiration to Grow Your Creative Practice
  • The Spinner's Book of Yarn Designs: Techniques for Creating 80 Yarns
  • Creative Lettering and Beyond: Inspiring tips, techniques, and ideas for hand lettering your way to beautiful works of art
  • We Dare You: Scrapbook Challenges about Real Life
  • Crafty Superstar: Make Crafts on the Side, Earn Extra Cash, and Basically Have It All