Start by marking “The Crafter's Guide to Taking Great Photos: The Best Techniques for Showcasing Your Handmade Creations” as Want to Read:

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  129 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Sell more of your handmade items with better photographs

Amidst the sea of handmade jewelry, apparel, housewares, art, and other crafts that populate blogs, websites, and online marketplaces, how do you make your items stand out? The key is great photography.

Beautiful handmade items can be undermined by poor or uninspired images that fail to represent the detail and craftsm
Published January 3rd 2012 by Interweave Press (first published December 20th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Crafter's Guide to Taking Great Photos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crafter's Guide to Taking Great Photos

Lisa
Mar 08, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it
Great advice for the point and shoot camera as well as the more "complicated" DSLR to get the best photographs of your homemade creations. The author gives great definitions for light, aperture, depth of field, shutter, exposure, etc. She not only tells what each camera basic is but explains how to use them in simple, easy terms.

There are great chapters on the basics of using Photoshop Elements as well. Simple, useful instructions!

I appreciated the chapters on the best ways to photograph variou
Marie Segares
Like many crafters, I've read enough photography tutorials to have a general idea about how to take great photos (natural lighting, know your camera, etc.). My knowledge is rarely a match for expediency when deadlines are looming, though. I thought this book would be full of lots of tips I already knew but would be a good read nonetheless.

Instead, I must admit that the Crafter's Guide to Taking Great Photos far exceeded my expectations. Although it is clearly targeted at crafters who sell their
Katherine
Mar 07, 2012 Katherine rated it liked it
I was so excited when I saw this book on one of the many craft blogs that I read, but ended up feeling it was pretty basic. Maybe I've just been reading too many crafty blogs for too long, but most of the advice seemed pretty obvious (keep it simple, clean white backgrounds are always a reliably good choice, etc.) and not that different for each different product type. I enjoyed the interviews sprinkled throughout as well as the tutorials that had good before/after comparisons of using one techn ...more
Rachel
Oct 14, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it
I think this was very well organized. It starts out with general photography information and tips on making some of your own equipment like light boxes. Then it breaks down into chapters which focus on different types of crafts and the difficulties specific to photographing those materials. Finished up with suggestions for workflow in processing and editing your photos.
Laurel
Jul 29, 2014 Laurel rated it it was amazing
I was very surprised by this book. Not only does it offer wonderful inspiration for photographing crafts, it also gives one of the best short introductions to digital photography and composition than I have seen. I think it does a better job than many of the digital photography books on the market now. I'd recommend it both to crafters and to beginning photographers.
Onellyantie Chuah
Sep 23, 2012 Onellyantie Chuah rated it really liked it
A great guide to photography for beginners (like me) with helpful tips and tricks.
Section by section how-to photography according to what you are trying to capture (fabrics, crafts, jewelry, art piece, pottery, etc.). Another useful info are the tutorials on how to make your own lighting equipment.

Nicely designed book!
Debra
Sep 29, 2013 Debra rated it liked it
The key to making your crafted items stand out online is great photographs. The author teaches how to make that happen, even with the most basic of camera. Divided into crafting categories, the author delves into the specifics of getting the best shot.
Phoebe
Feb 14, 2013 Phoebe rated it really liked it
Smart and practical, this book is a great step-by-step for crafters (and others) new to the arts of photography, promotion, and marketing. I appreciate the combination of practical application, best practices, and theory.
Rachel
Feb 28, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, craft
Beautiful book, lots of great advice and wonderful photographs enclosed. More for the proffesional seller than the amature I think, may need good photography equipment to re-create some of the shots.
Lesia Williams
Feb 14, 2013 Lesia Williams rated it it was amazing
Great book! Simple breakdowns of how to photograph a wide variety of items! Very helpful even to those who need to make a professional presentation!
Nicolette
May 02, 2012 Nicolette rated it it was amazing
Great read for a newbie photographer like myself. For the more experienced photographer this book might be too elementary.
Natalie
May 08, 2012 Natalie rated it really liked it
Sara
May 07, 2012 Sara rated it liked it
Shelves: at-library

Good tips- not really new info. Basic photography.
Tonya Meers
Feb 01, 2013 Tonya Meers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A useful book for beginners who want to understand he basics.
Brenda
Sep 25, 2012 Brenda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts-misc
Great starter book for Crafters!
Sandy  Kemp
Aug 14, 2012 Sandy Kemp rated it it was amazing
loved it - going to buy this one!
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2016
Petra
Petra rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Roxy Moran
Roxy Moran marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Pam Bradley
Pam Bradley rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2016
Kate Todd
Kate Todd rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Lo r n a J. Dodge
Lo r n a J. Dodge rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2016
Bea Antonina
Bea Antonina rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2016
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2016
Ashley Horvat
Ashley Horvat marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Carrie Niemi
Carrie Niemi marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Andrya
Andrya marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Beth Denker
Beth Denker marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
  • How to Sell Your Crafts Online: A Step-by-Step Guide to Successful Sales on Etsy and Beyond
  • Handmade to Sell: Hello Craft's Guide to Owning, Running, and Growing Your Crafty Biz
  • Mod Podge Rocks!: Decoupage Your World
  • The Collage Workbook: How to Get Started and Stay Inspired
  • Cultivating Your Creative Life: Exercises, Activities & Inspiration for Finding Balance, Beauty & Success as an Artist
  • Inner Excavation: Exploring Your Self Through Photography, Poetry and Mixed Media
  • Craftivity: 40 Projects for the DIY Lifestyle
  • Zombie Felties: How to Raise 16 Gruesome Felt Creatures from the Undead
  • Journal It!: Perspectives in Creative Journaling
  • Photojojo!: Insanely Great  Photo Projects and DIY Ideas
  • World of Geekcraft: Step-by-Step Instructions for 25 Super-Cool Craft Projects
  • Making Handmade Books: 100+ Bindings, Structures & Forms
  • Microcrafts: Tiny Treasures to Make and Share
  • The Book of Doing: Everyday Activities to Unlock Your Creativity and Joy
  • Bead on a Wire: Making Handcrafted Wire and Beaded Jewelry
  • Hands on Rigid Heddle Weaving
  • We Dare You: Scrapbook Challenges about Real Life
  • Blogging for Creatives: How Designers, Artists, Crafters and Writers Can Blog to Make Contacts, Win Business and Build Success