Start by marking “What They Didn't Teach You in Seminary: 25 Lessons for Successful Ministry in Your Church” as Want to Read:

Experienced megachurch pastor and award-winning author offers church-smart advice to help newer pastors avoid 25 potential pitfalls to successful ministry.
Published August 1st 2011 by Baker Books

To ask other readers questions about What They Didn't Teach You in Seminary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What They Didn't Teach You in Seminary

Phil Whittall
I'd never heard of James Emery White before getting this book or the mega church he leads in America so when What they didn't teach you in seminary: 25 Lessons for successful ministry in your church arrived in the post for review, I had no expectations one way or the other.

After having read it, I have a one big question: what do they teach prospective pastors in seminary in America? Really, if they missed out all this then there's some room for improvement over there.

So some of the 25 topics tha
Thelogo
Aug 25, 2011 Thelogo rated it it was amazing
I came to this book with low expectations. The reputation of the author drew me in but that alone was not enough to overcome the skepticism which the title engendered. Then, add to that a subtitle which promises a list leading to success? Oh boy…

By the time I was finished this book, however, my opinion was completely reversed. What did overcome my initial skepticism, swiftly and completely, were the wise and considered words of James Emery White. His discussion ranges from leadership and adminis
Jeremy Manuel
May 06, 2012 Jeremy Manuel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
If you are looking for a book that is filled with 25 practical aspects of ministry that is open and honest about some of the struggles that pastors and leaders have to face in ministry than this is a useful little book. The book is definitely marketed towards those who have gone to seminary and might have the academics, but realize that they haven't learned that many practical things about leading a church.

I would argue though that there is value in this book to anyone who is willing and able to
Tim
Jul 27, 2013 Tim rated it liked it
James Emery White and I minister in two different worlds but those worlds overlap in some places, therefore this book was helpful. White is part of the church growth orbit of evangelicalism and pastor of a megachurch. You would figure that would mean that he doesn't really have much to say to me, pastor of a small, reformed evangelical church but that isn't the case. I cringed at places in this book, rolled my eyes at other places, and then, more often than not, underlined the next sentence.

Whit
Steven Wedgeworth
Aug 12, 2011 Steven Wedgeworth rated it liked it
There were a couple of very good chapters in this one. It's full of "practical" advice, but it is set in the context of mega-church Evangelicalism. Since that is the case, White is assuming the pastor's role to be a certain thing, notably involving a large institution, lots of programs, and the like. He's also going to use a lot of "spiritual" language throughout. I'd recommend combining this with Eugene Peterson's works on the pastoral ministry. Some good stuff in here to be sure, but theologic ...more
Felix Odogbo
Dec 29, 2013 Felix Odogbo rated it it was amazing
Great quotes in this book, e.g., "...three qualifications of a pastor: must have the, i) Mind of a scholar, ii) Heart of a child, iii) Hide of a Rhinoceros. It hit home like a rock on my face.
Rick Dobrowolski
Sep 30, 2013 Rick Dobrowolski rated it liked it
This book is filled with great quotes and strategies. Lots of practical, but I found that much of it was hard to apply in my current situation. The book definitely has food for thought for the future, though.
Mark
Nov 26, 2011 Mark rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone in ministry
Shelves: personal-library
Flat out one of the best books on ministry I've ever read - James Emery White writes w/wisdom, style, humor & Scriptural backing. I can not recommend this highly enough.
Jimmytetley
May 09, 2014 Jimmytetley added it
Shelves: 2013-books
Awesome book - short chapters readable and several helpful insights. Practical lessons with serveral personal testimonies on different situations encountered.
Matt Markarian
Aug 27, 2011 Matt Markarian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great look at every day ministry challenges. This book had some amazing ideas and advice
Joy Svatek
Joy Svatek rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2016
Tim
Tim rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Michy
Michy rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Jace
Jace rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2016
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Mike Morris
Mike Morris rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2016
Jordan Reich
Jordan Reich rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2016
Jon Hoover
Jon Hoover marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Donnie Parrish
Donnie Parrish marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
scott lakey
scott lakey rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Jack Jacob
Jack Jacob rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2016
Rory Lewellyn
Rory Lewellyn rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Hunter Thompson
Hunter Thompson marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Jeanne Higgins
Jeanne Higgins rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Randy Kidd
Randy Kidd marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Joe Foltz
Joe Foltz marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016