Start by marking “My Pizza: The Easy No-Knead Way to Make Spectacular Pizza at Home” as Want to Read:
My Pizza: The Easy No-Knead Way to Make Spectacular Pizza at Home

My Pizza: The Easy No-Knead Way to Make Spectacular Pizza at Home

Make homemade pizza that exceeds your wildest expectations—yet couldn’t be simpler—with Jim Lahey’s groundbreaking no-knead dough and inventive toppings.

The secret to incredible pizza is a superb crust—one that is crisp yet chewy, and slightly charred around the edges. Jim Lahey, the baking genius behind New York City’s celebrated Sullivan Street Bakery and Co. pizza resta
Published March 20th 2012 by Clarkson Potter (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about My Pizza, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Pizza

Jennifer Rinehart
Dec 17, 2011 Jennifer Rinehart rated it it was amazing
I made Jim Lahey's pizza dough and my quest for perfect pizza dough has now ended. Just a little recap of the events that lead up to this quest. The setting, Tuscon, 2004, an ugly kitchen and a pile of pepperoni. I'd finally mastered the art of yeast dough, thanks to a recipe from the Bread Bible and I thought, 'pizza will be so eeeeasy!' and it was.

The basic ingredients were the same (let's be real here, the basic ingredients for most yeast doughs are the same) water, salt, yeast and flour. I
Alexandria
Dec 16, 2016 Alexandria rated it did not like it
Shelves: cookbook
None of the recipes appealed to my traditional American pizza palate.
Darren
May 28, 2012 Darren rated it it was amazing
I did it my way, this is the mantra of author Jim Lahey and he believes that you too can make spectacular pizza at home without any hassles whatsoever.

Unafraid of fighting the accepted convention that pizza must always follow a certain format, Lahey manages to plough his own furrow and show how his range of no-knead pizzas are within the grasp of everyone. Lahey is not an amateur shooting his mouth off on the Internet, but the power behind New York's Sullivan Street Bakery and Co. pizza restaura
Lisa
Apr 15, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food, non-fiction
I LOVE pizza and have been using Lahey's original pizza dough recipe (ww flour added to the mix) from My Bread since it was published. His crust is charred and bubbly and wonderful. It has the perfect ratio of crisp bite to interior chew. All other pizzas I've tried are inferior, including the one I had at local brick oven pizza place last night. Yes, I know this doesn't jive my normal "needs to be 100% whole grain/wheat" motto... The cat's out of the bag... I'm not perfect. ;) But this dough ro ...more
John
Jul 26, 2012 John rated it really liked it
For the past year every Sunday night in my house is pizza night. In that time I’ve moved on from frozen crusts to making my own, learning all about the process, experimenting with flour-to-water ratios, and playing around with different styles from New York to Sicilian. Judging from my family’s reactions I’ve gotten quite good at it, thanks in large part to constant reading on the art of pizza making.

I first read about Jim Lahey’s pizza this spring. Lahey, the owner of the Sullivan Street Bakery
Ilene
May 25, 2012 Ilene rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I have not tried the basic recipe that is provided for pizza dough but oh my does it look good and easy. I've just recently tried baking bread which came out pretty darn tasty so I think that this is perfect for my next baking challenge. Aside from the what looks to be simple recipe for the dough, there are 15 red pizzas, 14 white pizzas, 9 no sauce pizzas, a small assortment of toppings, soups and salads and a handful of desserts. The photos are beautiful but the beauty lies in the recipes. Eac ...more
Kimberly Ann
Feb 13, 2016 Kimberly Ann rated it really liked it
Wow, there is something here for everyone: equipment, ingredients, how to make oven adjustments, serving strategies. Then there are the recipes: Pizza dough foundations; Red Sauces; White Sauces; No sauce; Toppings; Toasts, soups, salads; & Desserts.

Poached artichokes; Broccoli rabe; Charcuterie (kraut & wurst); Leek & sausage; Fennel & sausage; Stracciatella; Margherita (No Tequila or lime in this one); Boscaiola (sausage & mushroom); Popeye (spinach), Birds nest (w/ egg); a
Christina
Aug 18, 2013 Christina rated it it was amazing
This book changed the way we make pizza. You need to plan a day ahead with the dough and use quality ingredients, but it's very little work and the pizza rivals the best pizza places in our town (which are REALLY good). There are some unusual ingredients that might be harder for some to obtain. We live in Germany and good fresh corn is actually the hardest for us. I was happily surprised to find his recipes included some rarities that I just happen to already have in my garden. There's a recipe ...more
Janice
Oct 22, 2011 Janice rated it it was amazing
If you have a desire to make pizza at home this is the book for you. Jim walks you through making your dough and sauce in simple steps and how to get the most from what ever type of oven your home has to create pizza that rivals anything you can find in a restaurant. What really sold me was the recipe for the Ham & Peas Pie - it reminds me of my younger years growing up as an Army brat when SOS was served for dinner (Sh*t on a Shingle), except Jim's recipe elevates that old standard to somet ...more
Leslie
Jan 21, 2012 Leslie rated it really liked it
I made pizza dough the weekend before reading this, it was delicious, but next time it will be even better and I won't knead. The recipes are clear, simple, and sound delicious. The emphasis is on using the freshest, best ingredients, which is what we all want to eat, but cannot always find. Attendant recipes like homemade ricotta, salads, and desserts could lead to a wonderful dinner party experience. This book would be a great addition to most public library collections and the home collection ...more
Deidre
Mar 03, 2012 Deidre rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This is not your average pizza cookbook. The fact that the dough requires an extra day of rising definitely sets it apart. Lahey's recipes are also unusual, some call for red sauce, some for a bechamel sauce and some for no sauce at all. Many of the recipes involve ingredients that may not be found at the local grocery store but this isn't your Tuesday night pizza, this is pizza you make on a weekend when you have the time to appreciate it. Lahey's sides, including an impressive list of soups an ...more
Deborah
Mar 20, 2012 Deborah rated it liked it
Oh my, oh my, oh my, I want to go to this guy's restaurant. I've used his method for baking bread many times and am looking forward to trying many of these recipes. Many are not your run-of-the-mill pizzas but that's what interests me - trying something different. The soups, salads and desserts look interesting too. Now I just have to figure out who to make it for - husband started a low carb diet. I'll figure out a way.
Meghan
Nov 24, 2014 Meghan rated it it was amazing
I knew that there were many ways to make pizza but some of these pizza topping combinations I never thought I would put together. The main part of pizza I always struggled with was the dough and this book really gives good tips and easy step-by-step guidance on nailing the perfect pizza dough. I can honestly say with this book, I finally have another option when pizzerias are closed as per #snowvember in Buffalo, NY. I most definitely recommend to at least take a look.
Naomi
Oct 10, 2011 Naomi rated it did not like it
I have reviewed this book for Netgalley. To be honest with the reader of this review, this isn't my favorite pizza cookbook. Although, I did find a dough recipe I would like to try, I found the greater majority of the recipes unuseful for the "regular" pizza eater or people with families. They were a bit more exotic than what you normally see in pizzas. Def. not a cookbook I would purchase...maybe take out of the library, but def. not purchase.
Mikhaela
Jan 17, 2014 Mikhaela rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
So I made the margherita pizza from this book last night and it was hands down the best pizza I've ever made, and the most popular with my family--the sauce and dough recipes from this book and his suggestions for how to cook and top the pizza took it to the next level.

But giving it four stars instead of five because he is so down on whole wheat and suggests you go no higher that 30%... would have been great to have a recipe that works well when at least 1/2 whole wheat.
Eric
Feb 22, 2015 Eric rated it really liked it
I suspect this is a very good cook book for experienced cooks who implicitly understand flavor profiles, the "finish" of an olive oil's "mouth feel," etc. And it contains a few handy ideas and recipes. It's not a good starting point, or a revolutionary theoretical work. It's just an (I suspect) very good cook book. Not what I was looking for, but judged by the standards it seems to have desired for itself, that's the best I can come up with.
Kat Creath
May 20, 2014 Kat Creath rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It is one of my staples that I use frequently and keep in the kitchen. The no-knead dough recipe is so incredibly simple. I mix it up in about 5 minutes the night before we want pizza (Sunday night is pizza night!) and it's ready to go the next day. We love, love, love the recipes for the toppings, as well. And, the chocolate chip cookie recipe...yes.
Juliana
Aug 01, 2016 Juliana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not my Speed

Although I love the no knead crust, I really just can't get with his toppings. And I really don't like not being able to buy the ingredients the recipes call for unless I order them from specialty stores -- and I don't even live in a small town. Your mileage may vary, but these pizzas, salads, and desserts just aren't my speed.
Anna
Jun 06, 2013 Anna rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Home Cooks and Foodies
As much as I appreciate the ease and convenience of going online for recipes, I still like to trek to the public library and pore through cook books and then transfer through typing the recipes to my hard drive. Recipes I copied from this book? Pizza dough. Fennel and Sausage Pie. Béchamel Sauce. Starter White Pie.
Claire
Jan 30, 2014 Claire rated it it was ok
I checked this out from the library, hoping to gain some inspiration for pizza night. I felt intimidated by the toppings and preparations...and the toppings were all a little out there, even for my family's adventurous tastes. Just ok, and glad I didn't buy it. Will have to look for another pizza cookbook.
Sarah Payne
Apr 27, 2014 Sarah Payne rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
My favorite pizza dough recipe so far. It's a riff on Lahey's famous "no-knead" bread dough recipe. Very easy to put together: no kneading, rises for 18 hours, a slightly sticky dough that is a bit tricky to shape, but totally worth it. This dough is chewy, tasty and stretches to just the right thickness.

I look forward to trying more recipes and pizza ideas.
Ashley
Apr 06, 2012 Ashley added it
Shelves: wishlist, food
After yet another fabulous pizza at Armsby Abbey, and myriad memories of delicious pizza in Rome (I would go back for the pizza alone), I need to develop my own system for pizza at home. Fantastic recipes for the pizza gourmande.
Mark
May 14, 2013 Mark rated it liked it
Nice selection of recipes and beautiful photos/helpful information, but chock full of hard-to-find ingredients. The main recipe for dough also assumes that you're going to be inhaling pizza like there's no tomorrow, with no way to scale it down.
Lifeisadance
Nov 16, 2014 Lifeisadance rated it it was amazing
Great reference book on making pizza from scratch. Pizza dough recipe is now my go to recipe when making dough. Lovely pictures and great variety of toppings for pizza. I have also made the pizza Bianca which was wonderful change from tomato based sauces.
JDAZDesigns
Jun 11, 2013 JDAZDesigns rated it liked it
Three stars because as a cookbook, it's good. I love pictures in a cookbook. This has 'em!

Not a book to buy, though. The pizza dough is the best and only recipe in the book. All the rest has been done before.

But great pictures.
Aspasia
May 11, 2012 Aspasia rated it really liked it
Wonderful and unusual toppings- just wish I had time to make the dough. Might read this again later when I'm in a dough-making mood.
Stephanie
Jan 18, 2013 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Great dough recipe. Great instructions for making pizza. Mine came out wonderful after reading this book.
Chely
Apr 10, 2012 Chely rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-cookbooks
I love how he tweeks his recipe just slightly from My Bread to produce this beautiful pizza crust.
Hope
Apr 06, 2014 Hope rated it really liked it
Delicious recipes, if you like Lahey's signature thin, crispy pizza crust--almost cracker-like crust.
Janet
Sep 05, 2012 Janet rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
Big fan of the author's easy but slow method for bread baking explored in his book "My Bread." This book follows the same method for one of my all time favorite foods, complete with yummy recipes.
  • Seasonal Fruit Desserts: From Orchard, Farm, and Market
  • Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza
  • The Mexican Slow Cooker: Recipes for Mole, Enchiladas, Carnitas, Chile Verde Pork, and More Favorites
  • La Tartine Gourmande: Gluten-Free Recipes for an Inspired Life
  • American Pie: My Search for the Perfect Pizza
  • Josey Baker Bread: Get Baking - Make Awesome Bread - Share the Loaves
  • Quinoa 365: The Everyday Superfood
  • Paletas: Authentic Recipes for Mexican Ice Pops, Shaved Ice & Aguas Frescas
  • Brassicas: Cooking the World's Healthiest Vegetables: Kale, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts and More
  • The Italian Baker
  • Fresh Food Fast: Delicious, Seasonal Vegetarian Meals in Under an Hour
  • Bean By Bean: A Cookbook: More than 175 Recipes for Fresh Beans, Dried Beans, Cool Beans, Hot Beans, Savory Beans, Even Sweet Beans!
  • Kneadlessly Simple: Fabulous, Fuss-Free, No-Knead Breads
  • Tartine Book No. 3
  • Good Meat: The Complete Guide to Sourcing and Cooking Sustainable Meat
  • Mission Street Food: Recipes and Ideas from an Improbable Restaurant
  • Raw Energy: 124 Raw Food Recipes for Energy Bars, Smoothies, and Other Snacks to Supercharge Your Body
  • Home Baking: The Artful Mix of Flour and Traditions from Around the World
Jim Lahey, the owner of Sullivan St Bakery, originally planned to spend his life as a sculptor. His passion for art and natural beauty took him to Italy, where he found a new medium for that sculptor's urge: bread. Inspired by the bakers of Tuscany and Rome, he returned to New York City determined that the "peasant" bread of the Italian countryside could find a home in America.

In 1994, he started