Start by marking “Devil's Hand” as Want to Read:
Devil's Hand

Devil's Hand (Drawing Thin)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  52 reviews
A Las Vegas poker ace with supernatural luck is swept into a world-ending conflict between fallen angels and otherworldly shades, in a thrilling debut novel for readers who enjoy Dean Koontz, Jim Butcher, and Tim Powers.

The lone survivor of a tragic plane crash, Trent Hawkins inherited a mysterious lucky streak that made him famous, and hated, in the poker circles of the C
Published August 1st 2011 by Digimonkey Studios (first published July 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Devil's Hand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Devil's Hand

Wendy Browne
I liked the way the book flowed, at least at the beginning. It had a smooth vibe that made you comfortable with the characters from the start and comfortable with their initial situation, which then smoothly transitioned from the normal to the supernatural. Once the plot was rolling, though I found things to be perhaps a bit too convenient - decisions too easily made - although I believe the author recognized this and always tried to ensure there were no loose ends.

Fallen angel/demon wars aren't
Kitty Bullard
Book Title: "Devil's Hand (Drawing Thin)"
Author: M.E. Patterson
Published By: Digimonkey Studios
Age Recommended: 18 +
Reviewed By: Kitty Bullard (Great Minds Think Aloud Literary Community)
Raven Rating: 5

Review: Usually when one thinks of Las Vegas the phrase, 'city of sin' comes to mind. But after reading this book by M.E. Patterson it is easy to see how that phrase doesn't cut it. In this phenomenal piece of work Matt Patterson has turned Las Vegas into hell itself. When Trent Hawkins and his wi
ReviewsByMolly
Nov 07, 2011 ReviewsByMolly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to ReviewsByMolly by: PumpUpYourBook
If you're a fan of horror thriller author Stephen King, you'll enjoy M.E. Patterson's work. Patterson's work will blow you away with his instantly captivating story line, characters that are lifelike and a page turning, roller coaster ride.

Trent Hawkins is a gambling man. He was the survivor in a terrible plane crash, the left him full of powerful gambling luck. Until he became a VERY disliked man among Vegas. But, after time, he and his wife returned to Vegas,and along the way, they experience
Krystal

This book is guaranteed to keep the reader on his/her toes. There is constant action and excitement with some undercurrents of menace when the antagonists come in. Trent is the main character, he is surprisingly likable, the reader will have no trouble connecting to him. The reader will learn a little bit about Trent's background in the beginning of the novel, then get to know him better further in.

Trent and his wife return after being run out of Las Vegas...and they walk right into trouble. Th
Billy Vincent
It almost sounds like the beginning of a bad joke. An ex-pocker player, a nurse, a homeless guy, and numerous angels and demons walk into Las Vegas. But it's no joke. It's M.E. Patterson's first novel.

Trent Hawkins, Luckiest Man In The World, returns to Vegas after being blacklisted several years earlier. He and his wife get caught up in a plot to bring about a prophecy.

I chose this book primarily because its setting is Las Vegas. My wife and I have been there twice. Patterson describes it in al
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
I read this one with my 2 reading buddies Kerry and Doreen. I might be the only one who liked it. This book started off very strong and I thought it was going to get better as I read on. There were some parts that I found to be confusing but overall I enjoyed the storyline. I loved the demon-angel element the story had. AND YES i actually thought the spider thing was pretty cool! I will be reading the second book to this!
Amber
This was a really great book to read, so if anyone enjoys a book about good and evil and the complexities between the two; this book just might be for you!I closed the book, hoping and praying that he will continue this story and turn it into a series. It would totally be worth it! :)
Angelica
In short, I loved the book and hope there will be more to follow. Only thing that became a pet peeve during reading was the overuse of the word: cacophony. Each time I read that word it drove me bonkers.
Heavensent1
Devil's Hand is a Supernatural Occult Thriller.

Trent Hawkins is the "luckiest man alive", especially after he falls out of an airplane and is the only survivor of a horrific plane crash. He has been blacklisted from Las Vegas as his uncanny knack at cards has casino owners looking at him with suspicion and bad luck seems to follow those who are around him.

When Trent's wife, Susan, is given a job at the Children's Hospital in Las Vegas, they move back with great trepidation. Trent doesn't know if
Donna
From the beginning you are drawn into the world he has created. If you like stories with suspense, horror, non stop action and likable heroes you will love this book. For a debut novel it is amazingly well done. You would think he had been publishing for years.

The story drew me in from the beginning and didnt let me go until it was over. Trent is a surprisingly likeable hero that has an uncanny kind of luck. However as he learn more and more, all start to question what kind of luck is it really.
Norma
Trent Hawkins is the only survivor of a tragic plane crash. After the crash, he mysteriously began a streak of luck that made him famous, then hated in the Las Vegas poker circles. Before long he’s cast out and blacklisted. After leaving town for several years, he comes back when his wife is offered a job at a hospital.

They aren’t even to their new home before trouble starts. Softball sized hail, fish raining from the sky… why the heck didn’t they turn around and RUN? I would have.

The next day,
April
Full of twists, turns and unexpected surprises, Devil's Hand is not for the easily creeped out or easily frightened!

When I began Devil's Hand, I was quickly pulled into the story of Trent - felt great emotions for his loses, heartsick for his traumas and seemingly endless setbacks. Even though he has been deemed as the "world's luckiest man"; his life takes a turn for the nightmarishly worst.

Devil's Hand is full of otherworldly wickedness, demons and fights of good and evil and everything in-bet
Supernatural Book Club
Devil's Hand grabbed me early on and drew me in with a rousing mixture of action, horror, and mystery. The vividly described action sequences are fast paced and compelling. The supernatural creatures that Trent, Susan and Celia encounter are awesome, particularly the Render. The horrific situations are frightening and realistic without being overly gory or distasteful. Elements of mystery are intricately woven throughout the book and are well thought out and intriguing. It's obvious Patterson di ...more
Mary
My Opinion:
I really liked this book. The first few chapters were dry. I liked Trent and his wife Susan. I felt they were a good mix. I also liked how the characters developed in the book. There were some great scenes in this and a few disturbing ones also. All in all it made for a good read. This book had its ups and downs and after the first few chapters it grabbed you.

Trent is a poker player and he attributes his luck to being the only survivor of a plane crash. It’s not till later in the book
Jen Bailey Bergen
I'm fickle. I'll tell you that right up front. I go through phases where all I want is one particular kind of thing, and lots of it. Maybe that's single-ply wool yarn for knitting, maybe that's coconut oil, maybe that's pumpkin pie flavors, or maybe little cartoonish owls. That's how I am, and it's how I am about books, too. For a long while, the only thing I really wanted to read was non-fiction. And then I decided to test the murky waters of books my friends were reading which turned out to be ...more
wally
reading this one on the kindle...saw an ad somewhere...facebook? somewhere. looked interesting...time will tell

okay, so good start...a few problems...(i'm up to chapter 6 or section 6)...there's like this simile/metaphor that ....something is "like the puke-stained parking lot in front of a strip club."

well now you may never have been to a strip club...how many of us are there?...and i confess it's been awhile for me...last time i was there i ate a marshmellow out of a belly-button, charred brow
Leslie (Working for the Mandroid)
4.5 stars - full review at Working for the Mandroid

Trent is your standard fallen hero, except midway through the book you suddenly realize he’s turned into an awesome badass. As the unofficial guardian of the weird teenage girl who is being chased after by the big bad, he’s dropped into the middle of all the crazy and he rises to the occasion. Trent starts off as an unemployable, pathetic mess, who loves his wife but doesn’t have much else going for him. The change into a hero is subtle and happ
Eric
M. E. Patterson appeared on my radar completely by happenstance. He was one of those random Twitter adds that you can never remember after the fact. Either he added me based on the other people I follow, or I saw him mentioned in a Twitter post and checked his profile out myself. I was immediately intrigued by the description of his first novel, The Devil's Hand. I used to play a bit of online poker for real money, and was actually beating the game. So an Urban Fantasy novel where the protagonis ...more
Rob Blackwell
Ever have that feeling when you pick up a book and within a few chapters, you know exactly how it's going to play out? I hate that feeling, and I didn't have it once while I read "Devil's Hand" by M.E. Patterson.
Honestly, it's hard to surprise me in a supernatural thriller anymore, which typically fall back on the same bad clichés to move the narrative forward and have characters that feel like they are bought from the same store.
But "Devil's Hand" is totally unique. Part paranormal suspense, pa
Leo Stableford
There was a point at which I stopped going into bookshops to look for books. The reason why was that no publisher was putting out stuff like Devil's Hand. I don't know if things have changed. I guess they haven't, people keep drawing comparisons in the places I've looked between this and the Dresden Files. If you're going to say that if you liked Dresden then you'll probably like this people would be right. If you want to say the two things have much in common, then you'd be far less right.

Devil
Dan Wright
Trent is supposedly the luckiest man alive – having survived a plane crash that killed many people. From then on, Trent’s had a string of amazingly good luck – especially on the poker table, which gained him the hatred of many casinos. Returning back to Las Vegas to start afresh with his wife, he’s soon confronted with a horrifying blizzard, shadow demons, an absolutely terrifying supernatural serial killer and an army of angels that are hell bent on (what else) destroying mankind.

Maybe moving b
J.F. Penn
Las Vegas is one of those resonant places where you think there must be a thin line between heaven and hell, and this book portrays it in all it's sinister colours. From the opening hail storm and rain of fish, to the gathering snowstorm and ruin of the city, the weather plays a huge part in the story, summoned by demons who we see revealed as the book opens. I enjoyed Trent's journey from the luckiest man alive down on his luck to the Doom bringer who must save the city, and the young girl who ...more
Pat
It's unbelievable that Devil's Hand is the first supernatural thriller for this extremely talented author. We follow Trent Hawkins, a poker player and plane crash survivor on an edge of your seat journey full of twists and turns with many surprises on the way. Set in Las Vegas, where a serial killer is terrorising the city, Trent and Susan, his wife, rescue a thirteen year old girl- and so it all begins. We meet some amazing characters, Demons, Angels, shadow monsters and then there is a terrify ...more
Ami
Angels vs. demons in Las Vegas should be up to my alley. I enjoy the whole concept. Alas, this one doesn't impress me much. I don't know why I can't get into it, although I admit the first chapter is totally creeps me out (rains of fishes and bloods?!? shudder). Maybe I'm just not in the right mood. Maybe I should read this again some other time. But for this time, I can only give it a so-so 3 stars. Hey, at least I get it for $0.99 on Amazon Kindle Store ;)

Please note that this is totally a per
Rhett Petcher
Throw fallen angels, the world's luckiest man, and a gigantic blizzard into loss Vegas and what do you get? A very entertaining first novel by M.E. Patterson. I found the book to be a page turner that (unlike many others) didn't skmip on the characterization or details. Patterson expertly layers his take on fallen angels onto a realistically rendered Las Vegas in a way that keeps you turning the pages and which ultimately results in a very good supernateral thriller. The book keeps you guessing, ...more
David
This was a high concept piece, attempting to re-write Xtian myth/religion, but it never does take, this reader, to a new and unusual place. Though the excursion was amusing. There was a lot in this book of Neil Gaiman (specifically 'American Gods') and Supernatural (the TV series) but even with all that I enjoyed the book--nice bit of Indie fiction and for the price you can't go wrong.

If you like high concept fiction which does not offer too many plot challengers or a close interrogation of Xti
Chris Valentine
As a huge fan of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, I immediately jumped at the opportunity to read Devil's Hand. If you're into contemporary science fiction & enjoy a bit of a thriller, this is definitely a must-read. With everything from poker-playing demons to blizzards in Las Vegas, Devil's Hand is a masterpiece & I can't wait for the sequel. Mr.Patterson is an incredibly gifted author and judging by the standard of his debut release, he is bound to become a huge name in his genre & in ...more
Beth
Originally published at Beth's Book Reviews.

Received for review.

This was frankly quite unusual. The story was a bit complex (religion plus Vegas) but it was quite well written with a nice flow. I didn't particularly care for or about the characters as individuals but they served their purposes well.

Overall this relatively quick read is a solid start to the author's promising career and I recommend it to those looking for something a bit different. I look forward to reading future releases by the
Alan
Too many times I've bought a book because of a recommendation or because of the blurb on the back of the book and I've been disappointed - but not this time. From the start I was utterly gripped and couldn't put the book down - something I can't say for every book I've read and I've read hundreds of books. The main protagonist and the situation he found himself in was intriguing. A thoroughly enjoyable novel with many colourful characters and an interesting plot - I'll definitely be buying the n ...more
Peter
Trent Hawkins is the lone survivor of a plane crash. After the plane crash, Trent has this ability of not loosing at cards. He luck is so good that he is blacklisted from all the casino's on the Vegas strip. A few years later Trent is returning to Las Vegas with his wife Susan. Susan has landed a job at a children's hospital out there and Trent goes along for support. Trent and Susan rescue this thirteen year old girl name Celia and this is where everything starts. Trent enter into a world where ...more
  • Flaming Dove
  • Demon's Night (Jason Dark, #1)
  • Bad Radio (Emergent Earth, #1)
  • A Soul to Steal (The Sanheim Chronicles, #1)
  • The Dark Path
  • Voice
  • High Moor
  • Anything Can Be Dangerous
  • Darker Things (The Lockman Chronicles, #1)
  • The Takers (The Oz Chronicles, #1)
  • Paskagankee (Paskagankee, #1)
  • Ancient Awakening
  • Nephilim
  • Shudderville
  • Ghost Box: Six Supernatural Thrillers
  • Goddess of the Moon (Diana Racine #2)
  • Cry for the Moon (The Last Werewolf Hunter, #1)
  • Dead Mann Walking (Hessius Mann #1)
M. E. Patterson is an author and information technologist. His tales span the gamut from horror to fantasy to sci-fi. He lives with a geochemist and a dog in the Texas Hill Country.
More about M.E. Patterson...
Burning Cards (Drawing Thin, #2) Song and Signal