Start by marking “Superheroes” as Want to Read:
Superheroes

Superheroes (Amelia Rules! #3)

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  356 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Superheroes take flight in the third volume in the comics sensation Amelia Rules!—now repackaged as a hardcover!

Meet Amelia Louise McBride. She’s been forced to move out of Manhattan after her parents decided to get divorced, and is now living in a small town (who cares which one) with her mom and her aunt, Tanner. Not to mention the fact that she’s
Published October 4th 2011 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Superheroes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Superheroes

Patrice Sartor
I gave the first Amelia graphic novel 2 stars, and with that, I figured I was done with the Amelia books. Trevor (10) liked the first one reasonably well, and I got at least five more of them transferred to our local library for *his* reading pleasure. Still, I didn't expect him to approach me, title in hand, and say "I think you might like this one. It made me tear up at the end." OK, how can I resist THAT? Trevor knows I am a softie, and will cry at heart-string pulling, non-eye-rolling commer ...more
Alex Murphy
Amazing and cleaver this book was a total random book sale buy and I seriously can't wait to find the others. This is how you write a children's graphic novel Yolan take notes. I didn't expect this to make me weep like a baby but wow that ending, heartrendingly amazing.

My only complaint is that these kids are supposed to be fourth graders to fifth grade age, when honestly should have been sixth to seventh. That way the vocabulary and topics would be more on par with who is able to read this ser
Dolly
Jul 19, 2014 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: older children who enjoy reading graphic novels
This is the third book in the Amelia Rules! series by Jimmy Gownley. We recently discovered this series and our girls just love it - they will argue over who gets to read the books first. They are really into reading graphic novels right now and we all love that it features a strong female main character who has other strong women in her life.

The book is broken up into six short stories that are consecutive in time and show how the friends' relationship develops and changes over time and introd
Brandy
There simply aren't enough good words in the English language to describe this book. It's been compared to Peanuts more times than I can count, and if you're just looking at the cuteness of it, I can understand that--it does have a moderately Peanutsy look. But where this story really shines is in the emotional content. Gownley's biggest strength is his ability to portray situations with all the gravity they have to a 10-year-old. A situation that doesn't merit much thinking about to an adult, b ...more
Neo'sha
I absolutely loved this! This was the second one that I've read and I love the storyline and the characters. It brings back the memories that I have of elementary school. There was a couple of twists and turns where I wasn't sure what would happen to Amelia and Trishia, but I loved that it gives the readers a glimpse into the future. Awesome!! A book for all ages :)
Chris Hays
This is like a female 'Calvin' from the Watterson days. The beautiful difference is that you get a completely fleshed out story. To an adult the 'danger' or choices might seem small, but for pre-teens they hit the target. Recommended to any 4-6 grade teacher who can figure out how to display the art while using this as a read a-loud.
Emily
Summary (Worldcat): Amelia McBride has to face even more changes. Her beloved she's moving again, her new friend Trish is hiding a terrible secret, and superhero-wannabe Reggie has vowed to destroy the evil Legion of Steves.

Review: This book is great fun and a great introduction to graphic novels. The medium is skillfully used to alternate character view point, to change tone, and even for parody. The characters are loveable and dynamic. The story line is dramatic but feel very authentic as well
Ashley
Ten year old Amelia Louise McBride is getting used to living in a small town. Sure, it was hard to leave New York after her parents decided to get divorced. But now that she's got her friends Reggie, Rhonda, and Pajamaman, she's starting to feel like things just might be okay. That is, until her mom drops the bomb that they might be moving again - across town, to a new school district. Can things get any worse for Amelia?
When Amelia meets her new friend Trish and learns about the terrible secre
Saviourofmusic
I started reading these when I was 13 and I still love them. They remind me of being a little kid again and are funny while have serious messages. Amelia is a great character: she's precocious and really a bit of a smart-Alec, but understanding and sensitive. Tanner is like a rockstar Yoda in a belly-showing shirt. Amelia's friends are unique and funny in every way. Her parents are kind and nurturing, without being totally perfect. These books charming and heartwarming, with beautiful artwork. I ...more
Mike Rhode
I've been enjoying this series a lot. The Miracleman parody was quite funny.
Mel
it was sad and funny at the same time
Liam Johnson
I thought it was hilarious!
Kathy
Amelia Rules! graphic novels always make me happy! The characters are wonderful, as is the presentation. Amelia shows life thru the eyes of a 10 year old girl with all its ups & downs. This one had more downs then usual, but still enough light-hearted moments to round it off nicely. Her collection of friends add different view points, as does her Aunt Tanner. Everyone should have a Tanner in their lives.
Dana *
These books are helping transition my daughter to self reading instead of being read to. The stories are a bit more complex than in chapter books, and the illustrations help her apply inflection to her reading also.

Amelia is a many faceted character and a relatable child. I would recommend this for girls aged 7-11.
Shelley
I'm sure I've read this one before, but it's feeling new. The Phondapunzel silent movie fantasy had me laughing out loud (I just knew that a handsome prince would come save me! You are a prince, right? (Well, my Dad has most of his albums.) Close enough!), and I just love the balance of humor and darkness in this series.
Molly
This is going to be a great book to give to a child going through a divorce. I am touched by Amelia and her friends. They are funny (especially in their superhero costumes) but they also are real. I went from laughing to almost crying. The characters are real and their lives are much like many childrens. grades 4+
Cassidy
I read this for a contest at the library. I have never read a graphic novel before, so it was fun to try a new genre. I probably won't read another one. But when I was picking it out, many boys around the age of 10 were checking them out and I think this genre would be perfect for that age group!
Rachel
A great graphic novel for ages 7 and up. Funny and touching, this book covers such topics as childhood crushes, divorce, moving, illness. A great read for older kids and for adults who want to remember what it was like to be a kid trying to navigate through this often confusing world.
T
It's official. I'm hooked. I'm no longer pretending to read this for my some-day middle years students. And I *may* just have a wee crush on Tanner. *hip checks Reggie out of the way* Another amazingly crafted story with two excellent arcs that are sure to leave you in tears.
Jeff Raymond
I've talked about how this series has a lot of heart and a lot going for it, and this installment in particular really stepped it up in a heart-wrenching and heartwarming way. Absolutely wonderful. Just excellent.
Raina
First full-length story in the Amelia Rules! world. Centering on new friends Amelia makes when she start frequenting a new neighborhood. I love the adult characters in this series.
Rory
May 12, 2007 Rory rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who dig graphic novels and used to love "Ramona" books
i feel like i should have liked this more...maybe i'm really not a huge fan of graphic novels, generally. maybe because they're hard to skim?
Poppy
I read this with my daughter. She loves these books. This is the third in the series and I think it is the best one I've read so far!
Suzan
Alyssa (The Shady Glade)
Always enjoy these books. This one wasn't *quite* as good as the previous too, but I did still enjoy reading it.
Kari
6 year old "This was actually really fun...when this kid was defeating his mom's boyfriend named Steve."
Beck
I think the way Gownley illustrates is just so clever. Plot, words, pictures, everything...loved it.
Rachel
I adore these books, and this one, though heavy in topic, is probably my favorite.
luis gomez
I think this is a really great and funny book. you can learn how to face your fears
Erin
GN FIC GOW; Graphic Novel; Humour; New Schools; Friendship; Setp.18/12
  • Babymouse: The Musical (Babymouse, #10)
  • Tower of Treasure (Three Thieves, #1)
  • Salt Water Taffy, vol. 1: The Legend of Old Salty
  • The Silver Six
  • The Return of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #3)
  • Explorer 2: The Lost Islands
  • Spiral-Bound: Top Secret Summer
  • The Baby-Sitters Club: Mary Anne Saves the Day (Baby-Sitters Club Graphic Novels, #3)
  • Athena: Grey-Eyed Goddess (Olympians, #2)
  • Owly, Vol. 4:  A Time to Be Brave
  • The Dragon Players (Knights Of The Lunch Table, #2)
  • Magic Pickle
  • Mal and Chad: The Biggest, Bestest Time Ever! (Mal and Chad, #1)
  • How Mirka Met a Meteorite (Hereville #2)
  • Astronaut Academy: Zero Gravity
Jimmy Gownley is the author and illustrator of the Amelia Rules! series of graphic novels, as well as the upcoming memoir The Dumbest Idea Ever!.

He has been nominated for 13 Eisner awards and 6 Harvey awards. His book Superheroes won the 2006 Cybil Award for best graphic novel for kids 12 and under.

Jimmy is also the co-creator of the web comic Gracieland.

He lives in Pennsylvania.
More about Jimmy Gownley...
Amelia Rules! Volume 1: The Whole World's Crazy (Amelia Rules! #1) The Dumbest Idea Ever! Amelia Rules! Volume 2: What Makes You Happy (Amelia Rules! #2) Amelia Rules! Volume 5: The Tweenage Guide to Not Being Unpopular (Amelia Rules! #5) Amelia Rules! Volume 4: When the Past is a Present (Amelia Rules! #4)