Start by marking “The Templar Cross (Templar, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Templar Cross (Templar, #2)

The Templar Cross (Templar #2)

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  1,474 Ratings  ·  82 Reviews
The Templar Cross is the second in the Paul Christopher's John Holliday series.

Some secrets are too great to bear...

Army Ranger Lt. Col. John 'Doc' Holliday is teaching at West Point when he receives desperate news. His niece Peggy has been kidnapped while joining an ancient tomb excavation in Egypt.

Holliday immediately sets out to locate and rescue her. But Peggy's capto
Published July 21st 2011 by Penguin (first published November 9th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Templar Cross, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Templar Cross

Matt
May 08, 2010 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Warning: I am extremely biased towards books that have history, the army, and treasure hunts! These books will almost always get 4 stars from me because they allow me to escape the middle east where I'm currently stationed and follow a fictional character on an Indiana Jones type adventure! Books like these are my addiction.

I found this one on a shelf in a restaurant on base. I am a sucker for anything having to do with historic fiction and action. Add the Templar's and anything that remotely r
Pamela
“. . .part fear, part anticipation and part rising bloodlust. It always surprised him that he felt so comfortable with the desperate feeling deep in his gut, and every now and again he wondered if there was a pathological need for it with soldiers – junkies for battle and the dangerous game of jousting with death.”

Yes!!! As hoped for, Paul Christopher delivered . . . raising the bar in thrilling, captivating abundance!

“Faraj laughed, racing through the traffic, careening side to side like a wil
Alissa
Jun 24, 2012 Alissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have to be honest, I gave the first Templar book 5 stars because I absolutely loved it. This book was sorely lacking in historical content, and I don't know where the series is headed at this point. I will continue to read the series, but if the next book is more like this one than the first one. I probably won't read the rest.
Matt
Jul 28, 2011 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Christopher continues his great Templar series with this installment that sees Holiday head out in search of his niece. While this is the underlying plot, the theme of the book is a new world travel thriller.

Christopher uses his characters and storyline to explore the vast edges of the world, all with the Templar thread woven through experiences and historical happenstance. I quite enjoyed learning all about the various parts of the world., bth those that pertain to the Templars and the German a
Speesh
Jan 28, 2016 Speesh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Army Ranger Lt. Col. John ‘Doc’ Holliday is teaching at West Point when he receives desperate news, his niece Peggy has been kidnapped while joining an ancient tomb excavation in Egypt.

Holliday immediately sets out to locate and rescue her, but Peggy’s captors belong to The Brotherhood of the Temple of Isis - murderous fanatics who worship a dead god.

A trail of clues sends Holliday deep into Africa and into the heart of a conspiracy involving an ancient Egyptian legend and the darkest secrets of
Haitch
Jun 11, 2012 Haitch rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
***written on my phone and though I'm not entirely sure what I've put contains "spoilers" just a heads up just in case as I can't see the spoiler button***

So I gave this book 2 stars for that fact it was a quick and easy read - something for the train etc when its harder to concentrate.

The book should have been called something completely different as there is absolutely no mention of a templar cross and when a cross is mentioned in the last 3 pages it still isn't called a templar cross specific
Pat
Sep 16, 2016 Pat rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I read two other Templar books by Paul Christopher. They were interesting and a good read.
This book took me a long time to finish because I would read then put it down.
Michael Smith
Sep 21, 2011 Michael Smith rated it liked it
The story began well with great anticipation but the ending left me feeling unsatisfied, if not bemused. I don’t particularly like ancient history stories, but I could have thoroughly enjoyed THE TEMPLAR CROSS had Paul Christopher given the reader the opportunity to live the ordeal Peggy went through in captive.

Even if the Kidnappers (Brotherhood of the Temple of Isis) took Peggy captive in a bid to get to Holliday, I still wanted to know how she handled herself being a kidnapped victim. What wa
Aline
Aug 29, 2015 Aline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love historical fiction, and this book did not disappoint! Written using Scottish and archaic English to tell the story was perfect......putting me mentally in Scotland in the 1400's right from the start. I had never read anything written by this author but you can bet that he is on my "favorites" list now! The author had that wonderful ability to make me feel like I was walking the streets of Perth with Sir Law! Though there were a number of characters, each was well developed and, by the end ...more
Lisa Lap
I think not reading the previous books in this series (which I didn't realize it was a series) is what first had me thinking I made a mistake in giving this book a try. There quite a few references to things that had happened before, and the more I read the more I realized the earlier books is where the real Templar mysteries unfolded. The references for the Dan Brown books kept me hopeful that this story would eventually draw me in to the intrigue and history, but unfortunately it didn't. At tw ...more
Bryan
Sep 16, 2013 Bryan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Part two of the Templar series finds Doc Holliday on a mission to locate his missing niece with the help of her fiance, historian Rafi Wanounou. Again, this book has a sort of Bourne Identity feel to it, as Doc and Rafi travel around on their quest.

To be honest, there is very little Templar stuff in this book, and the 'Templar cross' only shows up at the end, which by the way is lifted from Ian Fleming's 'From Russia With Love'.

Again, Doc does more reacting than acting, which is frustrating in a
Dec 21, 2014 Sarah rated it it was ok
I hadn’t realised that this was book two in a series until I started reading it but I don’t think it would have made that much of a difference had I known. I usually love these kinds of books. I’m not a snob who turns her nose up at anything that even hints at a Dan Brown-esque plot but this book felt like it was merely going through the motions. There was nothing wrong with the writing, technically, there were no major errors or anything but there was no soul. It felt formulaic in the most cyni ...more
Tommy
Sep 03, 2010 Tommy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good read from this author. However, I was a bit disappointed in the ending. It sort of ended very tamely instead of a big exciting conclusion. I think the author was setting up his next book with a teaser at the end. I also was a bit disappointed in that the title, "The Templer Cross" was a bit misleading. The majority of the story had nothing to do with the Templars. I wasn't until the last chapter that the title became significant. I will still continue to read his future books, espec ...more
Robert
Mar 18, 2015 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For as much research and travel he must have done his corney and hokey commentary between his protagonist and supporting cast gets old. Way too many nostalgic references to Hollywood or famous actors. He would get 4 stars if he just stopped with cornball. Maybe teenagers and young adults eat it up, but it gets old. This book had little to do with a Templar Cross yet he hijacked the Templar name. I enjoyed the book, but he leaves gaps in the story where he jumps around. This could have been a 2 s ...more
Nicko
Aug 02, 2010 Nicko rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Paul Christopher is an interesting author. Either he does not believe that his characters spew out almost on reflex or he is truly an anti-American, anti-Catholic, Dan Brown-hating individual.

The Templar Cross is an easy read but it falls short of a Good Story. While Holliday and Rafi spend nearly the entire book looking for the main character's cousin the actual "Templar Cross" is not revealed until the final couple of pages, only to be explored on his next book "The Templar Throne".

Good only t
Melissa
Jun 13, 2012 Melissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, ebay
For the second book in a series of Six it wasn't too bad. The including of Imhotep peaked my interest but the lack of Templars upset me. I ruined it for myself but reading Book 4 out of order so I knew which characters were going to survive. But with all that being said I still enjoyed the book. It took me a bit longer to read than the first but I had traveled and done other things and not read it non-stop.
Donna Fowler
I was a tad bit disappointed in this the second book of the series. The author never seemed to flesh out his characters and the plot was positively thin. I so enjoyed the first book but felt the author was trying to fulfill contract obligations on this one and not keep building the series in quality and entertainment. I will read the next in the series but if it is like this one I probably will not continue the series.
Randal Martin
Meh. Not nearly as well written as the first book in the series. The plot was disjointed and very difficult to follow.

This series always amazes me with how many dead bodies the main character leaves behind, yet he is still free to fly back and forth between the US and Europe under his own name. He is then able to travel all over Europe without any hindrances. This rates pretty low on the believability scale
Jen
Apr 12, 2011 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
a very easy read. the historical fiction is again, used to suck in military/history lovers. other than that, this could easily be a romance novel. the plot devices are so gimmicky as to leave the reader wondering - is christopher serious? are they *really* riding out of town on the orient express, with murders occuring on the train? disappointing. good historical adventure writing is hard to find. this was not it.
RumBelle
Jan 15, 2016 RumBelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
A solid continuation to the series. This installment focused on an Egyptian version of the Templars, an idea which I found extremely intriguing. I love the historical framework to these novels. It like getting the worlds most interesting history lesson. Lots of action, great dialogue. Cannot wait to continue with the books.
Scott Nichols
As a sequel to The Templar Sword, this book is somewhat flat. While the first book in the series was more pulp fictionish, this one tries to take off running, but is just sort of slow and drags along even though gun chases and other action events ensue...they just are not written very in a way that made me want to savor any of it.

Karen Azinger
Dec 04, 2012 Karen Azinger rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I bought the first two books of this saga at the same time, otherwise I would not have read the second. Since I bought it, I read it, and it was worse from the first. I found the ending particularly offensive since it is a direct lift from Ian Fleming's "From Russia with Love". Shame on the author, the editor, and the publisher for such a blatant steal.
Michael Mclean
good action book,
I am a Freemason and Templer,
I like the fast pace, the book has a momentum and is easy to pick up when I need to put it down.
I read at work, and have to stop reading to do my job from time to time.
I started with this book, but I want to read the 1st in the series,(this is book 2)
worth the time to read...
Chuck Springer
If you are looking for a book on Knights Templar, you will not find it in this novel. While this is the second book in the series, it does well with staying true to the historical fiction genre. Always a good time mixing fact with fiction, half the fun is figuring out which is which!
Stephen
Apr 18, 2012 Stephen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've liked this series since it came out. This book deals with a new Templar treasure, Peggy going missing, and now she apparently has a fiancee. Is it standard Templar chase story fiction? Yes. Is it a fun read? Definitely.
Beryl Thompson
Jan 20, 2017 Beryl Thompson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An adventure and a half from beginning to end

I really enjoyed this book from the moment I started it. I was sorry that it was not longer but I have the next book in the series to look forward to.
Chichi
This book would have been ok without the 'Templar cross' title. I had the feeling that there was a book before this one Because I really didn't connect with the characters. I enjoyed it towards the end. Maybe I'll look for the first book with the characters and read from there.
Barry Reynolds
this book has well developed characters and paul christopher has a knack of drawing you into the story because of his very discriptive style of the characters involved and the places they go to. a lot of research has gone into this book and it shows on every page. this book is well worth reading.
Pia
Dec 19, 2012 Pia rated it did not like it
I just couldn't get into this book. I used to love the theme of templars, but somehow I couldn't get past the first 50 pages. I'll try again, but for now I'll just stop here. Perhaps it would be easier if I had known this is the second book. I had no idea. :(
Jo
More adventure with 'Doc' Holliday and his niece Peggy. This time they're on the trail of missing Nazi gold and once again running from the corrupt Catholic church. Decent fun although not as good as the first one.
  • The Messiah Secret (Chris Bronson, #3)
  • The Dakota Cipher (Ethan Gage, #3)
  • The Tiger Warrior (Jack Howard, #4)
  • Sword of God (Payne & Jones, #3)
  • The Lost Temple
  • The Genesis Plague
  • The Devil's Elixir (Templar, #3)
  • The Pegasus Secret (Lang Reilly #1)
  • The Atlantis Code (Thomas Lourds, #1)
  • The Black Sun (Tom Kirk, #2)
  • The Atlantis Revelation (Conrad Yeats Adventure, #3)
  • The Deceit
  • On the Fifth Day (Thomas Knight, #1)
  • The Hidden Oasis
Paul Christopher is a pseudonym used by the author Christopher Hyde.

More about Paul Christopher...

Templar (9 books)
  • The Sword Of The Templars (Templar, #1)
  • The Templar Throne (Templar, #3)
  • The Templar Conspiracy (Templar, #4)
  • The Templar Legion (Templar, #5)
  • Red Templar (Templar, #6)
  • Valley Of The Templars (Templar, #7)
  • Lost City of the Templars (Templar, #8)
  • Secret of the Templars (Templar, #9)