Start by marking “Seedy Business (HardCell, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Seedy Business (HardCell, #0.5)

Seedy Business (Hot Summer Days)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  355 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Free novelette written for the M/M Romance group's "Hot Summer Days" event.

----------
Revenge can get sticky.
This prequel to Grown Men* is a crazy sci-fi short about sperm piracy and sibling rivalry gone seriously wrong.
When corporate mercenary Beirn agrees to a sleazy organ harvest job, he walks straight into his worst nightmare, a trap set by the twin brother he betrayed.
ebook, Online Fiction
Published July 24th 2011 by M/M Romance Group @ Goodreads

To ask other readers questions about Seedy Business, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seedy Business

Emanuela ~plastic duck~
This is a bold, funny, creative short story set in the same world of Grown Men and it sheds some light on what happens to the protagonist of that story, Ox.

In this short, Ox's twin brother, Beirn, is on a mission to rescue is brother after having practically sold him to a sperm harvester. When he arrives to the place where his brother is held, it's too late: Ox has managed to escape and has built a trap for Beirn and his accomplice Zed.

The protagonists of this story are anti-heroes: the giant Be
Heather C
Um...eewwwwwwww!!!! This was unique...and gross. Although I am interested in reading the sequel
Jane Stewart
Funny, weird, whacko. I was laughing out loud several times. This has explicit erotic gay male sex.

A sperm pirate kidnapped or somehow obtained donors (victims). They are strapped down with machines feeding them drugs and milking them every two hours. Beirn is sneaking up on the place, planning to free his brother Ox. I’ve never read anything like this. I loved the set up and the author’s creative and funny body part terms.

The negatives:
The relationship between the two guys was too vague. I want
Neyjour
I really enjoyed this one! Definitely one of my fave stories posted so far! :)

Fantastic world-building, terrific characters, and I absolutely loved the humour, writing style, and dialogue (especially Beirn's internal thoughts)! It was such a page-turner, and I was so sad to see it end.

Can we get a sequel? Please, please?! :D I would love a continuation of their story/adventures, and my inner-kink is dying to know what else these two could get up to "between the sheets". Oh, the possibilities! Ha
Sienna Sway
I wanted to be squicked out by the over load of details that you don't often get in m/m fiction, but it was just too amazing. I loved every moment of it. I can honestly say that this is one of the most unique stories that I have read and it was so well rounded that it felt like a definite possibility that this is what the future could be like. The characters were just as unusual and disturbed as their environment, and the story altogether was something I'd love to read more of.
Fangtasia
Excellent world-building, characters you start out hating and end up loving, laugh-out-loud phrases and comments on every single page. All in a short-story.

"Seedy Business" achieves what the majority of full length novels only aspire to. I understand there's another related story and cannot wait to read it.
SueM
Audrey
Very creative storytelling and characterization. In terms of the "I liked it" aspect of romance ratings, I'd probably give it more of a 3-3.5 because I did like the romance - just did not "really like" or "love" it. The unique world, the strong characters, and the inner torment of the not-so-nice-guy (and not-so-gay -- or so he thinks) narrator that the author fit into a ~40 page story, though, are mighty impressive.

This story is available for FREE as part of the M/M Romance group's "Don't Read
Wendy Ann
Huh, I was actually rendered kind of speechless (temporarily) and that's a minor miracle as well as a compliment! ;) I'm very impressed with the level of world building packed into this short story - amazing creativity and imagination. But more impressive even, is the fact that I was actually kind of rooting for these guys when I really just wanted to hate them - skillz, man! And to think Beirn has a twin? *whoa* Kudos on one of the most unique and original stories I've read. Great job, Damon. T ...more
Liz
This prequel will ‘spoil’ some of the character discoveries of `Grown Men’ and I recommend that it be read second in this series. I avidly read early Sci-Fi pulp fiction in the ‘70’s and watched it develop into a highly respected genre. Suede can stand head high with the science fiction greats as his world crafting is second to none. Subtle turns of phrase in both books gives indelible strength to this alternate future; like David Brin’s `Earth’, you can almost touch the possibilities.
Cherie Noel
Damon,
This little sci-fi short was a helluva ride. I love what you did with that prompt, and I love the way you turned the tables on your mc...so smart and sassy.

Now for the shameless begging part.

Would you please write more in this world, with these characters?

Pretty please?
Dina
Nov 08, 2012 Dina rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Dina by: GR M/M Romance Group
Too freaking weird for poor little me. Sleazy main characters - I can't call them "heroes" - and shudder-inducing sex scenes. Good worldbuilding for such a short story, though.
L-D
I like Damon Suede as an author. Hot Head was my very first M/M book and it's still one of my favorites. I think the main reason that I couldn't enjoy this story was because of the photo itself. The photo is intensely creepy to me, and since I was picturing it the entire time I was reading the story, I couldn't get into the heat between the characters. I was a bit grossed out.

(more comments just added - upgrade review to 4 stars): As I thought about my review, I wanted to add some additional co
Nicole

I thought this was really good until the very end (the last page or two), at which point I found one of the characters' attitude shift jarring in its abruptness. But I rounded up because this little story is free and certainly worth reading. It also gives some interesting and useful backstory for Grown Men, a novella which I found excellent and certainly superior to this story. It also has some elements from this story that make this story feel like a rough draft for that novella. The w
Jess
Edited Jan 2012

I am upping the rating to 4 stars because Damon did write a sequel. I did not realise that Ox out of grown men was the brother in this free story. Many people that now read Seedy business will love being able to jump straight into Grown Men :) The extra world building and backstory makes everything more enjoyable in my mind.

3.5 Stars

Great concept and ideas but it felt way to rushed. This story could easily be turned into a 30,000+ story because it has so many possibilities.

The c
MandyM
This is a really clever, erotic and funny short story with a Scifi setting. Neither of the two protagonists are good people yet I was drawn into their situation and was by turns shocked, amused and mesmerised. The glimpse we get of this very inventive future world is not enough. And I believe there is a sequel (maybe even full-length) to come. I'll definitely be pre-ordering that.

I think I have learned more phrases for my M/M lexicon in this one story than in the past 2 years of reading this gen
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Damon do NOT read this

(view spoiler)
Lasha
Prequel to Grown Men.

Normally I don't like sci-fi based stories, but this short story changed my mind. Funny, original and hot, this was a great read. I mean, a MC who deals in stolen semen? You have to check this out! Plus toss in Damon Suede's way with words and I cannot read to read Grown Men.
Sadie Forsythe
That was...well...interesting. It's about semen a pirate and a mercenary who happens to have sold his brother's gonads. That should tell you something about the story. Actually that should tell you a lot about the story, maybe even everything you need to know about it. It's just this side of gross, the sex is very similar to that in Grown Men, the MC has a whiplash change of heart (though he's supposed to have had an epiphany as a result of his brother's lesson) and the whole thing is just a lit ...more
Kate Aaron
read this in the goodreads mm giveaway...at first I was disturbed by it, but something about the story just kept coming back to me...it certainly stood out from the rest in the collection, and had something about it, even if I can't work out exactly what.
Rachel
This story was insane! And I mean that in the best way possible! The story had great world building, and the entire thing was so creative! This was a very fun read, very unique and one that I will definitely remember from the HSD event.
Vivian Archer
Ridiculously funny. I wish it were longer. I also learned that I must have grown up in a box because there was so much new vocabulary that was eye opening.
Mandy Beyers
This story was wild and crazy! What an enjoyable ride - I don't think anyone other than Damon Suede could have taken this premise and made it work, but he did.
Bookbee
Could I give a story about Sperm Piracy anything less than 5 Stars? Never!

Great world-building with more than a touch of humour!
Ace Bannon
Wow! Fantastic introduction to this author's work. Great story, hot action, intriguing characters. Looking forward to more from Damon Suede.
Colleen Coover
Raunchy, funny, surprising, gross, smart, hot, silly, tight, clever, rich, imaginative, vulgar...
DELICIOUS.
Nikki
Okay...that was way outside the box. What can I say? Read it for yourself.
Jae Jaggart
I read this as part of the Don't Read in the Closet anthology (2011?). It was filthy, hilarious and totally original! When I read, the story is like a movie unrolling in my mind, and I don't think I'll be forgetting some of the freeze-frames on this one quickly! Yikes! Totally read this one if you want a palate cleanser (term carefully chosen) after a little too much plain old romance or angsty reading. I guess there's some sort of romance here but you have to wade through a LOT of bodily fluids ...more
Victoria Zagar
Mercenary Beirn has sold his brother's testicles to HardCell, an organ harvesting company. The only problem is, he's got to get them first. He thinks it'll be an easy job, but things are about to get complicated in ways he never even envisioned...

You might have guessed from the description that Seedy Business is not your typical M/M romance. You'd be right. Seedy Business holds nothing back in describing the grim world its characters inhabit; one of organ and semen harvesting for a thriving blac
Boo
Actually it's more Erotica than Romance. Anyway I enjoyed it a lot. Even with the short amount of pages the world building is absolutely convincing, some of Beirn's inner thoughts are downright hilarious and I liked the moment when 'little' Zed knocks giant - hell, this fella is two and a third meters tall O.o - Beirn over judo style. Never underestimate body size. ;) I like these two and would love to see them again - preferably along with Ox and Runt. :)
Now with Seedy Business I have read five
  • Dog Days of Summer
  • You and a Billion Blue Tiles
  • It's the End of the World As We Know It
  • More Than Words
  • Outfoxed (Glitter Fox, #1)
  • Appearing Knightly
  • Surf's Up
  • Say a Little Prayer
  • The Elements of Love

Damon Suede grew up out-n-proud deep in the anus of right-wing America, and escaped as soon as it was legal. He has lived all over and along the way, he’s earned his crust as a model, a messenger, a promoter, a programmer, a sculptor, a singer, a stripper, a bookkeeper, a bartender, a techie, a teacher, a director... but writing has ever been his bread and butter. He has been happily partnered for

More about Damon Suede...
Hot Head (Head, #1) Bad Idea (Itch #1) Grown Men (HardCell, #1) Don't Read in the Closet: Volume Three Horn Gate

“Somewhere high overhead on the other side of the freighter, metal ground against metal making a sound like angry mechanical whales fucking.” 4 likes