Start by marking “A High and Hidden Place” as Want to Read:
A High and Hidden Place

A High and Hidden Place

After she witnesses the live telecast of the murder of Lee Harvey Oswald, the man who assassinated President John F. Kennedy, strange dreams and terrifying images begin to plague Christine Lenoir. Christine realizes that there's nothing for her to do but to go back to the place of her childhood in France to reconstruct her past. Christine learns that her nightmares are rea ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 271 pages
Published December 31st 2006 by Center Point (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A High and Hidden Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A High and Hidden Place

Connie
Christine Lenoir had repressed her childhood memories of losing her family during World War II. At age 6, the orphaned French girl from Oradour-sur-Glane was taken to a convent . The nuns, called "angel mothers" by Christine, cared for her and other war orphans. She was told that her parents died of influenza since the truth about her parents' death was so horrific.

Memories came back to Christine as an adult when she heard the sound of the bullets as Jack Ruby shot Lee Harvey Oswald on live TV i
Tara Chevrestt
This entire novel was incredibly vivid. It really brings history to life. I truly felt as tho I was watching the Lee Harvey Oswald assassination on televsion, seeing the mourners walk past Kennedy's coffin, and while reading the part about that awful day in Oradour 1944, my eyes were as big as saucers and my hand was pressed to my mouth in revulsion. This author made history come alive.

It takes place in two different eras and in two different countries. Part of it is in 1960s United States. The
Bethany Wade
Feb 05, 2013 Bethany Wade rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would give this book more stars if possible!! As a Senior in college, I wrote my thesis on the rescue of Jewish people in Occupied France. In all of my research of this time period, I never came across this town or the story of the massacre that occurred there! It is the nature of humanity to forget, and I applaud authors such as Lucas who are making sure that we never can!! I love how the author not only teaches us about this dark event in history, but she also teaches us about humanity's cap ...more
Lara
Sep 18, 2007 Lara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fascinating story to read, especially so soon after reading "Stones From the River," which looked at WWII from the perspective of German civilians. This novel focuses on a particular civilian massacre in WWII France, and it is enlightening to learn about how destructive the war was to people far removed from events like the Holocaust. The writing is sometimes a bit wooden but the emotional force of the story makes up for it.
Kathleen McRae
Apr 07, 2014 Kathleen McRae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a novel but Oradur was actually a small village in France that suffered extermination under the Nazi regime with close to 100% of its residents murdered during a Nazi raid.In this book Christine is a small girl who escapes the raid by hiding in the woods and is placed in an orphanage run by nuns where she is raised.As an adult she travels to America and begins having flashbacks . this sets her on a course to discover her past and uncover the secrets of Oradure.
Herbert
Sep 22, 2015 Herbert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Geweldig mooi beklijvend gevoelig en zo mooi geschreven. De materie is gigantisch erg maar zoals de schrijfster het hier neerzet eigenlijk heel erg mooi. Ze brengt het verhaal zoals het gebeurd is met werkelijke en mensonterende feiten maar toch straalt in haar boek de warmte van de mensheid ook uit. Ik heb al behoorlijk veel WOII verhalen gelezen maar dit is echt een topper. Ik zou deze aan iedereen meteen aanraden......
Dank je wel 'Christine uit Oradour'
Shirley
Boring. I would've given it 2 stars if the ending wasn't that good.
Annabel
Allereerst wil ik kort wat vertellen over mijn fascinatie met wereldoorlogen en specifiek de tweede wereldoorlog. Als kinds af aan ben ik geïnteresseerd in wat mensen beweegt om bepaalde gebeurtenissen op een bepaalde manier te laten verlopen. Maar ook hoe het systeem van de maatschappij werkt, de cultuur en de sociale interacties. Om het kort samen te vatten vind ik het menselijke gedeelte in oorlogen erg fascinerend, met nadruk op de psychologische aspecten. Toen dit boek op mijn deurmat viel ...more
Romadare
3.5 stars. If I ever get a chance to travel to that part of France, I would be very interested in visiting Oradour. For that reason I am glad to have read the book. The atrocity suffered by that village is not well known. At the end of the book, the author lists similar attacks carried out in other parts of Europe during that time. I just didn't feel the writing was that good. It was a little boring at times.
Gwyneth Stewart
Oct 29, 2013 Gwyneth Stewart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Christine Lenoir was a child growing up on a small country village in France during the years of WW II. Her life was relatively untouched by the war until it was almost over. In June of 1944, German troops entered her village, rounded everyone up, and shot the men and set fire to the church, where the women and children were. Christine and her best friend Colette had snuck off to the woods outside town to play and thus escaped the massacre.

After the destruction of her town and death of her famil
Donna
Jan 12, 2012 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Christine Lenoir is taken by the hand to a room filled with other girls and shown to a bed that will be hers for the next several years. The good nun Mother Celine tells everyone that this is "Christine for Oradour" (France).

Christine is told that her family died of the influenza and she grows up believing this. When she is much older and happens to be in the United States (1963) doing work at a magazine, she is awakened to her past by the assassination of John F. Kennedy and the shooting of Lee
Erin
Jun 19, 2014 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to love this book, but I kept feeling as if there was a distance between me Christine. I wanted to know more about what happened in the States, perhaps to have had this go in somewhat chronological order, instead of flitting back and forth between the past and the present. Perhaps it would have resonated more, then.

It was as if we were being told this narrative by someone else, someone that it didn't happen to.

Having said that, this is historical fiction that moves and grips you. The s
Linda
Mar 18, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not expect to like this book that I picked up in a library book sale for less than a dollar. But I'm Holocaust reading these days and it seemed to fit the bill and, hey, it was a dollar. WTH! As I started reading I was wary of some of the churchy overtones but I kept going. For two days now I have been in a blue funk having finished this powerful read. It moved me to do a little research about the real events that happened in the book and makes me want to visit the little town involved. Th ...more
Peter Mongeau
Reviewed by Ellen Gable Hrkach on CatholicFiction.net:

A High and Hidden Place is the remarkable story of one woman’s quest to uncover her past. The novel begins in 1963 when 25-year-old journalist Christine Lenoir watches in horror as Lee Harvey Oswald is shot live on television. She begins to have flashbacks and vivid dreams about her life as a young child. Raised by religious sisters (Christine calls them “angel mothers”) in a convent in France, Christine is led to believe that her parents die
Florence Demarey
Enkele jaren geleden ben ik zelf naar Oradour geweest en wat ik daar gezien heb zal mij altijd bijblijven. Daarom was ik erg enthousiast over het feit dat er een roman over dit dorp te lezen viel. Als een debuut vind ik dat Michele Claire Lucas een erg knappe prestatie neerzet: vlot geschreven, verveelt niet, veel emoties verwerkt, de spanning en (jammer genoeg de waargebeurde) gruwel... Het tweede gedeelte van het boek is wel sowieso beter dan de eerste helft en sommige dingen vind ik niet echt ...more
Betty
Aug 07, 2011 Betty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting book. A fictional account of a little known true story. Christine is a survivor of the massacre at the little town of Oradour-sur-Glane on June 10, 1944. The Nazis went into this little village and killed 842 men, women, and children. They shot and burned them, trapping them in a barn and a church. They then went through the town and burned the houses. It is not known why they did this. Perhaps they believe there were Resistance fighters hiding there? No one really knows. Christ ...more
Cindy Weatherford
Feb 28, 2008 Cindy Weatherford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those interested in WWII.
I have always loved reading about WWII and this is probably the best I've ever read about that time period. It is about a girl who was orphaned when her family was massacred by German soldiers in Oradour sur Glane, France. Even though the story is completely fictional, it is based on an actual event. One of my favorite things about this book is that it represents the same event from several different viewpoints. This is one of the saddest books I have ever read. I literally cried so hard through ...more
MJ
Oct 25, 2011 MJ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michele Claire Lucas is to Oradour-sur-Glane as Tatiana de Rosnay is to the Vélodrome d'Hiver. Two places had it not been for their novelsI would never have known existed. After finishing A High and Hidden Place, I had to know more. Goggling videos about “Oradour survivors” will lead you to survivors’ accounts of what actually happened on that day of June 10, 1944. There was the baker worried about his burning gateaux, and the bullet riddled pram still exists. Sadly I finished the book on the da ...more
Belinda
Aug 02, 2015 Belinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Een stukje uit de geschiedenis van de Tweede wereld oorlog waar ik helemaal niets van wist. Het is in Roman vorm gegoten maar is echt een aanrader voor diegene die meer van de verborgen geschiedenis van de tweede wereld oorlog wil weten. Vaak vergeten we de "gewone burger" die zoveel meemaakte in die tijd.
In dit boek een "vergeten" geschiedenis uit Frankrijk. De hoofdpersoon heeft een soort van 'flash backs" in haar dromen. Maar ze weet echt niet waar de beelden vandaan komen. Ze gaat terug naa
Sharon
Jan 17, 2017 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book deserves a 5 for subject matter, but not for writing style. It would benefit from some editing. That being said, the story it tells is very important. On June 10, 1944 Nazis entered a small town in France and, for no reason that has ever been discovered, massacred the entire population. The men were shot and the women and children were burned to death in the church. As the author points out, this was only one of several Nazi massacres which are fairly unknown today.
Saphira Bm
Jul 30, 2014 Saphira Bm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wat een prachtig boek. heel anders dan normaal in die zin dat ze gewoon opgegroeid. . zo lijkt het. totdat ze getriggerd word door wat er op dat moment in de wereld gebeurt. je ziet hoe opeens het verleden bij haar komt opspelen en haar zoektocht in wat er gebeurd was.zelf nog nooit gehoord van oradour en door dit boek heeft dit plaatsje voor mij ook een beeld gekregen.
boek is zeker een aanrader
Bachyboy
Jan 14, 2012 Bachyboy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having visited Oradour Sur Glane in 1992, I found this a very moving and disturbing novel. Christine has always believed her parents died of influenza as the nuns told her. However, flashbacks of gun shot sounds and a woman in a flowery dress lead her to her true origins - Oradour and one of a small handful of people who escaped the Nazi atrocity. Worth reading.
Melita
Aug 17, 2012 Melita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book & found it difficult to put it down, even with all the catholic tones & references in it, it sets what the times were like back then. This girls struggle, her thoughts, her feelings. I was deeply moved with his book!
Darla
Jul 03, 2010 Darla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reminded me a lot of Sarahs key, showing how people just living their lives can have everything change in an instant. The horror that people face during times of war, and how it affects their entire lives is something that you just don't like to think about, but really hits home in this book.
Gisele
Mar 27, 2016 Gisele rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A story about a journey back to Oradour and to the horrors of wartime France. Author's first novel and I thought it was well written...the beginning is a little confusing but the body and ending flow more easily. Sad and shocking but a good read nonetheless.
Janedepa777 DePasquale
The characters are fictious, but the historical events are accurate...and haunting. At times, I wanted to shake the character, who often seems stuck. But, the story is so compelling it's worth it. A hard read at times, but it tells a story of WWII that is rarely talked about.
Sara Brown
Jul 25, 2015 Sara Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A story about Oradour-Sur-Glane, a village massacred by the Nazis. A girl comes to grips with her childhood memories of being one of the very few survivors of that terrible day in time. Heartbreaking.
Chrissie
Apr 24, 2010 Chrissie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chrissie by: Tara
What draws me to this book was the little bit of text available at B&N. A perfect description of life in Paris (and other European cities) that remains today. Why I love European cities!
Ina
Jul 26, 2014 Ina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prachtig, indrukwekkend boek over een van de vele 'vergeten' tragedies uit de 2e wereldoorlog.
Het is niet te bevatten tot welke gruwelen mensen in staat zijn.
Jen
Aug 12, 2009 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An intense and intimate book about a little known atrocity from WW II. Wonderful read, overall I'm uplifted.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Obedience
  • Wat als...
  • The Widow and Her Hero
  • Winter in June (Rosie Winter, #3)
  • Warrior Girl: A Novel of Joan of Arc