Start by marking “The Mark of Athena (The Heroes of Olympus, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Mark of Athena (The Heroes of Olympus, #3)

The Mark of Athena (The Heroes of Olympus #3)

4.49  ·  Rating Details ·  250,100 Ratings  ·  12,692 Reviews
Grca badge winner
Annabeth returns in the third installment of the biggest series yet from Rick Riordan, author of the #1 New York Times best-selling Heroes of Olympus, Kane Chronicles, and Percy Jackson andamp; the Olympians series.
In The Son of Neptune, Percy, Hazel, and Frank met in Camp Jupiter, the Roman equivalent of Camp Halfblood, and traveled to the land beyond the gods to complete
Published October 2nd 2012 by Disney-Hyperion Book (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Mark of Athena, please sign up.

Luke J. Schelvan They've all already been released. Hope you like them!!! I hope that Rick Riordan writes another book!!!!!
Can't Wait Books of 2012
2,452 books — 15,840 voters
YA Novels of 2012
1,324 books — 10,630 voters

More lists with this book...

Sasha Alsberg
May 25, 2016 Sasha Alsberg rated it it was amazing
My favorite book in this series so far!!
Lara
Where the previous books in the series have been funny, action packed and adventurous, The Mark of Athena does it infinitely better. This book has it all: character and relationship development, and action packed plot. Basically, this book was the bomb:

The book picks up from where we were at The Son of Neptune . We finally, finally get to see Percybeth reunited an entertaining fashion (view spoiler)
Ela
WHAT KIND OF AN ENDING WAS THAT, HUH? WHERE WAS THE HAPPY ENDING? Oh my God.... Percy and Annabeth.... why why why why why

******

I won't lie, this book was the book that I was the most excited about in this series. This was the book that all the seven demigods were finally going to meet each other for the first time, and start their quest. AND of course, the Percabeth reunion (whooooooooooooooooooooo)!!!!!!

Rick Riordan hasn't failed me yet. His characters are still what I love about his books the
Sabrina
My Not-So-Final Final Review

Let's start this review in the most eloquently put way I can: I have no idea how to write this review.

When I finished this book a while ago, I would log onto Goodreads every single day and every single day, I would look at my pre-review and think, how can I write this review? What should I include, what should I put emphasis on? I would simply just stare at my laptop's screen until my mom called me down for dinner.

I wish I could write this review to the high calibar
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
OH GOD OH MAN OH GOD OH MAN.

I just ... I can't even ... I can't.

Well ... Good job Rick Riordan. You have written another glorious book. Congrats. I salute you.

But ... YOU ARE ALSO A HUGE TROLL, AND YOU ARE STOMPING ALL OVER MY FUCKING HEART, AND THAT ENDING WAS SO SAD AND BEAUTIFUL, AND HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO WAIT A YEAR FOR THE NEXT ONE. HOWWWWWW.

... But okay, okay. Let's start at the very beginning. (A very good place to staaaart.)

In his usual trollish fashion, Riordan left the previous book i
Zanib  Sajjad
Jan 08, 2013 Zanib Sajjad rated it it was amazing
Latest Edit:
Oh man, oh man oh man oh man! Confession: First thought that came to mind when the book was released: How will Percabeth react to each other? A kiss? Dramatic hug/cry scene? Honestly, I really want to see more going on in that area. Sadly, I'm not getting my copy until the next few weeks.... I'm in control.... I hope they kiss in front of everyone, you know... WHAT? I'm in control- gosh....
Photobucket
..............

Photobucket

Edited:
Ok, WOW? Is that the cover? And is that Jason and Percy... Fighting? And
Kai
Oct 07, 2016 Kai rated it really liked it
“Delaying death is one of my favorite hobbies”

Gods, how I missed these books! Why did it take me so long to continue this series? Why did I let Rick Riordan down?

It was just great to return to the world of the Greek and Roman gods and monsters. Entertaining and so incredibly hilarious! Oh man, I loved this so much. The Mark of Athena has a few tiny flaws, but that doesn't stop it from being an amazing read.
Maeve
Oct 23, 2011 Maeve marked it as to-read
WHY, RICK RIORDAN?! Why would you do that to us?! I just waited a year for Son of Neptune and now you are making me wait AGAIN for Mark of Athena! All I can say now is: WHAT THE HECK?!
COME FASTER, 2012!

edit 10/23/11:

What the... well, only good thing is that it's September this time, instead of October. Oh well. See ya in a year!
Leah
Oct 29, 2012 Leah rated it it was amazing

Those were my two reactions when my sister told me the book was about to come out. I can't wait for this book!!!!! (you probably already figured that out by the pictures. he he.) The cover on the book seems so... dramatic. It looks like Percy and Jason are about to fight. Guess I'll just have to wait. Wow, the more I think about it, it is really hard to wait. (sigh)

After awhile
One day guys only one day!!!

After finishing the book

woohoo! I finally finished the book! :)

Oh wait...the next book comes
Jessica
Oct 05, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: made-me-cry, own, 2012
FINALLY FINISHED October 5th:

*Dramatic sobbing from girl writing this review* WHY RICK?!!! WHY?!!! Why must you torture me with these gosh darn cliffhangers and these year long waits?!?!?! Do you just enjoy seeing your faithful readers suffer? Do you revel in our pain and anguish from chapters such as THAT PENULTIMATE CHAPTER!!! YOU KNOW THE ONE I'M TALKING ABOUT!!! How could you do this to us?!?!? And to the characters?!?!? Those two in the penultimate chapter, yeah them. That was a fate worse
Nicklein Mae
Jun 03, 2016 Nicklein Mae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cant-wait-books
Pre-Reading: When I started Heroes of Olympus, this book hasn't been published yet. So, I think it's time for me to dive back into this world. Stoked!

Post-Reading Edit: (3Jun2016)

4 stars!

As per usual with Mr. Riordan, this book was freaking hilarious. Percy and Leo's antics made me clutch my sides and had me dying of laughter hundreds of times. One of my favourite Leo Moments was his encounter with Narcissus. But nothing beats his convo with Aphros. That one was pure gem.

“We have trained all t
Izzy Lightfleur ~ ON HIATUS
-_- Chapter fifty-one, second half. Be warned.

In The Mark of Athena, Percy, Hazel and Frank meet up with four others from Camp Half-Blood: Jason, Piper, Leo, and Annabeth. This book's main conflict is pretty simple: Go to Rome, stay alive. Their goal is to make it to Rome, find Hazel's brother Nico, and find the Doors of Death.

This book takes place all over, but the main setting is on Leo's warship: The ArgoII. They visit Kansas, Atlanta, and some more places. ;)

I loved, LOVED, that Annabeth's
10/11/12
Just finished it. Shall post my review when I'm more coherent. But goodness, grab your copies now!

10/3/12

People, I know it's out and it has a cover. If you must know, I AM DYING TO GET MY HANDS ON A COPY. Gimmmmeeee!

---
I just finished the The Son of Neptune and I am so excited for this I might just keel over and die right now.

But where's the fun in that right? I will miss the release of the cover and I will never get to see the day of the Percy Jackson casts reunion.

So I'm wondering wh
Chloe
Aug 05, 2015 Chloe rated it it was amazing
THAT ENDING. Best in the series so far, can't wait to read the next one!
Amber Robertson
“Wisdom’s daughter walks alone
The Mark of Athena burns through Rome
Twins snuff out the angel’s breath
Who holds the key to endless death
Giants’ bane stands gold and pale
Won through pain from a woven jail"

The Mark of Athena is the third book in the Heroes of Olympus series. The book starts off with Annabeth's perspective. She's feeling a cold presence on the ship as the Greeks sail into the Roman camp in order to reunite with Percy.

Unfortunately, since these characters will never catch a break,
Cait (Paper Fury)

I don't really know how to explain my feelings here, peoples. HOW ABOUT LIKE THIS??
description

ARE WE STARTING TO PAINT A PICTURE HERE OF THE INCREDIBLE PAIN I'M IN RIGHT NOW? LIKE. NO. AND WHAT. AND PLEASE STAHP, RICK RIORDAN, YOU MALICIOUS LEAF.

**hyperventilates**

Okay, but really. Let's talk about this book.

This is my 8th Riordan read, and it is excellent. Probably the best so far. I was woefully bored in book 2: The Son of Neptune but completely in love with book 1: The Lost Hero. And The Mark
Clau R.
Apr 20, 2015 Clau R. rated it it was amazing
4.5, really. I don't know why, but I liked "The Son of Neptune" better (just a little bit). Anyways, this book was AWESOME. Percy and Annabeth have my heart <3.
Elesia
Apr 09, 2015 Elesia rated it it was amazing
Oh my god, this book was awesome!! My favourite of the series so far!! I love Leo and loved Percy and Annabeth in this book so much!! That ending was crazyyy, so going to read House of Hades asap!! Looooved!!
Vane J.
Rick Riordan has come a long way with this series. And I mean it both literally and metaphorically. Literally because duh, it's the eighth book about these characters - if that isn't long enough for you, then I don't know what is. Metaphorically because if you contrast this with the original series, you can see how much mature it has become: The first books were fun and all, but this... this is the real stuff.

But let's get on with the characters first.

Now the seven demigods from the Great Prophe
Helen 2.0
2.5. How are all these kids still alive? Natural selection should have picked them off years ago because clearly they're too dumb to stay out of trouble...

Yet another Rick Riordan book that is longer than it needs to be and is full of bad jokes that make me scold myself for laughing. Don't get me wrong, I love Rick Riordan most days of the week, but when is he going to stop being predictable? And when will he admit that platonic friendships between girls and boys are in fact possible and he does
Grace (LovingDemBooks) Z.
Buy this book HERE for CHEAP with FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING

3.5 of 5 stars (Please read my rating system further below). THIS IS SERIES IS GETTING REALLY EXCITING. AND DEVASTATING. WHY ANNABETH AND PERCY???? WHYYYYYYYYYY

My rating system: (I do use half stars.)
5 - I do not use the 5 star. Not because a book might not be worthy, but because a book is never perfect.
4 - I loved it! There weren't too many flaws, and I had no trouble getting through it. (A 4 star rating is the highest rating I've ever
Jess
Oct 12, 2012 Jess rated it really liked it
June 2-OH. MY. GODS. The cover. Percy & Jason fighting??!!?!?!?!?! (Actually I totally saw that happening) I WANT THIS NOWWWWWWWW. Come on Rick. Give us a sneak peek at least :)

6 more days....No. I want it now.

10/11. Finished at 11:30pm. no. just no. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! WTF RICK?!?!?!?! ARE YOU TRYING TO MAKE ME HATE YOU? YOU CANNOT DO THAT. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!. I'm going to go curl up in a ball and cry until House of Hades comes out.
Charetta
Sep 10, 2012 Charetta rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
ONLY like 0~20DAYS!!!! Wait a second
description
I have to say that even though like 20 days is horrible its better than a year ago. Really Rick do you enjoy watching people being tortured cuz I have to admit it happens alot with you. Any way the cover of TMOA is really good but really bad at the same time. (BTW Jason your rear end is gonna get kicked by my boyfriend)I just hope nothing bad happens to Percy and Annabeth. OH and to anyone who hasent read the first chapter that was relesed heres a tip DON'T DO
geez..
Oct 11, 2011 geez.. marked it as to-read
Why oh why am I here again!?

I want this book right now! as in will drive all the way to S.A., ring on Riordans door and ramsack his house looking for a draft, copy, something...
The dread is killing me!!

so originally I was going to wait until Jan. or something to buy the book. That way I would only have to wait a couple months for The Mark of Athena. Sad to say i have no self control I disappoint myself. :( Temptation was too high.

Since I cant go back in time I might as well rant about how exic
Lore
oh
I see
YOU'RE REALLY GOING THERE, MR RIORDAN?
stop making me love these characters so much

Inge
I'm going to be taking a break from this series for a little while. These books should be getting better, and I should be enjoying them. Instead, I'm just getting more and more annoyed by the fact that Riordan uses the exact same formula over and over again. Granted, it's probably earned him a couple million bucks, but it really dragged me down. The beginning and the ending were really good, but the middle 300 pages were just... ugh, it's always "crew meets obstacle, crew beats obstacle, crew fi ...more
Liz
Feb 21, 2015 Liz rated it really liked it
My thoughts about:

Percy and Annabeth

Both. I love both.

Frank, Hazel and Leo

The plot

No more comments. There would be too many spoilers otherwise...
Too much happened. Too many surprises and thrilling things and unexpected and expected changes...

And finally...the ending...
The cliffhanger of the cliffhangers.

I cannot even write a proper review. This book killed me. It literally killed me. My heart broke.
Everything about this book is thrilling and tragic. I wrote about the second book, that I couldn'
Jess♡
Aug 16, 2016 Jess♡ rated it it was amazing
GODS remember how i said last book was the best so far?? OK THIS ONE IS THE BEST SO FAR!!! oh my god that was amazing! that was amazing! that was amazing! from the beginning, to that heart!stopping!ending! incredible. it just worked so well. ok i admit i did skip some pages on pipers POV but the forced-het-romance between her and jason is so annoying, i'm sorry!
ANYWAYS WHO'S READY TO START THE HOUSE OF HADES AT 2:40am?? this girl
Lady Jaye
After Reading:

Frankly, this was sub-par and not at all worthy of Rick Riordan and the characters he's created (By that I mean Percy and Annabeth, not the new people. The others' creation was sub-par to begin with).

What we have here is some very shoddy work. Too many cooks spoil the broth and the many narrators made for a choppy and boring story. The characters were very flat. Mr. Riordan has managed to create a singularly annoying character in Coach Hedge. Piper and Leo are not far behind. Jason
Erica
Oct 03, 2012 Erica rated it it was amazing

Okay, that has got to be the BEST CLIFFHANGER HE HAS EVER WROTE (and yeah i meant it as a pun) if youve read the ending you'll know why . .

i have NO IDEA how im going to be able to wait a whole year for this book to come out . . . so until then, here are my predictions

1. Percybeth reunites. No doubt about it.

2. Probably going to make a stop at CHB because it was mentioned earlier that the giants (or their warriors whatever) were attacking BOTH camps. but it seems unlikely since they sailed
who of the 7 is the strongest? 431 1211 Jan 18, 2017 12:55PM
stupid Octavian 8 29 Jan 13, 2017 09:00AM
Smith English 4250: The Mark of Athena 574 pages 1 4 Nov 03, 2016 08:01PM
Otis and Ephialtes are Dionysus's counter? 2 4 Oct 18, 2016 04:24PM
Do you think Piper and Jason's relationship is legit? Do you like them in general? 281 360 Sep 20, 2016 11:43AM
Bolivar Class of ...: Summer Reading 1 7 Aug 14, 2016 10:19PM
  • The Runaway King (The Ascendance Trilogy, #2)
  • The Council of Mirrors (The Sisters Grimm, #9)
  • Out of Sight, Out of Time (Gallagher Girls, #5)
  • Chasing the Prophecy (Beyonders, #3)
  • A King's Ransom (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #2)
  • The Kings of Clonmel (Ranger's Apprentice, #8)
  • The Fiend and the Forge (The Tapestry, #3)
  • The Last Guardian (Artemis Fowl, #8)
  • Goliath (Leviathan, #3)
  • Tiger's Destiny (The Tiger Saga, #4)
  • Sweet Shadows (Medusa Girls, #2)
  • Dark Days (Skulduggery Pleasant, # 4)
  • The Rise of Nine (Lorien Legacies, #3)
  • This Isn't What It Looks Like (Secret, #4)
  • The Fire Chronicle (The Books of Beginning, #2)
  • The Black Book of Buried Secrets
  • The Sorceress (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #3)

More about Rick Riordan...

The Heroes of Olympus (5 books)
  • The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus, #1)
  • The Son of Neptune (The Heroes of Olympus, #2)
  • The House of Hades (The Heroes of Olympus, #4)
  • The Blood of Olympus (The Heroes of Olympus, #5)

“We're staying together," he promised. "You're not getting away from me. Never again.” 2198 likes
“I try not to think. It interferes with being nuts" - Leo Valdez” 1583 likes