Start by marking “Dark as Day” as Want to Read:
Dark as Day

Dark as Day (Cold as Ice #3)

Set in the universe as Sheffield's previous novel Cold As Ice, Dark As Day is a hard science fiction novel set 30 years after the Great War, and interplanetary war that nearly destroyed the entire human race, and left horrifyingly dangerous weapons caches to threaten human survival.

The Solar System is finally recovering from the Great War - a war that devastated the planet
Published March 6th 2002 by Tor Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Dark as Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark as Day

Jim Mcclanahan
Dec 16, 2015 Jim Mcclanahan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as his Heritage Universe series, but still quite satisfying as the wind up to Cold as Ice and The Ganymede Club. A sinister plot to destroy inhabitants of the "Belt" is afoot and not readily perceived by its intended victims. A new and powerful computational entity and the potential discovery of interstellar life provide complicating distractions. Well written with interesting characters. One of Sheffield's last before his untimely death.
By far the most interesting and ultimately disappointing part of this book is the detection and attempt at decipherment of a SETI signal. Sheffield made a genuine, if novice attempt at presenting the challenges such a task would require.

(view spoiler)
Sep 12, 2009 Joe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a sci-fi novel sequel to Cold as Ice (or maybe it's the third in the series -- goodreads says 3, amazon calls it #2).

This book can stand alone, without reading it as a sequel, but it definitely would suffer as a result. This book includes new characters, but old characters are not fully fleshed out. That's not so bad if you've read the first one, but with a little bit more development, I think the author could have struck a balance that would fill them out a little more in this book, and
Sep 05, 2008 Raja99 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mcpl, ebooks-ereader
Why I read this book: Fictionwise/eReader released their software as a free download for iPhones, and I was pleased to be able to read books I hadn't look at in years. Dark as Day seemed particularly interesting, so I checked it out from the MCPL as well.

Charles Sheffield was my favorite American Hard SF author from the late 1990s until his death in 2002. (The only other likely candidate is Ted Chiang, but he's a lot less prolific.) Like Stephen Baxter, he packed his books with interesting ide
Not as good as Cold as Ice. That book ended with a nice hook I thought would be picked up in Dark as Day, but instead it all the events of that book were barely mentioned. Instead, a new possible threat is emerging, but then everything goes off on a tangent toward the end of the book, like the author just got sidetracked, or so wrapped up in one part of the story he forgot about the rest.
Michael Kich
Oct 14, 2016 Michael Kich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've got to re-read this one, too. I remember I loved this novel when I first read it, like all of Charles Sheffield's novels. He was a great sci-fi writer, and it's a shame that he died as he did and when he did.
Apr 27, 2009 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I enjoyed this story enough to stay up until 3am to finish it. One needs to read Cold as Ice first if you want to read the stories in order.

The Great War is over and humans have spread across the solar system, but mathematician Alex Ligon's complex computer model has just predicted that humanity is inexplicably doomed within a century. At the same time, scientist Milly Wu has identified what appears to be an extraterrestrial signal, and the idiosyncratic genius Bat searches for weapons from the
Mar 12, 2012 Maddalena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah, I missed scifi so much.
I missed Charles Sheffield so much.
I missed the Cold as Ice universe so much.
This book is really good (though the ending is a little... anticlimatic? But yeah, still good), with many wonderfully round characters (including several women, all very different from each other), fascinating story arcs and, well, Bat. But you can't describe Bat, so please go read the books :)
Jeff Oaster
Aug 27, 2012 Jeff Oaster rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not quite as good as Cold as Ice, but still a hugely entertaining novel from Sheffield.
Todd rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2016
Lewis Szymanski
Lewis Szymanski rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2016
Neal O'Neal
Neal O'Neal marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Morten Falkegard
Morten Falkegard marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Ioan rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2016
Ryan added it
Robert Vick
Robert Vick rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2016
Rodrigo marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
FunnyBusiness rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Pat Beagan
Pat Beagan marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Sandro rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Lirio Dendron
Lirio Dendron rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2016
B.denijs marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Keith marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Cringe marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Jadda Moffett
Jadda Moffett rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2016
Trevor Hart
Trevor Hart marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Shiva in Steel (Berserker, #11)
  • Space Race I: Solar Flare
  • Subspace Encounter (Subspace, #2)
  • The Robert Sheckley Megapack: 15 Classic Science Fiction Stories
  • The Fredric Brown MEGAPACK ®: 33 Classic Science Fiction Stories
  • Year's Best SF 14
  • The Fourth World
  • 2184
  • Mind Changer (Sector General, #11)
  • Velvet Dogma
  • Darwin's Bastards: Astounding Tales from Tomorrow
  • The Time Travel Megapack: 26 Modern and Classic Science Fiction Stories
Charles A. Sheffield (June 25, 1935 – November 2, 2002), was an English-born mathematician, physicist and science fiction author. He had been a President of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America and of the American Astronomical Society.

His novel The Web Between the Worlds, featuring the construction of a space elevator, was published almost simultaneously with Arthur C. Clarke's novel
More about Charles Sheffield...

Cold as Ice (3 books)
  • Cold as Ice  (Cold as Ice #1)
  • The Ganymede Club (Cold As Ice, #2)