Start by marking “The Light of Western Stars” as Want to Read:
The Light of Western Stars

The Light of Western Stars

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  426 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Purchase one of 1st World Library's Classic Books and help support our free internet library of downloadable eBooks. Visit us online at www.1stWorldLibrary.ORG - - When Madeline Hammond stepped from the train at El Cajon, New Mexico, it was nearly midnight, and her first impression was of a huge dark space of cool, windy emptiness, strange and silent, stretching away under ...more
Published November 1st 2006 by Echo Library (first published 1913)

To ask other readers questions about The Light of Western Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Light of Western Stars

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtryTrue Grit by Charles PortisBlood Meridian, or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthyBury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee BrownNo Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy
Best Westerns
200th out of 503 books — 651 voters
Overland Red by Henry Herbert KnibbsThe Virginian by Owen WisterChip of the Flying U by B.M. BowerHeart of the West by O. HenryThe Rustler by Frances McElrath
Early Westerns, 1880-1915
19th out of 79 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa
One of my favorite Zane Grey novels. I love the romance, the tension, the devotion, and especially the character Gene Stewart. If you are one who reads the ending first, don't do that with this book - it will spoil a lot of it.

PS. Be sure to read the sequel, Magesty's Rancho, as well.
Stefaniab
"The Light of Western Stars" is the 12th Zane Grey book that I've read, and far better than I expected. "Stars" takes places roughly in the same year that it was published, 1914, about the same time as the publication of "The Rainbow Trail." "Stars" begins in the same fashion as the former book. A stranger from the East journeys to the Southwest, and the fish out of water plot commences. This time, the newcomer is Majesty Hammond, a wealthy woman from a patrician New York area family.

Grey writes
Fred Ann
Another wonderful story set in the west. The plot was as intricate as was some of the trails the characters were challenged with to follow in this romance of the old west. A new York Society girl finds her self when subjected to and challenged by a real cowboy, Stewart. Madeline follows her stars to seek her solace and peace as she becomes to really know herself.
Anne
This is Zane Grey's best western ever! I've read some of his other books like "Riders of the Purple Sage" and "The Last Trail" which where good but this one was amazing!!! As soon as the book started there was action and I knew that I would throughly enjoy this title. I wish that he wouldn't write out the swear words that the cowboys use. (He has only used 2 words) but in some titles (like Riders of the Purple Sage) they swore ALOT!!! His descriptions of places and landscapes and so such, are re ...more
Chris Hamburger
I'll be honest, it sort of trailed out for me. You knew what was going to happen but predictability wasn't the issue with this book. For me, there wasn't enough of the cowboy life, enough of the girl mixed up in it all. I found myself not really caring to pick this book up again, took me a while to read not because it was difficult, because it lost interest as it went on. I believe grey could've sped up Madeline and Stewart's romance. Could've added more to teh roughness of teh cowboys. It was g ...more
Byron Ferguson
This book spends tons of time with characters describing activities of the west- a travelogue for the easterner. As such, it is at times for those of us who have probably seen a bunch of westerns, live in the west, etc.- a bit slow here and there. But a slow start builds the relationship between Gene Stewart, cowboy; and Madeline "Majesty", the Easterner. This is my first Zane Grey read. Turns out I picked a romance... and its a good one. This could be turned into a fantastic western someday.
Jason Reeser
A rather slow story but I enjoyed the characters and the setting. At times Grey's prose is more poetic than I expected.
Doug Dams
The title of this book is a great title. The story doesn't live up to it but it does okay. A New York City Society girl buys a ranch that becomes the center of a western war between the ranch cowboys and Mexican bandits. How the New York gal finally manages to win the loyalty of the ranch cowboys and become accostomed to the west and still manage to save the ranch makes up the rest of the story. Plenty of gunfights and chases and rustled cattle in this book.
John Darling
This may be the worst Grey book I have ever read; it was slow and often silly.

The "Cowboy Golf" chapter was unreadable. After a few pages I moved on and at one point there is a helter-skelter drive in a big white car of unnamed make and model that was supposed to be going rapidly. Maybe the car was, but several chapters covering the ride were NOT.
Jude Brigley
I love the opening and descriptions of the West. Beauty is a typical Gray heroine in some ways - the spoilt, rich girl coming out to the West and having her values questioned. It's a bit too similar to other novels. enjoyable but not my favourite - 'Riders of the Purple sage' it is not!
Claudine
Years ago my sister and l read this book over and over. We fell in love with gene stewart along with the rest of the cowboy gang.
Some years later our good friend married gene stewart, it took us a bit to figure where we knew the name. He once again became a hero
Fredrick Danysh
Madeline Hammond gets off the train in the middle of the night in El Cajon, New Mexico expecting her brother to meet her. But he is not there and the station master warns her that the town is rowdy and that there is a revolution across the border in Mexico.
Amanda
One of my favorite Zane Grey Westerns!
Meghan
I love this book. Every time I need a pick me up I read this book. It only takes me a little time to read, but when I first read it, it took me longer because it's a verbose book, but I even then I had a hard time putting it down.
Victoriacolver
I loved the book, it made me want to live on a ranch. But I was very disappointed with the ending and I did read it before I finished the book, not a good thing to do but I can't help myself!
Nicole Martin
I cannot explain how much I love Zane Grey books. The ending of this one killed me! I need more, I need to know how they end up. I'd like to think happily ever after.
David Bergsland
This is the best book I've read for years. I really got into the characters, loved the descriptions of the country.it was a real treat
Samantha Glasser
Aug 05, 2014 Samantha Glasser marked it as to-read
Read this book for free through Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1095/1...
Jacqueline
Not his best effort. He describes every detail of a motor car trip to Mexico, every rock and cactus.
Violet

Copyright of 1914 ... still the best writer of westerns in 2014.
John
Dec 27, 2012 John rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
new york socialite moves west to join brother black sheep of family
Christine
One of the Top Six in his Top Ten.
Alison Fletcher
more 3 1/2 stars OK not one of his best
John Heinrich
John Heinrich marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
  • The Untamed
  • The Tall Stranger
  • The Log of a Cowboy: A Narrative of the Old Trail Days
  • Showdown At Yellow Butte
  • The Good Old Boys
  • Sagebrush
Pearl Zane Grey was an American author best known for his popular adventure novels and stories that presented an idealized image of the rugged Old West. As of June 2007, the Internet Movie Database credits Grey with 110 films, one TV episode, and a series, Dick Powell's Zane Grey Theater based loosely on his novels and short stories.
More about Zane Grey...
Riders of the Purple Sage The Last Trail The Lone Star Ranger Betty Zane The Rainbow Trail