Modern Buddhism: The Path of Compassion and Wisdom - Volume 1 Sutra

Modern Buddhism: The Path of Compassion and Wisdom - Volume 1 Sutra ( Modern Buddhism)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  730 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Introduction and Encouragement
This eBook Modern Buddhism - The Path of Compassion and Wisdom, in three volumes, is being distributed freely at the request of the author Geshe Kelsang Gyatso. The author says: "Through reading and practicing the instructions given in this book, people can solve their daily problems and maintain a happy mind all the time." So that these bene...more
Published January 1st 2011 by Tharpa Publications (first published October 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Modern Buddhism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Modern Buddhism

Melissa
Barely managed to finish skimming it. A lot of people apperently found it immensely helpful but I found it pretentious and repetitive, as though he was trying to add length.
Chapter two was just depressing, not that it made me depressed so much as annoyed to the point I needed to look at Huston Smith's World Religions to remind me why I like Buddhism and its happy compassionate nature, I mean you look at the Dalai Lama he's always smiling, but that chapter went on about suffering through life ad...more
Joel
It's hard to give a mediocre rating to a free book on Buddhism but three stars seems appropriate. I've had a passing interest in Buddhism for years and this book served as an acceptable refresher. As some other reviews have noted, Modern Buddhism spent an inordinate amount of time focusing on suffering and went into historical lore tangents that were hard to piece together into a cohesive story. Nonetheless, there are positive aspects to Gyatso's book.

Buddhism seems to focus on inner peace and b...more
Joon Ho
The book is titled "Modern Buddhism" as according to the author "presentation of Dharma
is designed especially for the people of the modern world". Book I covers "Sutra", 2 "Tantra" and 3 "Prayers for Daily Practice"
My main issues with this book are:
1. The author does cover some fundamental doctrines in Buddhism but it is not often explicitly stated so and to one new to Buddhism it is difficult to separate doctrine from the author's opinion. For example concepts like the three marks of existence...more
Sue
I found parts of this book tedious and some parts very enlightening. When the book got deeper into the more, let's go with supernatural, beliefs l was unable to relate with what the author was trying to say. I don't honestly believe in reincarnation or samsara, but when l got into the sections about meditation and how to achieve enlightenment, l found this book to be pretty interesting. I know l need more inner peace and l am also desperately trying to shake off my very Western materialism and l...more
Lisa Aguilera
Dec 15, 2011 Lisa Aguilera is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm seeing a lot of correlation on perception and awareness between this book and Power vs. Force: The Hidden Determinants of Human Behavior. Interesting how whenever you read a couple books there seems to be an underlying correlation between them. Very philosophical.
Stevie Dean
This book was my introduction to Buddhism…I was astonished by the powerful imagery conjured in my mind through the words of the author…this book began a journey for me, however, it served more as a catalyst for further enquiry and away from the dogmatic approach to Buddhism presented by the author, this does not diminish the fact that this book had a huge impact in the direction of my life.
Andrew
This is an introduction to Buddhism which outlines many of the philosophical ideas behind the religion. Whilst there is much repetition throughout the book, I think it would need to be re-read a number of times to really grasp the concepts.
Emma Georgeosn
A great introduction to Buddhist beliefs. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and found it very insightful. Although I didn't agree with all the ideas many did resonate with me and I will endeavour to use some of this wisdom is my own life.
Sherry
This is a summary of Buddhism, the first of 3 volumes. It's simply stated and I got a slightly different understanding of the religion. The writer goes through the basic tenants, specifically the six perfections and the practice of emptiness. Emptiness is difficult from a western perspective, and I realized as I read that I associate the word "empty" with loneliness and sadness. However the concept of flow, or oneness, or Tillich's "ground of all being," is much easier for me to grasp. I think I...more
Mar
this book makes the practicality and application of buddhism into life simple and clear. before reading this book, i thought buddhism was all about the time when you are on the cushion and meditating, but it is clear that we can bring the meditation into everything we experience with compassion, or wisdom. through putting these teachings into practice, it is clear that it is such a good way to make my life meaningful with joy and inspiration! i see a lot of reviews about the described suffering,...more
Lwestbirch
This is a book that needs to be read and reread to truly understand it.
Chrislene Lombard
What I liked about this book was that it was free and on Buddhism. I think that's all that I liked about it. I was confused reading this the majority of the time. I couldn't even finish it. The fluidity of the book was like a hurricane. There was no water, all wind. I wish I could give some examples but since I really didn't like this book, it was hard for me to focus.

Since I am somewhat new to Buddhism, I was looking for a book that gave me a clear sense of the principles. Many of the examples...more
Alonzo
This is a good overview and practical manual for learning to walk the Buddhist path. It's similar to Words of My Perfect Teacher, but this has more actual examples of meditations to use in daily practice.

(It is Volume 1 of 3, all of which were free on Amazon.com at the time I got my copy.)

If you are even a little interested in Buddhism in general, and/or Tibetan Buddhism in particular (esp. as it has evolved in our time and in the "West"), this is an excellent place to start.

It covers several...more
Jamie George-holland
One of the best books I've ever read on Buddhism. Has a very clear presentation of both Sutra (part 1) and Tantra (Part 2). This book is based on the teachings of Tibeten Buddhism, and specifically the Kadampa Tradition of Je Tsonkapa, one of the most respected Tibeten Buddhist masters in history
Jeff Crompton
I don't agree with the author of this unpleasant little book that my unenlightened life is composed entirely of suffering, but the few hours I spent reading Modern Buddhism provided me enough suffering for the next several of my countless future lives.

Sonnische
This is an excellent treatise on Buddhism, and although it can be tough slogging, I think the venerated and gifted Buddhist teacher has done an amazing job gathering a vast trove of history and spiritual teachings into an accessible set of volumes. The three ebooks are offered free for downloading, while the hardback contains all three at a price.
Michael Marsh
***Disclaimer*** I didn't finish it.
The general message of this book seems to be, "you're doomed to all kinds of supernatural unpleasantries after death if you don't follow the one true way, and will be blessed with enlightenment and wisdom after death if you do". I would imagine after finishing the whole thing, one would have to double-check to make sure Buddhism wasn't an Abrahamic religion.

Pick up Mindfulness in Plain English instead if you want relevant, non-dogmatic, and actionable spiritua...more
Penelope Mascardi
Free ebook sent to me by Atisha Meditation Center in Lausanne, months ago. This is the first English book that i read, the language is very simple. I understand almost everything, what a surprise!
This book discusses the theory of Buddhist thought, practice, topics for meditation to attain enlightenment, inner and perpetual peace.
Estefany Pinzon
very well explained, the author keeps telling at the begining that is is buddhism knowledge for the west since in his homeland this knowledge is almost natural certainity but we need lo learn from zero, and he suceeded, some therms are a little more complex which force us to read the complete series but that is good because at the end you want to do it.
Miguel David
Hard to read. Based on the principle of emptiness to achieve nirvana this book is very formulaic in the sense of "you must do this and that". In my personal opinion it also introduces fallacies in its logic so I cannot agree with it.
Naga Di Kandang
I acknowledge that I know little of Buddhist traditions, outside of a common American's awareness of zen. The author's perspective, though, was not at all what I associate with Buddhism and I found it completely unappealing -- life is awful, it always has been awful, and even if we make progress in reincarnation it will still be awful, but he knows the One True Way out of the mess. I made it about 40% through, giving it the college try, but just found it too unpleasant.
H FB
I can't finish it. It's repetitive and it focuses entirely too much on karmic views. While, in my opinion, karma is an important aspect of Buddhism the true spirit of Buddhism is to live this life fully through kindness...I guess I simply lean more towards the books that focus on present day & how Buddhism helps cope with modern-day problems, as well as how to find inner piece in amidst of all of it.

To each his own...but this book was just not for me.
El Keitho
this book changed my life and started my path to study Buddhism
Michel Gonzalez
Empieza bien, cosas muy prácticas, pero después de la mitad del libro sigue con cosas muy míticas que una persona que no es creyente o que no tiene el conocimiento suficiente lo tomará como fantasía o nada útil.
Lisa Finefrock
Disagreement of basic principles aside, the book itself isn't very useful. it explains over and over again (to the pojnt of nauseum) what we should be doing without any explanation of how to actually do it.
Robert Graves
There is nothing modern about the perspective of this book. It spends far too much time rehashing silly, pointless mythologies of Dharma, and it truly flunks, in my opinion, when it speculates about how painful and harsh our prenatal existences are. This book makes Benjamin Hoff's assessment of Buddhism in the Tao of Pooh appear to be dead-on: Remember, good vinegar is supposed to be bitter.
Shannon
May 13, 2014 Shannon rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shannon by: Lisa Smoot
Wonderful information but slightly difficult to understand at times.
Alex
I read this because it was available as a free Kindle book. I was expecting reading it to be a more positive and calming experience than it turned out to be, instead it seemed to explain some of its tenets in a very negative way and ultimately this approach put me off. I'll be looking for something else that is a bit more accessible.
Ben Vogel
I like more of Buddhism than I do of most religions, but don't find much appeal in the dogmatic portions of it. Taken for what Buddhism offers best, there is a great deal that pleases me in learning how to view life, how to value and pursue the important things in loves, friendships, work, and materialism. That is all, grasshopper.
Robert Hill
It is impossible to rate a book such as this, it contains truths which can only be interpreted by the unique individual. I have been drawn to meditation practice for many years but have only recently been able to practice on a consistent basis. Everyone should decide for themselves the relative worth of meditative practices.
Difficulty relating.... 2 9 Jul 03, 2012 03:45AM
  • The Zen Experience
  • One Dharma: The Emerging Western Buddhism
  • The Art of Power
  • Write That Book Already!: The Tough Love You Need to Get Published Now
  • The Words of My Perfect Teacher
  • Curious Folks Ask 2: 188 Real Answers on Our Fellow Creatures, Our Planet, and Beyond
  • Getting the Words Right
  • The Soulmate Experience: A Practical Guide to Creating Extraordinary Relationships
  • How to Be a Writer: Building Your Creative Skills Through Practice and Play
  • No Time to Lose: A Timely Guide to the Way of the Bodhisattva
  • Buddha in Blue Jeans: An Extremely Short Simple Zen Guide to Sitting Quietly and Being Buddha
  • Success is Not an Accident: Change Your Choices Change Your Life
  • Manual of Zen Buddhism
  • 25 Days to Better Thinking & Better Living: A Guide  for Improving Every Aspect of Your Life
  • Portable MFA in Creative Writing
  • The World of Tibetan Buddhism: An Overview of Its Philosophy and Practice
  • Homemade Health - Home remedies your grandmother knew. Simple & effective treaments from the pantry
  • Lose Weight Without Dieting
Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso is a fully accomplished meditation master and internationally renowned teacher of Buddhism, particularly know for the revival of the Kadampa school of Tibet.

From the age of eight Geshe-la studied extensively in the great monastic universities of Tibet and earned the title ‘Geshe’, which literally means ‘spiritual friend’. Under the guidance of his Spiritual Guide, Ky...more
More about Kelsang Gyatso...
Introduction to Buddhism: An Explanation of the Buddhist Way of Life The New Meditation Handbook: Meditations to Make Our Life Happy and Meaningful Transform Your Life: A Blissful Journey Eight Steps to Happiness: The Buddhist Way of Loving Kindness How to Solve Our Human Problems: The Four Noble Truths

“If we want to be truly happy and free from suffering, we must learn how to control our mind.” 4 likes
“When our wishes are not fulfilled we usually experience unpleasant feelings, such as unhappiness or depression; this is our own problem because we are so attached to the fulfilment of our wishes.” 1 likes