Start by marking “Portrait Of A Spy (Gabriel Allon, #11)” as Want to Read:
Portrait Of A Spy (Gabriel Allon, #11)

Portrait Of A Spy (Gabriel Allon #11)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  12,499 ratings  ·  790 reviews

Gabriel Allon, secret agent, assassin and master art restorer, returns in a spellbinding novel from the #1 New York Times bestselling author

Europe is exploding. And one man must find out why.

For Gabriel Allon and his wife Chiara, it was supposed to be the start of a romantic weekend in London. But nothing is ever that simple when you’re an off-duty spy and assassin.

Bombing

Published (first published 2011)

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Yesssssss! Another Gabriel Allon book.
I wonder how Silva will top himself this time. The last two were the best in the series. Untoppable?
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
*Rating* 4
*Genre* Thriller

*Review*

Gabriel Allon is known around the world as the angel of vengeance, and an international operative who has worked for the Israeli Intelligence machine called the Office, since 1972. He is a man who will stop at nothing to see justice done even if it puts his own life at risk.

After the events that occurred during The Rembrandt Affair, Allon has finally decided to retire from the Office. He is living the quiet life in Cornwall, England as an art restorer along wit
Sue
Another reliable entry in the multi book story of Gabriel Allon, spy and assassin, originally recruited by the Israeli agency known as "the Office" to help with retaliation after the murder of Israeli athletes at the 1972 Olympics. He was recruited out of art school and this is a field to which he returns after each assignment, having developed skills as an art restorer over many years.

As this new episode begins, Gabriel has left that spy's life behind and once again retired to Cornwall to paint
Jay Connor
Silva again justifies my claim that he is today's best writer of international intrigue. He is to our world of jihad what Ludlum and Le Carre were to the cold war -- unrivaled. Not only does he write "ahead of the headlines" but imbues this struggle with courage and character in the face of unspeakable evil. Unlike Clancy and Flynn, Daniel Silva writes of a world which is more complex and nuanced than a testosterone tempest.

His lead is Gabriel Allon, an art restorer and at-large agent of Israeli
Jim
This is the 11th Gabriel Allon novel from Silva, and it is very good. At the same time, when you've done ten previous titles in a series, then it's easy for things to start to seem repetitive and derivative of previous outings, and that's once again the problem here. The last time around, the problem was surmounted by a particularly good plot line, but this one takes a bit of a step back on the plot front, making the more formulaic aspects of things more noticeable. Perhaps some of it is because ...more
Jeffrey
Is it my imagination or have I read this book before. Actually, I have not, but the plot is nothing to write home about. Its not that I am tired of Silva's ability to write because he still remains a great read, but the plots are a tad tired, and the characters are looking a little frayed around the edges.

I liked the book, but its too similar. Formulaic in the extreme.

Silva may be a master of espionage, but his stories are depressingly the same.
Shawn Davis
Gabriel Allon, Mossad Officer extraordinaire, has decided to retire from the espionage business. He and his wife, Chiara, nestle into a faintly reclusive life in a small British community. Allon, however, cannot get away from his past. No matter how many paintings he restores, restoring normalcy in his own life escapes him and he finds himself again at the center of terrorism's storm.

I love Silva's novels. They were my introduction into the thriller genre, and I look forward to them so eagerly t
Kenneth P.
Not exactly a page-turner. There is action in the beginning and end. In between you have endless dialogue, interior monologue, chapters that plod along until you're ready to scream. Characters are paper-thin. I mean that literally since they are little more than names on a page.

It's clear from the outset that American intelligence agencies are inept and naive. Thankfully the Israelis come to the rescue and take over a huge CIA anti-terrorist effort. Hero Gabriel Allon, an Israeli agent, gets a
Lewis Weinstein
Another good Silva thriller. So far, he seems able to keep adding new wrinkles to his set of characters and issues. Silva has a unique way of building tension even when you suspect what is about to happen. This one had some plot surprises. Silva's descriptions of places and great art is also as excellent as always.
Eric Wright
One of the most interesting and informative spy stories I have read in a long time. The main character, Gabriel Allon is unique: an art restorer extraordinaire and a retired international operative from Israel's spy agency. Gabriel and his wife Chiara are in London as an outing from their isolated cottage in Cornwall where he has retired. Suddenly he spies a man whom he is sure is a suicide bomber. What to do? Kill him? But what if he is mistaken?

He follows the bomber into a crowded place in Lon
Caroline Bock
I read through this in one day -- a mini vacation! Another captivating, intelligent thriller by Daniel Silva. What I love about his work is that it feels so current, so real and provocative about extremism and the men and women who fight it. (I don't want to give away any spoilers, but Saudi Arabia is prominent in this novel). His main character, Gabriel Allon, remains emotionally deep and thoughtful (almost too much, but then he's sharing exposition with us in the least cumbersome way possible) ...more
J.F. Penn
I am a Gabriel Allon fan and love to read these books. As ever, Silva doesn't disappoint as the book opens to bombings across Europe with the threat of violence moving towards the US. A new wave of terrorists has emerged and Israeli assassin/ art restorer Gabriel Allon must step in with his team to find the people responsible. Recruiting billionaire business woman Nadia al-Bakari means Gabriel must confront his past and try to protect Nadia from discovery.
I particularly enjoyed the detailed expo
Maria Stancheva
Не знам дали се наситих на стила на Силва или тази книга наистина не беше особено впечатляваща, но нямаше нито един момент, в който книгата да ми беше интересна.
Ако трябва да изтъкна хубавите моменти, ще спомена сюжетната линия с търговете, информацията за Дубай и проследяването на паричните потоци.
Издразни ме тази непрекъсната измъченост на Габриел, която в първата книга, която прочетох за него беше ексцентрична и гъделичкаща любопитството, но след третата, вече ти идва да кажеш "ох, до гуша
John Carter McKnight
Daniel Silva is a man of strong opinions: he clearly believes that the West is locked in an existential struggle with Islam, that Arab culture is violent and backward generally and that its treatment of women is absolutely intolerable, and is no fan of those in the West (including a nameless US President who ran on a campaign of "Hope") who practice appeasement. So, if that perspective's intolerable, don't even try.

If you can run with Silva's ideology, you'll find a taut, well-crafted thriller o
Darcy
What I like about these books is that there are things I can count on when picking it up. I know Gabriel will be very reluctantly pulled back into a job for moral reasons, not because he missed the work. That Gabriel will pull together his team, who are really like a very quirky family that fights all the time, but still gets the job done. The job will end up with cooperation between Israel, Great Britain, and the US, with those very famous heads of the spy industry forced to work together. Beca ...more
Phloe
What's not to love in this 400+ page hardcover with yet another crazy yarn about an Israeli assassin who moonlights as an Italian renaissance art restorer. He keeps trying to retire to his cottage in Cornwall with his gorgeous wife (also a retired Israeli agent) who happens to be young enough to be his daughter. But can't! Too many crazy multi-national mishaps...soooo much fun to read while doing laundry.

Like, if you're gonna read some espionage thriller shit, you might as well go for the gold.
Dana
The 11th in the Gabriel Allon series, retired Israeli assassin and super-spy, who just can't seem to stay retired. (Can we stop pretending at the beginning of each book that he is retired?)

This time Gabriel is pulled out of retirement by the CIA when he almost stops a suicide bomber in Covent Garden, the third in a series of coordinated attacks sweeping Europe by a mastermind new Islamic terrorist cell. Why does he almost stop it? Because the bumbling British police tackle him just as he is abou
Ryan
The latest episode of the Gabriel Allon series, which does not materially differ from the earlier episodes. Allon thinks he’s “out of the game” only to be pulled back in to fight the terrorists again. This time he is assisting the CIA to track down a rouge asset (Rashid) the CIA had cultivated, but who has now defected and is issuing the rally call to jihadists from his secret hiding place in Yemen. Rashid is based loosely on Anwar al-Awlaki (now deceased by U.S. Gov’t drone attacks on Sept. 30, ...more
Catarina
Mais uma vez Daniel Silva consegue surpreender!

A forma como escreve, deixando a ficção misturar-se com factos reais, é maravilhosa. Quando chegamos ao final e vemos o que é ou não verdade, fica sempre aquela sensação de que aprendemos mais alguma coisa enquanto líamos um livro sobre espiões!

Seguir uma história com Gabriel Allon como protagonista nunca cansa! E desta vez, seguir também o percurso de Nadia, enquanto mulher saudita que luta em silêncio por uma vida melhor para todas as mulheres ár
Chris
I've anxiously awaited each Gabriel Allon book since I discovered them three books into the series. This is the first with which I wasn't completely enthralled. It was still a great read, but seemed more formulaic (Cataclysmic World Event draws Our Hero back in, Our Hero meticulously plans The Mission and enlists the Amazing Woman, The Mission goes Horribly Wrong, Our Hero improvises and Saves The World) than previous entries. That is not my biggest complaint as it's a formula that works for me. ...more
John
I've always really enjoyed the Gabriel Allon series some I started with "Death In Vienna" in Vienna. So I was somewhat surprised when I opened up this one to find that I had missed two, but I have now corrected that failing and I had already got the next one. I'll ration myself to one every six weeks or so.
I found the last two I read "The Secret Servant" and "Moscow Rules" rather less satisfying than their predecessors, with a "caper" element that was enjoyable but less thought-provoking; so I w
Sheila
Aug 24, 2014 Sheila rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: friends and family
Recommended to Sheila by: myself
Portrait Of A Spy is brilliantly written. Daniel Silva again justifies my claim that he is today's best writer of international spy novels.

Gabriel Allon, an art restorer and at-large agent of Israeli Intelligence. The setting is on terrorism which has haunted the world for last few years and it still exists at present day. By setting his stories against the disparate worlds of art and intelligence, the writer constantly reminds us of the humanity at the core of any effort worth fighting for.

The

BJ
This is the first time I had to force myself to keep reading a Gabriel Allon story. At 70% (no page numbers on Kindle), I was considering giving up, but I'm glad I finished it. The last quarter of the book was excellent, more like what I expect when I buy one of Silva's books. That last 25 percent was a five-star read, but the first 75 percent was very disappointing. I was uncomfortable with the fictionalizing of current political issues (both US and Arab) that are not yet complete. Only when it ...more
Julie Johnson
Another great book in the Gabriel Allon series! Always enjoyable, well written, suspenseful. I've read many in this series and have enjoyed them very much. I'm not usually into spy books but I find the cast of characters so engaging and the plots so clever that I don't really care what genre it is, it's just a good adventure.

I would suggest starting earlier in the series then working your way up, as this is the latest in the line and I think it's important to travel with the characters for a whi
Nachman Kataczinsky
This is a book in the series dealing with the "legendary" Israeli spy Gabriel Alon. The book reads fairly well, though the action is a bit slow.

The only fault I found with this book is the main character and the actual "spying" operations. The character is weird, to say the least, and absolutely impossible. The operational planing and execution are as weird and unlikely.

Towards the end of the book the unlikely becomes silly and irritating.

I don't believe in bellyaching spies that despite their b
Heather
Another fast paced, "don't want to put down" Silva thriller! I honestly thought about giving this book a 4 star rating instead of a 5 star because, at this point, all of the Gabriel Allon books are a bit similar. Then I realized why should I penalize Silva for that? His well developed characters, Allon, Isherwood, Shamron..., are wildly entertaining. The action is nonstop. The story flows while incorporating fact into it. If Silva changed the formula, I'm sure we'd all be disappointed. Recommend ...more
Daniel
It's the same formulea. The same familiar faces - Carter, Graham, Shamrot, Navot and of course Gabriel and Chiara and the rest of the Alon Crew. So, it's a nice summer read about the bad people being punished by the good people.

The only issue I had with it is the Obama bashing in the book. That was just weird considering what a hawk is actually is. And, am I really supposed to feel bad for Carter who is being driven to use expensive lawyers to explain his use of torture to keep us safe?
Stina
Jeg er også "gammel" Silva fan, har fuldt Gabriel Allon helt fra start, med stor glæde...

Men, nu synes jeg godt nok det går ned ad bakke for Silva. Denne roman er fuldt med gentaleser, meget lang tid om at komme i gang, og trods sporadiske gensyn med fordums spænding, når den på ingen måde op på tidligere niveau.

Sproget er stadig godt, bogen flyder, men der er kommet for mange unødige replikker, som udelukkende trækker ned.

Jeg holder meget af persongalleriet, men desværre er der absolut ingen fo
Peter
Daniel Silva has crafted an unusual set of spy novels set at the cusp of mid-east politics and demonology. His lead character is a world class art restorer and deadly Mossad agent. The term, ripped out of today's headlines is too often used but there is much of that coursing through Silva's novels. I am pouring through them all and hope to write a longer meta review shortly.
James
Silva writes good thrillers that are fun to read. which is a good thing because I can enjoy the escapism while overlooking the comically sensitive ruthlessness of the hero combined with soemover stock cliches and The authors conviction that all Europeans are either corrupt, soft or ussually both. Thats not even getting started on his views of Islam. Morally complex it aint.
Print Bad 4 44 Feb 19, 2014 04:42PM
The Portrait of a Spy Series 5 48 Dec 23, 2011 02:52PM
  • The Secret Soldier  (John Wells, #5)
  • Foreign Influence (Scot Harvath, #9)
  • Pursuit of Honor (Mitch Rapp, #12)
  • Power Down (Dewey Andreas, #1)
  • The Nearest Exit (The Tourist, #2)
  • The Jefferson Key (Cotton Malone, #7)
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
  • Buried Secrets (Nick Heller, #2)
  • Hell's Corner (Camel Club, #5)
  • The American (Ryan Kealey, #1)
  • The Rule Of Nine (Paul Madriani, #11)
Daniel Silva began his writing career as a journalist for United Press International (UPI), traveling in the Middle East and covering the Iran-Iraq war, terrorism and political conflicts. From UPI he moved to CNN, where he eventually became executive producer of its Washington-based public policy programming. In 1994 he began work on his first novel, The Unlikely Spy, a surprise best seller that w ...more
More about Daniel Silva...
The Kill Artist (Gabriel Allon, #1) The Rembrandt Affair (Gabriel Allon, #10) The Defector (Gabriel Allon, #9) The Messenger (Gabriel Allon, #6) The English Assassin (Gabriel Allon, #2)

“But that’s the beauty of American cable news, darling. It doesn’t have to be credible. It just has to be entertaining.” 3 likes
“taqiyah skullcap beneath it. Unlike” 0 likes