Start by marking “Dark Edge of Honor” as Want to Read:
Dark Edge of Honor

Dark Edge of Honor

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  515 ratings  ·  115 reviews
Sergei Stolkov is a faithful officer, though his deepest desires go against the Doctrine. A captain with the invading Coalition forces, he believes that self-sacrifice is the most heroic act and his own needs are only valid if they serve the state.

Mike, an operative planted within Cirokko's rebels, has been ordered to seduce Sergei and pry from him the Coalition's militar

Published (first published August 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Edge of Honor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Edge of Honor

julio
FUCKYEAH SPACEDRAGONS.

Cunning plot.

Almost gorgeous in its symmetry and opportunity for satisfying conflict, which could easily have powered even more delicious tension for another hundred pages.

The voice in the prose was more playful than what I've seen of Mr. Voinov's catalogue before, and while I haven't yet read any of Ms. Etzweiler's work before this, I assume it is a product of their collaboration. While I prefer and very much admire Voinov's typical efficiency—as my own early work suffered
Ingela
Written June 13, 2014

4 1/2 Stars - Crisp and hard about glory, honor, indoctrination, enemies, betrayal, lust, loss - but in the end also an grandly romantic story

Nowadays (since a month or so) I just need an audio book at the same time I'm reading another book. I need something good to listening to when I do all that needed stuff at home, when I'm walking, driving, trying to sleep, rest etc (or cleaning windows and ironing the freshly washed curtains afterwards as this week).

Listening to an 12
Lena♥Ribka
4,6 melting(, ) stars!

Dark Edge of Honor is a military dark science fiction novel.

YES - it is an enemies to lovers story a là Aleksandr Voinov.
Thereby everything has been said.

NO- it is not Special Forces. .

Still there are so many details that remind me of my favorite book!..
It is why I recommend it first of all to all true fans of SF.
Reading Dark Edge of Honor was like balm for my soul!
There were so many exciting Déjà vu moments!..

Without giving too much away:

There are two powe
Kaje Harper
4.5 stars. This is a military-setting Sci-Fi with some dark moments in it, as invader and resistance fighter meet, have sex, and then find something more developing between them.

Sergei is a man who has always taken to heart the tenets of the Coalition which he serves as an officer. The focus and discipline ground him, and he truly believes in the philosophy. He sees their invasion as bringing the virtues of the Coalition, with its focus on the group over the individual, to the backward world wh
Amara
My thoughts: This was a hard book for me to write a review for. I actually had to read it twice, as the first time thru was so intense of a ride all I could do was drool on myself, gasp, stutter and want to scream at the authors… “OMG what did you do?!” … and... so on and... so forth. When I finished, I had no words and was left a bit dazed, wide eyed and gaping, with only one word uttered… Dayum. A review, this does not make. Upon rereading, I am really no better off. The second time thru still ...more
¸. • * ° *❧Gwen❧ •°**★
Sergei and Mike...Sigh....

"OMG, he said...."I love you too much"...Sigh...

The Book~

"In this I found two people hopelessly in love with such endearing sweetness~ I also found rape and thank God a rape survivor and a wounded warrior~parts of this book was so realistic that I say~"

Please~Read this book with Caution~ if you are a Rape Survivor or Wounded Warrior~ and/or if matter's of the heart such as this leads to discontent within you~This is a dark and gritty fictional story~

The Book was an
Christina

4.5 Stars

*****slight spoilers

This was a great book. I fell head over heels in love with Sergei. Sergei Stolkov is a Captain in the Doctrine. Sergei is part of the force that is trying to take control of the planet Cirokko. He is young and naive. Although he is a loyal soldier, his deepest desires go against the core philosophy of the Doctrine. The Doctrine believes that every action and every decision is made for the collective good. It is ingrained in everyone. The needs of the individual are n
LenaLena
I love SciFi. I love the endless possibilities it creates to build a world in which the author can bend the everyday rules in order to tell a story with different 'what if's. This book being slashfic SciFi, it means that the World Building is World Building Light. So the reader is not forced to slog through endless info dumps explaining all the finer points of the Doctrine ideology, for instance. If you're a deadly serious, beardy, bespectacled, socks-in-sandals kind of SciFi geek, this will pro ...more
Chilli
I'm sorry that story ended. I could have listened to Jack LeFleur all day! Sergei & Mike could easily have more stories to tell 4.5 stars.

Audio & book version.
Ana_P
4 Intense-Intense-Intense Stars

When Aleksandr Voinov has a hand in writing anything, then you know it is going to be angst wrapped in angst piled on top of angst.
description

Is that what I got?
description
You can bet your bottom dollar that I did!

First and foremost, as with any novel where Voinov has a part in, I have to commend the writing. It is just so attention-grabbing, entertaining, heart-pounding, and wholly poetic.
…Sergei hadn't imagined he could be in so much pain. And it didn't stop, just wrenched him, tw
Alex
Stars: 4.5/5

Overall
In a story as gritty as the planet it takes place on, Mike and Sergei struggle with their environment, their armies, and their own feelings. While this isn't a light read, it's not overwhelmingly dark either, immersing the reader in Sergei's struggle to keep hope in what seems like a doomed situation.

The plot, the beginning of which is pretty much described by the blurb, is excellent and definitely interesting, but its the characters that, through strong writing, come alive on
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
4.5 stars. *** spoilerish ***

Mike and Sergei are on two different sides of the same war. Sergei is the assistant to the general of the invaders of the planet Cirokko. Mike is supporting the resistance of the natives. When Mike takes a picture revealing a glimpse of the improper relationship between Sergei and the general, he is ordered to seduce the young captain to gather useful information to organize an attack against the invaders.

Sergei is young and his behavior is ruled by the Doctrine - a
Experiment BL626
CAUTION: Long Review, Spoilers

Dark Edge of Honor is about a soldier and a spy on opposite side who, somehow against years of training and some brainwashing, quickly fall in love and give up everything to grab their HEA. There's war, rape, blackmail, torture, betrayal, vindication, and ultimately redemption—all excellent ingredients for a thriller of a story. Alas, I was confused, bored, frustrated, and bored by the story.

Bored. =/

The first chapter was written horribly. I had no idea what was ha
Fangtasia
Nov 01, 2013 Fangtasia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anybody who enjoyed Special Forces
This is what SF could have been, had AV not run into the issues he did with his co-author in that instance. Here we have Soldiers and a good glimpse of Veterans, with no Mercenary BS in between. Perfect! But then, we wouldn't enjoy the delicious pain and indulgent torture that is SF, would we? And that would truly be a disservice to the genre.

DEoH is a wonder of excellent world-building, engaging characters, and well-paced plot. It'll snag your imagination from page 1 and keep you reading beyon
M'rella
Loved it. The story itself, loved it. At the same time I can't stop bitching about annoying things in the book, either. Just go through my updates, some of it is there.

What I disliked the most is uneven writing, perfectly clear picture one moment and the next is like looking through a dusty window and needing a description. But I don't want actions and emotions described to me. I want to experience them with the characters. Here is an example. Sergei finds out about Mike. What do we get from hi
Helle
Anna
4.75 stars rounded up.

Look, to be honest, I almost gave up after the first chapter because I had no idea what was going on. In my opinion it's a very weak first chapter, BUT it gets better and better as you read after that. Just to give you an idea of how much I loved this book: I usually avoid science fiction like the plague; before I read this book it was probably my least favourite genre ever, but I read the synopsis and it sounded awesome (and I also recently read Incursion by Aleks Voinov
Sunne
Oh...Sergei.....

photo Kirill-Dowidoff-02_zps8c01d2ba.jpg

Okay - one could say it is a short and less intense version of "Special Forces". Some reviewers even compare Sergei to Vadim.

I don't think so. Yes, there are some silimarities like the mitlitary setting, Sergei being a soldier in a system that clearly resembles the comunism.
But I couldn't find any of Vadim's cruelty or hardness in Sergei. Acutally he was mostly a young men who wanted to be loved, acknowlegded as an individual and cherished like one.
Mike on the other hand - I h
Irina
Audible

Dark and intense enemies-to-lovers story narrated perfectly by Jack LeFleur.

Highly recommend to Special Forces and Aleksandr Voinov's fans.

***4.3 stars***
Eva
Distinctive Voinov, beautiful read... heartbreaking 4.5 stars...

WAR, PAIN, FEAR, WAR, BETRAYL, WAR, LOVE

recommended to all fans of Special Forces

“You make me forget who I'm not.”

“There is only one thing I want to be part of. You.”

Jenre
This science fiction story begins on the planet Cirokko, with Mike, who is an alliance spy. He's been assigned to report on the manoeuvres of the Doctrine forces who are attempting to establish control on the planet. The local Cirokko rebels, aided by the Alliance, are attempting to thwart this control. After spying on the general and his aide, Sergei, Mike is told to seduce Sergei in the hope it will get them vital information on the Doctrine's plans.

The main strengths and weaknesses of this bo
Snowtulip
4.5

This was such an active book in terms of how the reader absorbs the world, characters and plot. I admit that I started this book a few times without gettting far, but once I hit the 15% mark, there was no way I was stopping. I love all the care taken to build this sci-fi world, I utilized all my senses in this reading experience. The politics and plotting within the story kept me intrigued and I enjoyed the philosophical discussions that subtley happened between Sergei and Mike.

My favorite pa
Kazza
Loved this book, great co-write, seamless. I would give it 4.5 except there are no half ratings. Just the ending that took the total shine off for mine, it just....stopped. I have a few questions that a short story sequel would probably cover really well. Hard book to review without waffling, so I'll just waffle.

I understand why so many reviews reference Afghanistan, the book definitely pushed you in that direction when the two MC's are named Mike and Sergei and there is lots of sand/dust, tribe
JR
I thought this story was a slow starter, but midway, it became a snow ball rolling down mountain, carrying me on an exhilarating ride.
This is a science fiction tale dealing with polar opposites in characters. They come together with intense passion and the desire to love. Sergei is a Doctrine soldier or "zombie" as the natives call them because of their devotion to the "hive mind" that is their planets devotion to all things must be order. Mike is an Alliance Space spy sent to gather intel. Fo
Mahlet
Just bought on audiobook via Audible.com's website. A reviewer that only gave it only 1 stars says, "Yes the story is set in a science fiction world, but it clearly is a raunchy M/M romance novel"

Proof positive that even a negative review can lead to sales - I don't want heavy sci-fi, but I do love my MM romance, and I like it hot :)
Kelle
Classic Voinov!

Recommended for those who loved Special Forces!
However this is not Dan and Vadim's story but there are similarities.

Beautifully co-written with Rhi Etzweiler. The writing flows nicely.

I loved getting to know the characters.

I think the only complaint I had was the ending....I wanted more!!
Joy
Tightly written story--Sergei reminded me of a young Vadim--
Jessie Potts
I'm not sure why I waited so long to read this stunning book. I recently downloaded it because of a tweet I saw about it being a top romance book, and I heard good things about both authors. Dark Edge of Honor was a fantastic collaboration, and I hope that these two not only continue to write together, but do it soon.

Sergei belongs to a type of zombie world. It's a military world dominated by sacrifice, obedience and order. There are even careless words thrown around by outsiders that the Doctri
Elisa Rolle
Considering this is a novel by Carina Press, the ebook imprint of Harlequin, I should be surprised the romance is good, but well, I was. Sci-fi novel with a heavy military subtheme, “doctrine” as a credo and various other elements made me wonder if the romance in the story was able to not only survive but emerge. Yes, it was, and in a way that without doubt makes this a romance. Even if Mike and Sergei are of different side of the war, even if they should be enemies, even if Mike is betraying Se ...more
deirdre
rating is more a 4.5 than a 4 . . .

good solid story. good writing. i got sucked into the characters and story line and of course stayed up until the wee hours to finish the book. but there are a few issues for me.

1 - i kept having to go back and reread sections to understand the whole world building aspect, but perhaps it is because i haven't read sci-fi in a while.
2 - the ending . . .it just ended. i thought i understood the character development and was expecting more from one of the charact
Q&A with Rhi Etzw...: DEoH Discussion 65 30 May 17, 2012 04:39AM
  • Break and Enter
  • Deliverance: Hooch and Matt's Story
  • Dark Space (Dark Space, #1)
  • A Policy of Lies
  • 18% Gray (Task Force Iota, #1)
  • Outcast Mine
  • Bone Rider
  • Fragile Bond
  • Gravitational Attraction
  • Out of the Woods (Tarin's World, #1)
  • Pandora Project: Runaway Star
  • One Breath One Bullet (The Borders War, #1)
  • Strain (Strain, #1)
  • Storms and Stars
  • A Solid Core of Alpha
  • Line and Orbit
  • First Watch
  • Spice ‘n’ Solace (Galactic Alliance #1)
Dark Soul Vol. 1 (Dark Soul, #1) Special Forces - Soldiers (Special Forces, #1) Special Forces (Special Forces, #1-3) Special Forces - Mercenaries Part I (Special Forces, #2 part 1) Dark Soul Vol. 2 (Dark Soul, #2)

“Did you order it to kidnap me? Or was that its own idea?” Sergei stepped closer, fighting the urge to punch the man and then check that he was all right. None of those responses made any sense.” 7 likes
“You make me forget who I'm not.” 6 likes