Start by marking “Magical Mischief” as Want to Read:
Magical Mischief

Magical Mischief

What if magic took over everything in its path? This is the fate of the old Hardbattle Bookshop. Magic has settled in every corner and brought chaos to Mr. Hardbattle's life, driving away all of his customers. Then one day, just when Mr. Hardbattle's had enough, a young boy named Arthur stumbles in. And soon Mr. Hardbattle, Arthur, and the lovable Miss Quint are banding to ...more
Published July 1st 2011 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published June 7th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Magical Mischief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magical Mischief

Dan Rogers
When I read the description of this book it sounded like it would be a really fun and interesting story to read. Mr. Hardbattle has been losing customers from his bookstore because, to put it bluntly, the place stinks. When he does some investigating to determine the cause, he finds out that it is all due to magic. He further learns that the way to get rid of the magic is to thoroughly dust and clean his store. With such a big heart and compassionate nature, he simply can't bring himself to do t ...more
Erica
Book talk: There are few places left where magic can live undisturbed. The world is too busy, too clean, and too new for magic. So when a bit of magic finds Mr. Hardbattle's dusty, quiet, old bookshop it is delighted. Living with magic can be hard--it smells awful and can create quite a mess when it gets excited. But life is never boring when the bottom step may turn into custard at any moment. So when Mr. Hardbattle learns he'll have to move out of the shop he's worried about where the magic wi ...more
Ms. Yingling

Mr Hardbattle's dusty old bookstore is having a harder and harder time staying in business, mainly because of The Smell. To Mr Hardbattle, it smells like manure, but other patrons have complained of other odors. He consults Mrs Trinket, who solemnly informs him that he has an infestation of magic because he has provided a perfect environment for it to flourish. It could be remedied easily enough, with a good clean out and lots of vacuuming, but since magic is such a rare commodity, Mr Hardbattle
Phoebe
Nov 09, 2011 Phoebe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juv, fantasy, british, magic
Cozy British fantasies are hard to find these days, so fans of this genre will enjoy the latest by Dale. A bookshop owner discovers that magic has taken up residence in his little shop, and he doesn't know what to do. Since the magic is tricky, and temperamental, though mostly good-spirited, he must step carefully. After consulting an expert, he decides to do nothing--and for ten years, the dust gathers and the magic has its way. Business drops off to almost nothing since every person who comes ...more
Rachel Mckitterick
I feel this book deserves a higher rating. Its prob a 3 star.
Kerith
Apr 30, 2012 Kerith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
Marvelous little story about a dusty old bookshop that harbors enough magic to wreak havoc and drive away customers. The owner and his unlikely sidekicks must find a new home for the magic, but in the meantime many adventures ensue - including the always fun scenario of book characters coming out of the books to hang around and steal things. Reminded me a bit of Edward Eager and some other magical stories I remember reading as a kid.
Charlotte
Magical Mischief is a great book for kids and just an all around fun book. Anna Dale keeps you awaiting to see what happens next. With all the problems they encounter, you're always rooting for the characters. Even though it's like a lot of books containing magic, you don't really expect magic and a book shop to be in the same story.
Mark Grisham
Oct 19, 2015 Mark Grisham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun young adult fiction book. I think what I enjoyed the most was its Britishness; there's a sort of magic about English culture with its language and traditions. Without giving away the ending of this recommended book, I do wish it had ended slightly differently, resulting in more stories, but I shouldn't complain - it was fun.
Ryan
Sep 22, 2011 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun story about a special, magical bookshop (as if all bookshops weren't magical), where children are far more competent than adults. We insist that kids follow the rules, and then we don't - I can see why they look at us as if we were idiots. The magic is its own character, not something controlled by people - which makes it a bit unnerving, though fun.
Miss Clark
Jeff Raymond
Closer to a 3.5, honestly. This is a very British book about a magical bookshop and the happenings within. It starts out kind of slow, hits quickly, veers into an unexpected direction, and tidies itself up nicely. A perfectly serviceable inoffensive children's book, which may be just what is needed in some cases.
Donna
Dec 21, 2011 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This book is for readers who like magic but veer more towards the Penderwicks rather than Harry Potter. This is a fun, sweet story with lots of magical hijinks that help the plot from getting too bogged down by it's sometimes tiresome adult characters.
Amy
Feb 13, 2013 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Storyline and characters were old-fashioned but without the old-fashioned charm. It reminded me a bit of a fantastic book about magic called, The Lemonade Trick by Scott Corbett, about a boy named Kerby who get a magic kit for his birthday.
Judy
Sep 23, 2012 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book generally held my interest, but the plot fell apart at the end when the protagonists captured, detained, and moved three robbers without benefit of handcuffs, weapons, or any means of persuasion. How on earth did they do that???
Janell
Dec 05, 2011 Janell rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this might be fun for Mother/Daughter next year. But It was boring and derivitive and stinky. At least the first couple chapters were................
Mandy
Apr 27, 2011 Mandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summary:
Mr. Harbattle's bookstore is a musty old shop filled with books. But that is not all that it contains; it also houses magic, and the magic doesn't always behave...
Lorelie
Loved the concept of wishing characters out of books, and having a magical bookstore is a great idea... interesting tale.
Melinda
I really thought this was going to be a good book because I liked the cover. Unfortunately, it didn't keep my attention. I think fourth graders will really enjoy the book.
Elsa
2.5. The premise is cute, but it just didn't deliver. I also got really bored right in the middle. Fortunately the story picked up toward the end so I could actually finish it.
Underwood Family
It took me ages to finish this book because it did not really grab me. That said, I am glad I finished it because it didn't go where I expected it to, which I enjoyed.
Sensei
Sensei rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2014
Wensday
Wensday rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2011
Helen Situ
Helen Situ rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2015
Jamie
Jamie rated it it was ok
Jun 26, 2012
Ihssan
Ihssan rated it did not like it
Jun 07, 2015
Veronica
Veronica rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2013
Ami
Ami rated it it was ok
May 25, 2016
Galina
Galina rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2017
Catherine
Catherine rated it it was ok
Feb 25, 2012
Emily
Emily rated it it was ok
Aug 02, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Kendra Kandlestar and the Box of Whispers
  • The Outlandish Adventures of Liberty Aimes
  • The Ever Breath
  • R My Name Is Rachel
  • Elliot and the Last Underworld War (Underworld Chronicles, #3)
  • Shadow Spell (Seven Sorcerers #2)
  • Water Thief (Universal Companions, #1)
  • Castle of Shadows (Castle of Shadows, #1)
  • Under the Green Hill
  • Peaceweaver
  • The Faerie Door
  • Hocus Pocus Hotel
  • The Fairies of Nutfolk Wood
  • Curses & Ash (Coral & Bone, #2)