Slash and Burn (Joe Hunter, #3)

Slash and Burn (Joe Hunter #3)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  231 ratings  ·  36 reviews
The third action-packed thriller in the compelling series featuring Joe Hunter, rival to Lee Child's Jack Reacher.

Joe Hunter is always ready to help a lady in distress.

Particularly when Kate, the lady in question, is the sister of a dead Special Forces mate. Robert Huffman pretends to be a respectable businessman. But the psychopathic Bolan twins he uses as his enforcers g...more
Published 2010 by Hodder

To ask other readers questions about Slash and Burn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slash and Burn

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
I ended up picking up the third book in this series first with Slash and Burn, but it isn't detrimental to read these out of order. The book is fairly self-contained, and anything you might need to know about Hunter's previous adventures are given as an aside or in short sentences that give an adequate frame of references to readers. So I think it's okay to start here.

Matt Hilton's Joe Hunter series is a good choice for action/adventure fans who like Lee Child's Jack Reacher, Robert Crais' Joe...more
Paula  Phillips
Its time to say shuffle over to Jack Reacher , Alex Cross, John Sampson , Jack Morgan, Ty Hauck , Myron Bolitar and say hello or as New Zealander's would say Kia Ora to Joe Hunter. Joe Hunter is the new ex-military hero or more appropriately vigilante in Matt Hilton's books . Slash and Burn is book #3 of Joe's adventures and hoping for a nice peaceful vacation between jobs , Joe is interrupted. A women Kate wants Joe's help in finding her sister and since Joe used to work with her brother in the...more
Patricia
Some people have labeled Joe Hunter as a vigilante and others have seen him as a hit man. One thing is for sure and that is if you have a serious problem, Joe Hunter is the man to have on your side.

When Kate Piers showed up on the Florida beach and revealed to Joe that she was the sister of Jake Piers, a buddy from Special Forces, Joe felt obligated to help her. Kate feared that her sister Imogen Ballard was in serious trouble.

Joe and Kate travel to Imogen’s Kentucky home where they are immediat...more
Amy Lignor
This is the third book about a man by the name of Joe Hunter, and no author in the world has ever named their character better. Being a former Special Ops agent with the CIA, Joe lives his life as a hunter - a troubleshooter with the accent on “shooter.” However, when this book begins, Joe is taking a well-deserved vacation in Florida. The hunter is finally relaxing, taking some time out on his rented deck with a beer in one hand and happiness in his heart.

But like everything in Joe’s life, his...more
T.L. Cooper
Slash and Burn by Matt Hilton is an action packed thriller that takes the reader from Florida to Kentucky to Texas and back to Florida. Slash and Burn is filled with action and violence. Hilton creates a main character, Joe Hunter, whose sense of justice may not always fit inside the law but is based on his own code of right and wrong. The pages are littered with dead bodies as Hunter strives to save two sisters from criminals. Sibling love, friendship, and loyalty are all tested and reaffirmed...more
Randy
Joe Hunter was relaxing in Florida when he was approached by a beautiful young woman sent there to see him. Kate Piers was the sister of one of his comrades who'd died on a Black Ops mission to save Joe and the other guys on the assignment.

Joe didn't do that anymore.

She was looking for help in finding her older sister who'd gone missing and wasn't answering her cell phone. Kate was afraid she might be dead or held by someone-she didn't know who.

He headed with her up to Kentucky to the sister's h...more
I’ll admit to never reading any novels by Lee Child, Jeffrey Deaver, Michael Connelly or any of the other really popular male authors constantly making the New York Times Bestseller List. So when I got the Advance Readers Copy of Slash and Burn by Matt Hilton, I decided to give it a chance, as Hilton is often compared to the authors previously mentioned.

Joe Hunter, ex-CIA tough guy/hero of the Hilton novels, meets a desperate woman named Kate while on a Florida retreat. She needs help finding he...more
Book Addict Shaun
Another Matt Hilton read finished within 24 hours, always the sign of a good book. Like the other two this one was unputdownable, but it was also a better read than the other two, hence the five star reading. Hilton's first book was an enjoyable read but he only seems to get better with each book as this one proves.

The action kicks off after a couple of pages and does not relent until the Epilogue. It reads like a Hollywood script and your heart will be in your mouth throughout the whole book....more
Jo
The sister of an old army buddy of Hunter asks him to help find her missing sister. All is not as it seems though and Hunter and his cohorts find themselves coming up against organised crime. It's very exciting and reads like it was made to be turned into a Hollywood blockbuster. I liked the ending as it didn't follow the predictable route that I thought it would. This author just keeps on improving.
Steve Schlutow
The premise of the book was interesting.. I just did not care much for the writing (I don't know if its his first or second book).. I will try another as he becomes more established of an author.. Some of my current authors whom I enjoy now, I didn't care for their first books.. I will give him a chance..
Tyson Adams
I really enjoyed this book. Matt has a very good thriller here. The only reason it didn't get 5 stars was that I was a little disappointed with the "love interest" aspect, just didn't seem realistic to me. The rest was great.
Sara
The first 3/4 of the book were good, but the end was just crap! Hope you enjoy it more than I did!
David
Murder and mayhem aplenty but a good escapist read as usual with this author.
Toni Osborne
Book 3, in the Joe Hunter Thriller series

If you are looking for an entertaining, easy to read action packed story, do not look any further, this series showcasing Joe Hunter will certainly live up to your expectations. Joe is definitely the man to have on your side when things go south and drastic measures have to be considered.

The story opens when Kate Piers shows up at Joe’s Florida beach home and reveals her sister Imogen is missing and may be in serious trouble, she is in desperate need of h...more
Marni T.
So far, so good. It has all the elements to grab a reader right from the start: interesting main characters, interesting major dilemma to be resolved, and a mysterious setting. Kate Piers tracks down Joe Hunter by means of Joe's former brother at arms, Rink, who owns a Private Investigation business. Joe now works for him. The two were Special Ops soldiers, then trained CIA agents working with a counterterrorism unit. Joe uses his particular skill set in unorthodox ways to take care of "problems...more
Jacqui
I have had the pleasure of reading two of Matt Hilton's books, this is his third novel and I believe his fourth is on the way very soon. Other people have described the author's main character, Joe Hunter, as Jack Reacher lite referring to Lee Child's best selling character. I disagree, with regard to the depth of character/plot development Mr. Child is in a league of his own, however it appears with each new novel Mr. Hilton is closing the gap.

Mr. Hilton's books are fun, fast paced reads where...more
Glen
This third entry in the Joe Hunter series is basically a Steven Seagal movie in prose.

An evil Texas mobster is taking over a small Kentucky town, easily muscling in and corrupting the powers that be.

Some lady asks Joe Hunter for help. Despite being described as oh-so-formidable, of course she is captured, and spends the rest of the book as the woman to rescued.

There's some pretty exciting bits, but this book is as easily predictable as one of the monthly Mack Bolan novels.
Deborah
Hilton has been compared to Lee Child and the Jack Reacher series. But for me there was no comparison. In the Reacher books, there is always an interesting mystery that is intellectually engaging. In the Hilton book (Joe Hunter), there was too much gratuitous violence with little story to go with it. I knew how it would end half-way through the book so the last half was simply about how each character was going to get "slashed."
Terry Dicken
My first Matt Hilton book. I do believe the book is worth the read time. Not as sophistcated as a Clive Cussler, but an enjoyable read. Hilton does a good job in most of his character development so you do hate the bad guys and respect the good guys in this book. For me, these books are for pure mindless pleasure where I know how the story will come out. This is no exception, but for one twist I did not appreciate. I will read more from Hilton.
Tom Tischler
Joe Hunter is enjoying some r & r. A young woman named Kate Piers finds him
and asks for help finding her missing sister. Her dead brother Jake Piers
is one of Hunter's old comrades in arms. They travel to Kentucky to begin
the search because the sister Imogen has a home there. Almost immediately
they are attacked by a group of thugs sent by local businessman Robert
Huffman. Huffman is outwardly respectble but he has deep ties to
organized crime and a deadly reputation with a knife. Huffman is...more
John Porter
It's not *totally* bad. But it's, well, like a paint-by-numbers painting. Except it's a book. There's nothing beyond the plot, which is convoluted for the sake of being convoluted. A good writer (and, yeah, Lee Child is a good writer) could have made something good of this. But he didn't, so it isn't.
Iain
Jan 30, 2012 Iain rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
If you like your thrillers action-packed, fast-paced, violent and very easy to read... you should be following this series. Great stuff. I gather book 8 is just about to be published and 9 is in the "finishing off" stages. I have a pile to get through!
Alison Fyfe
It was fast paced and kept that pace until the end of course it was going to the good guys that win but with a little twist
Steve
I don't know if this is really a jack reacher like story but I am interested enough to read the rest of the series to find out!
Denise
Keeps me on the edge of My seat and the resolution is never what i think i have figured out. Like for an intense read.
Tom Kinney
All action, no depth of characters. Not anywhere close to the quality of the great Lee Child books.
Tstultz69
Bad guys being killed overshadowed and real character development.
  • Gridlock (Ryan Lock, #3)
  • Target
  • Rough Justice (Dan Shepherd, #7)
  • Threat Warning (Jonathan Grave, #3)
  • Closer Than Blood
  • Assassin (Samuel Carver, #3)
  • Afraid Of The Dark (Jack Swyteck, #9)
  • Between Summer's Longing and Winter's End (The Fall of the Welfare State, #1)
  • The Second Messiah
  • Bad Angels
  • Secrets From The Dust
  • Linked Through Time (Through Time, #1)
  • 20th Century Ghost: A Story from the Collection 20th Century Ghosts
  • The Comeback Girl
  • Pantheon
  • Bleed a River Deep (Inspector Devlin, #3)
  • Potsdam Station (John Russell, #4)
Matt Hilton worked for twenty-two years in private security and the police force in Cumbria. He is a 4th Dan blackbelt and coach in Ju-Jitsu. He lives in Cumbria with his wife and son.

Matt is the author of the best-selling Joe Hunter thriller series, as well as standalone horror thrillers and short stories that have appeared in a number of collections and anthologies. Matt's first novel - Dead Men...more
More about Matt Hilton...
Dead Men's Dust (Joe Hunter, #1) Judgement and Wrath (Joe Hunter, #2) Cut and Run (Joe Hunter, #4) Blood and Ashes (Joe Hunter, #5) Dead Men's Harvest (Joe Hunter, #6)